• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter-Spring 2014 Anime |OT3| People incapable of guilt usually do have a good time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Branduil

Chuunibyou Bullshit end

And so ends the heartwarming tale of the asexual relationship between a girl struggling with an undetermined autism spectrum disorder and an insensitive boy who pretends to have it. What a magical romantic story that truly seeks to examine the human condition and our empathy towards those that just don't fit in with the rest of society, whether by choice or birth.

10/10wouldwatchagainseason3when

Seems like Chuunibyou 2 is the one show this season that everyone can agree on, LOL.

Oh... that's great another Angel Beats fan! That's good to hear.

You can't watch the sad parts of After Story without seeing how they get to that point. So of course it will seem forced if you don't see what lead to those moments. I am sorry you feel that way about the show. Hope you can give the show another chance one of these days.

I think I saw over half of Clannad and I couldn't continue on. Saw most of the end of After Story.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Chuunibyou Bullshit end

And so ends the heartwarming tale of the asexual relationship between a girl struggling with an undetermined autism spectrum disorder and an insensitive boy who pretends to have it. What a magical romantic story that truly seeks to examine the human condition and our empathy towards those that just don't fit in with the rest of society, whether by choice or birth.

10/10wouldwatchagainseason3when

Yeeeeep. Like I said earlier in the thread, Chuunibyou S2 should not have been made. It retroactively makes the not-that-bad S1 worse just by existing.

PK Gaming

Glad to hear it resonated! One of my favorite anime, and I was in a similar place when I watched it.

If you liked the story, you might want to check out The Eccentric Family. Based on a novel by the same guy, and it also has a moral about not worrying so much and enjoying life, although it approaches it from a different side.

Will do!

But first, I plan on watching Gunbuster, Diebuster, and Planetes.

Quasar

Sempai sempai sempai sempai sempai sempai sempai sempai sempai sempai

i cannot wait to see finally WHEN she will change and call her by his name... for this to happen kojou will probably need to die for real ( or maybe asagi will need to step up her game a little ? ).

I wonder about that. You see that a lot in anime/manga where even after being in a relationship for a while you have one party still call the other sempai (or in other cases buchou) or something else rather than their actual name.

Lain

Kill la Kill 24

Just as crazy as I'd expect the ending of this show to be. I might have a slight complaint about
Senketsu's death
though I guess if you wanna insert some growing up message in your show, it sort of fits... but still, I'd have preferred it to not have happened.

That said, Mako managed to make a good episode great, as one would expect of such an awesome character. Not seeing her anymore is gonna be tough. Best character of 2014.
Also, MakoxRyuuko OTP.

Taruranto

Only once and that was by accident.

I WAS A TOTAL ACCIDENT, I SWEAR.

The best part for me was that after that huge tease they
decide to go back on it and show the cellphone as the winning girl at the end. At the very last second. Just to screw with anyone who had invested in that emotionally.

Wasn't he sending her away to wherever. Gotou is tsutsun so I interpret it as his way to (slowly) move on.

Granted, Samuenco writing is not exactly coherent... or smart.. or anything but I think that
LOL AND THE THEN HERO STILL FUCKED UP
is not exactly a brilliant way to end it.

Honestly the relationship in Chuunibyou should not have existed. The autism of the lead girl who sees everybody who cares about her and wishes her to face reality as evil, the uncaring unrealistic boyfriend who doesn't wish for her to get over her issues and live a life of fantasy, and their relationship based off a mother-child relationship that is frankly sick and stupid when you consider they're supposed to be dating.

And those aspects don't even begin to consider my hate for the blond girl that always says death in an improper fashion. Also the sleepy girl whose whole purpose in the show is "LOOK AT ME I'M SO SLEEPY AND CUTE, TEE HEE FUCKING HEE".

Reading about what happened, I now understand the discussion we were having about the Hollywood kiss. The issue is that if you've been leading the audience on for 20+ episodes, and their relationship barely advances besides a snail pace, and then you promise a glimmer of hope only to go "hey gais we still need to milk this for 3 more seasons, let's instead not have them kiss but have them kiss 5 seasons from now." The other issue is that as mentioned their relationship was in name only. They had the chemisty of a broom and a vacuum cleaner.

At least with what I saw before I dropped season 2. If this is what passes off as romcom for KyoAni now, they should go back and do Fumoffu again.

In short if I ever see somebody recommend Chuuni as romcom, I'll shake my head in defiance so vigorously.

Like this
tZfPuGG.gif

CorvoSol

Wasn't he sending her away to wherever. Gotou is tsutsun so I interpret it as his way to (slowly) move on.

Granted, Samuenco writing is not exactly coherent... or smart.. or anything.

At the absolute last moment the show reveals that
in spite of sending her on a journey, Cellphone still calls Gotoh. You COULD call it moving on slowly. You COULD interpret the ending to mean that Masayoshi and Gotoh got married. But let's be honest. What really happened is neither of those things.

GIANT ROBO 1

God Bless you, Imagawa. You magnificent, glorious, wondrous man. Bless you, and the delightful works of your hands.

And there are still 6 episodes to go.

Branduil

Honestly the relationship in Chuunibyou should not have existed. The autism of the lead girl who sees everybody who cares about her and wishes her to face reality as evil, the uncaring unrealistic boyfriend who doesn't wish for her to get over her issues and live a life of fantasy, and their relationship based off a mother-child relationship that is frankly sick and stupid when you consider they're supposed to be dating.

And those aspects don't even begin to consider my hate for the blond girl that always says death in an improper fashion. Also the sleepy girl whose whole purpose in the show is "LOOK AT ME I'M SO SLEEPY AND CUTE, TEE HEE FUCKING HEE".

Reading about what happened, I now understand the discussion we were having about the Hollywood kiss. The issue is that if you've been leading the audience on for 20+ episodes, and their relationship barely advances besides a snail pace, and then you promise a glimmer of hope only to go "hey gais we still need to milk this for 3 more seasons, let's instead not have them kiss but have them kiss 5 seasons from now." The other issue is that as mentioned their relationship was in name only. They had the chemisty of a broom and a vacuum cleaner.

At least with what I saw before I dropped season 2. If this is what passes off as romcom for KyoAni now, they should go back and do Fumoffu again.

In short if I ever see somebody recommend Chuuni as romcom, I'll shake my head in defiance so vigorously.

Like this

I thought with the way the first season ended, the disturbing and stupid implications might just be because of writer incompetence, but from what the second season sounds like, there's no way that such an unhealthy relationship could be purely accidental. Someone has some messed up ideas of what love looks like.

Jintor

Digimon Adventures 02 - 48

Owikawa, not knowing of the Barrier, attempts to take the kids to the Digital World to crash the barriers together and explains his plan. This plot actually makes a *lot* of sense, except for the bits where he made up a magic dark spore somehow. But whatever.

He totally cults the kids together and opens a gate... but not the right gate. The 02 crew follow him through, and Owikawa is shocked to discover... he's been tricked the whole time. The fool! Fractal geometry takes over... and then... SHOCK TWIST

GIANT LIPS IN THE SKY

Yup it's miyotismon the whole time. What a prick. Hilariously he tries to turn it on Gatomon, since her tail-ring was the basis for the dark spirals, but she's not having any of it.

And then... Yeah... Malomiyotismon. Who does the traditional thing and eats Arukenimon and Mummymon. I remember this freaking me the shit out as a kid. Miyotismon is a reaaaaaaaaaaaaaal dick.

Everyone but Davis gives in to despair, but Davis is too stupid to despair. Boom. Time for next episode.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Tenchi Muyo! OVA 3

Cutest spaceship ever.

At least Ayeka recognizes that wanting to marry her half-brother is weird.

Digging the OP.
Unfortunately, when Pioneer released the OVA on DVD they remixed the OP keeping the original version on the dub track, and the remix is not as good.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Kill la Kill 24

Just as crazy as I'd expect the ending of this show to be. I might have a slight complaint about
Senketsu's death
though I guess if you wanna insert some growing up message in your show, it sort of fits... but still, I'd have preferred it to not have happened.

That said, Mako managed to make a good episode great, as one would expect of such an awesome character. Not seeing her anymore is gonna be tough. Best character of 2014.
Also, MakoxRyuuko OTP.

PREEEEEEEEEEACH!

Gazoinks

Cat Soup

From what I've heard of this, I actually expected it to be more disturbing than it was. It was surprisingly whimsical. Although still creepy.

It was, however, pretty damn weird. Probably the weirdest anime I've seen. I really liked a lot of the bizarre imagery, especially
the stuff during the time stop and rewind with the ocean and the deaths and such
, and I liked how it kept to a consistent theme about time and death to give it a sense of cohesion under the weird.

So yeah it was good. If you like surrealism, very much worth watching. If you don't you should probably stay far away. :p

Mortemis

Banned
I'm not sure how easy it would be for CR to broadcast Jojo. It's a pretty big copyright mess.

Well that sucks.

Strike the Tsundere Blood - END

Man, I agree with everyone saying Yukina is worst girl, if not worst character. Every time at the end of a boss fight, when they do the "It's my fight! No SEMPAI, it's our fight!" I cringe so hard. Anyways, this show wasn't horrible since I was able to actually finish it, but I can't say it was good. The harem was alright, even though the worst won. It definitely had it's problems though. I never thought it was possible, but yeah this show had too many tsunderes. I mean I'm all for some tsun tsun but there wasn't nearly enough dere dere if you catch my drift. Nice to have Kanon not be a tsundere, just because of that she's high up on the best list. Welp, to wrap it up, show was mediocre. Though I'd probably watch another season. Can't forsake Kanon, Asagi, La Folia, and Kirasaka just cause Yukina blows.

After finishing Onizuka, I now need some dumb fun. So my next anime will definitely be one that includes windmill gundams.

edit: tomorrow I'm gonna go ahead and watch Steins;Gate movie as well.

jman2050

I thought with the way the first season ended, the disturbing and stupid implications might just be because of writer incompetence, but from what the second season sounds like, there's no way that such an unhealthy relationship could be purely accidental. Someone has some messed up ideas of what love looks like.

It's just a complete genre mismatch. It's the functional equivalent of making Buffy the Vampire Slayer a telenovela. These shows really should have been something like, I don't know, Seitokai Yakuindomo with the lewd replaced by chuuni bullshit? Just something that's not what we got!

cajunator

Banned
No. The name always put me off. It's shojo right? Is it as good as Kimi ni Todoke? That's probably my favorite Shojo show.

Love Angel beats. Bought the Blu Ray set. I hate the overly moe crap that key stuffs into their characters. Angel Beats doesn't have that. I tried watching Clannad but was too disgusted with it. I saw the sad parts of After Story and thought it was way too forced with the writing.

Wellllll...yeah it kinda does have moe pandering in it..
http://youtu.be/I-e4gtC6LEA

Witch Craft Works 12

sc9b4cBl.jpg

So hey, this adaptation made this whole arc enjoyable.

Great show, turns a half decent manga into something visually nice to see.

Would have liked to see the whole penguin vs bear vs something vs bear fight in a future chapter but hey maybe we'll get an OVA.

Jintor

Digimon Adventures 02 - 49

BOOM! Lotus Eater Machine, as is traditional. TK's family hang-ups, Yolei's stifling family, Cody's missing dad, Kari's world of peace... all good. But they break it in about 5 minutes flat, so... uh... sucks to be you, Miyotismon. Some great, if somewhat blunt character moments.

Ken's lotus eater is more of a nightmare as his intense guilt conjures an image of himself being beaten to death by a bunch of Digimon. But then Sam turns up to forgive him... but isn't there. "You can't change your past: you can only change your future"

And then it turns out the dimension is magical and grants your wishes, so they all get super ultra power-ups. We have, like, ten solid minutes of digievolutions and end up with an army of every possible digievolution at once. Which looks pretty rad. Lotus Eater didn't work on Davis cos he's pretty happy with his life: hilarious.

Unfortunately, they blast him into the Digital World, and MaloMiyotismon's... body... grew 10 sizes that day. Oops.

cnet128

Banned
As long as we get a doujin where
Mitsuki NTRs Haruka from Yuu.

DO NOT WANT

Seconded

Please tell me that none of the existing doujins have penises in it

I can't speak for doujins since I haven't come across any of the series yet, but I was just browsing ero Sakura Trick images on pixiv and can confirm that quite a few of them contain penises. ARTISTS WHY YOU DO THIS

How do you guys feel about Buddy Complex, so far I'm on episode 4 and I'm enjoying it, it's really good.

I'm enjoying, but I feel bad for those wanting the homoerotic aspect of it to expand, only for the romantic drama to kick in. I really hope the show doesn't end with
a loop.

The season break between the two halves will do me good as some of the aspects of the show are stressing me out

DO NOT WANT

I can't speak for doujins since I haven't come across any of the series yet, but I was just browsing ero Sakura Trick images on pixiv and can confirm that quite a few of them contain penises. ARTISTS WHY YOU DO THIS

*penises in doujins of an anime that is both Yuri focused and has zero dudes in it*

ao3nLFk.jpg

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
The sleepy girl exists as an outsider in the group who isn't inflicted by chuuni syndrome but acts as a sympathetic and understanding party.
The issue is that if you've been leading the audience on for 20+ episodes, and their relationship barely advances besides a snail pace, and then you promise a glimmer of hope only to go "hey gais we still need to milk this for 3 more seasons, let's instead not have them kiss but have them kiss 5 seasons from now." The other issue is that as mentioned their relationship was in name only. They had the chemisty of a broom and a vacuum cleaner.
The end of the season with the interrupted kiss didn't feel like some ploy to create more and more seasons of Chuu2. It existed to de-emphasize the looming urgency of a physical relationship between the two main characters. It is unintentionally ignoble, primarily because it wears its detachment from reality as a badge of pride while characters wallow in confusion and regress into obsessive horror shows that Kyoto Animation tries to sweeten through further disillusionment.

Quasar

The sleepy girl exists as an outsider in the group who isn't inflicted by chuuni syndrome but acts as a sympathetic and understanding party.

She was my favourite character in the show.

I didn't much like it either. The lack of progress was one factor in that. My memory of the first series was that it had momentum which this lacked. Though I didn't dislike it enough to stop watching like I did other shows.

Jintor

Digimon Adventures 02 - 50 -END-

"A million points of light" is such a fucking rad title.

Malomiyotismon starts a summon ritual and kids despair. Back IRL, the original digidestined take everyone to the Summer Camp where they first travelled to the Digital World. At least they've got a plan.

BOOM

List_of_Digimon_Adventure_02_episodes_50.jpg

DIGILIGHTS KICK ASS FOR SOME REASON

hilarious international montage as everyone fires light beams into the sky somehow. Turns out Malomiyotismon's weakness is... uh... mysterious light beams. Everyone gets sucked into the sky and dumps everyone in the digital world. Cool? And then they defeat Malomiyotismon with the power of their hopes and dreams. Uh, good thematic idea, B- for execution.

Untitled.png

Malomiyotismon turns out to be a giant cloud, instead of a giant crotch, which is a marginal improvement. This cloud is dispersed by... a giant laserbeam. Presumably made of good thoughts and happy ideas.

After everyone's happy, Cody nearly drags Owikawa into the digital world. Poor guy. Drowned in his despair and stuff. Owikawa sacrifices himself to restore the digital world to full, turning into butterflies. Which is cool... but weird.

Then we have a kinda dumb epilogue. Turns out TK was the narrator all along! Who knew. Everyone has kids who are clones of their parents. Boom. The End.

A little more rushed than I remember, and a lot more unrefined. I still think the basic ideas are really quite something, but watching it again now, the problems with the execution are a lot more apparent.

Crocodile

First, characterization doesn't need to occur in chronological order. You can have a character who then turns out to be more than he appears, and development then revolves around how he continues to overcome a past or adopt yet another change in his life. Second, in order to have drama you need flawed characters. It's like the fundamental different between Star Trek TNG and Star Trek DS9. Everyone was smiles and happy times much of the time in TNG, and so the show had to feed off more of the episodic scifi stories. In DS9 you had characters that actually produced conflict with each other. As for Yukine, he was a lost teenager who didn't truly understand his own situation and acted the part fairly well. You might not find this cool, heroic, clever, or upstanding, but you should at least be able to empathize with his position. At first he thinks of ways to use his condition to a material advantage as he doesn't like being without money, doesn't like wearing hand-me-downs, and doesn't like being forced around. He also doesn't consider the impact his own actions have on others. Again, like a teenager. Eventually he comes to understand that none of that actually matters anymore and comes to accept what he is now.

That's growth.

I'm not asking for flawless characters, I'm asking for non-shit characters. There's a difference. I understand that teenagers are more emotionally unstable than adults but that's not an excuse for trying to molest your only female friend, stealing multiple times (as if he had any use for money anyway) and in general being a huge dick. The huge toppers were "I HAVE NO FRIENDS" even though Yato and Hiyori had been nothing but courteous and friendly towards him since day one and basically saved him from a conscience-less existence and his proclamations of "whatever" and sociopathic degree of apathy when Yato lied there dying from his direct actions. Did the moron really need Hiyori to TELL him they were friends? That's what it took to "snap" him out of it rather than his own goddamn brain? The character is a selfish moron and his "escapades" lead to many sighs and facepalms on my end. His presence strongly and negatively affected my enjoyment of the show.

Kill la Kill 24 [END]

Well I can't say it wasn't fun and that we got another pretty satisfying conclusion to another anime this season.

Still thought there was a lot of story, "plot", animation and characterization problems throughout the show. But the show was still pretty endearing with some great fight scenes. Last fight was still pretty ridiculous which is why you watch the show if you do watch.

This is nowhere near "anime has been saved" levels of hype this show was getting. It's still a fine anime. Not my favorite of the year or even the season but still enjoyable to watch if you want to watch something with over the top fight scenes and don't care about story for this type of show.

7/10

madp

The Light of El Cantare
What happens when a group of Japanese children have no contact with true parental figures or society at large? Chuunibyou delivers the troubling answer to that question.

Apparently, all of those kids in the book just needed some exposure to shitty LN and JRPG tropes to keep them from forming tribal factions and slaughtering each other.

CorvoSol

Apparently, all of those kids in the book just needed some exposure to shitty LN and JRPG tropes to keep them from forming tribal factions and slaughtering each other.

Plz. Piggy was the embodiment of that awful yuri trope where the girl has a crush on an older, cooler girl but never confesses it and sits their not contributing until the plot ends without her.

And we all know hunter boy was just tsundere for conchboy.

And Simon was Osaka.

Strike the Blood end

What was up with that post-credits scene?
Why did she pretend her dad was dead, but only to the audience? wat

Other than that, this show did not have an ounce of originality nor the execution to make up for it. Why did I watch it?

I'm enjoying, but I feel bad for those wanting the homoerotic aspect of it to expand, only for the romantic drama to kick in. I really hope the show doesn't end with
a loop.

The season break between the two halves will do me good as some of the aspects of the show are stressing me out

People wanting homoerotic are foolish, not a single chance of that being in Buddy Complex.

The end of the season with the interrupted kiss didn't feel like some ploy to create more and more seasons of Chuu2. It existed to de-emphasize the looming urgency of a physical relationship between the two main characters. It is unintentionally ignoble, primarily because it wears its detachment from reality as a badge of pride while characters wallow in confusion and regress into obsessive horror shows that Kyoto Animation tries to sweeten through further disillusionment.

You know, I really don't have a problem with the whole emphasis on "we're taking things slow, and that's okay because all relationships are different", but it really didn't need to take the entire show for us to find that out, especially since it's already something we knew. It's the very definition of an anti-climax with some retread thrown in.

Should have just made the final arc about something other than the underwhelming romance aspect, like another character's daddy issues or whatever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom