• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter-Spring 2014 Anime |OT3| People incapable of guilt usually do have a good time

Status
Not open for further replies.

cajunator

Banned
*penises in doujins of an anime that is both Yuri focused and has zero dudes in it*

ao3nLFk.jpg

Well most of the ero fanart is self insertion fantasies. No doubt a lot of guys wish they could be with the girls in Sakura Trick and talented artists will draw those fantasies.

In the context of that particular scene it was hilarious. They did it for comedic effect.
But I love both Clannad and Angel Beats. So..... yeah.

Yui is the best girl in the show. Love her.

Strike the blood 24
Tad boring retreading the same stuff that finished the other arcs. Wish La Folie got more screentime.
The future world looks pretty interesting. I'm assuming Akatsuki somehow makes this empire along with these wonderful daughters. Though I guess he doesn't fully commit to one in the end seeing how both exist in one timeline.
Overall I feel the series is 5 or 6/10. Some entertaining action and plot twists but overall end in the same way

Branduil

You know, I really don't have a problem with the whole emphasis on "we're taking things slow, and that's okay because all relationships are different", but it really didn't need to take the entire show for us to find that out, especially since it's already something we knew. It's the very definition of an anti-climax with some retread thrown in.

Should have just made the final arc about something other than the underwhelming romance aspect, like another character's daddy issues or whatever.

Use the tried-and-true KEY method and reveal that one of the characters is an undead penguin ghost that lost its family in a zoo mishap but now they've learned to love and be objectified as a humen female harem member.

jman2050

Use the tried-and-true KEY method and reveal that one of the characters is an undead penguin ghost that lost its family in a zoo mishap but now they've learned to love and be objectified as a humen female harem member.

Dead penguin waifu moe is best moe

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I'm not asking for flawless characters, I'm asking for non-shit characters. There's a difference. I understand that teenagers are more emotionally unstable than adults but that's not an excuse for trying to molest your only female friend, stealing multiple times (as if he had any use for money anyway) and in general being a huge dick. The huge toppers were "I HAVE NO FRIENDS" even though Yato and Hiyori had been nothing but courteous and friendly towards him since day one and basically saved him from a conscience-less existence and his proclamations of "whatever" and sociopathic degree of apathy when Yato lied there dying from his direct actions. Did the moron really need Hiyori to TELL him they were friends? That's what it took to "snap" him out of it rather than his own goddamn brain? The character is a selfish moron and his "escapades" lead to many sighs and facepalms on my end. His presence strongly and negatively affected my enjoyment of the show.
To him, Yato was either a nagging boss or a slavemaster, and one Nora led him to believe didn't find him necessary and his interactions with Hiyori were awkward at best. They pretty much put the analogy on the nose on a couple occasions, where Yukine was the teen mistreating his parents.

Also, being new to his condition he wasn't aware of how things worked. You remark that material things wouldn't be of use, but that's entirely the point.

At any rate, what's important here is that he didn't stay a destructive teen but matured. Then you turn around and say no development happened when that's demonstrably false.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Air 2

Getting kinda attached to Yukido. Having a snarky hobo for a main character is a nice change of pace from slacker high school boy protagonists.

I bet the guy who
who gave the cake was Misuzu's dad. There's just too much foreshadowing.

Ah, yes, there's the crazy supernatural shit I expect from a KEY show.

Sakura Trick 12 END

Oh damn, what a
confession

A beautiful little end to an adorable series. Got pretty repetitive and perhaps a little boring at times, but still a very well done and very sweet show all around. I'd probably watch a season 2.

Space Battleship Yamato 2199 1-7 (2012/2013)

Very LTTP, I know, but I just started watching this, inspired by the positive feedback from the New Macross series announced thread.

Holy fuck, where has this show been in my life?!?!?!?

It feels like an older classic reimagined with visuals from the current era, but without all fanservice and moe crap that has dragged anime down to a certain sub section of society in the past decade or so.

Even the OP/EDs in this show are remarkably tasteful and harkens from a better age.

They're definitely targetting the mature, late 20s to 30s viewer with this show.

It's fucking good, and I want to see more anime like this that does not pander to the specific subsection of society that are currently the focus of many productions these days.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Space Battleship Yamato 2199 1-7 (2012/2013)

Very LTTP, I know, but I just started watching this, inspired by the positive feedback from the New Macross series announced thread.

Holy fuck, where has this show been in my life?!?!?!?

It feels like an older classic reimagined with visuals from the current era, but without all fanservice and moe crap that has dragged anime down to a certain sub section of society in the past decade or so.

Even the OP/EDs in this show are remarkably tasteful and harkens from a better age.

They're definitely targetting the mature, late 20s to 30s viewer with this show.

It's fucking good, and I want to see more anime like this that does not pander to the specific subsection of society that are currently the focus of many productions these days.
Two things:

- Watch more old anime instead of repeating lies born out of nostalgia. Fanservice is hardly new.

- Tight fitting suit ass shots in Yamato count as fanservice.

Crocodile

To him, Yato was either a nagging boss or a slavemaster, and one Nora led him to believe didn't find him necessary and his interactions with Hiyori were awkward at best. They pretty much put the analogy on the nose on a couple occasions, where Yukine was the teen mistreating his parents.

Also, being new to his condition he wasn't aware of how things worked. You remark that material things wouldn't be of use, but that's entirely the point.

At any rate, what's important here is that he didn't stay a destructive teen but matured. Then you turn around and say no development happened when that's demonstrably false.

I didn't say no development (just not a ton I felt) and I was speaking mostly about Hiyori & Yato not Yukine. Plus Yukine went from shit tier to less shit/merely ok tier as opposed to like good tier and his "development" wasn't even particularly cathartic because it only happened because Hiyori said a singular thing to him that should have been obvious from day one (or at least day 7 or something - he shouldn't need her to say that to him). I was not satisfied at all.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I didn't say no development (just not a ton I felt) and I was speaking mostly about Hiyori & Yato not Yukine. Plus Yukine went from shit tier to less shit/merely ok tier as opposed to like good tier and his "development" wasn't even particularly cathartic because it only happened because Hiyori said a singular thing to him that should have been obvious from day one (or at least day 7 or something - he shouldn't need her to say that to him). I was not satisfied at all.
Yuto also goes from somebody who fires his servant after three months to putting his life on the line to secure one's redemption.

Gazoinks

Yamato doesn't exactly lack for fan service. Even compared to "modern anime," it has plenty of male gaze.

Yeah, this was actually my biggest complaint about the show. It felt really out of place with the tone the show was going for.

Although it's still an improvement from the original from what I hear so there's that. Baby steps. :p

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Yeah, this was actually my biggest complaint about the show. It felt really out of place with the tone the show was going for.

Although it's still an improvement from the original from what I hear so there's that. Baby steps. :p
It's the Seven of Ninefication of scifi.

Damn 90's.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
I know it's my fault for not paying attention to who makes the shows I watch, but I dunno if I've actually ever seen anything by KEY.

Well, KEY makes the VNs that the shows are based on but

Clannad
Air
Kanon
Angel Beats
Little Busters
One: To the Radient Season (kinda)

are all KEY properties/stories

Branduil

Clannad 6

In this episode a group of pedophiles forms a Fuuko fanclub, while Tomoya and Nagisa plot an elaborate scheme to make her older sister meet her instead of just telling her what's going on. Nagisa is revealed as an insane person who thinks being a waitress is fun. LOL, that ending. This arc is lasting forever.

This show needs more trolling of moeblobs and less nonsensical magic ghost stories.

Crocodile

Yuto also goes from somebody who fires his servant after three months to putting his life on the line to secure one's redemption.

Tomone knew what she wanted and what she wanted was OUT with the fury of a thousand suns. He wasn't going to say no to that. Yukine kind of just bumbled around like an idiot. Yato sticking up for Yukine didn't really make much sense (it was never clear what was so special about him other than he makes strong Boundaries and ideally talking to him would have been better route than nearly getting yourself killed if Yukine had a rational bone in his body) but it never seemed super out of character.

Regardless, just to be clear, I don't have a problem with Yato or Hiyori. I liked them and their relationship and I thought by the end of the show it improved and ended pretty strong. It was just nothing I'd consider beyond solid and was super by-the-numbers and of course Yukine was around being a shit-lord for most of the show making it a pain to watch sometimes.

Gazoinks

Random question: What is with the trope (I guess) where fist fighters always wipe their nose with their thumb right before they fight? I don't think I've seen it outside of anime. Is this a thing martial artists actually do?

Infamous: Second Sonpai Please Notice Me
WUQEipo.jpg

Uguuuuuuuuuuuuuu~

This game was the first legitimate excuse for people to own a PS4. And boy was it a good reason. Infamous games have always been solid, but this is the best one yet.

The story follows Delsin Rowe, a kohai to his senpai conduits. You see Delsin has always wanted to be noticed, so his act of rebellion and beanie wearing douchebaggery were only cries for attention. Then one day he gains the ability to absorb powers, and it's a journey between him and Onii-sama to save his tribe.

This game has two things I've been asking for in games for a while that many don't seem to deliver: a proper minority lead, and a kick-ass female antagonist. And not only that they're not in your face about it. Delsin is a native american. That's not his defining characteristic as other games with native americans will like you make you believe. That's his background, his culture. His all mission is to save his people but his ethnicity doesn't define him. He's an individual. An individual kohai who wants to be noticed.

The female antagonist also was really well done. She didn't have giant tits or was good looking. A game that acknowledges that not all women need to be hot to be featured? GEDDOUTTATOWN. I genuinely came to despise her near the end after the shit she pulled :''''( SPOILERS DO NOT READ IF YOU PLAN TO PLAY THE GAME
I miss you onii-sama. You will be the light to my life forever

Throughout the game your hardships and choices will make your conduit and citizen senpais notice you. Until they're actively either cheering or terrified of you. Which means the game can also lead into a yandere route where you can kill all of your senpais around the world.

The game was fun, the mechanics were great, and there were almost no moe girls. It gets a 9/10. I hope there's a sequel.

What does this have to do with anime?
o14sUxE.gif

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Random question: What is with the trope (I guess) where fist fighters always wipe their nose with their thumb right before they fight? I don't think I've seen it outside of anime. Is this a thing martial artists actually do?

You...you've never seen a Bruce Lee movie? He's the one who started it, man.

Link Man

Banned
Yami 10

So they have a flashback, and they decide to reuse that horrible funhouse mirror shot.

Suddenly Lilith.

Oh god, that drawing of Eve. I want a copy to stick on my refrigerator.

Yay, bondage! And tickling!

It seems nobody but Lilith can remove the hat. So it's like the Silver/Ruby slippers in Wizard of Oz. Only more gaudy.

Ok, Eve can touch the hat as well. I'm sure that will never come into play.

A vast Japanese manor. IN SPACE!

ig0cm3XWCh9Bd.gif

Is this the same fox girl as before, grown up? Why are her ears so terribly large? Why does she equate sake with blood?

And the door opens up into a canyon. Cue goblins impersonating Wile E. Coyote. Then falling through the ceiling.

Hey, we just used that joke with the goblins, let's do it again RIGHT AWAY.

And now foxy lady wants Gargantua's erection. Stay classy, Yami.

Princess Mariel returns. If you'll remember, last time we saw her, she killed herself. Oh, and she's wearing a maid costume of course.

So our next story takes place in a futuristic sci-fi setting, and the first thing we see are a bunch of moe girls in the shower. I'd like to say I'm surprised, but not really.

Spacing out. GET IT?

Hazuki activates the airlock, and Ken balloons to twenty times his normal size, filling the room. Because he's easily affected by changes in air pressure. You know, it's odd in anime to have characters be put in peril due to cartoon logic.

Who designed this spaceship? It's like someone saw an X-Wing, and thought "Gee, that's a nice design, perhaps not practical in space, but it looks cool! But you know what it's missing? A giant Y at the nose! Yeah, that really ties it together!"

Two guests, one bed. Lilith knows where this is going.

More pancakes, for no reason at all. Didn't you jut eat, Lilith?

Wait, the computer can make artificial fish, octopus and pancakes, but the children are rewarded with "nutritional supplements"?

Yes, because flowers can randomly bloom in mud, on a spaceship, without sunlight.

Hello, space mom...HOLY SHIT!

This computer. Holy shit.

I'm going to go drink some bleach now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom