• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter-Spring 2014 Anime |OT3| People incapable of guilt usually do have a good time

Status
Not open for further replies.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Yes she definitely is.
By the way how many times have you watched the Gravity bluray?
Just the one time, with the features. It really isn't the same without the giant screen and in 3D... It's why I hope this VR thing takes off and I can just live in a virtual theater with Gravity playing 24/7 for the rest of my life.

At least the character motivations stay consistent and it doesn't trivialize everything that has happened up until the end, which is more than you can say for the endings to E7: AO and Mine Fujiko.

Next you'll praise it for being better animated than Wizard Barristers episode 11.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Having seen the finale, I'm also kind of baffled that people would hate it that much. It has plenty of flaws, but they're pretty much the same flaws you could apply just about anywhere in the series, from the seemingly arbitrary power swings, to the simplistic fights, to the show's stubborn refusal to kill off characters.

At least the character motivations stay consistent and it doesn't trivialize everything that has happened up until the end, which is more than you can say for the endings to E7: AO and Mine Fujiko.
Oh god, if you want to talk about trainwrecks, then E7:AO manages to not only ruin itself, but also the original E7. lol

Jex

Watching the show in a vacuum, I guess I have no idea why this finale in particular is necessarily bad. Again, it's interesting to me how violently split the fandom seems to be on this show. lol

Kill la Kill really doesn't deserve to be torn apart or praised to the heavens, it's not even really worth discussing. It's an occasionally entertaining diversion.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Is Fairy Tail good? My wife's friend is obsessed with it to the point of joining a fan group and conversing with the mangaka on twitter and other avenues. My wife wants to check it out but I was always under the assumption it was basically a poor man's One Piece and my wife isn't really a shonen fan.

Funimation have the first episode up on Youtube to check out but I worry it's one of those shows that takes many episodes to get good.

Is Fairy Tail good? My wife's friend is obsessed with it to the point of joining a fan group and conversing with the mangaka on twitter and other avenues. My wife wants to check it out but I was always under the assumption it was basically a poor man's One Piece and my wife isn't really a shonen fan.

Funimation have the first episode up on Youtube to check out but I worry it's one of those shows that takes many episodes to get good.
Fairy Tail is corporate shonen at its finest. I really enjoy it though.

cajunator

Banned
Just the one time, with the features. It really isn't the same without the giant screen and in 3D... It's why I hope this VR thing takes off and I can just live in a virtual theater with Gravity playing 24/7 for the rest of my life.

I figured as such. It really does succeed on the strength of its visuals on the big screen.
As an actual movie though I felt like it really had a lot of problems. Storywise it was pretty stupid, and lots of things seemed to happen so incredibly conveniently. I just wasnt feeling it.

fertygo

Its sounds really weird to hear an women obsessed to Fairy Tail lol, considering how the series treating its female character.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Samurai Flamenco - 09

qqPMEdy.png
fBlwwf3.png

Moe about to beat some ass! Stay away from Mari Goto you punk!

BluWacky

Its sounds really weird to hear an women obsessed to Fairy Tail lol, considering how the series treating its female character.

I think the usual Law Of Women Watching Shounen applies - ignore the female characters because they're rubbish and focus on the sexy men and how they might want to shag each other.

(note also the SDBurton Corollary, its mirror counterpart)

cajunator

Banned
I think the usual Law Of Women Watching Shounen applies - ignore the female characters because they're rubbish and focus on the sexy men and how they might want to shag each other.

(note also the SDBurton Corollary, its mirror counterpart)

This is also the DTL method.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Pupipo! 15 END

p(´⌒`。q)

What a bittersweet ending, holy shit.

This was great little short-episode series. Amazing animation, fantastic characters, a big heaping of comedy, a beautiful story, and all wrapped up into 15 bite sized pieces that couldn't be more enjoyable week in and week out.

Seriously, if you weren't watching Pupipo! this season, you made the wrong choice. Such a fantastic show.

Theonik

*penises in doujins of an anime that is both Yuri focused and has zero dudes in it*

http://i.imgur.com/ao3nLFk.jpg
Well like I've said before, fanartists usually provide things that the original content doesn't so if anything this is only the natural order of things.

If you think about it, Chuunibyou is basically the Japanese Lord of the Flies.
Isn't that Infinite Ryvius?

Bless you, Yamato.
Best change they made from the original by far.

"Buttocks unclenched.
Now fill me in."

I just realized how low Utena was. What was wrong with AnimeGaf in 2007?
It didn't really exist back then.

I'm enjoying, but I feel bad for those wanting the homoerotic aspect of it to expand, only for the romantic drama to kick in. I really hope the show doesn't end with
a loop.

The season break between the two halves will do me good as some of the aspects of the show are stressing me out

Buddy Complex is more than 13 episodes? If true best news this morning. We need coupling to go to the next level.

Romance is kicking in, do you not watch the scenes with Dio and Aoba, and Dio defending Aoba at all costs and helping him out?

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Samurai Flamenco - 10&11

h5U5uC8.png

Best flamenco ranger

Mari better give Moe some loving after
letting her finger get crushed by King Torture.

Next episode went full tilt.
Secret base, megazords, the fuuuuuuuuck?!

Nourin 12
A somewhat interesting finale. I liked the Sailor Moon parody. He was really dumb at the end. I liked how Kei and Yoshida came back.

Theonik

Megazone 23
iJIBnrZ0g5xwg.png

What are Jexhius and EmanuelMunuoz doing in my Megazone?
So this was pretty enjoyable albeit very :80s and kind of insane. It's always nice to watch anime from the era before K-ON invented sexualisation. It's refreshing really!
This anime also taught us the inspiration behind KLK!
Basically if you like senseless 80s OVAs there is more senseless stuff out there but this is pretty :80s in its own right and still has lots of 'We just wanted to blow our sakuga load' scenes. All in good dumb fun.

Really? Huh. Well, I guess we'll give it a crack and see. Collection 1 on blu-ray is going for pretty cheap on Amazon so I might grab it if it's decent.

Ooh ooh! I love Fairy Tail! I certainly hope you enjoy it!

Samurai Flamenco - 09

Moe about to beat some ass! Stay away from Mari Goto you punk!

You are going to love a certain episode of this show.

looks like madoka tv is up on netflix

Netflix redeeming themselves after putting SAO on it.

Samurai Flamenco [END]

Originally, I went into this series hoping for a fun homage to tokusatsu. I ended up coming out with much more than I ever expected. It wasn't the most visually appealing show at times, but it had a lot of charm. And honestly, I'm good with that. I haven't been this satisfied with the ending of an anime in a long time. There's nothing more that I want from this show. Even with all the crazy twists throughout, it ends up coming full circle and wrapping up pretty naturally.
And I like the fact that Goto still relies a bit on his cell phone girlfriend even though she's "on a journey" now. A mental issue like that is not going to clear itself overnight and it feels like a realistic take on recovering from a very unusual circumstance.
I feel like this show had a little bit for everyone and felt like it had wide appeal for being, at heart, a show about characters (though I doubt sales reflected this at all). I'd definitely recommend the show to others and maybe now that it's over, some people might go back and see what they missed.

On a final note,
I'll admit I'm glad that Mari didn't end up with Goto. That whole part of the plot seemed forced as Goto is definitely not ready for a relationship yet (even though he got a marriage proposal ???). The ending at least is open-ended enough that people can assume what they want as far as relationships go, even with Ishihara.

Noragami [END]

I guess I should go read the manga now.

Midonin

Pretty Rhythm Rainbow Live 51 + Final Thoughts

nT8qIcMl.jpg

I started watching this back in April of last year because it had some of my favorite voice actresses in it, and I liked the music-themed outfits the girls had on. Now that it's over, it's one of the series I've most enjoyed watching. It took a while before things really clicked - episode 9, where "Gift" was first performed - but once it did, it was a consistently fun ride. I'd only seen a few episodes of Aurora Dream and none of Dear My Future, but this is largely standalone.

The story arcs were well executed. They rarely overlapped, but each one's own cast of characters never overplayed the drama too much. (Ito and Bell could get a little over the top, but even that didn't happen very often.) The finale delivered just what I'd expect from a series like this - wrapping up all the characters, including the unit Beef or Chicken or Fish, which is one of the odder names I've seen for an idol group.

I like the musical performances here more than in Aikatsu, for two reasons. The jumps last longer and are more bombastic - like Wakana taming a tiger or Ito rearranging the planets - and the songs are actually sung by the voice actresses. "Rosette Nebula" and "gift" were my favorites, but everything was pretty good. And Otoha's sax is beautiful.

It's not the best kids' show I've ever seen, but I'd put it near the top easily. A very solidly written, emotional, fun show to watch. Rinne is adorable, there's enough to ping the yuri goggles, and the music is great. I'm convinced enough to stick around for All Star Selection.

JPo6Miql.jpg

Okay.

Link Man

Banned
Toradora 13

Taiga's dad can't even send a text to Taiga, he sends it to Ryuji? Dick.

Well, this was an interesting episode. Taiga's stronger than she looks (unless this is an act), and Ryuji really does care about her.

And suddenly :SDBurton.

fertygo

Noragami - 12
That's rather underwhelming with the action being not as satisfying as two previous eps, and you easily can see this as anime original "filler" despite the important event that occured, kinda remind me in One Piece : Strong World movie in the sense character drama feel detached from the series.

Btw I also don't like the relationship between Yato and Hiyori growing into more romantic one, its like if in Gintama, Kagura falling to Gintoki.. its just feel absurd to me yo, granted maybe from the start they already hinting that seed.. but man, after its became 3-man dynamic with Yukine, I just feel they don't need the love interest bit again for those two.

Sakura Trick 12
A good finale for this show.
A sad farewell party for the 3rd years. i liked when the two sisters were pulling at Haruka's arms. Mitsuki finally confesses her love for Haruka. And a pretty good kiss scene to finish it off.
Overall, it was a fanservicey but enjoyable yuri series. i think I would give it a 6 or 7/10

It's standard shounen to a fault. You won't find much original stuff about it, but it's at least consistent for a while. Really, it's biggest issue are the constant asspulls, but that may not make a difference if you like the characters.

It's standard shounen to a fault. You won't find much original stuff about it, but it's at least consistent for a while. Really, it's biggest issue are the constant asspulls, but that may not make a difference if you like the characters.

Fairy Tail is the one anime I unconditionally love, and the highlighted is pretty much the reason why. I just love seeing all those characters in that show.

Yeah, it's very standard and it plays it safe most of the time, but it's also very fun. Especially with its god tier OST which also plays a huge role in my love for this show.

Midonin

Nisekoi 12

The thing I remember most from this episode is the key breaking off inside the lock. Being trapped inside that diary must've softened the metal, or maybe it was just the plot gods. This love triangle is still fun to watch (sort of, with Tsugumi involved), but I'm curious when the Kana Asumi character is going to show up and add another layer to things. As it goes into its sort-of second cour, it's about time for another shakeup.

CorvoSol

Well, KEY makes the VNs that the shows are based on but

Clannad
Air
Kanon
Angel Beats
Little Busters
One: To the Radient Season (kinda)

are all KEY properties/stories

Oh. I've not watched any of these things.

Ahaha his eyes following her ass

Definitely the best part of the .gif.

Mmm, the direction, the soundtrack, the animation, the action, the cast, the 4K HD scan, the 3 year wait for the final episode. Basically everything. So good.

To think he was an apprentice of Tomino and personally acknowledged him as his great teacher. :p

WHAT. You're blowing my mind here. How did someone so talented come out from under a hack like Tomino?

Episode 1 is the worst episode.

This is like getting a super cool toy on Christmas and your parents telling you every single present you have yet to unwrap is better.

I can only ask what took you so long.

Jexhius is right; it only gets better from the start.

The List is what took me so long. Now that I'm done with it for awhile I can get caught up on classic Mecha series.

Also decided to delve into the world of Gundam for the first time since I like Eva so much. I'm watching Gundam 00. Did I make a good choice? What gundam series are the best gundam-gaf and no I don't want to watch build fighters -___-

I'm not at all a fan of 00. Build Fighters is an excellent choice, and G is a personal favorite. I don't really know your tastes, though, so I can only suggest to you the very basics: Good jumping on points are usually considered Mobile Suit Gundam, Gundam Wing and Gundam SEED. Shows to avoid are usually Destiny and AGE at the least.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Nisekoi 12

The thing I remember most from this episode is the key breaking off inside the lock. Being trapped inside that diary must've softened the metal, or maybe it was just the plot gods. This love triangle is still fun to watch (sort of, with Tsugumi involved), but I'm curious when the Kana Asumi character is going to show up and add another layer to things. As it goes into its sort-of second cour, it's about time for another shakeup.

They should kill off Onodera.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom