• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter-Spring 2014 Anime |OT3| People incapable of guilt usually do have a good time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Narag

Giant Robo 2

Goddamn, Mecha genre, what happened to you? I mean holy shit, the animation in this was fantastic. The direction and writing were glorious, but I mean seriously, there was just so much wonderful mechanical animation in this and I look at you now, Mecha, with your janky ass N64-to-early-PS2 era CG and I just don't know how you let yourself go. You still turn out some glorious Gundam programs, but outside that? My God what happened here?

You were so damn good.

Well, there's a reason they run out of money later in production.

Narag

Lupin III: The Fuma Conspiracy

LIhC6N2l.png
Fzupd8ql.png
vJzfrhdl.png

PZdHfPRl.png
bpP87C8l.png
owZbniwl.png

tZQNdE0l.png
OXyz0r9l.png
xMOn10kl.png

Forgive the image overload but I like to share the good stuff when I come across it.

I've long been aware of this as it's particularly notorious for having removed the usual Lupin composer and VAs for Lupin & Jigen due to budgetary constraints. What I never realized is that budget went towards some god tier animation and something that's pretty good in it's own right. Character design and art in it is some of the most pleasing I've seen from this franchise as well.

If I wanted to be reductive, this is probably best described as a poor man's Cagliostro with the whole treasure plot, the Clarisse/Lupin interaction transferred to Goemon/Murasaki, and Lupin retaining the whole gentleman thief characterization with more his pride on the line and less worried about the womanizing. That'd do it a disservice though as it's good even if it lives in Cagliostro's shadow and doesn't have the same emotional gravitas of said Miyazaki film.

Recommend for:
  • Lupin fans that have probably already watched it
  • general anime audience that also enjoyed Cagliostro
  • animations nerds

Oops! For some reason I thought After Story was a movie after Clannad. Seems like I have this series all mixed around.

EDIT: But I have it all figured out. I think I'll watch Toradora first. Seems a little more lighter.

If you want something lighter than Clannad but heavier than Toradora, you could try watching Kanon 2006.

Mononoke

Banned
Well you seem to be into RomCom/ SoL/ Drama type shows so Clannad and After Story is right up your ally. I didn't find the ending frustrating personally. What I will say is Clannad is one of the few shows that wraps up pretty much every loose end by it's ending.

Just remember to watch the Kyoto Animation series and not the subpar movie.

I hope you enjoy! :D

Yeah, I'm new to Anime so I'm still trying to get my footing on what I like (genre wise). Golden Time was the first Rom Com/Drama that I had seen. And I enjoyed it! Although I'll be honest, I think I prefer more light hearted stuff. It's kind of a contradiction I know. Like, so far my favorite anime is really serious drama stuff. But when it comes to the Rom Com, when it gets really dark/dramatic, sometimes it can be too much. Bokura Ga Ita was something I saw after Golden Time, and I thought it was absolutely brutal. :(

That said, I'm always down to check out anything high quality (even if it is depressing). I'll check out what you guys have recommended. Honestly, you guys have been so amazing at recommending me stuff, and kind of guiding me around to this medium. I'm slowly building up my taste/preference.

Link Man is probably King of the Awesome Fan Art thread. All of this Yami stuff is likely chump change to him.

Like, if you think I can do bad stuff, Link Man is my senpai.

Haha. Well... I didn't react as much to School Days as some other people here seems to have, so I dunno...

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Haha. Well... I didn't react as much to School Days as some other people here seems to have, so I dunno...
I'll continue to insist that School Days works best presented as a tragedy and when you already know things will end badly, rather than going for surprise shock value.

Space Dandy 13:
Great end to the season. Only in this show can you go from a robot discovering love in a coffee shop to such a crazy action scene in such a short amount of time. I definitely felt sad by the end of the episode.

I think the show really came into its own after a shaky beginning, and I'm looking forward to seeing what they do with Season 2.

I've considered compiling a list of really great stand alone episodes that can be viewed with the most basic knowledge of the series. Something that can be viewed and enjoyed by itself, but also act as a gateway drug to seeing the rest of the series. Because you're right, it is an excellent series that gets brushed to the side by it's monolithic episode count.

This seems like a pretty good idea. There have been a lot of great standalone episodes or two parters that would be pretty good for this, I think.

Moonlight Sonata Murder and the Symphony Serial Murders jump out to me as some really good ones.

JoeFu

Banned
Man Kuroko's Basket is soooooo stupid, but I can't stop watching it. Was 50 the last episode? When Kagami Blake Griffin'd Murasakibara I couldn't stop laughing. Had to pause the video....

Gazoinks

Jojo 23
mgVXI5Rl.jpg

I'm saving this pic for when Part 6 gets animated

Wreen wreen wreen wreen. Wreen wreen. Wreen.
Cars is a dick.

Probably the most disappointing part of Battle Tendency is that Lisa Lisa doesn't get a real fight. She's cool, but she gets kind of shafted.

I knew the ending of School Days before hand, so I had a somewhat different reaction.

I'll continue to insist that School Days works best presented as a tragedy and when you already know things will end badly, rather than going for surprise shock value.

As I said when I watched it, I knew that
Makoto would be killed somehow
, but I didn't know the specifics or any of the other things in the ending.

Just had too much drama for me, so some of it became unintentionally hilarious for some reason.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
As I said when I watched it, I knew that
Makoto would be killed somehow
, but I didn't know the specifics or any of the other things in the ending.

Just had too much drama for me, so some of it became unintentionally hilarious for some reason.
Oh man, if that broke your suspension of disbelief, then you'll love Black Rock Shooter TV.

Yeah, I'm new to Anime so I'm still trying to get my footing on what I like (genre wise). Golden Time was the first Rom Com/Drama that I had seen. And I enjoyed it! Although I'll be honest, I think I prefer more light hearted stuff. It's kind of a contradiction I know. Like, so far my favorite anime is really serious drama stuff. But when it comes to the Rom Com, when it gets really dark/dramatic, sometimes it can be too much. Bokura Ga Ita was something I saw after Golden Time, and I thought it was absolutely brutal. :(

That said, I'm always down to check out anything high quality (even if it is depressing). I'll check out what you guys have recommended. Honestly, you guys have been so amazing at recommending me stuff, and kind of guiding me around to this medium. I'm slowly building up my taste/preference.

Always happy to help new people into anime. Anime is great and can really move you if you watch the right ones.

I hope you do like the shows we recommend. I don't think any one person here would want to recommend someone a bad anime. People genuinely want you to watch good stuff which makes some of us clash sometimes cause one person can only watch so much at once. That being said your being recommended a lot of good shows and with how you've expressed your tastes I think your choosing some wonderful shows.

Hope you enjoy.

sonicmj1

Business ruins everything I love in the end.

Instead of letting a lack of money blunt his ambition, Imagawa instead chose to spend five and a half years on a seven-episode OVA. And the result is awesome.

Unfortunately that (and I think there was some drama with Getter Robo Armageddon around the same time too?) made it almost impossible for him to get to direct another anime series, and while he still gets steady work writing scripts, since then he's only directed a bunch of Tetsujin 28-go stuff in the mid 2000s and... a 10-minute two-character comedy series called "Wasimo" that ran last season?

Maybe the Second Coming of Imagawa will soon be upon us.

CorvoSol

Instead of letting a lack of money blunt his ambition, Imagawa instead chose to spend five and a half years on a seven-episode OVA. And the result is awesome.

Unfortunately that made it almost impossible for him to get to direct another anime series, and while he still gets steady work writing scripts, since then he's only directed a bunch of Tetsujin 28-go stuff in the mid 2000s and... a 10-minute two-character comedy series called "Wasimo" that ran last season?

It's time for a G Gundam sequel or Shin Great Mazinger.

Haibane Renmei 1

So now I get why Angel Beats is always compared to this. Both first episodes almost hit the same beats at the same points in their respective first episodes. Both MC's ask almost the same questions. Both have amnesia.

This isn't a bad thing. I love Angel Beats. This first episode was very strong. It was a bit slow but that's to be expected of any first episode really. I liked the music. All the characters are pretty likable and it's already revealed some of the rules of the world. I really like it. The art is actually quite beautiful. This was a very strong start. I like pretty much everything I have seen and heard so far.

Narag

gk9Lyi3.gif

note: use of a Gintama gif is in no way implying that Gintama is a bad anime, because it isn't

Perfect.

Unfortunately that (and I think there was some drama with Getter Robo Armageddon around the same time too?) made it almost impossible for him to get to direct another anime series, and while he still gets steady work writing scripts, since then he's only directed a bunch of Tetsujin 28-go stuff in the mid 2000s and... a 10-minute two-character comedy series called "Wasimo" that ran last season?

Shin Mazinger!!

Link Man

Banned
Yami 13

Yay, more pancakes! In a flashback! While falling through space.

Time for a steamy bath. And boring, repetitive inner monologue.

And now Eve is serving Lilith pancakes.

Hazuki lounging about her house in her underwear. And there's Eve, standing outside in the rain with a boy. why

Wow, they really do love reusing animation in this series.

Wait, are we really
rewatching the first episode here
?

Oh, this is new. :SDBurton territory!

Saliva after the kiss. Stay classy, Yami.

WAT

So Eve erases all of Hazuki's memories of her, and all traces of her existence.
Except the pancakes.

And more reused scenes.

So wait, everything that happened in this series
was in a book being read by Aya. Who the heck is Aya? What about Yami? What about the hat? What was Seiren's purpose in all of this? Why was Lilith so useless overall?
Why is everything left unexplained?

Suddenly live action.

So, Eve erased all of Hazuki's memories of her, BUT LEFT A VIDEO TELLING HAZUKI TO REMEMBER HER FACE? WHAT THE HELL?

cajunator

Banned
Yami 12

Now Eve has the hat. And for some reason, all of Lilth's clothes. why

And now she's...changing Gargantua's past?

Oh, I see. She's shipping Gargantua and Ritsuko. Eve writes fanfiction.

You know, this might actually be a touching scene if I cared about the characters. Or the plot. Or the storytelling. Or the art. Or the soundtrack.

Hatsumi reveals the real "her" to Hazuki. Of course, she's naked.

Hazuki loves Hatsumi so much, she'd rather kill her than live without her. So pure.

Eve tells Hazuki that they will see each other again. And that she'll be Hazuki's child. wat.

Gotta be weird for your child to be the reincarnation of the sister you loved and masturbated to. And who then abandoned you not once, but twice, the second time stranding you in a Japanese manor floating in space, in a book.

It's the joke that never stops. Someone needs to loop Quile introducing herself, followed by the goblins falling through the door.

Suddenly Aya. And Foxy Lady wants his butt. And she's acting like a rapist. Stay classy, Yami.

And that's how we're ending the penultimate episode.

Yami exudes class. Class action lawsuits.

Link Man is a true champion, going through Yami without breaking down.

i took that show on like a boss. Then I had the sheer unmitigated gall to give it a 10/10 on par with the best.
because Yami is the fuckin best.

So who here is going to brave enough Francesca? I just want to see the gifs.

I dunno what this is but I squeed a little bit.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Always happy to help new people into anime. Anime is great and can really move you if you watch the right ones.

I hope you do like the shows we recommend. I don't think any one person here would want to recommend someone a bad anime. People genuinely want you to watch good stuff which makes some of us clash sometimes cause one person can only watch so much at once. That being said your being recommended a lot of good shows and with how you've expressed your tastes I think your choosing some wonderful shows.

Hope you enjoy.
Qmrwhga.jpg

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Most of the time it's not really a matter of intention, but the simple fact that some people are FAR less discriminating than others so to them everything is amazing and worth recommending while others aren't as happy with it.

This doesn't necessarily mean generally either, as there are genre fanboys who just eat everything of a certain kind up without a second thought.

CorvoSol

Yami 13

Yay, more pancakes! In a flashback! While falling through space.

Time for a steamy bath. And boring, repetitive inner monologue.

And now Eve is serving Lilith pancakes.

Hazuki lounging about her house in her underwear. And there's Eve, standing outside in the rain with a boy. why

Wow, they really do love reusing animation in this series.

Wait, are we really
rewatching the first episode here
?

Oh, this is new. :SDBurton territory!

Saliva after the kiss. Stay classy, Yami.

WAT

So Eve erases all of Hazuki's memories of her, and all traces of her existence.
Except the pancakes.

And more reused scenes.

So wait, everything that happened in this series
was in a book being read by Aya. Who the heck is Aya? What about Yami? What about the hat? What was Seiren's purpose in all of this? Why was Lilith so useless overall?
Why is everything left unexplained?

Suddenly live action.

So, Eve erased all of Hazuki's memories of her, BUT LEFT A VIDEO TELLING HAZUKI TO REMEMBER HER FACE? WHAT THE HELL?

YESSS

Madoka Magica: The Rebellion Story

This wasn't necessary, I mean, what was the point of this? Other than money and pandering, of course.

Well, they wanted to continue the story somehow. And what better way to continue it by pissing all of us off by ruining what we loved and make us get ready for an eventual sequel? UGGGGGGGH.

I hate that movie. Unless whatever sequel that gets made fixes this mess, I will continue to hate that movie.

Most of the time it's not really a matter of intention, but the simple fact that some people are FAR less discriminating than others so to them everything is amazing and worth recommending while others aren't as happy with it.

This doesn't necessarily mean generally either, as there are genre fanboys who just eat everything of a certain kind up without a second thought.

Well I hope I don't come across like that.

I am not hypercritical but I don't recommend every anime that I see. I really only have a handful of shows that I like to recommend. (Clearly)

That edit might speak more to me when it comes to RomComs but you won't see me recommending RomCom SNAFU or My Little Monster. I will only comment on if I like them or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom