• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter-Spring 2014 Anime |OT3| People incapable of guilt usually do have a good time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Link Man

Banned
And with Yami finished, it's on to the eternal backlog once more. And my next show is:

iq5bfQpRAqm0E.gif

Demon King Daimao

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Well I hope I don't come across like that.

I am not hypercritical but I don't recommend every anime that I see. I really only have a handful of shows that I like to recommend. (Clearly)

That edit might speak more to me when it comes to RomComs but you won't see me recommending RomCom SNAFU or My Little Monster. I will only comment on if I like them or not.
It's more like what they tell you in school. When writing about literature or film it's not really about your conclusions but your ability to support them. It's not like everything has to be high art and generate in-depth discussion either, as we all have our comfort foods and our junk foods, but when you're able to make specific critiques of different works you should know if you're eating a nice steak or just munching on potato chips with hands covered in grease.

So basically when you made the claim that KLK is just like Rosario, I get the impression you didn't really think it through.

Broank

Giant Robo 2

Goddamn, Mecha genre, what happened to you? I mean holy shit, the animation in this was fantastic. The direction and writing were glorious, but I mean seriously, there was just so much wonderful mechanical animation in this and I look at you now, Mecha, with your janky ass N64-to-early-PS2 era CG and I just don't know how you let yourself go. You still turn out some glorious Gundam programs, but outside that? My God what happened here?

You were so damn good.

And now I have the urge to start Giant Robo again. One of my favorite episodes of probably my favorite anime.

It's more like what they tell you in school. When writing about literature or film it's not really about your conclusions but your ability to support them. It's not like everything has to be high art and generate in-depth discussion either, as we all have our comfort foods and our junk foods, but when you're able to make specific critiques of different works you should know if you're eating a nice steak or just munching on potato chips with hands covered in grease.

So basically when you made the claim that KLK is just like Rosario, I get the impression you didn't really think it through.

Honestly with KLK and Rosario, both are "junk food" anime. Both pander. Both are ridiculous in fight scenes. Both have some pretty 2 dimensional characters. Both have a plot not really worth talking about. You watch them because it's mindless entertainment.

To be honest I probably didn't give it a lot of thought but that's because they are anime where their plots and characters don't need to be given that much thought. KLK executes it's fight sequences better but beyond that both are pretty average.

Guys I hear nothing but great things about the Haruhi Suzumiya movie from people I trust. Should I give the whole series a watch so I can watch that? Or should I not bother?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Guys I hear nothing but great things about the Haruhi Suzumiya movie from people I trust. Should I give the whole series a watch so I can watch that? Or should I not bother?

The original series is worth watching. S2 isn't. Movie is indeed GOAT.

Buddy Complex Episode 12

Hahahaha Bizon got friend zoned he should of saw it coming, good luck next time man.

smug.gif

Anyways overall this episode was great. I feel bad for Hina though hope all ends well leading up to episode 13

Branduil

Thoughts on Space Dandy after the first cour

The show didn't get off to the strongest start. The first ten minutes of the series were spent on a not particularly funny joke about a restaurant called "Boobies," and although the second half of the episode was amazingly animated, it wasn't the best of narratives. The second episode was much stronger in that regard, although it felt a little bit longer than it needed to be. The third episode was probably the weakest in the series. So it's not surprising if lots of people soured on it after that.

However, with the fourth episode, things changed, and for the first time the show started to live up to its potential, embracing the full possibilities of the episodic and self-rebooting structure. Ever since that episode's humorous and novel take on the zombie apocalypse, the series has found its voice and become consistent in its inconsistency, with every episode presenting an individualistic interpretation of the Space Dandy universe and its character. We've had episodes with heart and genuine emotion, episodes with outrageous comedy, and episodes where I go need to ly dow for a while(sometime all three at the same time). That's not to say every episode has been consistently great(and that would be nearly impossible in series where each episode's creative staff is given as much freedom as they are here), but the difference pre- and post-episode 3 is like night and day.

Through it all, Space Dandy has had some really amazing animation from stars like Yutaka Nakamura, Bahi JD, and countless others; beautiful layouts and backgrounds from inventive artists like Kevin Aymeric; and excellent tracks from musicians like Yoko Kanno, Yasuyuki Okamura, etc. There's no denying Shinichiro Watanabe's sense of style, or his talent for finding and collaborating with other talented people.

No, Space Dandy isn't as good as Cowboy Bebop, but that's an unfair standard to hold a show to. Taken on its own, it's been a pretty fantastic anthology of short stories about a certain group of characters in a certain universe, and with its strong finish I very much look forward to it continuing in three months.

Episode ranking:

12>13>9>10>4>5>7>11>8>2>6>1>3

Theonik

Giant Robo 2

Goddamn, Mecha genre, what happened to you? I mean holy shit, the animation in this was fantastic. The direction and writing were glorious, but I mean seriously, there was just so much wonderful mechanical animation in this and I look at you now, Mecha, with your janky ass N64-to-early-PS2 era CG and I just don't know how you let yourself go. You still turn out some glorious Gundam programs, but outside that? My God what happened here?

You were so damn good.
I thought I'd point you to check out the Manga English dub afterwards.
The JP dub is a TON better. But the Manga English dub is a special thing.
Cheesy to the very core including one of my favourite lines.
What can I say, I'm an immortal kind of guy.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Nisekoi 12
Gy0emdwl.png

Speaking of characters who exist to excuse the stupidity of the show...
Basically this show only has Shaft going for it, which somehow makes it worse than that Vampire Bund show by definition. lol
Sometime tell me, does that bodyguard girl somehow have a key as well? :p

---

Loli Conquest
I have no idea what happened in this show or why
Americans
insist in dressing like stereotypes in every anime, but I guess that's where we're at now. I think I liked the show the best when it was just pure nonsense.

In that spirit, I like to believe that the old man in the corner here is throwing the devil horns:
iP8iuDVl.jpg

----

No-rin fin
yGQbU7el.png

I've sort of railed against just making random references before, but the absurdity of a "30"-year old angsty woman doing a Sailor Moon transformation was enough to get me to laugh.

But that was until the actual ending, which referenced the end of Macross Frontier that just fucking slayed me:
ogSANGil.jpg

The original shot here.
hNRXpv4l.jpg

Maybe because it's the one thing I didn't expect them to reference, given how "new" it is, but using MacF's bullshit non-ending to basically point out that they are also going to have a non-ending was a bit of a masterstroke because of how unexpected it was.

Anyway, the ending just confirmed to me that No-rin just had more "heart" than Silver Spoon. Maybe it was the hard swings between the comedic and the dramatic that made it all work, but I just believe way more in the message of farming that No-rin was trying to espouse than the one in Silver Spoon. Heck, No-rin even managed to sneak in Arjuna moments without making it seem too preachy, precisely because of its absurdity.

I mean, even in the final arc, where you find out that the guy was basically abandoned by his father and left to fend for himself in a village as a child isn't really dwelt on because it's followed by that MacF reference. You don't really have time to wallow in his manufactured despair, not that he ever really isn't positive anyway.

I had no expectations for this show, but it ended up being a surprise favourite.

CorvoSol

I thought I'd point you to check out the Manga English dub afterwards.
The JP dub is a TON better. But the Manga English dub is a special thing.
Cheesy to the very core including one of my favourite lines.
What can I say, I'm an immortal kind of guy.

I am actually already watching this in English.

Ok so from what I'm understanding watch season 1 and then decide what to do with the second season and watch the fantastic movie. Got it. Added to list.

Yeah. There's 1 episode in S2 that has ties to what happens in the movie and so does S1. If you enjoy the first season you should watch The Sigh of Haruhi Suzumiya and either parts or all of Endless Eight.

I watched all of Endless Eight and don't regret it. Probably won't watch it all again on a re-watch though.

Make sure to watch Haruhi-chan after season 1. Frickin' hilarious.

And, yeah. This too!

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Honestly with KLK and Rosario, both are "junk food" anime. Both pander. Both are ridiculous in fight scenes. Both have some pretty 2 dimensional characters. Both have a plot not really worth talking about. You watch them because it's mindless entertainment.

To be honest I probably didn't give it a lot of thought but that's because they are anime where their plots and characters don't need to be given that much thought. KLK executes it's fight sequences better but beyond that both are pretty average.
And those are all simplistic comparisons that don't really consider degree. "One pantyshot, one thousand pantyshots, what's the difference?"

Although the comparison between fight scenes is equivocal, leveraging on multiple meanings of "ridiculous" to claim they're the same. KLK fight scenes are over the top in intensity but run into budgetary constraints on execution, while Rosario fights are the epitome of conseptual laziness. There are no varied situations in which the fight must be figured out, no alternate means by which victory is achieved, and no ongoing tension to provide meaning to the action on screen. KLK did get lazy with choreography sometimes as many of Ryuuko's opponents were functionally stationary, but it did offer some good moments. In Rosario it's "Bad guy shows up. Girl powers up (to narration explaining the obvious each and every time). Girl kicks bad guy. Victory." That's it. No more. It's like ordering a hamburger and getting hamburger flavored baby food because they assume you can't chew.

Can you not see now how your position fails to hold water here?

cajunator

Banned
Haibane Renmei 1

So now I get why Angel Beats is always compared to this. Both first episodes almost hit the same beats at the same points in their respective first episodes. Both MC's ask almost the same questions. Both have amnesia.

This isn't a bad thing. I love Angel Beats. This first episode was very strong. It was a bit slow but that's to be expected of any first episode really. I liked the music. All the characters are pretty likable and it's already revealed some of the rules of the world. I really like it. The art is actually quite beautiful. This was a very strong start. I like pretty much everything I have seen and heard so far.

greatest anime of cajun's time.

Yami 13

Yay, more pancakes! In a flashback! While falling through space.

Time for a steamy bath. And boring, repetitive inner monologue.

And now Eve is serving Lilith pancakes.

Hazuki lounging about her house in her underwear. And there's Eve, standing outside in the rain with a boy. why

Wow, they really do love reusing animation in this series.

Wait, are we really
rewatching the first episode here
?

Oh, this is new. :SDBurton territory!

Saliva after the kiss. Stay classy, Yami.

WAT

So Eve erases all of Hazuki's memories of her, and all traces of her existence.
Except the pancakes.

And more reused scenes.

So wait, everything that happened in this series
was in a book being read by Aya. Who the heck is Aya? What about Yami? What about the hat? What was Seiren's purpose in all of this? Why was Lilith so useless overall?
Why is everything left unexplained?

Suddenly live action.

So, Eve erased all of Hazuki's memories of her, BUT LEFT A VIDEO TELLING HAZUKI TO REMEMBER HER FACE? WHAT THE HELL?

You just got Yami all over you. Take this towel.

Madoka Magica: The Rebellion Story

This wasn't necessary, I mean, what was the point of this? Other than money and pandering, of course.

To make me buy an expensive Homura figure.

Branduil

Giant Robo 2

You were so damn good.

You need to watch Space Dandy episode 13!

I've sort of railed against just making random references before, but the absurdity of a "30"-year old angsty woman doing a Sailor Moon transformation was enough to get me to laugh.

But that was until the actual ending, which referenced the end of Macross Frontier that just fucking slayed me:

The original shot here.

Maybe because it's the one thing I didn't expect them to reference, given how "new" it is, but using MacF's bullshit non-ending to basically point out that they are also going to have a non-ending was a bit of a masterstroke because of how unexpected it was.

Anyway, the ending just confirmed to me that No-rin just had more "heart" than Silver Spoon. Maybe it was the hard swings between the comedic and the dramatic that made it all work, but I just believe way more in the message of farming that No-rin was trying to espouse than the one in Silver Spoon. Heck, No-rin even managed to sneak in Arjuna moments without making it seem too preachy, precisely because of its absurdity.

I mean, even in the final arc, where you find out that the guy was basically abandoned by his father and left to fend for himself in a village as a child isn't really dwelt on because it's followed by that MacF reference. You don't really have time to wallow in his manufactured despair, not that he ever really isn't positive anyway.

I had no expectations for this show, but it ended up being a surprise favourite.

Usually rapid changes in tone is a turn-off, but No-Rin somehow pulled it off. There aren't many shows where I can enjoy it as a wacky comedy, but also have the serious moments work for me too. I didn't catch that Macross F reference, though the Char reference with Kei near the end got me.

Branduil

I dunno about EVERYONE, but Frenchie definitely does.

I been wondering if it isn't time to get back into Space Dandy anyway. I remember seeing the race episode but IDK if that was the last one I saw.

No wait, I think the last one I saw was about undies vs vests.

The racing episode was after the undies/vests one.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Oh yeah, I forgot to elaborate on a specific point. Using a vampire in fight scenes and then the only power used is kicking is a total waste of concept. There are so many things that one can do with such a character that a show does NONE of it demonstates what I mentioned early by "not even trying". There are penty of anime that craft half-decent scenarios, and some like Hellsing Unlimited go whole-hog with it.

Life is short. Don't give participation prizes as not everyone is a winner here.

Jex

Damn Gosick is covering a topic I'd never thought I would see in anime. Sex trafficking/slavery.

Most writers would stay away from discussing such a subject unless they really thought they could handle it. Kind of like why you don't see most writers casually bring up the subject of sexual abuse because they don't feel competent enough to talk about something so sensitive and serious. Unless you're Elfen Lied and you chose to talk about/show it all the time because you're a gross and reprehensible series that had to show such events in graphic detail. Or one of those anime shows that feels the need to depict rape in detail for questionable reasons.

Not that women do well in anime in general :(

And those are all simplistic comparisons that don't really consider degree. "One pantyshot, one thousand pantyshots, what's the difference?"

Although the comparison between fight scenes is equivocal, leveraging on multiple meanings of "ridiculous" to claim they're the same. KLK fight scenes are over the top in intensity but run into budgetary constraints on execution, while Rosario fights are the epitome of conseptual laziness. There are no varied situations in which the fight must be figured out, no alternate means by which victory is achieved, and no ongoing tension to provide meaning to the action on screen. KLK did get lazy with choreography sometimes as many of Ryuuko's opponents were functionally stationary, but it did offer some good moments. In Rosario it's "Bad guy shows up. Girl powers up (to narration explaining the obvious each and every time). Girl kicks bad guy. Victory." That's it. No more. It's like ordering a hamburger and getting hamburger flavored baby food because they assume you can't chew.

Can you not see now how your position fails to hold water here?

You're kidding right? Most fights in KLK for 18 episodes end the same exact way just like they do in Rosario. Ryuuko powers up uses the scissor blade attack that unclothes her opponent and absorbs the life fiber. It ends the same way every single time. Just like how Rosario fights end the same way every single time. Arguing that "sometimes" there are different moments before that happens is asinine. You didn't even address my main argument instead going after little comments I made on the side. My main point was their both pretty average with KLK being better at fight choreography. You think I am defending Rosario when I'm really not. Every moment, every time Ryuuko or Satsuki transforms they get naked. And the show takes every moment it can show off their breasts or butts. Yet your arguing that there are more panty shots in Rosario. Your argument is completely asinine.

What it seems to me is that you're offended that I didn't think KLK is the "steak dinner" of anime. Neither are. They are both mindless anime. The "junk food".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom