• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter-Spring 2014 Anime |OT3| People incapable of guilt usually do have a good time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quasar

There sure are a lot of harem shows where people don't bother to remember the girls' names and just refer to them by hair color.

That's because people are bloody rude. I'll never understand that. Of course mangagafs insane use of stupid inpenetrable nicknames for manga rather just using their proper names also annoys the hell out of me.

Oh yeah, I forgot to elaborate on a specific point. Using a vampire in fight scenes and then the only power used is kicking is a total waste of concept. There are so many things that one can do with such a character that a show does NONE of it demonstates what I mentioned early by "not even trying". There are penty of anime that craft half-decent scenarios, and some like Hellsing Unlimited go whole-hog with it.

Life is short. Don't give participation prizes as not everyone is a winner here.

Sounds like the anime really butchered things. The manga isn't some bastion of originality, but the fights at least have variety and the occasional creative ability. The final few were actually a little bit impressive in how they handled the escalation of things.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Magical Warfare end

Hey, I got an idea! Let's end our show right at the beginning of an arc! That won't piss people off at all!
Buy the manga bro!

Usually rapid changes in tone is a turn-off, but No-Rin somehow pulled it off. There aren't many shows where I can enjoy it as a wacky comedy, but also have the serious moments work for me too. I didn't catch that Macross F reference, though the Char reference with Kei near the end got me.
It's funny, considering how they couldn't resist throwing in another bout of Becky and her "cakeness", yet somehow it fit in perfectly with the rest of the episode and its message about small towns and farmers. Go figure!

Most writers would stay away from discussing such a subject unless they really thought they could handle it. Kind of like why you don't see most writers casually bring up the subject of sexual abuse because they don't feel competent enough to talk about something so sensitive and serious. Unless you're Elfen Lied and you chose to talk about/show it all the time because you're a gross and reprehensible series that had to show such events in graphic detail. Or one of those anime shows that feels the need to depict rape in detail for questionable reasons.

Not that women do well in anime in general :(

I hope you're planning on watching Gokukoku no Bryhildr in spring. Same guy that did Elfen Lied.

cajunator

Banned
Out of the frying pan and onto a plate to be eaten

WcngGXe.jpg

Shes finally smiling for once!

Shergal

KLK did get lazy with choreography sometimes as many of Ryuuko's opponents were functionally stationary, but it did offer some good moments.

It did? Honestly the action was by far the worst part of KlK. Not just the fighting and presentation, the back-and-forth between the characters was about as lazy as the frame-sliding on a flat plane. I think the only action scene where I felt there was something creative going on was that one on ep 5.

Link Man

Banned
Demon King Daimao 1

Setting the tone a bit early, I see.

Wow, that's one creepy-looking pope.

Blue-hair ass girl said transfers are rare, and now, we're in a nurse's office full of transfer students.

I will henceforth refer to this anime as Sexy Harry Potter.

Well, this nurse certainly is pleasant. And mad.

:DTL?

He grabs her wooden sword, and...wat.

Yep, we're in a harem comedy.

Well, at least she's not masturbating. Damn you Yami, you're making this look good.

Suddenly red-haired girl. And she's already devoted to this guy.

And an observer. Who is a green-haired chick.

I am so lost right now.

Branduil

Most writers would stay away from discussing such a subject unless they really thought they could handle it. Kind of like why you don't see most writers casually bring up the subject of sexual abuse because they don't feel competent enough to talk about something so sensitive and serious. Unless you're Elfen Lied and you chose to talk about/show it all the time because you're a gross and reprehensible series that had to show such events in graphic detail. Or one of those anime shows that feels the need to depict rape in detail for questionable reasons.

Or, as I learned tonight, if you're Nasu!

There's something incredibly amusing about the fact that we are debating whether KLK's fight scenes are a lazy as Rosario Vampire's.

Or, as I learned tonight, if you're Nasu!
Every single Nasu story has a girl that is a victim of sexual abuse, it's one of his staples.

Narag

god, i was curious so checked Gifu Dodo!!'s page for ratings. There's a total of 16. Not 16 five star, not 16 four star, etc, but 16 across all ratings.

edit: lol 61 facebook likes, 3 google+ whatevers, and 8 tweets. :(

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
It did? Honestly the action was by far the worst part of KlK. Not just the fighting and presentation, the back-and-forth between the characters was about as lazy as the frame-sliding on a flat plane. I think the only action scene where I felt there was something creative going on was that one on ep 5.
The first fight with Satsuki, CG wall walk aside, was legitimately good. The early fight with Uzu was also interesting. The fights with Inumuta, Gamagoori, and Nonon were definitely more lackluster.

Really? Please tell me there's childhood friends and dramatic trauma surrounding them!

Somewhat. I'd say it's a more action-oriented Elfen Lied with less focus on despair (though it's still pretty dark and gory).

It's kind of in between the guy's other major works (Nononono and Elfen Lied) in terms of tone.

sonicmj1

Really? Please tell me there's childhood friends and dramatic trauma surrounding them!

Synopsis said:
...the series revolves around high school student Murakami Ryouta (Ohsaka Ryota). Having lost his childhood crush Kuroneko in an accident, Murakami spends his days trying to prove the existence of aliens in her stead. One day, a new transfer student suddenly arrives, possessing both a similar appearance and name to his deceased friend. Calling herself Kurohaneko (Taneda Risa), she’s in possession of superhuman strength and claims to be a magician on the run. Despite the warning that they’ll be killed if discovered together, Murakami finds himself drawn to her, and their interactions end up changing both of their lives forever.

You're in luck!

Narag

CR Demon King Daimo reviews:

Demon King Daimao is one of the anime that I recommend people to watch. It has many unexpected plots and events. People who like anime with magic should watch Demon King Daimao. Demon King Daimao can people laugh out loud. I also recommend people who like anime with ninja and samurai to watch Demon King Daimao. People who like the anime Negima should like Demon King Daimao.

Great anime for the guys in the house. I swear im looking at female panties more then several times in each episode.

his series contains something for everyone:
- Magic
-Demons
-Fantasy Worlds
-other Dimensions
-Hot Babes
-Super Heroes
-Hardcore to the Floor Bad Arse ACTION
-EPIIX Romance
-Harem
-Bustycons
-Lolicons

Demon King Daimao is a very precise anime. Easily forgettable and very predictable. That being said, this is a great way to spend an afternoon.

Overall, I thought that the story was very compelling, like a reverse Harry Potter.

Shergal

The first fight with Satsuki, CG wall walk aside, was legitimately good. The early fight with Uzu was also interesting. The fights with Inumuta, Gamagoori, and Nonon were definitely more lackluster.

I guess the context in which the fight in 3 was framed was what the show called for at the time. I wasn't too keen on the actual engagement though; it felt like they wasted a lot of animation talent due to lack of an interesting storyboard and proper planning. The scenes that weren't gross CG were just crossing swords, shit blowing up with smoke or building up an ultimate attack that ended up being a still with speedlines.
Looking back at it, it would've been cool if that fight had more of a consequence and the show went somewhere from that, because how many times did they repeat the same duel? It got meaningless at some point, but then again, repetitiveness was a main issue on all the facets of the show.

Soma

I dunno I thought it had some rare moments of good animation and choreography just the thing was that they were really brief.

Episode 11
Episode 15
Episode 18
Episode 18

It definitely lacked some memorable action scenes in the last portion of the show though.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
NTHT used rape to show that it was a SERIOUS show that involved SERIOUS ISSUES for ADULTS, not like other shows that only involve trivial nonsense for kiddy kids.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
god, i was curious so checked Gifu Dodo!!'s page for ratings. There's a total of 16. Not 16 five star, not 16 four star, etc, but 16 across all ratings.

edit: lol 61 facebook likes, 3 google+ whatevers, and 8 tweets. :(

Would make it 17 but apparently you have to write a review to rate something on Crunchyroll. I understand why but ugh.

Gifuu's going to be one of those things that I will probably beg people to watch for years to come and will never succeed, like Natsu no Arashi. At least my jidaigeki hipster cred is through the roof since I like this and Bakumatsu Gijinden Roman.

Link Man

Banned
You seem to be confused, why would you imagine Crunchyroll user reviews to have any meaning whatsoever?

Because they were overwhelmingly positive? I don't know. I just thought that crunchyroll would attract those with good taste in anime, but I'm starting to rethink that.

Would it be strange to drop this show after completing Yami of my own free will? Or should I continue so that I may provide impressions?

Krogan

Well it's coming from the guy that had
a girl raped by the worm familiars of her adopted grandfather.

Probably the most disgusting thing I have seen in anime so far. I saw that character is in the Fate/Stay Night but have yet to decide if I should bother seeing as when I read some wikis about Sakura
it was just over the top depressing
. Is the whole
rape stuff
actually in F/SN or just the VN?

madp

The Light of El Cantare
CR Demon King Daimo reviews:

The only thing that keeps me sane when I'm forced to grasp just how inarticulate and undiscerning most of the vocal participants in this hobby are is that most of these people are probably teenagers. Even then, it doesn't really help.

CorvoSol

Tomino channels his hate for women in different ways, so he's really not as bad as some Japanese writers, all things considered!

Aside from, you know, the lightsaber bikini nonsense. Or Reccoa Londe betraying everything and everyone she stood for for some dick she never even got. Or Haman Khan, ruler of Earth, falling in love with a fifteen year old.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom