• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter-Spring 2014 Anime |OT3| People incapable of guilt usually do have a good time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Probably the most disgusting thing I have seen in anime so far. I saw that character is in the Fate/Stay Night but have yet to decide if I should bother seeing as when I read some wikis about Sakura
it was just over the top depressing
. Is the whole
rape stuff
actually in F/SN or just the VN?

I don't think it's in the FSN anime, but I haven't watched it. It's in F/Z, but not shown explicitly.

Branduil

Ah, the old rape as guaranteed dramatic backstory thing. Gross.

I don't know what it says about The Garden of Sinners when the film about a
gangrape victim who gains magical powers and starts murdering her attackers
is the most entertaining one so far.

Those Demon King Daimao animes pale in comparison to the best MyAnimeList Reviewer. Here's his review where he compares Demon King Daimao to Problem Children

Both main characters are badasses with beast powers and shit. They both get all the bitches and know how to kick ass. Both anime are beast.

Needless to say I watched both shows thanks to this man

That's because people are bloody rude. I'll never understand that. Of course mangagafs insane use of stupid inpenetrable nicknames for manga rather just using their proper names also annoys the hell out of me.
...uh they're fictional characters. Who exactly is being insulted? And mangagaf explains all the nicknames in the op. I don't get how someone gets so upset over something so trivial.

Gazoinks

Gintama 84-85

So noir my screen is permanently died black. So hard-boiled my PC is currently sitting in a pot of boiling water on my stove.

Seriously though, translators? Getting a little overzealous with the notes. I'm aware that Arley Davidson is a reference to Harley Davidson thank you. Not to mention that you only made the note THE SECOND TIME IT WAS REFERENCED. What is even the point.

I'd like to think they're setting up a genre shift to turn it into Kingdom Hearts.

I stopped watching the show after episode 4 or so, so I'm just going to pretend this happens.

CorvoSol

Maybe if Char hadn't been so frigid...!

Now, I know this is going to sound crazy but maybe Char was freaked out by the whole thing? Her affection for him comes out of NOWHERE. It's not like when he was with Lalah or when he's got what's her bucket in CCA. Both of those times Char's got some lead in, but Reccoa's just suddenly like "BEING AROUND KAMILLE MAKES ME WANT DICK SO BAD CHAR LEMME JUMP YO NEWTYPE BONES."

Narag

Now, I know this is going to sound crazy but maybe Char was freaked out by the whole thing? Her affection for him comes out of NOWHERE. It's not like when he was with Lalah or when he's got what's her bucket in CCA. Both of those times Char's got some lead in, but Reccoa's just suddenly like "BEING AROUND KAMILLE MAKES ME WANT DICK SO BAD CHAR LEMME JUMP YO NEWTYPE BONES."

If only she had been 16 or so, he'd have prevented catastrophe.

Quasar

Seriously, it might hurt the feelings of the characters

:)

It offends me. If you can't even be bothered to know the names of the characters I'm not sure you are going have anything to say that's worth caring about.

Not that this happens only with anime. I saw it quite a bit wrt Game of Thrones.

Kyne

watched episodes 1-5. Aaaaaaaa this show is so boring. I just came off of 1-24'ing KLK and now I have this crap to settle with?

time to move on and find something else. maybe Log Horizon?

sonicmj1

You're kidding right? Most fights in KLK for 18 episodes end the same exact way just like they do in Rosario. Ryuuko powers up uses the scissor blade attack that unclothes her opponent and absorbs the life fiber. It ends the same way every single time. Just like how Rosario fights end the same way every single time. Arguing that "sometimes" there are different moments before that happens is asinine. You didn't even address my main argument instead going after little comments I made on the side. My main point was their both pretty average with KLK being better at fight choreography. You think I am defending Rosario when I'm really not. Every moment, every time Ryuuko or Satsuki transforms they get naked. And the show takes every moment it can show off their breasts or butts. Yet your arguing that there are more panty shots in Rosario. Your argument is completely asinine.

What it seems to me is that you're offended that I didn't think KLK is the "steak dinner" of anime. Neither are. They are both mindless anime. The "junk food".

Hitokage's point is that it's not just about what an anime is aiming to be (KLK and Rosario are both unambitious) but how it achieves its aims. There are many ways to do baddie-of-the-week fights. There are many ways to titillate. There are many ways to do transformations. If you're not going to look at the how, and you're only going to focus on whether or not a similar thing is present, you're not giving useful analysis.

I can't argue any point comparatively because I haven't wasted my time watching Rosario. But to speak to titillation in Kill la Kill, the show doesn't take every moment it can to show off the characters assets when they've transformed. There's actually a very deliberate shift in framing between the first three episodes (when Ryuuko is embarrassed by Senketsu) and in subsequent episodes. In early episodes, the camera settles on Ryuuko's assets frequently, and characters call attention to her lewd appearance. As the series progresses, we see less focus on just her breasts and ass when she fights. Particularly late in the series, many characters spend tons of time in near-full nudity without being objectified by the camera.

Of course, Kill la Kill then finds newer, more transgressive frontiers for its fanservice, but that's another argument.

I don't know about Rosario, but compared to a show like High School of the Dead that seeks to deliver fanservice in every conceivable situation (such as the pantyshot in episode 1 while a girl is being devoured by zombies, or the infamous sniper rifle .gif), Kill la Kill is more thoughtful about how it serves up its junk food to the audience.

Surface level similarities aren't useful analysis. You need to look at how their execution differs if you want to make meaningful comparisons. In-N-Out and Carl's Jr. both serve cheeseburgers, but there's a reason that most people prefer the former for their fast food.

watched episodes 1-5. Aaaaaaaa this show is so boring. I just came off of 1-24'ing KLK and now I have this crap to settle with?

Just watch 2 more episodes of it. Trust me, I thought it was boring as well before then.

To be fair I forget the names of characters all the time. They're too foreign and I'm already bad with names. And I'm too lazy to open a new tab ans go to MAL

At the very least reach episode 7 and finish it. That's where the show demonstrates its true colors.

Narag

:)

It offends me. If you can't even be bothered to know the names of the characters I'm not sure you are going have anything to say that's worth caring about.

Not that this happens only with anime. I saw it quite a bit wrt Game of Thrones.

I still don't know the actual name of Boob Alien.

apparently you need to give it two more eps for the goods.

Branduil

NTHT used rape to show that it was a SERIOUS show that involved SERIOUS ISSUES for ADULTS, not like other shows that only involve trivial nonsense for kiddy kids.

Okay, I don't think this criticism in particular is fair. The rape scenes in NTHT are very restrained, and focused much more on the psychological impact on the victim than anything else. Your critique is a bit content-less here.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
You're kidding right? Most fights in KLK for 18 episodes end the same exact way just like they do in Rosario. Ryuuko powers up uses the scissor blade attack that unclothes her opponent and absorbs the life fiber. It ends the same way every single time. Just like how Rosario fights end the same way every single time. Arguing that "sometimes" there are different moments before that happens is asinine. You didn't even address my main argument instead going after little comments I made on the side. My main point was their both pretty average with KLK being better at fight choreography. You think I am defending Rosario when I'm really not. Every moment, every time Ryuuko or Satsuki transforms they get naked. And the show takes every moment it can show off their breasts or butts. Yet your arguing that there are more panty shots in Rosario. Your argument is completely asinine.

What it seems to me is that you're offended that I didn't think KLK is the "steak dinner" of anime. Neither are. They are both mindless anime. The "junk food".
You're failing to acknowledge that the end result does not comprise the entirety of the fight. Ryuuko slashes people with the sword, but the fight involves opening up the opportunity to do so as normally she can't just do it. In Rosario the fights are no-contests. There is no buildup. If anything, your argument is saying that all romance stories are the same because they all just kiss at the end.

As for the question of moral superority, I actually don't need to talk about that here, because when I criticize Rosario for being a pantyshot show it is primarily to highlight how it has absolutely nothing else. Furthermore, my offhand remark about degrees was just to illustrate how worthless it is to shrug and go "well they both have it". That's not an argument, that's an evasion. I chose to go over fight scenes because it efficiently shows how Rosario fails to do as much as a flawed show like KLK. Going over the nature of sexuality in media and voyeurism takes more work, not to mention examining the premise of harem anime and its implementation in Rosario, which, as it happens, is also lazy.

I actually don't think that highly of KLK, and I'd even concede that it's average. However, Rosario is honestly one of the worst shows I've ever seen and all this time I've been arguing why.

Hajime no Ippo: Rising 25

What a fantastic episode, one of the best in the entire series' run. It's sad that it will take ages before we get more, but this is a great note to end on.

'-'

i will give it two more episodes. I AM TRUSTING YOU GAF.

When we say the show COMPLETELY changes, we mean it. In fact, it pretty intentionally fucks around with the audience.

That what I expected/what I got image sums it up nicely (which I can't find right now).

You're failing to acknowledge that the end result does not comprise the entirety of the fight. Ryuuko slashes people with the sword, but the fight involves opening up the opportunity to do so as normally she can't just do it. In Rosario the fights are no-contests. There is no buildup. If anything, your argument is saying that all romance stories are the same because they all just kiss at the end.

As for the question of moral superority, I actually don't need to talk about that here, because when I criticize Rosario for being a pantyshot show it is primarily to highlight how it has absolutely nothing else. Furthermore, my offhand remark about degrees was just to illustrate how worthless it is to shrug and go "well they both have it". That's not an argument, that's an evasion. I chose to go over fight scenes because it efficiently shows how Rosario fails to do as much as a flawed show like KLK. Going over the nature of sexuality in media and voyeurism takes more work, not to mention examining the premise of harem anime and its implementation in Rosario, which, as it happens, is also lazy.

I actually don't think that highly of KLK, and I'd even concede that it's average. However, Rosario is honestly one of the worst shows I've ever seen and all this time I've been arguing why.

I honestly have no idea what you're arguing at this point because you keep going off on tangents.

Here is my one and only point: Both are average. That's it.

I've explained why with KLK many times before now and Rosario is also lazy, panders and is quite lazy with it's fights. You're arguing semantics with me and I don't really give a flying hoot. You think Rosario is one of the worst things you seen. Fantastic. Good for you. I really don't care all that much for the show either. I am not going to defend it. I have literally been agreeing with you the entire time on Rosario. But you've created this fallacy that somehow I am disagreeing with you on that point.

I don't know how I got wrapped up in a semantics argument but I will not converse any further on it. I am literally agreeing with you. Take it or leave it. I have better things to do with my time than argue whether which anime panders more or is more lazy when I don't care for either all that much.

Link Man

Banned
Right, I think I shall drop Daimao then. So next on my list is Kyousougiga.

Edit: But not tonight. I'm exhausted from too much questionable anime.

Gazoinks

Galaxy Express 999 1

You know what's cool? Trains. You know what's also cool? Space. You know what's even cooler? Space trains! In space! I love that the 999 is literally just a steam train in space. It even has a working smokestack for some reason!

And man, Tetsuro.
His first major action in the show is grabbing a machine gun, killing five dudes, and then burning down their house. I'm not sure if I should cheer him on or feel terrified.

This seems like a good show, and I'm guessing it will fit my desire for an episodic space travel series. I'll stick with it!

Right, I think I shall drop Daimao then. So next on my list is Kyousougiga.

Edit: But not tonight. I'm exhausted from too much questionable anime.

That's one of my top shows last season, very sweet family story all around.

Black Lagoon 2

Amen, hallelujah, and peanut butter.

Keep posting impressions, one of my top 10 anime. There's an arc early on that is the only one that drags on a bit. It involves a painting.

so samurai flamenco good or bad insane?

ippo rising 25

ixbzYCtuUkhJT.gif

sooo good. so did the gal die? I think i missed something.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Clearly there is some multidimensional phenomenon going on. Raku made a promise with every girl, and reality has broken down and they all exist at once.

I'd like to think they're setting up a genre shift to turn it into Kingdom Hearts.

Sounds like Bioshock. There's always a man, a girl, and a key. Ken Levine to adapt Nisekoi for America.

---

Sakura Trick fin
4ZRSLJOl.jpg

Daw? This is if they took the Sae and Hiro graduation episode and just came out and said they were making out with each other during the off periods. lol

I still feel the same way about the show, inasmuch as I think the show is very much a let down in terms of its "place" as a yuri anime. But given that serious/semi-serious yuri anime clearly doesn't sell, and now that safe yuri anime which takes the basic premise of an all girl show where the leads happen to make out every episode also isn't lighting up the charts, I wonder what this means for the future of the genre. There are a lot of short and medium length yuri books that people could adapt, but if there's no money in it, why would anyone do it?

It's also sad that even though I don't think Sakura Trick is all that ambitious, I'm disappointed that it failed because all that means is that we'll get more KLK-esque lesbians where the characters have absolutely no sexual identity whatsoever and exist only to titillate the male audience. Even a show that I do genuinely like, Yakuindomo, has the token lesbian stalker character.

I hope someone gives it another shot, although I have no idea what approach they could take. I feel like something like Ohana Holoholo might work, but an anime about adults? Noitamina has seemingly given up, so I don't even know who would even think about doing a show like that.

It's all a little depressing to think about anyway.

I am having an unusually hard time finding episodes for G Gundam. Heh. I'll find a place to watch it eventually.

PshycoNinja: This is a thread for discussing anime. It's not always going to be agreement.

I don't mind discussing anime. Arguing over which anime is worse is not something that directly appeals to me. Especially if it's two anime I don't really care for. Life is too short. Rather would spend it enjoying my discussions on this forum and talking about anime I do enjoy, rather then arguing over two bad/average anime.

I don't know what you want from me. If you want to discuss the fundamentals of KLK and Rosario and their faults I would be more than happy to do so. But if you want to call my intelligence into question and talk to me like I am five years old, I won't proceed with this discussion. I refuse to be patronized.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Well, at the very least, it wasn't exploitative.
This is quite true.
Okay, I don't think this criticism in particular is fair. The rape scenes in NTHT are very restrained, and focused much more on the psychological impact on the victim than anything else. Your critique is a bit content-less here.
Hmmm, yeah, you're right, I'm not actually criticizing the show here but its reception. People reference it as a show that deals with heavy shit, but not enough attention is paid to whether it does such issues justice.

It certainly handles the sexual assault itself better than other shows--not exactly hard--but as usual I'd argue that it gets undercut along with everything else as part of hardships that the show's protagonist never has to appreciate or be affected by.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom