• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter-Spring 2014 Anime |OT3| People incapable of guilt usually do have a good time

Status
Not open for further replies.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Space☆Dandy 13 - S1 END

Goddamn this was so fucking good. Pretty much everything in this episode resonated with me: the action, the romance, the comedy, the music (good god the music was good), the animation (Space☆Dandy has crazy good animation all ready but that last fight sequence HOLY SHIT), just...everything. Thank you for not falling apart after the first few lackluster episodes Space☆Dandy, thank you. I love this ride.

See you in July, baby.

duckroll

Wizard Barristers - 11

RIP in peace budget.

pls be fixed for the blurays

It -definitely- wasn't budget. Especially if you look at the key animation credits. Huge animator names, most of which didn't have their work appear in the episode at all, since it probably wasn't complete yet.

Mr.Jeff

edit: on the topic of Haruhi, does Michuru or w/e her name is serve any purpose besides crying moe blob?
No, she remains the single most useless character in anything. Her existence is justified through narrative necessity but the show would be much more enjoyable with her gone.

There sure are a lot of harem shows where people don't bother to remember the girls' names and just refer to them by hair color.
When you're watching a trash show that assembles a cast of the same boring character archetypes as everything else and whose existence is mainly only there for titillation purposes, why would a name be important?

Thoraxes

It -definitely- wasn't budget. Especially if you look at the key animation credits. Huge animator names, most of which didn't have their work appear in the episode at all, since it probably wasn't complete yet.

That's good to know at least. I know Sentai has the rights for home video release too, so i'll probably end up snagging that later then.

However, that episode in it's current form is just downright embarrassing. I thought my TV was broken when I was watching it. I remember when you were mentioning all the names to me too, getting me all hyped and then it came out like that for the TV version. I was honestly flabbergasted.

Has that actually happened anytime in past few years? I would think US distributors would be smart enough to always ask for the best/most complete masters of any work they grab.
Funimation released broadcast masters of Sankarea and Viz released broadcast masters of Nura within the past 4 months. In short, US distributors don't care because people buy this anyways. Also adding that Sentai's become too cheap to ask for textless opening/endings anymore. Sasami, Flowers of Evil, and Majestic Prince v1 all lack them despite being from different licensors they have good relationships with. You may get a decent product, but let someone else be the sucker to pay for QCing a release.

Crocodile

Funimation released broadcast masters of Sankarea and Viz released broadcast masters of Nura within the past 4 months. In short, US distributors don't care because people buy this anyways. Also adding that Sentai's become too cheap to ask for textless opening/endings anymore. Sasami, Flowers of Evil, and Majestic Prince v1 all lack them despite being from different licensors they have good relationships with. You may get a decent product, but let someone else be the sucker to pay for QCing a release.

mother-of-god-o.gif

It's 2013-2014 not 2000!!! What kind of ineptitude allows something like that to happen O_O

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Maison Ikkoku 8
This episode was pretty funny and in general I've warmed up to the show. I'm still not enthralled with it, but the character dynamics have developed enough that it's become entertaining rather than irritating. Hopefully individual episode can hold up, because I'm not expecting things to move very quickly given the episode count.
Kyouko being a widow was a nice early bombshell.

And yeah, expect good things down the road.

wonzo

Banned
GBF 21-22

gundambf22.jpg

I'm starting to really get sick of Build Knuckle and the fight in 22 was pretty damn underwhelming, but the resolution to Aila's struggle was just too good for words. Can't believe it's ending tomorrow. ;-;

jgminto

Mushishi 1-5

Checking this out now so I can watch the new season if I get into it. It's a pretty simple concept but I don't think I've really seen anything like it. I guess you could compare it to shitty paranormal shows that have the protagonist going around exorcising ghosts and such but this is very different in tone and structure. It feels really light on plot also, each ep has a mostly self-contained story but it doesn't feel like Ginko is moving towards some ultimate goal. It's pretty refreshing to simply watch him do his job, as weird as that job is.

It's 2013-2014 not 2000!!! What kind of ineptitude allows something like that to happen O_O

Could be a multitude of things, but it boils down to "most licensors really don't care a lot about giving the fans the best product they can." Whether it's asking for something in a format that only the broadcast masters are on or simply not checking to see if there was any difference, most US companies could care less as long as people continue to buy their products. In reverse, as long as fans keep asking for cheaper and cheaper releases, this cycle continues. The US market is kinda screwed up.

cajunator

Banned
I don't think it's in the FSN anime, but I haven't watched it. It's in F/Z, but not shown explicitly.

Its there, at least on bluray. EPisode 1 makes it quite clear what is happening to her. My mother watched this episode with me cause she was curious about FZand I forgot about that part lol.

Okay, I don't think this criticism in particular is fair. The rape scenes in NTHT are very restrained, and focused much more on the psychological impact on the victim than anything else. Your critique is a bit content-less here.

This is true. It wasnt just thrown in for the hell of it, it was meant to show that Sarah went through unimaginable mental and pyschological terror and trauma.

So I just finished no-rin and now I'm mad. Why must they do this? Just...Why? Every single time I think that there's going to be a real ending... Every fucking time... Fuck you, japan.

When youve seen enough anime you get used to these non endings. Japan likes ambiguity and seems to prefer endings that dont tell the whole story and leave the conclusion to the viewer..The US prefers a distinct resolution most of the time. Unresolved issues are met with demands for a sequel.

I don't think sanity quite works at caffeinated light-speed.

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Time for Cajunator to take a trop to Arkham.

**runs into walls

Wait so Sankarea got actually released? How did I miss that one >_
In any case Im kind of glad now I didnt order it but is there any announcement of a rerelease?

Symphogear 1-3

Seems very average. I might as well watch it just so I can say "I have watched it".

Gyo: Tokyo Fish Attack

Oh man was this something else. Read the manga recently so I thought I might as well give it a shot.... and boy was it awful. I highly recommend.

duckroll

Could be a multitude of things, but it boils down to "most licensors really don't care a lot about giving the fans the best product they can." Whether it's asking for something in a format that only the broadcast masters are on or simply not checking to see if there was any difference, most US companies could care less as long as people continue to buy their products. In reverse, as long as fans keep asking for cheaper and cheaper releases, this cycle continues. The US market is kinda screwed up.

I think the US market has basically been going backwards in recent years. It's pretty sad. It's rather disheartening to see that half of Sentai's upcoming releases are DVD boxsets with no Blu-ray options at all. The fact that they expect those to sell and for there not to be demand for Blu-ray releases of those titles clearly indicates the challenges of the market as well.

sonicmj1

Twenty minutes into Kara no Kyoukai 5, and nobody has talked about magic bloodlines or stupid mystical bullshit. It's also really well directed, even if it's intentionally pretty confusing.

Even knowing this one was a step up, I'm pretty surprised.

phaze

Twenty minutes into Kara no Kyoukai 5, and nobody has talked about magic bloodlines or stupid mystical bullshit. It's also really well directed, even if it's intentionally pretty confusing.

Even knowing this one was a step up, I'm pretty surprised.

huh funny the review I read singled out the fifth as least impressive of the bunch.

All in all is the series worth giving a shot if I loved Fate/Zero ?

huh funny the review I read singled out the fifth as least impressive of the bunch.

The 5th movie is by far the best one. And that's the general opinion, so that review is a strange outlier.

All in all is the series worth giving a shot if I loved Fate/Zero ?
The pacing is much slower and you get a lot more Nasu bullshit, but it might be worth trying.

Theonik

Ah, maybe that was the last one I saw.

Not that I could tell. He had a funny voice. But French dude and Dr. Von Evil definitely have accents.
The French guy has the funny accent in both dubs but the Manga one has it to an even more ridiculous amount and has it on more characters. The script is also cheesier.
Bald guy sounds like this in the Manga Dub.
Also don't make fun of Dr. Franken Von Voggler, it's pretty much the best name ever.

Shin Mazinger Z 1

I have no idea what I just watched but I'm pretty sure an entire giant robot series just happened in 23 minutes and it was all awesome.
Shin Mazinger Z starts at the middle of the show. You will get a more normal episode next.

Quasar

No, she remains the single most useless character in anything. Her existence is justified through narrative necessity but the show would be much more enjoyable with her gone.

For me what she did was drove home the hate I had for other characters due to her treatment.

cnet128

Banned
Guys I hear nothing but great things about the Haruhi Suzumiya movie from people I trust. Should I give the whole series a watch so I can watch that? Or should I not bother?

I see you've already watched the first episode (I'm not sure which first episode, but I'm going to assume the amateur movie one), so I'm a bit late to the party here, but nobody actually gave the correct answer to your question, so I feel the need to chime in.

The best way to watch the series at this point is not to treat the first and second seasons as separate entities, but to watch them together in chronological order. This is the way it was aired when S2 was originally made, and this is the way that's closest to the presentation in the original novels.

The weird non-chronological order that S1 was originally aired in, though it arguably makes the series a little more immediately "interesting" through sheer oddness, primarily existed to solve a problem that no longer exists, namely that airing S1 on its own in chronological order would leave it with weird-ass pacing where its climax is in the middle and everything after that is one-offs and slice-of-life-y stuff. This problem no longer exists, because if you treat the series as a whole, the series itself now contains more than one lengthy arc, and the movie provides the perfect climax to tie it all up.

Watching S1 in its original non-chronological order now is also a bad idea because it encourages watching S2 on its own, which is the worst possible way to experience S2. S2 was designed to be watched as part of the larger series, and works much better in that context. On its own, it just feels kind of underwhelming.

I also think the callbacks that the movie makes to certain events are much more effective if you experienced them in chronological order than if you treated S2 as a separate afterthought.

Mushishi 1-2

Goddamn this is disgustingly well-made.

ISN'T IT THOUGH <3<3

Symphogear 1-3

Seems very average. I might as well watch it just so I can say "I have watched it".

The first series of Symphogear is okaaaaay. Series 2 is much better. The series in general never gets super great or anything, but it's a fun ride in the end.

Mushishi 12-13
So now we see the origin story of Ginko.
And then we see dead people walking with the help of Mushi. That legend turning out to be true was interesting

Mushishi 1-2

Goddamn this is disgustingly well-made.

I love stuff like this. Even if I can't find a clear pattern through it, or some sort of profound message, each episodic story and the small relationships within resonate well enough to satisfy me.

Part of the appeal of Mushishi for me is that it feels like a meaningful exploration of the human condition without laying out obvious morals/messages about it.

Midonin

Nobunagun 13 + Final Thoughts

BYhLpUa.png

This show is fine at what it does, just that in the end I'm not sure what it does is what I'm looking for. I don't mind military elements in stories, but I don't want them to be at the very front of the story. There's a lot of things I do like about this - Sio's dorkiness is endearing, the action was usually pretty solid all around, more yuri than I was expecting, and some of the classic references (especially the one to Ishinomori) were really cool. Just that I was expecting more historical in-jokes about the various fighters being turned into weapons, and less missions to blow up sea creatures. That was inevitably going to be there, and the progression of stakes and backstory were good, but in the case of the "people vs aliens" stories, I feel like I want to know at least a little about the people, and everyone was played kind of broadly. The Thing episode was one of the ones that I felt used its time more for the characters than the action.

I was fine starting off my Sundays with it, and it was overall a very well produced show. It's simply that I wasn't the target audience for it.

duckroll

Samurai Flamenco - Episode 22 (End)

Finally watched this. Amazing finale. The final arc is a bit shaky, and the Flamenger arc was a bit too long, but on a whole this show has been one crazy ride and I wouldn't have had it any other way. I liked the characters, the message the story was going for, and was totally caught off guard by how insane the actual narrative wanted to be. One of the craziest shows I've seen in any medium, and an ending that totally acknowledges how crazy it is, and how "stupid" all the characters are, in all the best ways.

The Goto flashback was really well done, but the actual ending was really satisfying too. The shit coming out of Masayoshi's mouth was sooooo amazing. Part of me can't believe they really "went" there, while the other part of me is just celebrating that the show recognizes what people want most out of these characters. Nothing subtle. Nothing held back. Just 1000% of Samurai Flamenco Naked. Bravo.

fertygo

GBF 21-22

gundambf22.jpg

I'm starting to really get sick of Build Knuckle and the fight in 22 was pretty damn underwhelming, but the resolution to Aila's struggle was just too good for words. Can't believe it's ending tomorrow. ;-;

Fight in eps 22 underwhelming :(
I thought its pretty classy fight with great demontration of skill for both fighter and pretty good way to undermine Yuuki's motive.. Yuuki had no bt!ad figh

I think the US market has basically been going backwards in recent years. It's pretty sad. It's rather disheartening to see that half of Sentai's upcoming releases are DVD boxsets with no Blu-ray options at all. The fact that they expect those to sell and for there not to be demand for Blu-ray releases of those titles clearly indicates the challenges of the market as well.

Yeah, I've been noticing this lately. It's a real shame that US licensors seem to be getting worse and worse in quality control, especially Sentai but also others as you and ultimatemegax point out. I suppose that's the price paid when the market refuses to pay the price for high-quality releases.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Sakura Trick fin
4ZRSLJOl.jpg

Daw? This is if they took the Sae and Hiro graduation episode and just came out and said they were making out with each other during the off periods. lol

I still feel the same way about the show, inasmuch as I think the show is very much a let down in terms of its "place" as a yuri anime. But given that serious/semi-serious yuri anime clearly doesn't sell, and now that safe yuri anime which takes the basic premise of an all girl show where the leads happen to make out every episode also isn't lighting up the charts, I wonder what this means for the future of the genre. There are a lot of short and medium length yuri books that people could adapt, but if there's no money in it, why would anyone do it?

It's also sad that even though I don't think Sakura Trick is all that ambitious, I'm disappointed that it failed because all that means is that we'll get more KLK-esque lesbians where the characters have absolutely no sexual identity whatsoever and exist only to titillate the male audience. Even a show that I do genuinely like, Yakuindomo, has the token lesbian stalker character.

I hope someone gives it another shot, although I have no idea what approach they could take. I feel like something like Ohana Holoholo might work, but an anime about adults? Noitamina has seemingly given up, so I don't even know who would even think about doing a show like that.

It's all a little depressing to think about anyway.

This is what happens when you use Aoi Hana as standard for judging yuri shows. &#9488;(&#65507;&#12526;&#65507;)&#9484;

Not everything has to be super-serious realistic dorama firehawk12!

Best Student Council still sucks! :p

G Gundam - 1

All righty, lets see what we got here:
1. Badass awesome OP? Check.
2. Guy who's got Kallen's hairdo and is badass outside of a Gundam as well? Check.
3. Awesome finishing move? Check.

Yeah this is definetly gonna be a good ride.

NeonZ

Keroro (flash anime) File 002

So, this was yet another episode that stayed pretty close to the original anime in spite of some different elements (Pantyshots aren't censured this time, apparently). Aki's and Keroro's first meeting even was closer to the original anime version of the events than the manga's, since that makes for a shorter scene.

Some dialogue was tweaked and was different from any of the other versions of the series, and it actually worked well for humor in the final scene. Going by the episode titles, next week should be the last episode that retreads content from the original anime in a similar way, at least for a while, since they're apparently introducing all other platoon members at once.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom