• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter-Spring 2014 Anime |OT3| People incapable of guilt usually do have a good time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gazoinks

oNFjzwL.gif

This is what happened when I watched Bunny Drop, actually.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Toradora Episode 4
This was a interesting episode and scenario. Never thought he actually liked her back.

I remember not being as enamored with Tatami Galaxy as everyone else, especially since the people who disliked Endless Eight liked Tatami Galaxy. I don't know if that put me on the defensive and made me more likely to be biased against the show that I otherwise would have been if I watched it in a vacuum though.

All these years later, I'll still defend Endless Eight until the day I die. I have no strong feelings about Tatami Galaxy either way.

That can be arranged.
QjlD4F1.gif

Nobunaga ZA FOOL 12

Well that solves who will be the Nagamasa of the series. Hooray for historical accuracy!

I think it's going to be interesting if Mitsuhide betrays Nobunaga over Oichi now. That's a very interesting take on the whole Honnoji Temple incident.

I'll just say, if you didn't like Endless Eight...

Oh man. And I was looking forward to watching Haruhi Suzumiya. I didn't like The Tatami Galaxy. Like at all, except for the very few instances of comedy that wasn't overused.

The two aren't really comparable at all in execution.

The Tatami Galaxy has horrendous execution so I fear a lot once I get to endless eight. :/

Yeah. Endless Eight was better.
;)

BURN!

I remember not being as enamored with Tatami Galaxy as everyone else, especially since the people who disliked Endless Eight liked Tatami Galaxy. I don't know if that put me on the defensive and made me more likely to be biased against the show that I otherwise would have been if I watched it in a vacuum though.

All these years later, I'll still defend Endless Eight until the day I die. I have no strong feelings about Tatami Galaxy either way.

I am right there with you firehawk. I honestly don't see why people liked that show. It was repetitious and could've been better had it had half the episodes. I wasn't sure what I watched at first either but I thought I liked it. Then episode 2 happened. Then episode 3 happened. Then episode 4 happened. And so on and so forth.

Oh man. And I was looking forward to watching Haruhi Suzumiya. I didn't like The Tatami Galaxy. Like at all, except for the very few instances of comedy that wasn't overused.

The Tatami Galaxy has horrendous execution so I fear a lot once I get to endless eight. :/

The Endless Eight is a small part that is easily (and best) skipped, don't let it affect your feelings for the rest of the show.

Gazoinks

Gintama 86-87
b40j8eW.gif

Hrrrlg, this arc was tiny, but that only made the feels more concentrated! Oh god the feels. Really good though.

Haibane Renmei 6
Kuu%20with%20Rakka%20trying%20on%20her%20coat.png

Oh crap! Things are happening!

There was quite a bit of foreshadowing to
Ku's Day of Flight
in this episode. I knew
she was going away
. But strangely I wasn't sad about it. I don't know. I wasn't enamored
with Ku
. Well at least I know that this is a thing. However, I feel like I was supposed to be sad about that ending but I'm really not.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I am right there with you firehawk. I honestly don't see why people liked that show. It was repetitious and could've been better had it had half the episodes. I wasn't sure what I watched at first either but I thought I liked it. Then episode 2 happened. Then episode 3 happened. Then episode 4 happened. And so on and so forth.
I appreciate the idea, and of course, as a show you can go back to watch, Tatami Galaxy is infinitely more rewatchable (or watchable after the fact) than Endless Eight. I just found Endless Eight more engaging at the time.

That said, Admiral Woofington, Tatami Galaxy uses it for a different thematic purpose. I'm sure you'll find it much more satisfying once you understand what the show is about.

Soma

I think S2 of Haruhi (and I'm not even talking about Endless Eight here) retroactively lowered my opinion of the series as a whole. Good lord Haruhi herself was an unbelievably despicable character in that last arc. If it wasn't for Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody I would've completely written off that entire season.

Thankfully Disappearance almost made up for that.

jman2050

I'm like the old man who talks about some World Series final from the 1950s because they got to see Joe DiMaggio play and insists that baseball has never been better since then.

If you weren't there, you just don't get it!

But we were there, and we got it all right. It was a cynical cashgrab made as an attempt to salvage what was either mismanagement or last minute changes.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Given that anime airs at 4am and everyone has 1TB/s connections in Japan, I'm going to assume everyone just pirates anyway. lol

It's a joke about the people who get mad when people complain about Sentai quality!

Probably the only people who don't pirate in Japan are hikkis who are in the dark 24/7 and have lost any semblance of a normal human circadian rhythm. Gotta maintain that otaku cred and livepost your impressions on 2ch and twitter!

I think S2 of Haruhi (and I'm not even talking about Endless Eight here) retroactively lowered my opinion of the series as a whole. Good lord Haruhi herself was an unbelievably despicable character in that last arc. If it wasn't for Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody I would've completely written off that entire season.

Thankfully Disappearance almost made up for that.

Pretty much, the movie arc was terrible cause Haruhi was terrible in it.

Endless Eight was the last good arc in Haruhi before the movie.

zeroshiki

Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody and Disappearance justifies the existence of S2. It wasn't good as S1 but goddamn Disappearance was awesome.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
But we were there, and we got it all right. It was a cynical cashgrab made as an attempt to salvage what was either mismanagement or last minute changes.
You hate K-On!! though, so I don't think I can trust you!

DVR.

Also, those comparisons further prove that Osaka > Tokyo.
I dunno, given the various pipelines in place for fansubs, I have to imagine that Japan is ahead of America. And you know that Game of Thrones will be instantly available "online" the moment it finishes airing.

It's a joke about the people who get mad when people complain about Sentai quality!

Probably the only people who don't pirate in Japan are hikkis who are in the dark 24/7 and have lost any semblance of a normal human circadian rhythm. Gotta maintain that otaku cred and livepost your impressions on 2ch and twitter!
If you're one of those crazies who watch pirate niconico streams, it seems like being overseas is the easiest way to be an anime fan and watch stuff live. lol

zeroshiki

I dunno, given the various pipelines in place for fansubs, I have to imagine that Japan is ahead of America. And you know that Game of Thrones will be instantly available "online" the moment it finishes airing.

With the caveat that I have never actually looked for these things, I don't think there's an active subbing scene in Japan(?). They wait until Game of Thrones is dubbed before they watch, I think.

But I liked Rebellion.

That's even worse!

Branduil

Well, DVRs exist in Japan too.

Haibane Renmei 7
Rakka%20sets%20out%20Kuu's%20frog%20figures.png

Wow. If I wasn't sad in the last episode I am now. The opening 1/3 of the episode made me really sad. Especially when
Rakka was carrying on a one sided conversation acting like she was talking to Ku
. And then the
whole black spotted feathers thing
. Seems like as we learn more about the haibane the worse things seem to get.

Gazoinks

Galaxy Express 999 7

A two-parter with a big cliff-hanger? But I was only going to watch one episode!

So this woman knows Maetel! And she has mysterious time powers! And she wants Tetsuro! How exactly is Tetsuro important? He's just a dude. Mysteries. Mysteries that probably won't be answered for a looooooong time.

What... is The Conductor anyway? A Black Mage?

Yes. I'm also probably one of the few defenders of the ending. /shrug

I liked the ending too. They built that ending up from the onset. Honestly if they didn't use
the dying world in some capacity I was going to lose it because then it would've been just a dumb side story with no relevance to the main plot. Plus if anyone deserved a happy ending it was Tomoya. It's not like he forgot everything and the lesson was undone. He remembered what happened and cherished his family more because of it

At least that's how I feel. So it's nice to see another person that appreciates the ending.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Majin Bone Episode 1:

So the Spring Season of Anime officially be upon us and this is one of the first tiles to roll out for us to watch. This episode was alright, it wasn't amazing but it didn't piss me off either. There was a lot of fighting at the beginning that lacked all and any context so I have no idea who anybody was and what they were fighting for and I get the sense that will be doled out as the series progresses. Shockingly the MC has a bit of a personality outside the usual kids shonen stereotypes. Without a doubt the show has been stolen by his paranormal obsessed cousin and also that dog was pure Cajunitor cuteness bait. Anyway, I rather like the visuals and the designs and the colors. They are admittedly simple but they have enough of distinction for me to remember them, which is more then I can say about a ton of other shows. The Bone Fighter mech suits predictably look wonky since it is all CGI. They don't look Nobunaga The Fool terrible but we are also in a post Gundam Build Fighters world as well and these look comparatively bland. Anyway, show was fine enough but I could see myself cutting this quickly depending on how many shows I pick up this season.

CorvoSol

Giant Robo 7

Let me tell you all something about Imagawa shows: you laugh, you cry, you ride the rollercoaster of emotions as you punch unicorns from the sky in sheer mechanical bliss.

And then they end, and if Shin Mazinger Z and Giant Robo are any indication, you don't get to feel closure. Only an intense longing for a more you will never, ever get.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
GitS 2nd Gig 1-26:

Plot was less fascinating than the Laughing Man arc of S1, but competence of execution and higher production values probably puts it somewhere just above S1.

Tachikomas ;~;

The Tatami Galaxy - 02

The first half of the episode was more or less a blur with the majority of its humor being lost on me, something about the way the protagonist goes on these long rants with the super fast dialogue makes me tune out to whatever's going on at the time. It wasn't really until the point where the protagonist thought to come up with the plan to get back at antagonist that the events started to come together and I was able to really connect with what's going on.

The ending segment was definitely interesting though and I'm liking the implication it has for the rest of the series. We're treated with a replaying of events from the previous episode with a slightly different twist influenced by the happenings of episode 2. Though there's definitely a de ja vu type effect being employed it seems that events from the past still persist in the replay as evidenced by the half eaten dessert. Can't say yet what direction they're going to be taking with this but I'm certainly interested.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom