• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter-Spring 2014 Anime |OT3| People incapable of guilt usually do have a good time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jex

tutu>madoka

This is place for discussing opinions. Facts aren't necessary!
Hey guys, I've never watched anime in my entire life and my friend recommended me a thing called Sword Art Online. According to him it's the best show in the universe and I should watch it.

I watched the first 15 minutes and wtf is this? Should I keep going or just put it down?

Looks you need to find a more reliable friend who won't abuse you!

cajunator

Banned
That's life. I'm only watching Tutu as quickly as I am because of Kirby. If Kirby wasn't keeping up I don't think I would at all, haha. Having someone watch something with you is a great motivator, I think.

I know. I usually get a lot of stuff watched when hanging out with my friend here in town. We can marathon several episodes or even a whole series. I get too distracted when Im by myself and I take forever to watch anything.

263.gif

Noragami 2

I don't really have anything to say about this so far, other than that I like the female MC.

edit: shit, From The New World talk. I still have to finish that one.

Shows not out yet and we already have waifu wars. I love it.

Zeppeli

Banned
Hey guys, I've never watched anime in my entire life and my friend recommended me a thing called Sword Art Online. According to him it's the best show in the universe and I should watch it.

I watched the first 15 minutes and wtf is this? Should I keep going or just put it down?
SAO is garbage. Watch Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann to start.

Anyways I am glad I am done with From the New World so I can move on to other anime in my challenges. Still kind of recovering from that episode 21 plot twist. Now that I've slept on it I find it to be an awesome plot twist. Show executed that perfectly.

Anyways... on the road again.

Branduil

Is your friend a writer for kotaku by any chance?

You should get better friends. SAO is Gary Stu fantasy done wrong. If you've never watched anime in your life before, give something like Attack on Titan a try.

I KNOW PEOPLE I KNOW YOU HATE THE SHOW HERE. But you can't deny it has rekindled the interest of many towards anime. Give that a watch ctw0e. If you're still interested in anime afterwards, there's way better shows afterwards.

Or tell us what genres you like and we can give you better recommendations.

SAO is garbage. Watch Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann to start.

I think some of you forget just how anime anime can be. Gurren Lagann has giant tits, skimpy outfits, really cartoony action and a a ridiculous giant robot premise. I've had to guide non-anime watchers plenty of times, you don't start with something like this. You start with something closer to what you can see in western media, then slowly go towards more anime until BOOM. THEY'RE WATCHING OREIMO.

Haha ok, thanks guys :) I know his tastes are pretty fucked in general, he hates good stuff for some reason, but I'm not sure what I can do about it.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm gonna take a look at them.

Is your friend a writer for kotaku by any chance?

Fortunately, no!

Inari Kon Kon Koi Iroha 10 END

Gah. Up until the reunion at the end, the entire episode was terrible. It deviated from the source material so much. Not sure what was up with that. There's an ova coming, but hopefully a season 2 as well. Great series with a sad ending.

Defuser

Tokyo Ravens ep23
Ohtomo sensei stahp, you are getting too badass, too stronk. Literally wiped the floor with kagami. Ohotomo = Sejirou Hiko.

What was this show protagainst again? Harutora or Ohtomo and Friends show?

cajunator

Banned

Friends dont let friends watch SAO.

Gazoinks

You should get better friends. SAO is Gary Stu fantasy done wrong. If you've never watched anime in your life before, give something like Attack on Titan a try.

I KNOW PEOPLE I KNOW YOU HATE THE SHOW HERE. But you can't deny it has rekindled the interest of many towards anime. Give that a watch ctw0e. If you're still interested in anime afterwards, there's way better shows afterwards.

I think some of you forget just how anime anime can be. Gurren Lagann has giant tits, skimpy outfits, really cartoony action and a a ridiculous giant robot premise. I've had to guide non-anime watchers plenty of times, you don't start with something like this. You start with something closer to what you can see in western media, then slowly go towards more anime until BOOM. THEY'RE WATCHING OREIMO.

Baccano was the show that got me back into anime. Good dub, not beholden to too many tropes, accessible setting, and just plain good.

I should get around to watching AoT at some point so I can at least understand what everyone's talking about.

JoeFu

Banned
hahahahahah I'm still mad at my cousin for making me watch SAO.

But yeah I think Attack on Titan is a good starting anime. Few of my friends who haven't watched anime in forever really liked it.

CorvoSol

Princess Corvo 19

Being Princess Corvo is suffering.

Hilary Haag in a show with Chris Patton, Luci Christian, and Mike Kleinheinz. Get Mao and Kurz and it'll be a voice cast reunion.

Dr. Hell is a God-Tier Troll.

The more these little girls want Mewtwo's dick the more I begin to wonder if he has one.

Is memory loss another side effect of watching too much Inuyasha/Bleach/Naruto? :(

Haha. Those anime did mess me up pretty bad. :p

I read all of that and I still don't fully understand your opinion, to be honest, other than you wanted the story to do things it didn't.

I am sorry. I actually really wanted to like it. It just never clicked with me. Maybe the other anime you challenged me to will click better.

After his impressions of FTNW, Imma just post a list of shows I want PhsychoNinja to see.

Madoka Magica
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
(Madoka first, then TTGL)
Code Geass R1 and R2
Nanoha and Nanoha As.
Kinos Journey
School Days (MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA)
Samurai Flamenco(AHAHAHAHAHAHA)

PM me the list and whenever I do another challenge or get time I will chose something from here.

Branduil

Haha ok, thanks guys :) I know his tastes are pretty fucked in general, he hates good stuff for some reason, but I'm not sure what I can do about it.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm gonna take a look at them.

If he considers SAO the pinnacle of anime, he's probably too far gone for you to help. Unless he's like 15 or something, then he might just grow out of it.

Zeppeli

Banned
Next time it's by director Megane.
Ataru needs to make more movies

Giant tits and skimpy outfits aren't exactly exclusive to anime. I think TTGL is a decent anime to start with
considering it's the GOAT

Link Man

Banned

Isn't this the show with bondage and near-rape?

Or is that not specific enough?

CorvoSol

Also, while Neko Sensei is the best character this annoying brat with the drum could die a horrible, violent, painful death and I would only be mildly satisfied with that.

"Bottom the Donkey" is the worst pun.

Midonin

Witch Craft Works 11

Intense episode. The battle of the giant bears, and Kagari's battle with Weekend, were both pretty exciting. Tanpopo and friends were kind of unceremoniously whisked away from the action, but I get the feeling they'll still get a line or two somewhere in the finale. The flashbacks were also kind of cool, especially the very first one. The beginning of a beautiful yuri friendship.

Also, while Neko Sensei is the best character this annoying brat with the drum could die a horrible, violent, painful death and I would only be mildly satisfied with that.

"Bottom the Donkey" is the worst pun.

If somebody disagrees about Neko Sensei's best character status..... I'LL HAVE THEM MARRY ME.

*cat noises*

sonicmj1

I don't think your friend has your best interests at heart, and he may be trying to actively hurt you. Try to avoid contact with him. If contact is unavoidable, don't make any sudden moves or loud noises; just nod, speak in a calm, even tone, and back away slowly.

Cowboy Bebop is always a safe recommendation for people new to anime, though the suggestion of Baccano is also one I'd support.

I don't think your friend has your best interests at heart, and he may be trying to actively hurt you. Try to avoid contact with him. If contact is unavoidable, don't make any sudden moves or loud noises; just nod, speak in a calm, even tone, and back away slowly.

Cowboy Bebop is always a safe recommendation for people new to anime, though the suggestion of Baccano is also one I'd support.

Cowboy Bebop and Baccano are great recommendations but it depends on the person. Personally those two are part of my top 10 anime, with CB being my #1. But some people just want hardcore action.

Theonik taught me that being funny requires more than one joke.

Therefore, Neko-Sensei is the most unfunny character in anime.

That would be true if he were part of the main cast. But he's not. He's a side character that appears, says his line, then leaves.

Tokyo Ravens ep23
Ohtomo sensei stahp, you are getting too badass, too stronk. Literally wiped the floor with kagami. Ohotomo = Sejirou Hiko.

What was this show protagainst again? Harutora or Ohtomo and Friends show?

Shadow is just too good...
Bakatora once unnerfed better do something similar.

CorvoSol

Can the Raven just get someone's heart already so we can move the fuck on with this plot? 45 episodes of the Dinosaur Empire failing to break the Getter Barrier are only made worse by the knowledge that in the 46th they will.

PM me the list and whenever I do another challenge or get time I will chose something from here.

Well to be perfectly honest, half the shows I'd like for you to see would just for your inevitable hilarious reactions. If I had to choose two great shows out of all of them for you to watch, it would honestly be Madoka Magica, Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, and Kino's Journey.

Those three are legitimately amazing shows that I think you should see if you're recommending something you think is legitimately good.

So if I had to pick three, it would be those, as all of them together equal to 52 episodes in total if you recommend a show that's just as long.

But yeah I'll PM you the list.

Cowboy Bebop I've had suggested to me several times, but I've completely forgotten about it. Thanks!

Cut contact with your friend and go watch Kyousougiga or something (or anything).

Why is no one recommending this guy FMA. That's how I got most my friends and brother into anime.

FMAB can be used as a second or third anime to watch as it introduced people to anime humor/faces but still has a great and universal appeal to its plot. It also introduced you to anime's obsession with lolis.

Get new friends

cajunator

Banned
Well to be perfectly honest, half the shows I'd like for you to see would just for your inevitable hilarious reactions. If I had to choose two great shows out of all of them for you to watch, it would honestly be Madoka Magica, Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, and Kino's Journey.

Those three are legitimately amazing shows that I think you should see if you're recommending something you think is legitimately good.

So if I had to pick three, it would be those, as all of them together equal to 52 episodes in total if you recommend a show that's just as long.

But yeah I'll PM you the list.

It makes me so happy to see this becoming a new trend.

CorvoSol

The Melody of Oblivion 13

One time I had all four of my wisdom teeth removed at the same time. I was awake during this experience, and the anesthetic only had a pain-minimizing effect on me. During that agony, I watched as the dentists opened my mouth, inserted needles, saws, and even what appeared to be a screwdriver to chip out, cut out, smash to bits and yank out these four teeth. Before I could reach the pharmacy the anesthetic wore off entirely and my skull felt like it was going to split into two. I spent weeks with gauze in my mouth as the wounds slowly healed and the taste of blood bittered all my food.

That was so much better an experience than this show.

Watching Melody of Oblivion is like being constipated. You strain and you squeeze and you push and you sweat and you hope to God that something comes out of all this, only for nothing but shit to come out in the end.

The show is so lazy. I mean, the area where the bull legs connect to the jeep is blackened out so that nobody had to bother animating it. It's character designs are the worst in any anime I have ever seen. The dialogue has no meaning. Events occur without any actual background to them. For instance, in this episode Bocca meets some kid in a Demon's Domain and takes him to Korofune and is all "He was going to be sacrificed to the monster!" WHEN DID WE EVEN LEARN THIS SHIT? And now Korofune's like "I've been in this domain for decades!" and I'm like "Weren't you just in Bocca's home town? And hasn't that only been a year?"

Gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah

If you thought wtf after 15 minutes then you NEED to keep watching it :)

cajunator

Banned
The Melody of Oblivion 13

One time I had all four of my wisdom teeth removed at the same time. I was awake during this experience, and the anesthetic only had a pain-minimizing effect on me. During that agony, I watched as the dentists opened my mouth, inserted needles, saws, and even what appeared to be a screwdriver to chip out, cut out, smash to bits and yank out these four teeth. Before I could reach the pharmacy the anesthetic wore off entirely and my skull felt like it was going to split into two. I spent weeks with gauze in my mouth as the wounds slowly healed and the taste of blood bittered all my food.

That was so much better an experience than this show.

Watching Melody of Oblivion is like being constipated. You strain and you squeeze and you push and you sweat and you hope to God that something comes out of all this, only for nothing but shit to come out in the end.

:D

Jex

But yeah I think Attack on Titan is a good starting anime. Few of my friends who haven't watched anime in forever really liked it.

Why is no one recommending this guy FMA. That's how I got most my friends and brother into anime.

Well, I wouldn't really recommend either of these shows. Not because they're bad (well Attack on Titan has a lot of problems so that is part of it) but because there are literally so many other, better choices for shows with a wide appeal that are of a much higher quality e.g. Cowboy Bebop. FMA is also far too long for a beginners series.

Someone recommended Attack on Titan to a friend of mine (no one here but...)

It didn't help him get back into anime. It had things he wasn't fond of, even though there were aspects he like.

I really doubt the capabilities of AoT.

CorvoSol

When I finally finish up FMP I plan to at least start that. I cant resist Aila. I just cant.

I forget. How much Gundam have you seen? I think GBF is probably great without knowing anything about Gundam, but I couldn't say for sure.

Is there anyone in the thread who is watching GBF who's never seen any Gundam who could comment?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom