• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter-Spring 2014 Anime |OT3| People incapable of guilt usually do have a good time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because it's one thing to say that an anime that began in Winter 2013 was AOTY 2014. It's another thing to say a show that began in, I dunno, 1998 was AOTY 2014.

Why? If you are only judging by episodes that aired in that year, there is no difference. Honestly shows that started the previous Winter are far more troublesome when it comes to voting.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
We should ask firehawk12 what obscure monthly OVA he's watching now so we can find out what we'll all be watching in December.
lol
I wish some secret anime pops up, if only because we're one season and there really hasn't been anything particularly outstanding so far. Maybe Otona Joshi no Anime Time will happen again this year and people will finally watch it!

NCIS New Orleans
Oh boy.

I dono about you guys but I'm voting for Sazae-san this year.
It was already AOTC!

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I'm waiting until December to begin pimping Happiness Charge as our severely underwatched savior from [x popular show]. It's a proven, effective tactic.

Syrinx

Magical Girl Pretty Sammy TV 4

P.E. Girl wasn't as entertaining as Comic Girl from last episode. Like how she tried to crush Sammy with her vault horse leg only to remember that they're hollow, though. Anyway, Misa continues to be awesome. Thought she'd go in a little harder on that one bitch girl than she did though.

Also a tad disappointed that I didn't see Ramia's punishment for Rumiya. I've come to look forward to those.

1. AnineGAF cabal choice
2. JoJo
3. well-directed, well-produced show with a few vocal detractors
4. Space Dandy because ToonamiGAF
5. a show that unexpectedly reaches several thousand posts in an OT thread, maybe Sailor Moon Crystal
6. something with broad entertainment appeal that's technically average
7. KLK
8. Hunter x Hunter
9. well-directed, well-produced show that wasn't watched by enough people
10. disgusting otaku show that will embarrass everyone by its presence in the list
If the AnimeGAF cabal doesn't make Mushishi number one I will be sorely disappointed.

Syrinx

Really I made way more posts in this thread than I wanted to at the start. Was kinda set on not making the wall of shame, but I'm already there and then some.

Dresden

noragami - 10

it was alright, some wonky art, picked up as it went, okay stuff

thing to take away is how lousy the situation is for regalias

noragami - 11

Really good. From the intro to the action to the interwoven exposition/revelations, leading all the way to the bitter end. This is one of the best episodes of animu I've seen all year.

You're already there in our collective heart.

You're on several w/halls of shame already!

Quite the lofty goal.

lDI0YhG.jpg

neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee~

Really I made way more posts in this thread than I wanted to at the start. Was kinda set on not making the wall of shame, but I'm already there and then some.

I was afraid I wasn't gonna make the wall of shame since this was supposed to be a short thread.

Because it's one thing to say that an anime that began in Winter 2013 was AOTY 2014. It's another thing to say a show that began in, I dunno, 1998 was AOTY 2014.

I suppose it wouldn't be fair to just have Detective Conan win every year.

But it would be completely deserved if it did.

Crocodile

Is Mushishi really that great, been hearing great things about it.

It's very episodic (I dunno if you're one of those types that want strong, connected narratives) and can range anywhere from somber/cheerful to sad/scary but I feel its the type of anime most people would enjoy. Great show. Basically about the escapades of a dude who tries to help others with their problems/encounters with the supernatural and encounters with mystical creatures.

Wait what's the wall of shame?

# of posts people have in a thread or specifcally, after a thread is complete, we go over the post totals per person and post the top (first 20) of the standings. If you make the wall, you're probably watching too much anime and should go outside #Kappa

Narag

# of posts people have in a thread or specifcally, after a thread is complete, we go over the post totals per person and post the top (first 20) of the standings. If you make the wall, you're probably watching too much anime and should go outside #Kappa

Think it's actually everyone with over a 100 posts. What could people have to talk about!?

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Selector Infected WIXOSS - 01

This was rather boring, surprisingly. Not really interested in the female lead, and her friend is borderline unbearable with her
obvious as hell love for her twin brother
. Not really sure if I want to put myself through this. Will place it on hold and see what others think of the following episodes.

If theirs one anime that mindfucked me it would be SAO, like how the heck did it go from a good first season to a shitty second season like seriously. I guess it's one of life's greatest mysteries.

BluWacky

Can I get a translation of this?

I'm going to kill myself when I discover there's a proper translation elsewhere, but the only one I could find was only half-done, so...
(I understand that Pioneer used Franglais instead of Engrish, but that would take more effort than this has already taken so I don't think I can face tidying up the translation to match...)

I'm an amazing magical girl!
The one who'll do anything - a magical girl!
Called... called... PIXY MISA!!!! FUUUUN!!
If I wave the magical stick wildly
It'll always be MAGICAL SHOWTIME! SHOWTIME!!
I'll show my rival Sammy who's boss
I'll shout "You Win!" through victory and guts!
The one who'll do anything - a magical girl!
Called... called... PIXY MISA!!!! PIXY MISA!!!!!

Cute, lyrical, smiley and happy
From today they got a whole new refurb!
Playing jump-rope or doing whatever
I'll mark 'em all with a bad girl's badge!

Destroying Mt Fuji, swimming in a pool
Jack-knifing while I ride a bike!
Spinning a yo-yo or spinning the earth,
I'll make it a bad girl's world!

Time's restraints are worth absolutely nothing
People's problems are worth absolutely nothing
Leave all thoughts of the past behind
That is Misa's way of life!

I am a courageous magical girl!
Curry-just to go, too, a magical girl! (*bad attempt at pun translation, sorry!)
The delicious... delicious... PIXY MISA!!! FUUUUN!!!
Whack in some magical spice,
Now we're off to India - let's go, let's go!
I'll send Pretty Sammy flying with a kick
Then ask, mid-unfair fight, "How was your meal, ma'am???"

I am a courageous magical girl!
A wonderful and cutesy magical girl!
Trendy and with-it... PIXY MISA! PIXY MISA!
The orders on my cellphone are all okay
It's probably Mission: Impossible
I'll summon up a Love-Love Monster
And make a Sexy Space!

Tricking a politician, causing a revolution
I love "Japan Sinks"! (* famous disaster novel)
I'll glare sidelong at Sammy when she's worried
And dance the bad girl's dance!

Time's restraints are worth absolutely nothing
People's problems are worth absolutely nothing
Doing whatever I want is good
That is Misa's way of life!

I am a lovely magical girl!
I'll show you my belly button - a magical girl!
Burning, burning... PIXY MISA!!!!! FUUUUN! heywhatareyoulookingat
Pouring out the magical pheromones
It'll be a punch-drunk love KNOCKDOWN KNOCKDOWN
Since my rival, Sammy, is just a kid
She's totally flat chested, so "Come back later!"
I am a lovely magical girl!
The one who'll be a cover girl, a magical girl!
Burning, burning... PIXY MISA! PIXY MISA!

I kept you waiting, but now - BLAMMO! - a magical girl!
Called... called...
PIXY MISA! PIXY MISA!
PIXY MISA! PIXY MISA!

At least, it's something ridiculous like that.

CorvoSol

Erītosukuwaddo 2: Teki wa mōhitotsu aru

C0pRA0b.jpg

Erītosukuwaddo 2: Teki wa mōhitotsu aru is the riveting sequel to Erītosukuwaddo, the tale of Senchō Nascimento, who lives in Rio De Janeiro, Rio De Janeiro, Burajiru. This time, Senchō Nascimento, now Taisa Nascimento, is removed from his seat of power in the BOPE and taken off the front lines after a riot in a prison goes horribly out of control. The film follows Taisa Nascimento's rise to power within the Secretariat of Security of the State of Rio De Janeiro and how the system he builds, the war machine he designs to clean the city once and for all, is coopted and turned into a mafia by the Policia Militar.

The movie is notable because Taisa Nascimento is simultaneously almost idealized Burajiruhito hero and a classical anti-hero. The classical Burajiruhito hero is best typified by Martim from Jose Alencar's Iracema: Ceara no Densetsu. Like Martim, Taisa Nascimento is a handsome, intelligent warrior capable of both prowess and moments of surprising sensitivity, as befits the concept of machismo (which, it should be noted, is still inferior to bushido). Taisa Nascimento is almost a hero ripped from an Amerikan action movie. The purpose of this, however, is to subvert the entire concept and really stress that Taisa Nascimento is an anti-hero. His waifu has left him for a bitter foe, his son fears him, his friends have all distanced themselves from him, and his war against the drug lords who rule half the city has consumed every aspect of his life in spite of an increasing lack of meaning.

Where Erītosukuwaddo 2: Teki wa mōhitotsu aru really shines is in its depiction of an issue which is highly relevant to the Burajiruhito populous. Nascimento himself holds a very strict, conservative, and militaristic view of the situation: the drug lords are monsters and the only way to save the city is to put bullets into them. His foil for much of the film, Jōin giin Fraga (the man who stole his waifu), holds the opposing view that criminals can be reformed and that prison and execution are not the only solutions. The audience is left to decide which is truly best for their nation. The issue of firearms, narcotics and human trafficking is one of importance to people across the whole of Minami Amerika and not just Burajiru, and the film takes great pains to show it in an entirely human light. Numerous times the BOPE heishi are depicted in positions of power over the drug lords, and not always in a heroic light. At times the drug lord's minions are no more than hopeless teenagers, and there is no appeal in seeing men in body armor gun down boys in tank tops. No expense is spared in depicting the brutal realities of the situation, as corpses have teeth plucked out, criminals and politicians are beaten into bloody pulps, and soldiers and civilians alike die from gunshot wounds.

Over the course of this delightful cinematic work, Taisa Nascimento's character undergoes several key character developments. Where at the beginning he is somewhat naive and he views the conflict in terms of soldiers and drug dealing monsters, he comes to see that the system itself is flawed and in need of revision. He begins a cold, but violent man, but demonstrates greater warmth and care by the film's end. Though he tells us he loathes Fraga's guts, a sort of mutual respect develops between the two, turning them, if not nakama, then allies in their fight.

To me, the most telling moments of the film are when, at first, Taisa Nascimento tells us that in spite of looking like an Amerikan action flick, the events are very real to him (underlining the concept that the audience is not meant to idolize him, nor romanticize the conflict through which he passes) and at the end, when a panning shot of the Daitōryō kyūden, the seat of the nation's government, is accompanied by Nascimento's scathing: "And now answer me this: who do you think finances all of this?" Sealing the film's central point: that the enemy of peace is not simply criminals, but the system that creates, harbors, and profits from them. The nuanced approaches to these two points and the unflinching dedication to demonstrate that real endings are at best bittersweet is what makes Erītosukuwaddo 2: Teki wa mōhitotsu aru a stellar sequel and a triumph of Burajiruhito cinema.

Syrinx

I'm going to kill myself when I discover there's a proper translation elsewhere, but the only one I could find was only half-done, so...

At least, it's something ridiculous like that.

You're gonna kill yourself anyway...Hito already PM'd me a translation.

Thanks anyway doe.

E: And thank you too Hito.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
BluWacky: "Tsurupeta" is more akin to "pedobait" than "flat-chested". She then goes "boyon de" as in showing off what Sammy doesn't have.

BluWacky

BluWacky: "Tsurupeta" is more akin to "pedobait" than "flat-chested".

I thought it was out-dated slang that I remembered vaguely from 10 years ago but couldn't find a good way of checking it. Thanks for confirming though - my Nihongo-fu is weak.

Anyway, off to kill myself now as you already had a translation :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom