• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter-Spring 2014 Anime |OT3| People incapable of guilt usually do have a good time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mature

Blade & Soul Episode 1:

I like how people are making out that only modern Gonzo is sucking the big meat missile. Okay, yea, this is pretty generic all around, generic arc, generic visuals, generic characters, generic battles, just fifty shades of blandness. That being said, it is still better then any given episode of Samurai Seven or Final Fantasy Unlimited or Blue Submarine Number 6 mainly because it lacks Gonzo's god awful CGI. Anyway, yea as I expected this is pretty much Sword Art Online: Ikki Tousen Edition and yea there were a lot of guys here but I think they solely exist to be canon fodder.When does Jojo start because I need some legit good show watching soon.
Blue Sub 6 was good despite it's CG.

Quasar

See the difference between Mahouka and SAO is that Kirito is a shitty protagonist while Tatsuya actually seems badass. Oh yeah people who are thinking it has incest are gonna be disappointed because it doesn't, even though I haven't read the LN, many people who have said it doesn't have it. So don't ever try to compare crap like SAO to this anime.

Well given what I've read I thought it was much worse, especially the brother.

Bokura wa Minna Kawaisou 1

The characters in this are pretty obnoxious. I can't say I enjoyed this episode, but I'll give it some more time to see if it settles down. Right now it feels like a poor man's Sakurasou.

I like how people are making out that only modern Gonzo is sucking the big meat missile.
I'm not sure anyone made that case. Gonzo just used to be able to produce a good show every now and then despite being Gonzo. Not so much anymore.

The Kawai Complex Guide to Manors and Hostel Behavior Bokura wa Minna Kawaisou 01

hiOCNfO.jpg
E8zFJyf.jpg

Gotta say that was an enjoyable first episode. I liked the high energy of it, the silly overreactions and style changes it had going. The characters are pretty interesting while they do feel like character tropes they work well together and I wouldn't mind seeing where this goes.

I really liked the OP too so that's aplus.

cajunator

Banned
Nagi no Asukara - 26

A nice little finale though nothing really groundshaking. Miuna
unfortunatly ends up with no one but it may work out in her favor because she deserves better than Hikari anyway.

IN OTHER NEWS, just finished the first 13 episodes of Kokoro Connect and will soon be on way to finish the last 4/OVAs.

Episode 3

Gai: Friend-kun, I think I like this girl, and I think she likes me.

Lee: Why don't you talk to her.

Gai: Alright.

[Later]

Gai: We're dating now

Lee: Cool

Gai dated the girl for the next couple of months before they drifted apart and started seeing other people. Cue ED.

This needs to happen now. Worst comes to worst to spice it up for an anime we can add a dinosaur student who plays a ukulele.

cajunator

Banned
I'm waiting until December to begin pimping Happiness Charge as our severely underwatched savior from [x popular show]. It's a proven, effective tactic.

But what if it falls apart and you just loathe it by then?

Wait what's the wall of shame?

A wall of dreams.

If theirs one anime that mindfucked me it would be SAO, like how the heck did it go from a good first season to a shitty second season like seriously. I guess it's one of life's greatest mysteries.

It was so awful I just couldnt bear going any further than 14. It was painful. And not LIST painful.

It's horrifying but not surprising that they have a word for this.

Dude, they have a word for THIS:
vjw76F9.jpg

Episode 3

Gai: Friend-kun, I think I like this girl, and I think she likes me.

Lee: Why don't you talk to her.

Gai: Alright.

[Later]

Gai: We're dating now

Lee: Cool

Gai dated the girl for the next couple of months before they drifted apart and started seeing other people. Cue ED.

Episode 4

Gai: Friend-kun, midterms are coming up so we should be studying

Lee: I AGREE

Gai: Why are you yelling?

Lee: BECAUSE THE BAND IS PRETTY LOUD

Gai and Lee walk to the library and study for a while. Cue ED. To Be Countinued

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Make sure you save all the good backgrounds so I don't have to watch it.

That's what I did for Sengoku Collection until I made the shocking discovery that it wasn't actually bad.

Actual opinion on WIXOSS:

KViN on twitter described it as a mix of Yu-Gi-Oh, Fantasista Doll, and GeneiTaiyo, and, as hopefully the only person here who's seen enough of all three to know what this means, I assure everyone that it is a terrifying assertion to make. It's also shockingly accurate, however at least for now only in a mechanical and vaguely thematic sense, lacking the specific incompetencies that made Fantasista and GeneiTaiyo so horrible.

Yes, like Fantasista, there is a girl who suddenly comes into the possession of virtual girls in freaky anime clothing that she must battle against other virtual girls belonging to other girls. Like GeneiTaiyo, it's grimdark with an alternate world full of floating gears and shit where battles transpire. I guess kind of like a fusion of Yu-Gi-Oh!'s Duelist Kingdom and Battle City arcs, there's a gigantic elimination tournament engulfing an entire urban area with an incredible prize promised to the winner. In execution, I actually didn't think that it was all that bad, though. The protagonist is sympathetic--she lives with her grandmother in a little apartment and uses the titular WIXOSS card game to socialize with other people after finding out that her grandmother is worried that she's not making friends--and it avoids most immediate melodramatic excesses in spite of the fact that it is undeniably building to something darker. Maybe I'm crazy but I kind of felt like some of the backgrounds and scene framing succeeded at making Rumi appear "isolated" toward the beginning of the episode.

The big problem is that everything involving the actual card game is poorly-explained and weeb as fuck--the cards themselves are virtual moe girls who fight on an alternate plane and the protagonist's card girl in particular is psychologically somewhere between a kitten and a toddler. It remains to be seen just how grating this aspect ends up being, especially if they continue to gloss over or outright bullshit the game mechanics.

Oh, yeah, almost forgot--the protagonist's rival in the card game might want to fuck her brother. Because this is an average anime in the year 2014.

cajunator

Banned
Record of Lodoss War 6

wbWB4Er.gif

7dAhz03.gif

elf fetishist.

Just watch Strike Witches instead.

Heed this wise mans words.

They say I need the blu-ray to be able to watch the real Strike Witches

nani sore

w-w-w-wonzo???!?!???!!?!?!?

Yes, get the blurays. worth every penny.

. . . I still think Gonzo put out SOME good stuff back in the day. FMP S1 and Gankutsuo were good, even if Glass Fleet is traaaaaaaaaaaaaaash

Shangri La!!
Also Saikano and Chrono Crusade if you can deal with crippling depression.

Selector Infected WIXOSS 1

This reminds me a lot of Black Rock Shooter TV. I think I'll wait for others to suffer through this and tell me what parts of it I need to see.

Oh man. those are BIG WORDS. If only it can live up to that!

selector infected WIXOSS 01

PABLO POWER
PABLO POWER
PABLO POWER
PABLO POWER
PABLO POWER

Gorgeous. At least if it sucks it will be pretty.

Colored eyebrows brah.

Thought it was colored eyelashes?

I just have to finish Haibane Renmei before I start but I haven't been able to watch it because the hotel I am staying in has crap internet that pauses the video every 5 seconds after 10 minutes of buffering. That's no way to watch anime.

Episode 4

Gai: Friend-kun, midterms are coming up so we should be studying

Lee: I AGREE

Gai: Why are you yelling?

Lee: BECAUSE THE BAND IS PRETTY LOUD

Gai and Lee walk to the library and study for a while. Cue ED. To Be Countinued

Episode 5

Lee: Hey Normal-kun, how come everytime somebody asks about your parents you get really quiet and a look of despair comes unto your face? Do you have a really sad backstory like dead parents or sexual abuse or domestic violence?

Gai: No. I just remembered that I had to go grocery shopping earlier today and forgot. Mom is going to kill me.

Lee accompanied Gai to the grocery store and back to his house. He met his parents. They were lovely and made him feel right at home. CUE ED

Actual opinion on WIXOSS:

KViN on twitter described it as a mix of Yu-Gi-Oh, Fantasista Doll, and GeneiTaiyo, and, as hopefully the only person here who's seen enough of all three to know what this means, I assure everyone that it is a terrifying assertion to make.
Well I've got 2/3 of those three shows down. And while I can't speak to the Yu-Gi-Oh part, the rest of the comparison works. Though you seem to have liked the episode far more than i did.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
The Kawai Complex Guide to Manors and Hostel Behavior Episode 1

Right, this was better then the last couple of shows but I am not sold on mainly because I can't stand a few of the characters here. One episode out and I already want to throw Mayumi into a wood chipper. I have known people like her in real life who were really fucking obnoxious drunks and I hate those people for they are awful. Also, not feeling the main romance here, probably because Usa comes across as more of a creepy stalker then a bumbling but lovable suitor. Really the show is being make by Sumiko who is straddling that difficult lovable pervert tightrope rather well and Shirosaki who might just be one of the best old lady characters ever. Alos, I am half convinced that Kawaki is either a lesbian, a robot or both based on her lack of a personality expect around females, given this is anime I would not be shocked to learn if that was indeed the case. Five shows in and Majin Bone is still the best of the lot, that was unexpected.

cajunator

Banned
The Kawai Complex Guide to Manors and Hostel Behavior Bokura wa Minna Kawaisou 01

Gotta say that was an enjoyable first episode. I liked the high energy of it, the silly overreactions and style changes it had going. The characters are pretty interesting while they do feel like character tropes they work well together and I wouldn't mind seeing where this goes.

I really liked the OP too so that's aplus.

I hate having to remember these long names. Luckily Otaku are lazy so theres usually a nickname.

Smile is the best Precure. :(

Artwise I would say so. I loooooove those eyes.

I just have to finish Haibane Renmei before I start but I haven't been able to watch it because the hotel I am staying in has crap internet that pauses the video every 5 seconds after 10 minutes of buffering. That's no way to watch anime.

Yes make that your number one priority.

CorvoSol

Zeta Gundam 20

So I have to say that I enjoyed this arc a lot the second time around. Kamille does some growing up, Amuro matters in a way that isn't forced, and Four is as good as Tomino writing a messed up woman can expect to be. Especially because Four and Kamille have actual chemistry, and because Four's character is decidedly not determined by her need for dick.

On that note, Beltorchika Irma is the Carlie Cooper of Gundam women and I hate her SO much.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Mental note: if I ever want to catch madp in the future all I have to do is bait a mousetrap with good background art.

I have my limits. Pablo did Brothers Conflict too and Ikuhara storyboarded the ED and I only survived a single episode.

Colored eyebrows brah.

Also not a slam dunk. Nafe once convinced me to watch Yuushibu cuz of the eyebrows and I lasted six minutes.

Do I need to watch this show now? Is it better than Smile? Is there anyone with Fukui-ben?!

At the very least you'll probably appreciate how freeform and subversive it is compared to the other seasons you've watched, and if you liked Brian you'll love Seiji. Also it's loaded with social anxiety. LOADED. lol

But what if it falls apart and you just loathe it by then?

Not likely. The whole thing is basically Toei's mea culpa for Doki. I feel like there's a clear plan this season.

Gazoinks

AnimeGAF mostly dislikes the source material, the adaptation isn't bad given what they are working with.

I'm not familiar with the manga, but I got this impression just from the bit I watched. It was executed pretty well considering what they had, and it was a solid romcom at times, but I really couldn't stand the whole keys setup, and I knew it wouldn't go away so it didn't really feel worth it to me to keep watching.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Well I've got 2/3 of those three shows down. And while I can't speak to the Yu-Gi-Oh part, the rest of the comparison works. Though you seem to have liked the episode far more than i did.

The thing is, I'm much more forgiving of some of the stuff because I unironically love Yu-Gi-Oh so I'm kind of predisposed to liking card battle shows to begin with. Like I said, parts of the episode were suparbad but I also feel like there's still enough struggling against that that I'll keep watching, at least for now. If it ever sets off any real Fantasista alarms with me I won't even need to think about jumping ship.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
At the very least you'll probably appreciate how freeform and subversive it is compared to the other seasons you've watched, and if you liked Brian you'll love Seiji. Also it's loaded with social anxiety. LOADED. lol
Is he Tuxedo Mask?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom