• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter-Spring 2014 Anime |OT3| People incapable of guilt usually do have a good time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lodoss is a generic DnD ripoff. The qualifier of "in the east" is completely meaningless given its inspiration. The story and characters wouldn't even qualify for a bad Dragonlance novel. It's bog standard fantasy and was even in the early 90s. It's about as original as the next incest themed LN.

Seems unfair to attack it for being a DnD ripoff when the original material was based on a groups DnD sessions.

Ryuuroden

Zeta Gundam 20

So I have to say that I enjoyed this arc a lot the second time around. Kamille does some growing up, Amuro matters in a way that isn't forced, and Four is as good as Tomino writing a messed up woman can expect to be. Especially because Four and Kamille have actual chemistry, and because Four's character is decidedly not determined by her need for dick.

On that note, Beltorchika Irma is the Carlie Cooper of Gundam women and I hate her SO much.

Have you seen victory gundam? Katejina loos is the Dio Brando of gundam. Her and Dio should get together to kick puppies.

Seems unfair to attack it for being a DnD ripoff when the original material where based on a groups DnD sessions.
I was responding to the idea that it was a genre defining title and probably came off too strongly. Lodoss is what it is and doesn't hide its inspiration. It's a generic DnD campaign, and that's fine.

One more day to go with the best wallpaper saved for last. Tomorrow is going to be amazing if Crunchyroll announces Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei with no delay.
BkXV4vaCIAEQwYH.jpg:large

Yeah man,can't wait the worst LN ever being animated

With the competition that already exists in that area?

Even Mahou Sensou is better-it sucks but at least it's laughable,but Mahouka just "hurrdurr a enime show up" and then few pages later "hurrdurr MC(or his friends) just beat him" then spend 5000 words why MC(or his friends) is so powerful then repeat

Articalys

This year's AOTY is the new movie of Guilty Crown with extra incestuous elements, animated by NeoGainax with an original story by Reki Kawahara. Half of AnimeGAF will ragequit over this result.
Wow, that would be an actual possibility with that kind of result.

duckroll

Why? Because bad people have bad taste? This isn't a new phenomenon.

Sidonia looks really, really good. Anyone who can't look past it being "CG" just has a preference hang up really. Animation is animation. Also, if you're a fan of Urobuchi, you really have no place talking about "bad people having bad taste" because tons of people would use that against you too. :p

Jarmel

Banned
Sidonia looks really, really good. Anyone who can't look past it being "CG" just has a preference hang up really. Animation is animation.

The art direction looks really bad and the character motions/animations looks even worse. On a visual level there is nothing appetizing, which is sort of a shame as the writing stuff is kinda interesting.

duckroll

The art direction looks really bad and the character motions/animations looks even worse. On a visual level there is nothing appetizing, which is sort of a shame as the writing stuff is kinda interesting.

Nah, I think it looks fantastic. Great camera work, amazing sets, and the characters look pretty good. It's a bit doll-like, but that's just how CG animation looks with human characters. More of a matter of style than anything else. Everything about it looks fantastic to me. You're free to disagree, but trying to make it sound like other people are wrong is a bad way to start a debate.

DiGiKerot

Don't know if I'm LTTP on this but I just checked out the Katyusha song from the Sentai dub of GuP

uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Sentai what are you doing

I want to arrange falling blocks now.

It's the same on the Japanese track. Honestly, I'm going to have to imagine that Sentai didn't have much choice in the matter - someone has actually gone in and completely recomposited that scene, not just to remove the lip-flaps, but to alter and retime camera movements so that it works better without people singing. I've got to imagine that was done at source in Japan, given the work involved there, and it wouldn't really surprise me if the music came from there too.

Bare in mind that even the version streamed in Crunchyroll, without that scene at all, looks to have been a decision made in Japan - the ending credits for the episode had been changed to reflect the difference in the two versions.

Mange reader here. I dropped it because the writing. Really stunted narration and development. I hope the anime is better...

Gbraga

In my case, CGI just takes a while to get used to. I still don't really like it, but I don't mind after a while. A friend of mine couldn't get into Kakurenbo because of the CG, he said it was really bad, but I didn't really mind, I liked that anime.

Mange reader here. I dropped it because the writing. Really stunted narration and development. I hope the anime is better...

That's sad to hear. I still didn't read it, but I really like Nihei's previous works.

Pooya

2199 1-4

It's good to watch something you know it will be good for a change, weird feeling lol.
What I liked the most is the sound design. CG is mostly fine, just in instances when these fighter jets or ships do some vertical maneuvers, the way they rotate is off, like the rotation axis isn't where it should be. In other scenes they look fine mostly. Overall it is quite gorgeous.

I'm not expecting much from the story so far, I'm watching for that space voyage feeling, I imagine it's full of usual political stuff otherwise.

Jarmel

Banned
Nah, I think it looks fantastic. Great camera work, amazing sets, and the characters look pretty good. It's a bit doll-like, but that's just how CG animation looks with human characters. More of a matter of style than anything else. Everything about it looks fantastic to me. You're free to disagree, but trying to make it sound like other people are wrong is a bad way to start a debate.

Well when the initial point of conversation is about the CGI, then that's what I'm looking at. The character animations for me look flat out bad especially for the human characters, which is why I hate when any studio that is not Pixar/Dreamworks/Disney even try to attempt it. They almost always look wonky.

Welp. I might watch the first couple of episodes but if that's true, ugh.

cajunator

Banned
It's the same on the Japanese track. Honestly, I'm going to have to imagine that Sentai didn't have much choice in the matter - someone has actually gone in and completely recomposited that scene, not just to remove the lip-flaps, but to alter and retime camera movements so that it works better without people singing. I've got to imagine that was done at source in Japan, given the work involved there, and it wouldn't really surprise me if the music came from there too.

Bare in mind that even the version streamed in Crunchyroll, without that scene at all, looks to have been a decision made in Japan - the ending credits for the episode had been changed to reflect the difference in the two versions.

Its really disappointing but the same thing happened to Speed Grapher. Except there it wasnt as disappointing because the show isnt very good so no one cares.
I feel there may be great disappointment if a licensor cannot get Roundabout rights to use for Jojo in the US.

It's an impossible standard for anyone else to live up to anyway.

'It is.

Jex

2199 1-4

It's good to watch something you know it will be good for a change, weird feeling lol.

What I liked the most is the sound design. CG is mostly fine, just in instances when these fighter jets or ships do some vertical maneuvers, the way they rotate is off, like the rotation axis isn't where it should be. In other scenes they look fine mostly. Overall it is quite gorgeous.

I'm not expecting much from the story so far, I'm watching for that space voyage feeling, I imagine it's full of usual political stuff otherwise.

The beauty of watching something when it's been completed!

duckroll

Well when the initial point of conversation is about the CGI, then that's what I'm looking at. The character animations for me look flat out bad especially for the human characters, which is why I hate when any studio that is not Pixar/Dreamworks/Disney even try to attempt it. They almost always look wonky.

You know that's what a lot of people say about Japanese animation compared to Disney and "American productions" too right? Wonky animation, low budget, looks bad, etc. Congrats on having the same mindset. :)

For spring show,i can't wait this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuyGcdRA8KA
And if this full CGI show sells again,i'm gonna laugh all CGI haters

That actually looks okay, though it would be sooooooooo much better if it was not CGI. They kind of look like robots.

Why is the Spring thread taking so long?

You know that's what a lot of people say about Japanese animation compared to Disney and "American productions" too right? Wonky animation, low budget, looks bad, etc. Congrats on having the same mindset. :)

They must be crazy. Disney has fantastic animations.

CorvoSol

Pirotess>all

You know, I'm inclined to agree.

Wise men.

Fixed that for youMAL.

I was greatly amused by your review of エリート部隊(スクワッド)2:敵はもう一つある.

How about you give Michiko to Hatchin a spin? It's an anime set in a fictional Brazil, the background and the music are great, the story drags a little in the second part and the heroine is an anti-hero too...I can't really imagine a normal hero for us, my perfect image of a brazilian hero(in anime) before Michiko was the Desert Punk from Desert Punk.

Haha, I'm glad someone else liked it. I was worried it was too obscure for the majority of the people in this thread. I should check this one out, though. The "classical brazilian hero" I mentioned, Martim from Iracema, is perhaps better defined as a "classical hero who happens to be brazilian."

Have you seen victory gundam? Katejina loos is the Dio Brando of gundam. Her and Dio should get together to kick puppies.

I have seen most of Victory Gundam. I . . . was not a big fan, haha.

Jex

Happy Birthday, Inochi Kagayaku Toki

Well, that was really hard to watch. I liked the emphasis on the believable psychological struggles of the children, although, this being a movie, everything wrapped up much nicer than they almost ever do in real life.

I did find the bully-is-actually-bullied-himself cliche a bit silly, especially with that contrived "accident" scene. It's true that some people bully because they've been victimized as well, but there are also a lot of bullies who are just terrible people because they've never had to learn empathy.

Watch Anne of Green Gables. It's only like, 50 episodes!
noragami - 12

Good end. It feels like something that belongs to the series proper, a side story that fleshes out the characters rather than the original addition that it is. Impressed by the job they did here with the time they had left, rather than leaving things unresolved or doing so in a half assed way. Is this the best show out of bones in the last few years? Sure feels like it.

I do wish Rabo had been handled with a bit more ambiguity. He went full Evil at the end, instead of remaining as an echo/reminder of what Yato was (or if you read the manga, what Yato still is). Would have been a stronger finish that way.

tl;dr version: evil troll kugimiya is the best.

It's always good to see a fellow Noragami fellow. Glad to see you enjoyed it.

Jarmel

Banned

Well which Disney era are we talking about? ;)

Grzi

Since we're on the topic (to an extent lol) of western vs. eastern animation style, I've recently finally finished watching all of Avatar/Legend of Korra (enjoyed it very much) and has the work Studio Pierrot did on Korra been discussed here?

The first season of Korra was animated by a Korean studio called Mir, and they did an amazing job, ti basically looks better than 99% of all anime, plus it's incredibly consistent, I was completely in awe the whole time. The second season (the first half of it, to be exact) was done by Japanese studio Pierrot, and it was really really bad and terribly inconsistent, so they had to turn to Studio Mir again for help, and they did a wonderful job again on the second half of the season. It seriously bummed me out, being a huge fan of anime and everything, that they couldn't bother to showcase what they can do (I presume the budget was the same for them as it was for Mir, that is to say, much larger than for the average anime show), and instead churned out garbage.
Has this been discussed already? Anyone here more informed on it?

Jarmel

Banned
Since we're on the topic (to an extent lol) of western vs. eastern animation style, I've recently finally finished watching all of Avatar/Legend of Korra (enjoyed it very much) and has the work Studio Pierrot did on Korra been discussed here?

The first season of Korra was animated by a Korean studio called Mir, and they did an amazing job, ti basically looks better than 99% of all anime, plus it's incredibly consistent, I was completely in awe the whole time. The second season (the first half of it, to be exact) was done by Japanese studio Pierrot, and it was really really bad and terribly inconsistent, so they had to turn to Studio Mir again for help, and they did a wonderful job again on the second half of the season. It seriously bummed me out, being a huge fan of anime and everything, that they couldn't bother to showcase what they can do (I presume the budget was the same for them as it was for Mir, that is to say, much larger than for the average anime show), and instead churned out garbage.
Has this been discussed already? Anyone here more informed on it?

I doubt many people here have watched Korra. That said, Pierrot did some good work. Mir did a much better job though.

Mir is a great studio as a whole. They couldn't work on all of Season 2 as Mir was working on another show at the time(Boondocks S4?). Mir to my understanding is doing all of S3 and S4.

Jex

MAXThe difference between Mushishi and Natsume and why I prefer Natsume as a show dealing with a man who goes around solving problems involving these invisible creatures comes from the characters. Like Hito said Mushishi is more moody and atmospheric, it didn't ever really dwell on expanding on the cast or making you care about the main character (again from what I recall). It was more of a show about using the protagonist as the plot device to show us around the world of Mushishi. It was all about building the world and this fantasy that was just absolutely amazing, but I never really got as emotionally invested in any of the stories as much as I did with most of Natsume's. I'll definitely be giving Mushishi a fair watch again while the second season is airing now that I've learned to appreciate works I fully didn't intend to watch before, see if it changes my mind on which show I prefer. But again like Jexhius mentions they don't have much in common besides a common theme to their main character and creatures, I just felt like pointing out mushishi due to this and due to my lack of appreciation for it when I first watched it.
To some up my opinions on Natsume -

I really, really liked the first season when I watched it. I thought it was thoroughly charming, sharply directed and pleasing to the eye. I failed to enjoy the subsequent seasons of the series at the same level because they weren't nearly as consistent as the original. It wasn't just that the quality of the production fluctuated significantly, with some episodes looking rather poor and featuring terrible direction, but I actually found the writing to be more problematic.

Despite the appearance of continuity in the series I never really feel like any of the characters grow or develop in any interesting way despite the number of episodes they have and even when they do change it's never really that noticeable. Moreover Natsume himself is a bland, nice-guy protagonist with social issues and that's a character type we've seen in numerous stories and he's just not that interesting to watch for so many episodes. The stories all kind of ended up running together too.

Grzi

I doubt many people here have watched Korra. That said, Pierrot did some good work. Mir did a much better job though.

Mir is a great studio as a whole. They couldn't work on all of Season 2 as Mir was working on another show at the time(Boondocks S4?). Mir to my understanding is doing all of S3 and S4.

The first two episodes looked okay, and some action scenes later on, but most of the time the characters were off-model and the animation was stiff and lifeless, I don't know, I was really disappointed.
Was a reason given for this? I mean, they switched studios midway through the season, obviously the creators weren't satisfied.

Jarmel

Banned
The first two episodes looked okay, and some action scenes later on, but most of the time the characters were off-model and the animation was stiff and lifeless, I don't know, I was really disappointed.
Was a reason given for this? I mean, they switched studios midway through the season, obviously the creators weren't satisfied.

The switch was probably preplanned way before Pierrot did any work.

As to why Pierrot put out subpar work, well there could be a host of issues. Again, I would just say that Mir is a higher caliber studio as a whole.

Grzi

The switch was probably preplanned way before Pierrot did any work.

As to why Pierrot put out subpar work, well there could be a host of issues. Again, I would just say that Mir is a higher caliber studio as a whole.

Oh, okay. Any word on the animation possibly being fixed a bit for the bluray release?

duckroll

Narag can update the OP when he has the time. We don't need a Spring thread until this thread runs out of posts. Welcome to the new era of transitional AnimeGAF threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom