• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter-Spring 2014 Anime |OT3| People incapable of guilt usually do have a good time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Articalys

Another simulcast for Crunchyroll as they add Love Live S2 to their schedule. Unfortunately, as with the first season, it's delayed a bit -- Mondays at 11:00am PDT.

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-ne...season-of-love-live-school-idol-project-anime
Love Live! School Idol Project will be available to Crunchyroll’s audience in the following territories: USA, Canada, UK, Ireland, South Africa, Australia, New Zealand, Denmark, Finland, Norway, Sweden, Central, South America, Spain, Portugal, Turkey, the Netherlands, France, Belgium, Switzerland, Andorra, Luxembourg, Algeria, Tunisia, Morocco, Guiana, Polynesia, Mayotte, New Caledonia, Réunion, Wallis & Futuna Islands, Germany, Austria, Lichtenstein, Italy, Poland, Czech Republic, Hungary, Romania, and Denmark.

Grzi

The staff at Studio Mir also have a close working relationship with the Korra people at Nick. One of their main purposes for existing like many Korean studios is to do outsourced animation work unlike Pierrot who still have their own domestic shows to contend with. I also doubt Pierrot has as much influence as Mir on the show.

All this means is that Mir is much more likely to frontload their main talent on Korra. It also helps Mir is a good studio that stands above most other Korean studios. While Pierrot isn't exactly a studio that really delivers all that much in the first place (aside from say the occasional sakuga Naruto episode or whatever).

Yeah, but with the budget for Korra being much bigger than the average anime (I remember reading that the budget for Avatar: The Last Airbender was 1 million USD per episode, Korra's was probably the same, if not higher), you'd expect them to do a better job. It's a shame, really.

Nordicus

Genshiken Nidaime 2

Aah, Yajimacchi's getting on Hato's case for crossdressing and for being better than her in a lot of things she cares about. I also find it rather funny how it looks like the main cast shrunk 3 feet whenever an average build or heavier guy appears in the show.

And so it begins!
HYlpXFU.jpg

Nidaime was really good. lots of fujoshit talk but thats ok cause it was still funny and very Genshiken.
Anything's good when it's Genshiken

TheRancor

Yeah, but with the budget for Korra being much bigger than the average anime (I remember reading that the budget for Avatar: The Last Airbender was 1 million USD per episode, Korra's was probably the same, if not higher), you'd expect them to do a better job. It's a shame, really.
Well, turns out bigger budgets aren't everything in making a show look good I suppose!

This is what I've got for now. Someone can double-check for errors.
Of course it'll keep getting stuff added to it, but I'll update it after the weekend.

Simulcast Schedule

Sunday
CR - One Week Friends - 9:00am PDT
CR - Nobunaga the Fool - 12:15pm PDT
CR - Tonari no Seki-kun- 3:00pm PDT

Monday
CR - Yowamushi Pedal - 11:00am PDT

Tuesday
CR - Majin Bone - 4:00am PDT
CR - Hunter x Hunter - 11:00am PDT

Wednesday
[none announced yet]

Thursday
CR - Naruto Shippuden - 4:00am PDT
FN - selector infected WIXOSS - 11:00am PDT
CR - Blade and Soul - 12:46pm PDT

Friday
CR - Mushishi Zoku Shou - 9:00am PST
CR - JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders - 10:30am PST

Saturday
FN - Daimidaler - 3:30am PDT
CR, DS - Nisekoi - 9:00am PDT
CR - Kamigami no Asobi - 10:00am PDT
CR - La corda d’oro -Blue Sky- - 11:30am PDT
CR - The World is Still Beautiful - 12:00pm PDT
CR - Ace of the Diamond - 5:30pm PDT
CR - Folktales from Japan - 5:30pm PDT
CR - Cardfight!! Vanguard Legion Mate - 7:00pm PDT
CR, FN - One Piece - 7:00pm PST

Legend:
CR = Crunchyroll
FN = Funimation
DS = Daisuki

(regional streaming restrictions may apply)

I see.... NOTHING.

Bah gonna have to wait for the new OT so I can read descriptions.

This year's AOTY is the new movie of School Days with added gender-swapping elements, animated by SHAFT with an original story by Mari Okada. AnimeGAF may have noticed it, but senpai never will.

Okada and School Days would be grand.

Mushishi Zoku-Sho 1

An excellent way to get back into Mushishi. The outsider's perspective allowed them to reintroduce the concept of mushi in case this is your first experience with the series, while they managed to not retread much ground. The emphasis on the kouki connects directly back to stories from the beginning of the first season, while the sake brewing element lent it a unique touch. I particularly appreciated the look into the world of the Mushi-shi, beyond just Ginko. It was an interesting story in that there really isn't a problem to be solved, as there often is in the series, but instead simply presented this strange situation on the border of the known and unknown and let it speak for itself. If I were to list one of the things I most enjoy about Mushishi overall, it would be that it lets things speak for themselves.

Of course, the production deserves all the same praise that the first season gets, from animating the mushi on ones to give them that alien feel, to the atmospheric music and sound design. The new OP is really fitting - it's a different song with acoustic guitar and blue instead of the original's green, but it really hearkens back to the original's OP and puts you in the proper mindset to watch the episode. Come to think of it, Nagahama sure likes his minimal OP/EDs that set mood with music and only sparse visuals. He did a similar thing with Flowers of Evil.

Gbraga

Mushishi Zoku-Sho 1

An excellent way to get back into Mushishi. The outsider's perspective allowed them to reintroduce the concept of mushi in case this is your first experience with the series, while they managed to not retread much ground. The emphasis on the kouki connects directly back to stories from the beginning of the first season, while the sake brewing element lent it a unique touch. I particularly appreciated the look into the world of the Mushi-shi, beyond just Ginko. It was an interesting story in that there really isn't a problem to be solved, as there often is in the series, but instead simply presented this strange situation on the border of the known and unknown and let it speak for itself. If I were to list one of the things I most enjoy about Mushishi overall, it would be that it lets things speak for themselves.

Of course, the production deserves all the same praise that the first season gets, from animating the mushi on ones to give them that alien feel, to the atmospheric music and sound design. The new OP is really fitting - it's a different song with acoustic guitar and blue instead of the original's green, but it really hearkens back to the original's OP and puts you in the proper mindset to watch the episode. Come to think of it, Nagahama sure likes his minimal OP/EDs that set mood with music and only sparse visuals. He did a similar thing with Flowers of Evil.

I really hope Crunchyroll gets the rights to stream the first season too! I've been interested in Mushishi for quite a while.

Blade&Soul - 01

The episode was enjoyable for what it was, but they really need to get rid of all the male characters. Most if not all of the lines said by them were absolutely cringeworthy. As shown in Basileus777's screencap, that guy was just an obnoxious tool and I
couldn't be more thankful to see him bite the dust so quickly

Spend more time on the ladies and less on unfunny NPCs Gonzo!
I haven't seen the ep yet but i trust your opinion.
Why don't more people go the koihime mousou route , just get rid of the male characters and all will be well.

Mandoric is singlehandedly writing, animating, and voicing an entire Monogatari episode full of AnimeGAF reference humor utilizing hundred-layered kanji puns. He would have been done by now but he decided to go back and add extra crease lines to all of duckroll's pantyshots.

Seems intresting , will it be streamed on crunchyroll ?
I KNOW RIGHT.

Hinata is mai waifu and the cutest Hanazawa character ever. Ruri is also excellent waifu material and pretty damn high on the Hanazawa character rankings. And Tamaki is a bundle of adorable.

Basically this is the greatest family ever featured in an anime.
Good example of a tastefull comment.

Narag can update the OP when he has the time. We don't need a Spring thread until this thread runs out of posts. Welcome to the new era of transitional AnimeGAF threads.

Ah ah AH ..now the thread title make sense !!

Nordicus

Genshiken Nidaime 3

Giving Hato the voice actor who would eventually voice Fushimi Inari from Inari, Konkon, Koi Iroha is probably the best choice they could have made. That speedtalk is just HNNNNGGGGH.

By the way, I wonder if Keiko buying Asuka's suit from Evangelion to please Madarame was an anime-only scene. I don't remember that at all.

Defuser

The Kawai Complex Guide to Manors and Hostel Behavior aka Bokura wa Minna Kawaisou ep 01
Those big ass text overlays are annoying and pointless, they don't add a punch to it.

Other than that, its a pretty average show, I expected better from the author of Love Lab or maybe it's the production itself is the problem.....

Drunk Satou Rina is the best.

Articalys

Anyway.

Mushishi Zoku Shou ep.1

I never did get around to rewatching the first season, but for now it doesn't seem like it'll be a problem. I vageuly remember the kouki stuff from a couple episodes but not the specifics.
As hosanna said, a nice reintroduction to the world.

JJBA Stardust Crusaders ep.1

Confession time: I've never seen the OVAs except for a few clips here and there so I don't have much to compare it to, but this episode had all the same style/fabulousness that David Production brought out before. Super excited for the OP/ED next week too.

cajunator

Banned
This should be illegal.

Like anime itself.

My room would be the most illegal place in america.

Genshiken Nidaime 2

Aah, Yajimacchi's getting on Hato's case for crossdressing and for being better than her in a lot of things she cares about. I also find it rather funny how it looks like the main cast shrunk 3 feet whenever an average build or heavier guy appears in the show.

And so it begins!
HYlpXFU.jpg

Anything's good when it's Genshiken

Thats true. genshiken is always greatness.
Ohno <3

Genshiken Nidaime 3

Giving Hato the voice actor who would eventually voice Fushimi Inari from Inari, Konkon, Koi Iroha is probably the best choice they could have made. That speedtalk is just HNNNNGGGGH.

By the way, I wonder if Keiko buying Asuka's suit from Evangelion to please Madarame was an anime-only scene. I don't remember that at all.

That wasn't an anime-only scene. Just checked volume 10 of the manga (volume 1 of Kodansha USA's Genshiken Second Season), and that scene was located at the very end after chapter 61.

This is what I've got for now. Someone can double-check for errors.
Of course it'll keep getting stuff added to it, but I'll update it after the weekend.

Simulcast Schedule

Sunday
CR - One Week Friends - 9:00am PDT
CR - Nobunaga the Fool - 12:15pm PDT
CR - Tonari no Seki-kun- 3:00pm PDT

Monday
CR - Yowamushi Pedal - 11:00am PDT

Tuesday
CR - Majin Bone - 4:00am PDT
CR - Hunter x Hunter - 11:00am PDT

Wednesday
[none announced yet]

Thursday
CR - Naruto Shippuden - 4:00am PDT
FN - selector infected WIXOSS - 11:00am PDT
CR - Blade and Soul - 12:46pm PDT

Friday
CR - Mushishi Zoku Shou - 9:00am PST
CR - JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders - 10:30am PST

Saturday
FN - Daimidaler - 3:30am PDT
CR, DS - Nisekoi - 9:00am PDT
CR - Kamigami no Asobi - 10:00am PDT
CR - La corda d&#8217;oro -Blue Sky- - 11:30am PDT
CR - The World is Still Beautiful - 12:00pm PDT
CR - Ace of the Diamond - 5:30pm PDT
CR - Folktales from Japan - 5:30pm PDT
CR - Cardfight!! Vanguard Legion Mate - 7:00pm PDT
CR, FN - One Piece - 7:00pm PST

Legend:
CR = Crunchyroll
FN = Funimation
DS = Daisuki

(regional streaming restrictions may apply)

Future card Buddyfight on fridays is still a continuing series for youtube.

Nordicus

Genshiken Nidaime 4

Oh god, I forgot Angela. And whenever there's Angela, there's tons of engrish dialog (to keep the language barrier), something that I have a painfully low tolerance for. I need to take my earphones off every time she speaks.

The girls from Ogiue's past thankfully got harsh treatment from her friends. Even if they were there to give good news about Makita, there was no need to open up conversation with that much schaudenfreude
sDzEO6Y.jpg

Valid question

That wasn't an anime-only scene. Just checked volume 10 of the manga (volume 1 of Kodansha USA's Genshiken Second Season), and that scene was located at the very end after chapter 61.
Aah, I see.

Mushishi 14
That poor girl. Dying to let her loved one leave the forest.

Mushishi 15
Somewhat hope that these character reoccur. This is like the first time a character has shown general attraction to Ginko instead of just mere friendship

CorvoSol

Macross 7 7

Basara is such a shit. Like seriously.

"Fire Bomber isn't just your band, you know!"
"Then whose is it?"

Fuck off, Basara. You're lucky no soldier hasn't subjected you to friendly fire you arrogant prick.

Please enjoy this lingering shot of a 14 year old girl's bikini wedgie. Stay classy, Kawamori.

cnet128

Banned
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders 1

Usually I try to vaguely follow a rule of watching things in the order they air and/or leaving the best shows till last, but FUCK THAT, I wasn't about to sit here checking out Wixoss when I could be watching FUCKING JOJO.

But yeah. I don't have all that much to say about this first episode except that it looks fabulous, it's awesome all round, and they're doing the material justice so far. Hyped for the real action starting next week (and for the OP and ED. We still don't know what the ED is, do we? Is there even going to be one?)

Macross 7 Fleet of the Strongest Women

This was pretty hilarious and better than most of the regular show. Wacky antics, Millia/Max action, blushing Zentradi, and Basara turning an entire Meltrandi fleet into raving fangirls make for a good time.

Macross 7 7

Basara is such a shit. Like seriously.

"Fire Bomber isn't just your band, you know!"
"Then whose is it?"

Fuck off, Basara. You're lucky no soldier hasn't subjected you to friendly fire you arrogant prick.
But he's right.

CorvoSol

How is Basara right when there are 3 other members to his band? Without them he's just some space hippy with a guitar that nobody listens to. Note how all of his solo gigs end with people trying to punch him, shoot him, or leaving before his songs finish.

Nobody in this fleet, minus bouqet girl, gives two shits about Basara without the band. And since Basara 1) is not paying them, 2) is not paying for the damages his band incurs, 3) is not arranging gigs and 4) does not decide what sets they're going to play, I'd say he has barely any claim on Fire Bomber at all.

survivor

Banned
Watching Nandaka Velonica and it's pretty weird to see them go from the expressive and colourful animations from the OP and the show to the hideous and dead CG dance sequence for the ED. I wonder if the targeted audience even gives a shit to care about the difference between the two styles.

How is Basara right when there are 3 other members to his band? Without them he's just some space hippy with a guitar that nobody listens to. Note how all of his solo gigs end with people trying to punch him, shoot him, or leaving before his songs finish.

Nobody in this fleet, minus bouqet girl, gives two shits about Basara without the band. And since Basara 1) is not paying them, 2) is not paying for the damages his band incurs, 3) is not arranging gigs and 4) does not decide what sets they're going to play, I'd say he has barely any claim on Fire Bomber at all.

I wasn't really serious. But he is the lead singer/lead guitar and main attraction for the band. And the only band member who has any real problems with how he operates himself is the spoiled girl who just joined it.

Gazoinks

Mushishi SS 1

Mm yes, that's the stuff. Great episode. The outsider perspective let them ease into the universe for people who haven't seen the first season, but they also included some nice callbacks for fans. It was nice for a first episode to feature a story that wasn't as tragic as Mushishi gets, instead just about the magic of the world. Loved the last shot. OP was really nice too.

CorvoSol

I wasn't really serious. But he is the lead singer/lead guitar and main attraction for the band. And the only band member who has any real problems with how he operates himself is the spoiled girl who just joined it.

I mean, sure he's the front man/lead singer, but it's woefully obvious that without Ray Basara would be some bum on a street corner. Ray is the only one who can claim anything more than joint ownership. And while Ray is too chill to make as big a deal of it as Mylene does, he wasn't very happy that Basara wrecked the trailer either.

Mylene might be spoiled, but Basara is still the one who behaves like he's queen of the world.

I think what bugs me about Basara is that his character is perfectly positioned to behave like a goofy protagonist but instead he's like Isamu turned up to 20.

Jex

Watching Nandaka Velonica and it's pretty weird to see them go from the expressive and colourful animations from the OP and the show to the hideous and dead CG dance sequence for the ED. I wonder if the targeted audience even gives a shit to care about the difference between the two styles.

kids r dumb

I mean, sure he's the front man/lead singer, but it's woefully obvious that without Ray Basara would be some bum on a street corner. Ray is the only one who can claim anything more than joint ownership. And while Ray is too chill to make as big a deal of it as Mylene does, he wasn't very happy that Basara wrecked the trailer either.

Mylene might be spoiled, but Basara is still the one who behaves like he's queen of the world.

I think what bugs me about Basara is that his character is perfectly positioned to behave like a goofy protagonist but instead he's like Isamu turned up to 20.

Basara isn't much like Isamu at all. I actually enjoy Basara in large part because he isn't a stock anime character type and is pretty different from pretty any mecha protagonist I've seen. And he's certainly pretty goofy, all of Macross 7 is.

CorvoSol

Basara isn't much like Isamu at all. I actually enjoy Basara in large part because he isn't a stock anime character type and is pretty different from pretty any mecha protagonist I've seen.

He's exactly like Isamu. He's cocky, arrogant and stupid in spite of not having anything to back up his being these things. Much like Isamu, the only reason Basara isn't dead yet is because of an absurd amount of stupid luck. The only difference between them is that Isamu didn't have some stupid need to blame others when he used violence.

Otherwise Basara is exactly the same anti-military loser who has been the protagonist of Macross in each and every show I have watched so far. He's Hibiki Kanzaki but with music instead of scoops. He's Hikaru except without the pathetic crush and just replaced it with Minmay's inability to remember more than 3 songs.

BluWacky

I actually found the CG ending quite charming. I mean, it's nowhere near as idiosyncratic as the show's animation - which is the main draw, as frankly Velonica herself is an irritating little brat and I am no longer the target audience for such things - but it's relatively fluid and has a pleasing "solidity" to it - Velonica and the robot feel like rounded, 3D objects with weight and gravity, not just dancing anime mannequins.

Speaking of which, I can't link to it because I'm on a phone but did anyone else watch the CG recreation of Cardcaptor Sakura's first OP that was linked to on Crunchyroll or ANN or somewhere the other day? It's a remarkably accurate recreation (if not as amusing as the classic live action one...) and almost as charming.

He's exactly like Isamu. He's cocky, arrogant and stupid in spite of not having anything to back up his being these things. Much like Isamu, the only reason Basara isn't dead yet is because of an absurd amount of stupid luck. The only difference between them is that Isamu didn't have some stupid need to blame others when he used violence.

Otherwise Basara is exactly the same anti-military loser who has been the protagonist of Macross in each and every show I have watched so far. He's Hibiki Kanzaki but with music instead of scoops. He's Hikaru except without the pathetic crush.

I couldn't disagree more. But then I don't agree much with you when it comes to Macross, we approach the series from completely different directions.

CorvoSol

I couldn't disagree more. But then I don't agree much with you when it comes to Macross.

There isn't any evidence in these 7 episodes to so much as indicate that he's goofy or not a shit though. Partially because the show insists on explaining nothing. I'd love it if Basara WAS goofy, but so far he hasn't even cracked a joke. He spends his time blaming others for his mistakes and fighting with Mylene and that's basically the whole of his character.

Gbraga

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom