• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter-Spring 2014 Anime |OT3| People incapable of guilt usually do have a good time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jex

The Crunchyroll description for JoJo's Part 1 is pretty special:

Part 1 - Phantom Blood In ancient Mexico, people of Aztec had prospered. They had historic and strange "Stone Mask". It was a miraculous mask which brings eternal life and the power of authentic ruler. But the mask suddenly disappeared. A long time after that, in late 19th centuries when the thought and life of people were suddenly changing, Jonathan Joestar met with Dio Brando―. They spend time together through boyhood to youth, and the "Stone Mask" brings curious fate to them―.

"Through boyhood to youth" pretty great.

Also - Omg 1sttttt!!! post etc

Gbraga

Narag can update the OP when he has the time. We don't need a Spring thread until this thread runs out of posts. Welcome to the new era of transitional AnimeGAF threads.

nani sore

EDIT: Oh, I see. Can't wait for the update to decide what I'll watch and where.

Theonik

The Crunchyroll description for JoJo's Part 1 is pretty special:

"Through boyhood to youth" pretty great.

Also - Omg 1sttttt!!! post etc
That passage reminds me of this:
ieQWkVxwssJIZ.png

Narag can update the OP when he has the time. We don't need a Spring thread until this thread runs out of posts. Welcome to the new era of transitional AnimeGAF threads.

Next thing we'll know we'll drop the seasons and keep going up or down or left or right or in some 5th direction for the OTs.

Mr.Jeff

Despite the appearance of continuity in the series I never really feel like any of the characters grow or develop in any interesting way despite the number of episodes they have and even when they do change it's never really that noticeable. Moreover Natsume himself is a bland, nice-guy protagonist with social issues and that's a character type we've seen in numerous stories and he's just not that interesting to watch for so many episodes. The stories all kind of ended up running together too.
That echos a lot of what I thought as well. While there's new characters and situations that are introduced, it never really feels like it progresses anywhere.
The overlying premise is that Natsume learns something most episodes; most typically that he is no longer alone in an uncaring world and has people that genuinely like him for who he is. Yet despite this, it often feels like this is reset every so often as he encounters this dilemma over and over again. Granted this can be taken as a known quantity for people who are overly conscious about themselves but it undermine the development.

That said I've only seen 2 and a half seasons of it so they may have changed it somewhat.

The Bird episode from the first series is still the best episode though.

TheRancor

The first two episodes looked okay, and some action scenes later on, but most of the time the characters were off-model and the animation was stiff and lifeless, I don't know, I was really disappointed.
Was a reason given for this? I mean, they switched studios midway through the season, obviously the creators weren't satisfied.
The switch was probably preplanned way before Pierrot did any work.

As to why Pierrot put out subpar work, well there could be a host of issues. Again, I would just say that Mir is a higher caliber studio as a whole.
Whether it's fully agreeable or not, I found at least someone who wrote about it http://sakugadaichi.blogspot.co.uk/2013/12/masahiro-sato-studio-pierrot-and-legend.html

That echos a lot of what I thought as well. While there's new characters and situations that are introduced, it never really feels like it progresses anywhere.
The overlying premise is that Natsume learns something most episodes; most typically that he is no longer alone in an uncaring world and has people that genuinely like him for who he is. Yet despite this, it often feels like this is reset every so often as he encounters this dilemma over and over again. Granted this can be taken as a known quantity for people who are overly conscious about themselves but it undermine the development.

That said I've only seen 2 and a half seasons of it so they may have changed it somewhat.

The Bird episode from the first series is still the best episode though.

See, the bolded is actually what I like about Natsume's character development. I know it doesn't make for the best progression, but it feels more realistic to me. I can see why people wouldn't enjoy this aspect, though. I feel he does slowly open up more as the series progresses, but I can see how it might get tiring as it takes 4 seasons to get to that point.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Shenanigans!

Just before it finally becomes my time to do a thread. This must not stand!

Nordicus

Genshiken Nidaime 1

Extremely enjoyable adaptation of the first chapters with the new cast. Hato having 2 voice actors, male and female, is a bit disappointing to me, but I guess it was the simplest solution. He's as cute as I expected. Kuchiki's perverted antics were actually a bit funnier than I anticipated because his voice is manlier than I envision it.

I was not prepared for the GODTIER one-two punch of contemporary references from Sue

I await the growing tension between Hato and Madararararararararame

Gbraga

Well at least now I can post my favorite scene of the season, even though Engaged to the Unidentified is still my Anime of the Season.

Curve
I don't know what my favorite scene is, but the most memorable one is definitely VIVA TORTURE. I would NEVER expect that.

Should be changed to 'Spring Winter' instead, like in Days of "Future Past"
That's even worse >_<

Nah. Its refreshing. Lots of opportunities!
Is it? Ok, cajun, I'll trust you. Take care of me.

Genshiken Nidaime 1

Extremely enjoyable adaptation of the first chapters with the new cast. Hato having 2 voice actors, male and female, is a bit disappointing to me, but I guess it was the simplest solution. He's as cute as I expected. Kuchiki's perverted antics were actually a bit funnier than I anticipated because his voice is manlier than I envision it.

I was not prepared for the GODTIER one-two punch of references from Sue

I assume this is a sequel to Genshiken, but only Nidaime is available on Crunchyroll. What's up with that? Is the story standalone? I saw cute girls and instantly put it on my queue.

Articalys

(Actually what's most important is having the right Simulcast data I think. The rest is whatever.)

This is what I've got for now. Someone can double-check for errors.
Of course it'll keep getting stuff added to it, but I'll update it after the weekend.

Simulcast Schedule

Sunday
CR - One Week Friends - 9:00am PDT
CR - Nobunaga the Fool - 12:15pm PDT
CR - Tonari no Seki-kun- 3:00pm PDT

Monday
CR - Yowamushi Pedal - 11:00am PDT

Tuesday
CR - Majin Bone - 4:00am PDT
CR - Hunter x Hunter - 11:00am PDT

Wednesday
[none announced yet]

Thursday
CR - Naruto Shippuden - 4:00am PDT
FN - selector infected WIXOSS - 11:00am PDT
CR - Blade and Soul - 12:46pm PDT

Friday
CR - Mushishi Zoku Shou - 9:00am PST
CR - JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders - 10:30am PST

Saturday
FN - Daimidaler - 3:30am PDT
CR, DS - Nisekoi - 9:00am PDT
CR - Kamigami no Asobi - 10:00am PDT
CR - La corda d&#8217;oro -Blue Sky- - 11:30am PDT
CR - The World is Still Beautiful - 12:00pm PDT
CR - Ace of the Diamond - 5:30pm PDT
CR - Folktales from Japan - 5:30pm PDT
CR - Cardfight!! Vanguard Legion Mate - 7:00pm PDT
CR, FN - One Piece - 7:00pm PST

Legend:
CR = Crunchyroll
FN = Funimation
DS = Daisuki

(regional streaming restrictions may apply)

Nordicus

I assume this is a sequel to Genshiken, but only Nidaime is available on Crunchyroll. What's up with that? Is the story standalone? I saw cute girls and instantly put it on my queue.
Yeah it's a sequel, much of the former main cast has graduated and moved on to working life, but they often reappear as side characters.

I'd recommend you watch the prequels to this first, but it is really in no way necessary to enjoy the sequel as they're slice-of-life, and this season delivers the cute girls much better if that's what you're looking for.

cajunator

Banned
Genshiken Nidaime 1

I was not prepared for the GODTIER one-two punch of contemporary references from Sue

Nidaime was really good. lots of fujoshit talk but thats ok cause it was still funny and very Genshiken.

Gbraga

So, do I need to wait for the blu-ray before watching Daimidaler?

Yeah it's a sequel, much of the former main cast has graduated and moved on to working life, but they often reappear as side characters.

I'd recommend you watch the prequels to this first, but it is really in no way necessary to enjoy the sequel as they're slice-of-life, and this season delivers the cute girls much better if that's what you're looking for.

Will do!

You mean in ZA WARUDO of emptiness and uncertainty.

CONNECT WITH DIO

Wait, that doesn't seem right

Selector idk it's girls battling cards.

This looks like to be the 1st dropped show of the new season. Obvious twincest pandering aside, the characters are not appealing at all.

TheRancor

Thanks, that's a nice overview of everything.
The staff at Studio Mir also have a close working relationship with the Korra people at Nick. One of their main purposes for existing like many Korean studios is to do outsourced animation work unlike Pierrot who still have their own domestic shows to contend with. I also doubt Pierrot has as much influence as Mir on the show.

All this means is that Mir is much more likely to frontload their main talent on Korra. It also helps Mir is a good studio that stands above most other Korean studios. While Pierrot isn't exactly a studio that really delivers all that much in the first place (aside from say the occasional sakuga Naruto episode or whatever).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom