• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter-Spring 2014 Anime |OT3| People incapable of guilt usually do have a good time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Midonin

Fairy Tail 176

Fairy Tail's the only long running fighting anime I've watched (subbed, at least). It left off in the middle of an arc, too, so I was ready to pick that up. Not a bad restart to the series. About the first third was reestablishing who the main cast is, the bookends were an in media res prediction from the future, and the middle was long exposition about the origin of the Dragon Slayers. Zirconis was amusing. Also very candid about eating humans.

And Lector was obliterated by the master of Sabertooth.
I had forgotten how militant their leader was. The new opening and ending are both alright, the eyecatches are not quite as fun as the last time the show was on, and while I did notice the new character designs, it's not so big of a change that it took me out of it. I'm prepared for the turtle like pacing of one of these kinds of series, so I suppose I should settle in.

Theonik

Nichijou 19
ibiYwbbKEGEWaX.png
Mostly forgettable episode except for that scene.
Also :Zach
And look it's Crimoea!

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Basically there are only a couple of characters that are important. You can tell its from a LN. You can see the harem candidates, the best friend who no one likes etc etc.

Clannad is a VN, not a LN, but yes only because the VN has multiple routes.

Clannad 3

b6gAm3N.png

Tsundad is basically the only character I like so far, but the only actual complaint I came here to make is that this show is introducing way too many characters. I'm not at all a fan of massive casts.

Akio = best dude ever. end of fucking story.

To Heart 11-13 + Specials + Final Thoughts

86RODoU.jpg

It's all about the Multi.

The conclusion of her two-parter was really sweet. I liked it more than the Christmas two-parter that followed after, but that also served the purpose of wrapping up the Akari plotline. The love triangle was never turned into too much drama, but since I still have an entire other season to go, I wonder if it'll get brought up again there. For one of the earliest examples of a TV anime based on a visual novel, it still holds up pretty well. The animation relies on a lot of stills, and the pacing is slower, but it never once felt like it was going to lose me.

Multi was by far the best part of the show, but I generally liked all the characters. Lemmy in particular was great for what few scenes she was in. The romance between Akari and Hiroyuki was always there, it was just a matter of them saying it. Even Shiho had to acknowledge that. Animation can change a lot in five years, so when I start on Remember my memories tomorrow, I wonder, visually and compositionally, what the show will look like.

The specials were cute. The last one making a callback to the first episode felt like a nice way to bring things full circle. The bookstore one was the cutest - again, because of Multi.

Man, I couldn't make it through this show. The first couple of episodes are really bad and pretty boring. The dub is especially dreadful from what I remember watching.

Midonin

Man, I couldn't make it through this show. The first couple of episodes are really bad and pretty boring. The dub is especially dreadful from what I remember watching.
I went nowhere near the dub, even if the Rightstuf packaging was pretty nice. Plus the other track has Ayako Kawasumi and Yui Horie.The start was a bit on the slow side, but I'm deterred by very little.

Sometimes I honestly watch shows just to see how cute the girls are and act but I think Ill give this one a pass.

I know what you mean. I just started TSR after watching Full Metal Panic and having some initial difficulties cause I loved the first one so much.

Its ok but damn this show looks so generic. Has some cuties in it though which is what really matter I guess.

From what I heard about this LN it's far from generic and the Protagonist is quite different from your usual MC, so try not judge first appearances.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
The problem with Nidaime is that it has this gender-queer character that they have absolutely no idea what they're doing with.
The arc has been pretty clear and obvious in the manga. I don't really know what you mean. The anime has its own set of problems because it tries to wrap things up on its own by dismantling Hato's uncertainty through a belittling club vote. Nidaime is kind of a crap anime because it trivializes a bunch of stuff and fails to really capture what's going on in the manga.
It's a character who may or may not be trans and may or may not be gay acting in a manner that is explicitly in service of some otaku-stereotype.
If your problem is that the character has difficulties coming to terms with either of these that's pretty...weird. I don't know that Hato is a boiler plate sterotype, much more one that solely exists to serve otaku when he is essentially the protagonist.

Gbraga

Wow, what a lame way to end the anime. Please buy The End of Oreimo.

Also didn't like how
their backstory was basically "I'VE ALWAYS LOVED YOU, ONII-CHAN, YOU JUST PUSHED ME AWAY, BUT I'VE BEEN WAITING FOR YOU!". I think it would be better if it was more subtle, they just went their ways as life went on, no "I'll love you forever", they just lost their intimacy and learned to love each other again.

I'm ready for the OVAs, don't think I'll watch all of them today, but at least the first one. I'm ready, let's do this.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The arc has been pretty clear and obvious in the manga. I don't really know what you mean. The anime has its own set of problems because it tries to wrap things up on its own by dismantling Hato's uncertainty through a belittling club vote. Nidaime is kind of a crap anime because it trivializes a bunch of stuff and fails to really capture what's going on in the manga.
If your problem is that the character has difficulties coming to terms with either of these that's pretty...weird. I don't know that Hato is a boiler plate sterotype, much more one that solely exists to serve otaku when he is essentially the protagonist.

Not that I think Wandering Son is the best thing in the world, considering the last like 30 chapters of the manga, but at least it's a book with a clear vision for the character.

I really don't know how much of Hato is supposed to be fetish fuel for Madarame and how much is supposed to be a serious consideration of sexuality or gender identity. Perhaps if Hato x Rame actually happens without any irony, then I'll be ready to eat crow. But as it stands, the doujin seem more interesting than the actual book itself.

Midonin

Pretty Rhythm All Star Selection

Knowing what the movie was, I really should've known what this was going to be going in. Reruns. And it begins with a rerun of the very first episode, which I already saw. I suppose I can use this to catch up on some aspects of Dear My Future that I never saw. I understand that they need time to swap out the arcade machines for the big overhaul in the summer and this is a way to stall for time... but I'm going to watch it anyway, I just can't really review it.

I like the wraparound segments with the three past protagonists and the future trainee talking with each other, even if it is Flash animationish and also feels like it's borrowing Aikatsu's "lesson of the day" for the end. Still, I get to hear Emiri Katou, Kana Asumi and Rumi Ookubo bantering with each other.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I really don't know how much of Hato is supposed to be fetish fuel for Madarame and how much is supposed to be a serious consideration of sexuality or gender identity. Perhaps if Hato x Rame actually happens without any irony, then I'll be ready to eat crow. But as it stands, the doujin seem more interesting than the actual book itself.
Hato exists as much more than "fetish fuel" for Madrame, and their interactions are mostly limited and aren't treated as moments of fanservice. There are multiple love interests set up for both Madrame and Hato, they do not exist in a bubble with each other. There is nothing "ironic" about the possibility of them getting together, and it tends to be the conclusion that is being leaned on.

CorvoSol

For what it's worth, Yamato is not a mech show!

Of course not. A mecha show winning AOTY that I didn't watch that year? That's crazy.

It's just that, of the anime I've seen with warships doing battle, they were either mecha shows or Glass Fleet. Granted I watched BSG and Star Wars so there's that, too, but in anime mecha was the first point of reference in my head.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
You should watch Legend of the Galactic Heroes next, Corvo.

Syrinx

Magical Girl Pretty Sammy TV 6

"Who's that?" "Oh that's an evil magical girl". Lol. Mihoshi's awesome. Interactions with her and the other teacher (her roommate from the OVA, can't recall her name) were great. She seemed so oblivious to her frustration and hatred for her.

Articalys

So when Netflix grabbed the streaming rights for Knights of Sidonia for the US and Europe (to be streamed three months late, at that), that left Australia in the dark... not anymore. In fact, the tables have completely turned:

http://www.madman.com.au/news/new-acquisition-knights-of-sidonia/
Debuting April 11th, exclusively on the Screening Room, Madman Entertainment will be the first in the world to stream the series in original Japanese language with English subtitles. The series will also stream with an English dub in July, 2014
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXGfgeQijHI

(via @WTK)

Gbraga

Episode 15's first half was pretty awesome, but the second half, eeeehhh

Too many flashbacks, just focus on what matters, please.

Also, needs more Ayase.

CorvoSol

Shin Getter & Black Getter <333

Mobile Suit. Of course there are manlier Mecha team ups (although Master and Gouf is still pretty manly even in general Mecha terms!) but MSes? I dunno.

I dunno, if Hyouka was too slow-paced for him...

Isn't LotGH 200 episodes or something? I don't yeah, I don't really like 200 episode series. (But you watch Gundam!) I know and have you heard me talk about it?

Indeed, all the others self-insert gary stu look like little kids compared to him.

Wait we're not trash talking Sousuke Sagara here, are we? Cuz I'll fight you.

Jarmel

Banned
Star Driver 15-

Well damn, that's a bad day. You find out that your crush has no interest in you, your skank ass mother comes back after abandoning you, you get in a fight with your sister, you try to leave the island to avoid your mother but find out you're trapped, you get some bullshit responsibilities dumped on you, and at the end of the day, you get kidnapped/abducted.

Welp.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Magical Girl Pretty Sammy TV 6

"Who's that?" "Oh that's an evil magical girl". Lol. Mihoshi's awesome. Interactions with her and the other teacher (her roommate from the OVA, can't recall her name) were great. She seemed so oblivious to her frustration and hatred for her.
Actually, when they adapted the Tenchi OVA into a TV show they pretty much split Mihoshi's character in half. TV Mihoshi, her more airheaded side, is one half. Kiyone, her more competent side, is the other. Both were assigned as partners in the Galaxy Police with Kiyone perpetually frustrated by Mihoshi. This dynamic was carried into the Sammy OVA and Sammy TV.

What type of MC would you rather have a wimpy snooze complainer or a cold blooded op protagonist?

For me it would be a cold blooded MC as it would make things a fair more interesting and dynamic for me.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
What type of MC would you rather have a wimpy snooze complainer or a cold blooded op protagonist?

For me it would be a cold blooded MC as it would make things a fair more interesting and dynamic for me.
Need examples.
Isn't LotGH 200 episodes or something? I don't yeah, I don't really like 200 episode series. (But you watch Gundam!) I know and have you heard me talk about it?

Look, Corvo, I don't really care what kind of stuff you like or don't like.

Watch Legend of the Galactic Heroes.

jape

Neo Member
That's not really an apples to apples comparison. I think Corvo would take to a political/war drama more readily than Hyouka's slice of life and mundane mysteries.

LoGH also has two movies that set the tone pretty well if he doesn't want to jump head first into the series. On the other hand though he did just post about not liking big casts lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom