• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter-Spring 2014 Anime |OT3| People incapable of guilt usually do have a good time

Status
Not open for further replies.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Yami and the Hat and whatever 1

Yup. Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep. This right here is gonna be the one. This is gonna be the show that breaks me. I can feel it. In mah bones. A storm's a comin. Any show that can't be bothered to stick to anything resembling chronological order this early on is gonna break me.

I'm old now. And weak. This show is the dragon, and I'm an ailing Beowulf.

tN0Rnom.gif
tN0Rnom.gif
tN0Rnom.gif

CorvoSol

Here are ten new characters introduced in the space of a minute. The ugly ones are russians. The "cool" ones are Japanese!

AND THAT ONE IS A DARK ELF.

Yup. Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep. This right here is gonna be the one. This is gonna be the show that breaks me. I can feel it. In mah bones. A storm's a comin. Any show that can't be bothered to stick to anything resembling chronological order this early on is gonna break me.

What's this? Another show that I never watched but is apparently so batshit insane that it's going to break Corvo again?

*grabs popcorn*

CorvoSol

Wait am I supposed to know this witch girl? How does she know Hadzuki? When did they meet? I thought we just left the apartment to find lesbian sister? Did half this episode just happen off screen or something?

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Toradora Series Review

Man, I almost missed this. Glad I went back and looked for it. :D

So I can completely understand why you didn't care for the ending. But let me at least try to explain what the ending was going for so maybe you won't think it's "philosophical crap". Maybe.

The whole theme of the show is "running away from your problems". We see it right at the beginning with Ryuji trying to change his appearance in order to "run away" from his father's legacy. Ami transfers to Ryuji's school and stops modeling in order to run away from a creepy stalker. Taiga lives on her own in a trashed (until Ryuji cleans it up, at least) apartment because she can't stand living with either of her parents. Kitamura runs away from home and drops out of the student council so he won't have to face his feelings for President whatever her name is. Everyone in Toradora is running away from something. And at the end of the show, Taiga finally realizes that she can't keep running from her problems with her parents. Her relationship with her father is already broken beyond repair, due to him being a horrible person and all. But she can at least salvage her relationship with her mother. Hence why she leaves Ryuji and the rest to go live with her.

Now, do I think the show handled this perfectly? Noooooo, not at all. Like I said before, the LN handled this much better, only having Taiga go away for three months instead of over a year. It's a little unrealistic to think that two people as in love as Ryuji and Taiga were would go an entire year apart without seeing each other once. Granted, the show didn't explicitly say this, but it's fair to assume that in that year, they didn't see each other or even talk very much. Which is kinda silly and makes less and less sense the more you think about it. But whatever, anime drama.

My point here is that while I can totally understand why someone wouldn't care for the ending, at least try to understand what the author was going for. A message about why you shouldn't run away from your problems.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Wait am I supposed to know this witch girl? How does she know Hadzuki? When did they meet? I thought we just left the apartment to find lesbian sister? Did half this episode just happen off screen or something?
Don't expect coherency. This show won't give it easily.

Also, almost none of those named characters you just met appear after the next episode.

CorvoSol

He just rips her shirt open and then laughs like a mad man. And she sits there and blushes. What kind of ultimate weapon blushes because her shirt got torn? Shouldn't she use some judo and disarm him or something?

WHAT THE FUCK DID THE SECOND HALF OF THAT EPISODE HAVE TO DO WITH THE FIRST HALF?

Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei - Yoku Wakaru Mahouka 01-02

t1zosRBl.jpg

Fairly interesting to learn more about this world before watching the full TV series.

Already expect drama from the magic class system and good to see how magic work is basically a barrage of technoblabble.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
How do you guys watch your anime, do you wait until it's finished airing or do you just watch every episode a week when you get the time.

It's an even split. Most people in Animegaf are perpetually following new shows while chipping away at their endless backlog. The wider Anime watching community on GAF, however, follow one or two mainstream shows like JoJo and Titan every week. A few of us only watch completed shows, like HItokage.

Tenumi

Banned
Every season, I'm like "everything looks terrible, time for a backlog season", but by the time the first episodes air I'm watching 4 or 5 shows from the new season.

Lurky

Every season, I'm like "everything looks terrible, time for a backlog season", but by the time the first episodes air I'm watching 4 or 5 shows from the new season.

Yeah I'm pretty much like that too. Either that or I skip an entire season.

cajunator

Banned
What's this? Another show that I never watched but is apparently so batshit insane that it's going to break Corvo again?

*grabs popcorn*

Yes. thats exactly the kind of show this is.

Dont try to make sense of it too much Corvy you'll just hurt yourself.

How do you guys watch your anime, do you wait until it's finished airing or do you just watch every episode a week when you get the time.

I watch a small handful week to week on CR, but a much larger amount is stuff I already own. My physical anime collection fills my room like a library so theres something from every genre in there to watch when the mood catches me. I usually fall way behind on most new shows until I buy it and then marathon it or watch a few episodes with a friend.

cnet128

Banned
Sekai Seifuku: Bouryaku no Zvezda 11

The Asuta and Renge pairing is so sweet. And
Natasha's tears
come in pretty useful, huh.

Now, time to crush
Asuta's demon dad
!

Lurky

Sekai Seifuku: Bouryaku no Zvezda 11

The Asuta and Renge pairing is so sweet. And
Natasha's tears
come in pretty useful, huh.

Now, time to crush
Asuta's demon dad
!

I hope that Asuta has
a final showdown with Miki and kicks her ass.
As for
his dad, I think we all know that Kate will destroy him.

Jarmel

Banned
Nisekoi 11-

This would be a much better show if they cut out the love rectangle shit and just focus on the relationship between Chitoge and Raku.

Syrinx

popcorn.gif

NIsekoi - 11

i've figured it out , the secret of the promise 10 years ago !

Raku actually made a promise with both girls !
it all make sense now .

Unless the writter is doing a trainwreck-like job.

was that magical warfare show any good or bland as it looked?

it's bland ..oh it's bland... i guess the best part of the show is the ending animation + song

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Hyakka Ryouran Samurai Girls - 1-12 [Season 1 END]

Decided to check this out after Ryuukan's recommendation. While it's your typical harem crud, the male lead at least realizes his denseness towards his female companions and makes the attempt to right his wrongs. All the female characters were solid for the most part, though it would probably be difficult for me to rank them aside from Gisen (who's da besss). Surprisingly enjoyable series with a male lead that doesn't make me want to kill myself. Will watch the specials next before starting season 2.

Butt Attack Punisher Girl Gautaman + R

Hilarious OVA that tugs at my heart strings as
Mari is SO FUCKING BLIND BY LOVING THE PIECE OF SHIT MALE VILLAIN THAT SHE CAN'T RECOGNIZE UNF UNF UNF SAORI'S FEELINGS.
Well, that's true until R where
Saori slips her hands into Mari's panties for some fingerwork.
But then any
chance of a happy ending is snatched away from you near the end.
Booooooooo!

Strike Witches Movie

Absolutely amazing. Renewed my hype in Strike Witches
as I was super bummed with Miyafuji losing her powers in Season 2, which she got back in this installment!
. So many OTPs and waifu moments I thought my heart was going to explode. And getting a brief look at the 502 squad has gotten me hopeful that we'll be seeing them as the stars in the coming season this fall. Please let it be so!

trejo

I knew there was a reason I felt like posting here today. T'was fate.

SDBurton

Hyakka Ryouran Samural Girls Special - 01 *1 minute in*

Has Chet seen these? Paging Chet Rippo, paging Chet Rippo!

SDBurton

Corvo, as one who's usually down for anything that has yuri, this is the show that I can make an exception for. Don't do it man, my heart has yet to heal from this one. ;_;

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Yeah I'm pretty much like that too. Either that or I skip an entire season.

I think I might actually skip this upcoming season, with the exception of Puchimas S2. There's some stuff that looks good, but nothing that's really jumping out at me as a "must watch". Plus I was already starting to feel burned out at the end of LAST season, and I ended up picking up three shows, along with the three two-cour shows I had carrying over from Fall, two shorts, and a backlog show (Chuuni S1). So yeah, might not end up watching anything for Spring (again, besides Puchimas S2, because whatever, it's a short).

EDIT: Shit, forgot about Jojo. Might watch that, yeah. There's a couple others I *might* watch, I guess. No Game No Life looks like it could be entertainingly dumb, and Mekaku City Actors because SHAFT.

Lurky

I think I might actually skip this upcoming season, with the exception of Puchimas S2. There's some stuff that looks good, but nothing that's really jumping out at me as a "must watch". Plus I was already starting to feel burned out at the end of LAST season, and I ended up picking up three shows, along with the three two-cour shows I had carrying over from Fall, two shorts, and a backlog show (Chuuni S1). So yeah, might not end up watching anything for Spring (again, besides Puchimas S2, because whatever, it's a short).

Yeah next season is definitely a backlog season for me too. I might catch some of the shows if they end up being really good though.

Midonin

Happiness Charge Precure! 08

Cure of the Week is Bukki! Good choice.

Festival episodes are fairly staple by now, but this one was a lot of fun. Everyone treated Hime like Alice in Kinmosa. ("Foreigners are cool!"). Iona/Fortune still doesn't like Hime for whatever reason. The best part of the episode was the montage at the start. We got to see Precure around the world. Most of them are national stereotypes - the French are elegant, the Americans are cowboys and Indians - but this is the first series really operating on a worldwide scale. Also, Yes 5's Mika Masuko had a major part in the episode as a TV reporter. She hasn't changed at all.

Next week:
CURE HONEY. YUYU!

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
It's an even split. Most people in Animegaf are perpetually following new shows while chipping away at their endless backlog. The wider Anime watching community on GAF, however, follow one or two mainstream shows like JoJo and Titan every week. A few of us only watch completed shows, like HItokage.
Hey, currently watching Kill la Kill and Happiness Charge Precure week to week!

cnet128

Banned
Mushishi 1

The time has come for me to attempt to catch up on this show before the new season starts. How successful I'll be I'm not sure, but I'll give it a go. Might try to keep my impressions relatively short so I can get through the episodes faster.

Anyway, this show is giving me quite similar vibes to Kino no Tabi, although clearly it has a more overtly supernatural bent. The main character couldn't be more different from Kino in some ways, but he has that same feeling of the wise, honest and friendly but detached traveller who has seen enough in his travels not to be fazed by any strange things he might encounter.

And it's a good thing he isn't, because there certainly seem to be some extremely strange things in this world. A boy who can
create life simply by drawing it
? That's certainly quite the phenomenon to open a series with. Looking forward to seeing what other outlandish things this series will have to offer.

Lain

Just saw the Psycho-Pass 2 teaser and it makes me pretty excited. I hope the first series sells enough over here so there's gonna be enough interest for this one to be brought over as well when the time comes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom