• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter-Spring 2014 Anime |OT3| People incapable of guilt usually do have a good time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Space Dandy 12
A very funny episodes though a pretty trope filled episode though they were clone tropes. Now which one of you is a Chameleoleon

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
:(

Honestly I wouldn't really post. I'm not someone who wants to talk just for the sake of talking. Twitters 40 character limit would just be a pain as well.

Do you remember Hitokage saying that him and I had talked through PM's where I was recommending Hyouka to him? I don't remember how the conversation initially started but we switched over to talking about video games and different titles we liked or some experiences we had.

The threads are more like a bunch of different conversations at once so I hadn't really talked to anyone here more one on one about games or anime other than with Chet and Uraizen briefly. Before we finished, our PM's had gotten to be a few paragraphs long.

It was kind of fun and with twitters 40 character limit or so, having those kinds of conversations would be impossible. Plus I already have a NeoGaf account anyway.
It's actually 140 characters, and you can cheat by simply doing multiple tweets in a row. I personally don't find the limit that constraining since I prefer to keep it concise to begin with.

Exactly, yeah. I'm not stalking anyone, I just remember reading different things in the thread.

How about Varion? Does anyone remember them? They were a fan of Heartcatch and had a Tsubomi and Erika avatar. While they've posted elsewhere on the forum they only posted here in the thread a few times around when Doki Doki started airing, so about a year ago.

Master Milk? Remember when he used to post in the anime threads? He had My Little Pony avatars where the girls tails were shaped more like making a heart and he would alternate between them. From what I can remember he was kind of like Chet before Chet.

Stuff like that I guess.
It's kind of fun to needlessly make a big deal about it, though. Oh no, memory!

All those talented fan artists out there in the world and I didn't find any pictures of Spoor dressed like Sailor Venus or Minako dressed in Spoor's Abh outfit. :(
Maybe a pallette swap will work here.

Saikin, Imouto no Yousa ga Okashiinda ga 12 END

Hahahaha. What a troll ending. This was a fun series. Looking forward to the ova. Hoping for a season 2 as well. It's pretty raunchy but it's also pretty funny and the characters are pretty likable.

Gazoinks

Kemonozume 8
KWKFCATl.jpg

The best of all the character designs

Toshihiko is master of chair-fu
and being tossed around by Yuka while unable to move. Poor guy.

Anyway, solid episode.
It's nice that that Gakuto showed a nicer side of him. I mean, he's still an asshole, but at the end he sacrificed himself to protect Toshihiko and Yuka. And he even had a little banter with Toshihiko! Probably could do with a "sorry I psychologically tortured you" greeting card if he's not dead though.

So it looks like Ooba is somehow behind this, although I don't know what he's really up to. He does seem to have the Kemonozume though! I knew that dude was too creepy to trust.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Reretraction. I am a dumb dumb and the mods are watching.

Stay in line, proles, or it's room 101 for you.

Noirulus

Yondemasuyo, Azazel-san Z - ep. 1 - 8

Man, this season has been extremely disappointing so far. I feel like the show is either trying too hard to be funny or not trying hard enough. Not even Sakuma can save most of these episodes...

:(

edit:

WTF IS THIS SHIT

THIS IS NOT FUNNY
AND STOP VIOLATING MY WAIFU'S SPACE YOU PERVERTED BASTARD

Tuck

Anyone a fan of Magi: Kingdom of Magic?

I freaking love this show. Just about halfway through the second season and its so entertaining. Its funny, good action, lovable characters and an intriguing story. Also an interesting setting.

Didn't expect to like it so much.

EDIT: Judging by that blurb in the OP, do people typically not like the show? I love it so far.

Narag

I freaking love this show. Just about halfway through the second season and its so entertaining. Its funny, good action, lovable characters and an intriguing story. Also an interesting setting.

EDIT: Judging by that blurb in the OP, do people typically not like the show? I love it so far.

Think consensus was it was inferior to the manga. Quite a few were hyped going into it until the production choices & snafus started to diminish the experience.

Tuck

Think consensus was it was inferior to the manga. Quite a few were hyped going into it until the production choices & snafus started to diminish the experience.

Ah, never read the manga so don't have anything to compare it to.

The fan service is a bit much at times, but overall its highly entertaining.

duckroll

The Kingdom of Magic is pretty good. The quality dropped off a lot in the last few weeks because the end of the arc in the manga was pretty drawn out shounen power spamming stuff and the anime's production schedule seems to have caught up with it, but the entire middle chunk of the series was great stuff. It's a way better adaptation than The Labyrinth of Magic was, which is what most people disliked.

Branduil

The Wind Rises

This is the most unique film Miyazaki has made in his entire career. I don't think it's the best, but it's definitely up there, but what makes the film really special is how honest it is. I didn't really think Miyazaki had it in him to ground himself with this sort of story, which seems so unlike the sort of stories he usually tells. Age clearly hasn't slowed him down a bit in terms of having something worthwhile to say.

For a film that's really just about a guy's life, dreams, ambitions, and love, there's still quite a few fantastical elements about it. It certainly isn't a Takahata film, but it never tries to be that. The pace is quick and brisk, even if sometimes things don't really happen. There are flashes of drama, and there's almost always something interesting happening at any given time. But somehow it always manages to feel relatable, human, and honest.

The honesty is something which really struck a chord with me. The entire film felt like Miyazaki's way of saying "these are the people who lived in this time, these were their hopes and dreams, this is how they lived, this is how they loved" without needing to apologize for anything or downplay it. This isn't a propaganda film or a pro or anti war film, it's a period film about people who happened to live between world wars and some of their perspectives and contributions to that era.

Another thing which really stuck out to me was how confident the direction was. The film seamlessly transits through months or years without having to use on screen text or montages. There are many scenes which have no dialogue at all, and simply show extended moments of people doing something without forcing conversation or narration. It's pretty rare to see an animated film with direction like this, and it's not a technique Miyazaki frequently applies either, so that was pretty refreshing.

Lots of other things about the film is great - the music, the background animation, the effects, the crowd scenes, the subtle character animation, the extravagant fantasy sequences, and even Anno's performance. I'm sure lots of other people have praised all the technical aspects more than enough though, so I don't think I need to repeat it over again. Regarding Anno's casting though, I have to say - Miyazaki somehow made it work after all. As skeptical as I was, and as jarring as the first transition was when he went from a kid's voice to an adult voice, it worked for the show. Never got in the way for me, and while it's a bit distinctive as a voice, it is believable as an adult, and the conversations felt pretty natural.

tl;dr - Good movie, go watch it.

Now that you've watched it, I'm interested to hear your thoughts on my theory.

Link Man

Banned
Toradora 2

Well, that was a bit more palatable than the first episode, but now it's heading into romcom territory. Oh well, it's entertaining, so I'll stick with it.

Sad that crunchyroll only has it in 480p, though.

After War Gundam X: 22-23

Well so much for the team having the upper hand.

So the entire team gets captured on Zonda island and have to make their escape. And guess who screws up the whole thing? Why Ennil El of course! And after the Frieden was nice enough to help you from your damaged mech too you deciving little wretch! Did you really think the people on the island that tried to kill you after you fled the island would let anybody leave? UGGGGH.

Funny little thing happened with the subs on episode 23. Garrod clearly said "Thank You" in english while the subs said: "Arigato". Thought that was amusing.

Man, it's been a while since the Sattelite Cannon was actually fired. It ALMOST got fired in episode 22, but it stopped as soon as Jamil surrendered. I have a hunch it will fire next episode though as that seems to be the episode where Garrod finally gets the Double X that's supposed to be the main feature of this show.

Branduil

Toradora 2

Well, that was a bit more palatable than the first episode, but now it's heading into romcom territory. Oh well, it's entertaining, so I'll stick with it.

Sad that crunchyroll only has it in 480p, though.

If it's any consolation a higher res would just be an upscale anyway.

Just got back from seeing Giovanni's Island, and I really enjoyed it. I might write up a more detailed review later, but suffice it to say that there were quite a few powerfully moving moments in it. It took an interesting "slice-of-life" kind of approach to the material - there are dramatic beats and arcs but they're framed as moments in the life of Junpei/Giovanni as his world goes through the profound change of Soviet occupation as opposed to what would be a more conventional dramatic handling. In fact, if I were to make a criticism of the film, it would be that it felt somewhat disjointed in spots - a lot of fades to black, as in the film Persepolis - as it covers a fairly large time span over a few years. But overall the construction of the film was solid, and I really did appreciate the observational perspective.

The film is quite beautiful - the Galactic Railroad fantasy sequences are attractively designed, and there's quite a bit of expressive animation and layouts. The lead background artist, Santiago Montiel, is an Argentinian living in Paris, and he brought a unique flair to the art. I appreciate it when Japanese productions bring in a direct visual influence from another culture, such as this and Kevin Aymeric's work on Ping Pong; it brings a breath of fresh air.

There was a question-and-answer session after the film with scriptwriter and producer Yoshiki Sakurai, who spoke fluent English. I recorded it, so I'll try to transcribe the whole thing, but he talked about how he tried to make the film as rooted in reality as he could, having extensive interviews with a survivor of the actual occupation of the island. He also talked about the main theme of the film being how fantasy can be used to deal with reality; hence the use of Night on the Galactic Railroad.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
SDBurton , you should pay close attention to the Ed animation and yeah muneakira his more useless than useless in this season , but you should like it , OTP everywhere !!

Ooooh I'll be sure to pay special attention to the ED! Thanks!

====================================

Recently My Sister Is Unusual - 11-12 [END]

Over the course of its run the episodes became a lot tamer than what we got in the first 3 and because of that it honestly got boring fairly quick. Aside from the brief moments of yuri pandering (which is few and far between) there was nothing really notable about this show. Would not recommend.

Branduil

Studio Pablo's background work on this, what I can see of it anyway, looks stylistically similar to their work on Flowers of Evil in its depiction of a grimy city.

Otherwise the trailer is rather, er, over-the-top.

I don't understand the point of hiring Studio Pablo and then covering their work in ugly filters.

duckroll

Now that you've watched it, I'm interested to hear your thoughts on my theory.

Wow. I think you should lay off the drugs. Lol. At first I thought you were going for an angle which I also felt during the film, but then it just got weird and nonsensical! :D

Wind Rises spoilers:
There's no way to justify that Nahoko isn't a real character in the story, simply because there are too many scenes where other characters actually interact with her. Narratively, there's nothing supporting it.

But I do think there's a running theme in the story that Jiro is an escapist and he does talk to himself and see/hear things which aren't there. Both the mysterious foreigners in the film - one in his dream and one in the hotel, seem like nothing more than self-affirmations of his internal ideology and things he was feeling himself.

In the end, "the wind rises" just represents the best years in Jiro's life as he feels his dream coming to life and follows his love and his ambition. The moment he felt the wind change was the moment his Zero was completed and Nahoko died. Thematically they represent the same thing - the end of everything he was truly passionate about in the world, but I don't think that has to mean she wasn't every bit as real as his plane.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Lupin III: Bye Bye Liberty Crisis

Worst film-length anime I've watched since ICE. I'm so, so, so, so sorry to Kirb, Theonik, and Narag.

Ask MadP about it.
Sakura is a girl with extraordinary luck. To balance out the world a fortune god is sent down to take away some of her luck but its not so easy.

Wait, why am I associated with this show? :lol

I was pretty opinionated about the humor when it was airing, but that was about it.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
ace of diamond 24

taiwan glasses. You don't really see many taiwan folks in anime.

Megane Megane.

I think its like obligatory for every sports anime to have a pair of journalists covering the sport - one female and irregular either physically and/or emotionally and then an older male who pretty much exists to reign in the crazy lady.

Branduil

Wow. I think you should lay off the drugs. Lol. At first I thought you were going for an angle which I also felt during the film, but then it just got weird and nonsensical! :D

Wind Rises spoilers:
There's no way to justify that Nahoko isn't a real character in the story, simply because there are too many scenes where other characters actually interact with her. Narratively, there's nothing supporting it.

But I do think there's a running theme in the story that Jiro is an escapist and he does talk to himself and see/hear things which aren't there. Both the mysterious foreigners in the film - one in his dream and one in the hotel, seem like nothing more than self-affirmations of his internal ideology and things he was feeling himself.

In the end, "the wind rises" just represents the best years in Jiro's life as he feels his dream coming to life and follows his love and his ambition. The moment he felt the wind change was the moment his Zero was completed and Nahoko died. Thematically they represent the same thing - the end of everything he was truly passionate about in the world, but I don't think that has to mean she wasn't every bit as real as his plane.

It seems obvious to me that his escapist nature comes from Miyazaki himself, among other things. I wonder what he considers his "Zero plane."

duckroll

Availability Information
Due to production issues, episode 24 of Magi will be delayed. We will make the episode available as soon as we can. Thank you for your patience and continued support.

Thanks Crunchyroll. Thanks Aniplex. Etc. :(

---

Just got back from seeing Giovanni's Island, and I really enjoyed it. I might write up a more detailed review later, but suffice it to say that there were quite a few powerfully moving moments in it. It took an interesting "slice-of-life" kind of approach to the material - there are dramatic beats and arcs but they're framed as moments in the life of Junpei/Giovanni as his world goes through the profound change of Soviet occupation as opposed to what would be a more conventional dramatic handling. In fact, if I were to make a criticism of the film, it would be that it felt somewhat disjointed in spots - a lot of fades to black, as in the film Persepolis - as it covers a fairly large time span over a few years. But overall the construction of the film was solid, and I really did appreciate the observational perspective.

The film is quite beautiful - the Galactic Railroad fantasy sequences are attractively designed, and there's quite a bit of expressive animation and layouts. The lead background artist, Santiago Montiel, is an Argentinian living in Paris, and he brought a unique flair to the art. I appreciate it when Japanese productions bring in a direct visual influence from another culture, such as this and Kevin Aymeric's work on Ping Pong; it brings a breath of fresh air.

There was a question-and-answer session after the film with scriptwriter and producer Yoshiki Sakurai, who spoke fluent English. I recorded it, so I'll try to transcribe the whole thing, but he talked about how he tried to make the film as rooted in reality as he could, having extensive interviews with a survivor of the actual occupation of the island. He also talked about the main theme of the film being how fantasy can be used to deal with reality; hence the use of Night on the Galactic Railroad.

Thanks for the impressions! I'm definitely looking forward to the film, but I have no idea when I'll be able to watch it here. I think it's been a pretty exciting few years for character driven anime films which are grounded in a realistic setting while using fantasy elements as a form of escapism or expression of the animation medium. Wolf Children, The Wind Rises, Giovanni's Island. Definitely hope this trend continues.

I think that anime productions being more open to having foreigners work with them is great for the medium too, since Europe in particular is filled with talented animators and artists, and there are certainly more animated productions being made in Japan than anywhere else. Another good trend in the anime industry. :)

---

It seems obvious to me that his escapist nature comes from Miyazaki himself, among other things. I wonder what he considers his "Zero plane."

Hmmmm. I'm not sure if Jiro really represents Miyazaki so closely. Maybe we can interpret the message of the movie as Miyazaki's personal opinion instead - we have to live on and continue to find reasons to continue on even if our best might seem to be behind us? After all, we're talking about a guy who keeps "retiring" and then coming back, only to prove that he does in fact have more to contribute. If he does have a "Zero plane" of his own though, I would say it is probably the Nausicaa manga.

Noirulus

Yondemasuyo, Azazel-san Z - 09 - 10

Christ, what a completely nonsensical episode. 13 minutes of phallic jokes is 13 minutes too much. Just terrible.

I'm going to go watch something else. Maybe Spaceship Yamato. Or Neil's Cosmos. Anything but this. Ugh...

Nafe

140 characters actually. It's restrictive that's true. But it's about organising what you want to say in distinct packets with a set topic. You can and do get some good organic discussion out of it once you get used to it and there are tools to cheat the limit too.

It's actually 140 characters, and you can cheat by simply doing multiple tweets in a row. I personally don't find the limit that constraining since I prefer to keep it concise to begin with.

Okay, but I'm still not really interested anyway.

It's kind of fun to needlessly make a big deal about it, though. Oh no, memory!

Yeah, I don't mind it as much when it's an obvious joke, it's more annoying when people are serious about it.

I forget who it was but doing the birthday thing someone never mentioned what it was in the thread and had people sending them wishes through twitter. Later they mentioned I missed it and that apparently my stalker powers weren't flawless. They weren't flawless because I never had any to begin with. I'm not going to know what your birthday is if it's only mentioned on twitter since I don't read your twitter.

I saw them on peoples MAL accounts or they posted them right here in the thread.

Maybe a pallette swap will work here.

Blonde Spoor and blue haired Minako hmm....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom