• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter-Spring 2014 Anime |OT3| People incapable of guilt usually do have a good time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shergal

Just got back from seeing Giovanni's Island, and I really enjoyed it. I might write up a more detailed review later, but suffice it to say that there were quite a few powerfully moving moments in it. It took an interesting "slice-of-life" kind of approach to the material - there are dramatic beats and arcs but they're framed as moments in the life of Junpei/Giovanni as his world goes through the profound change of Soviet occupation as opposed to what would be a more conventional dramatic handling. In fact, if I were to make a criticism of the film, it would be that it felt somewhat disjointed in spots - a lot of fades to black, as in the film Persepolis - as it covers a fairly large time span over a few years. But overall the construction of the film was solid, and I really did appreciate the observational perspective.

The film is quite beautiful - the Galactic Railroad fantasy sequences are attractively designed, and there's quite a bit of expressive animation and layouts. The lead background artist, Santiago Montiel, is an Argentinian living in Paris, and he brought a unique flair to the art. I appreciate it when Japanese productions bring in a direct visual influence from another culture, such as this and Kevin Aymeric's work on Ping Pong; it brings a breath of fresh air.

There was a question-and-answer session after the film with scriptwriter and producer Yoshiki Sakurai, who spoke fluent English. I recorded it, so I'll try to transcribe the whole thing, but he talked about how he tried to make the film as rooted in reality as he could, having extensive interviews with a survivor of the actual occupation of the island. He also talked about the main theme of the film being how fantasy can be used to deal with reality; hence the use of Night on the Galactic Railroad.

Damn, so jealous. Glad to hear it delivered, even more with a fellow countryman making a big contribution!

I'm really liking the recent trend of collaborating with foreigners and actually making use of their talent to create expressive, unique works that are rooted in the sensitivity of the artists. I honestly think it's the best thing that has happened to the industry in recent times.

Branduil

Birdy the Mighty Decode Season 1
Decided to watch this this weekend. It's a fairly interesting premise. Felt that initially both protagonists were kind of bad but as the show went on they got less on my nerves as the show went on. Birdie was reasonably likeable by the end and Tsutomi while still a fairly useless protagonist, had an interesting plot development. A lot of the side characters felt like fluff though.
I am a bit annoyed that Tsutomi didn't get to be with Nakasugi since I like them as a couple even if it was partially fake. With his body destroyed again, it sort of feels like a reset all in all

Good news, the second season is a big improvement over the first.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Kill La Kill - 23

Fucking goosebumps. Man that was GREAT.

Based Mako giving it her all to send that ship all the way to her love Ryuuko. So beautiful. ;_;

CorvoSol

So someone who knows more about Macross clue me in here: which is canon? SDFM, or DYRL? Because in Macross 7 most of the Zentradi look like the pale skinned, green haired dudes we saw in SDFM, and indeed that holds true for Macross +, too. HOWEVER, the bridge of the ship in Macross 7 has this big green head with a massive brain that looks WAY more like the Zentradi in DYRL.

Link Man

Banned
Galaxy Express 999 ep.1

Well, this is an interesting premise...

:O

;_;

...Holy Shit!

Wow, this is really good, especially for something made in the 70's!

Erigu

Space Bros end
I did not find this satisfying at all.
Anyone know where the manga picks up?
I believe the TV series stops a bit before the end of volume 19 (episode 186? don't quote me on this, it's all on my backlog at the moment).

So someone who knows more about Macross clue me in here: which is canon? SDFM, or DYRL?
Not exactly a big fan of the franchise, but I seem to remember the events of the TV series are canonical, even if some visual elements from the movie found their way / were retconned into canon.

Theonik

Lupin III: Bye Bye Liberty Crisis
Lupin III as a husbando living in New York. This could have been so good. Could have been so fun.
But no. I wanted to at least say that it's better than Fujiko. I wanted to believe. But then.
Then it dawned to me. This thing made me REMEMBER Fujiko. The pain I thought to have forgotten. Is there no peace from this nightmare. WHY DO YOU HAUNT ME STILL OWL! Fräulein Eule.
This was not as bad as Fujiko certainly. It made me ANGRY. It broke my brain. It broke me it did. Fräulein Eule
OH GOD WHY. Fräulein Eule
My brain hurts. I hurt. Is this eijofi[fi[wifdwidqiwdiw[d[w
This shit was incomprehensible and bad. Just Fräulein Eule Fräulein Eule
Fräulein Eule Fräulein Eule Fräulein Eule Fräulein Eule Fräulein Eule Fräulein Eule

duckroll

Hmmm... more Rin in Ufotable's F/SN:

faSYPGC.jpg
ZODfoGR.jpg

Sorry, won't be watching Clannad. I've seen the faces.

That's a pretty shallow reason to be honest.

I would've missed out on soooooo many great anime if I just didn't watch it based on art style or character design.

Trust me I would not recommend this to you if I didnt think you'd like it. There is crazier art styles out there.

Gazoinks

Kemonozume 9
l3FU5x3.gif

I figured the couple were going to die at some point, and I knew what the medicine was going to be as soon as it was mentioned, but still! Damn. Those two just cannot catch a break. And now Ooba in his creepy Mickey Mouse costume has got Yuka alone, so y'know that's good.

I really liked a lot of the imagery in this episode, especially
the salt lake, the red rain during the fight scene, and Yuka looking inhumanly wan as she stumbled around in the forest. AND OOBA'S GIANT CREEPY FLOURESCENT LIPS. THIS GUY.

I will probably finish this series tomorrow if I have time. Good times.

That's a pretty shallow reason to be honest.

I would've missed out on soooooo many great anime if I just didn't watch it based on art style or character design.

Trust me I would not recommend this to you if I didnt think you'd like it. There is crazier art styles out there.

My problem with Clannad's art style is that it's not crazy enough! :p That's an exaggeration obviously, but I'm not really a fan of it. It's just sort of boring, and everyone's eyes are too big. You get used to it quickly though, I wouldn't consider it that much of a stumbling block.

Toradora 2

Well, that was a bit more palatable than the first episode, but now it's heading into romcom territory. Oh well, it's entertaining, so I'll stick with it.

Sad that crunchyroll only has it in 480p, though.

But... I-It... is a RomCom....

[

My problem with Clannad's art style is that it's not crazy enough! :p That's an exaggeration obviously, but I'm not really a fan of it. It's just sort of boring, and everyone's eyes are too big. You get used to it quickly though, I wouldn't consider it that much of a stumbling block.

I have both seasons on BD and it's a very pretty anime. I know some don't like the style but I (clearly :p) don't think it affects it in any significant way and actually love it towards After Story. But the thing we praise Clannad for is it's story and characters. It would be a shame to see someone not watch Clannad for it's art style.

I loathe The Tatami Galaxy's art style but I put up with it because in a weird way it's entertaining.

Narag

So someone who knows more about Macross clue me in here: which is canon? SDFM, or DYRL? Because in Macross 7 most of the Zentradi look like the pale skinned, green haired dudes we saw in SDFM, and indeed that holds true for Macross +, too. HOWEVER, the bridge of the ship in Macross 7 has this big green head with a massive brain that looks WAY more like the Zentradi in DYRL.

I wouldn't look to Macross for consistency like what you're looking for here tbh IIRC DYRL was an in-universe movie in the SDFM setting or so the internet led me to believe. They attempt to refilm it later on in 7.

Princess Minerva

Well if you like seeing women in armor become Cutie Mask, Bondage Mask, and a lot of girls love (because it's filled with girls) then by all means, this is something for you.

Defuser

I'm sorry guys but Sword Art Online hollow fragment game have English subs......english subs!!!....despite of me making fun of SAO.....I want to buy it......forgive me animegaf.

Pooya

The game looks like shit :\ more like a PSP game ported up.

GuP game actually looks like it could be fun, maybe same thing happens to that...

Jewelpet Tinkle 17

XZP4hlOl.jpg

Akari gets to go all doki-doki with her crush who I'm still not sure if he a magician or has a twin brother who's a magician.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom