• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter-Spring 2014 Anime |OT3| People incapable of guilt usually do have a good time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, so I'm trying to find some other Mecha anime to watch alongside Gundams, and I find this show called Aquarion. I check out a review for it and unfortunately the one guy who wrote the one review for this show on Crunchyroll completely outright spoiled the damn ending for the first one with no spoiler warnings.

So there's apparently another series called Aquarion EVOL, which takes place twelve thousand years after the first one. Is anyone familiar with this series enough to say whether it's okay to watch EVOL without watching the first one?

NeonZ

Yes, Evol can be watched by itself. In fact, it kinds of hurts a lot of what the original show did, so you might have a more positive opinion of it if you watch it without watching Aquarion. Maybe. The first half is pretty fun, the second half is badly handled drama.

duckroll

Paroru no Mirai Shima (Anime Mirai 2014)

1chi42W.jpg

That was pretty great. Similar to Little Witch Academia last year, this is a self contained fun filled fantasy adventure focused on showing off creative animation and wacky antics. It felt a lot like an old Looney Toons short at times. There isn't a lot to the story or characters, but it's incredibly energetic and filled with Kameda's distinctive visual style of animation. Lots of sketchy lines, great character motion, super colorful art, amazing backgrounds, and just totally free flowing and fun. It's furry as fuck, but I don't even care. Animals, humans, birds, dogs, boats, bikes, cars, you name it, it's incorporated in some fun way into the short.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Sakura Trick - 11

Finally! Now that
Mitsuki is aware of her true feelings for Haruka hopefully she'll have both the courage and opportunity to confess to her!

And I'm still waiting for Kaede x Yuzu to happen, COME ON ALREADY!

cnet128

Banned
And what, have a light novel from a female perspective? It'd never sell!

ImoCho is largely from a female perspective, and it's about as close as you can get to an LN without actually being one!

Mushishi 6

Existential as fuck.
Experiencing a new lifetime every single day...I can certainly see how that could be addictive.

Also, that dad was such an ass.

Sakura Trick - 11

Finally! Now that
Mitsuki is aware of her true feelings for Haruka hopefully she'll have both the courage and opportunity to confess to her!

And I'm still waiting for Kaede x Yuzu to happen, COME ON ALREADY!

Glad I'm not the only one wondering why this hasn't happened yet.

Yes, Evol can be watched by itself. In fact, it kinds of hurts a lot of what the original show did, so you might have a more positive opinion of it if you watch it without watching Aquarion. Maybe. The first half is pretty fun, the second half is badly handled drama.

Well that's good to know, I guess. For all I know I could be watching someone's equivalent Astral Ocean if that's the case. Well I might as well watch it since I'm always up for some Super Robot (It is super robot right?) and that I was spoiled the ending to the first one.

After War Gundam X - 24

Garrod acquires the Double X, and it's freaking invincible. Like DAMN. Garrod completley wipes out the enemy force coming after him without so much as a scratch. He's come a long way from the homeless, useless boy he was when this series started.

Speaking of coming a long way, I can't believe that
he actually fired the Sattelite Cannon at the island to scare off the troops. Old Garrod would have killed them all without so much as a second thought had it not been for Katoc, who died in the line of duty like a true soldier. Well...at least now he can be with his family and his death wasn't in vain.

Seeing where this show went, I can somewhat forgive it now for those first few episodes. It's gotten a lot better.

cnet128

Banned
Mushishi 7

Wow. Such rainbow. Very colours. Much mushi.

How does the author even come up with all these stories that are so simple yet so beautiful? I liked the way this one was framed in the first half - there's something naturally poetic about the scenario of three strangers sharing stories while taking shelter from a storm, and then there was the separate frame within that of the father telling his fantastical story to his little boy, the only one who would listen.

And then there was everything the episode had to say about the purpose of life, how this man was wasting his life away chasing after something essentially meaningless in order to escape from the emptiness of his own existence, but even that may not be truly meaningless because the only real meaning in life is what we choose to make of it, and at the end of it all he not only managed to find something beautiful, but to take inspiration from the experience and put it to good use.

This show.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Nobunagun Episode 12:

I sense they are going to give us a read the manga ending for this, but anyway, I don't think the creators of this show really understood how Jack The Ripper really worked.
His spirit should not be telling others to save people.
Anyway, the filter action is once again serviceable and good to see that they got creative here at certain points.

CorvoSol

Because it hurts so good?

Why does it feel so good?

After War Gundam X - 24

Garrod acquires the Double X, and it's freaking invincible. Like DAMN. Garrod completley wipes out the enemy force coming after him without so much as a scratch. He's come a long way from the homeless, useless boy he was when this series started.

It wouldn't really be a mid-season upgrade Gundam if it wasn't hilariously overpowered.

Log Horizon[end] (s1)

Ending arc wasnt as memorable as the time spent previously with the goblins marching on shore and all the other events of that arc but it was a decent close out. Log Horizon was a rather alright experience at times featuring some great moments when it too did make me want to kind of live out in its world. I would probably side more along the lines of the Tohya brigade going in and learning the in and outs of the game from the noobs type of perspective and then being in his same position, or a mage like Rudy. Largely, the anime was at its best focused on their pursuits and interests and it felt like highly focused writing, with the best mix of giving out rules and strategy, while having some mighty fine action and magicks.

Anime largely failed for me whenever it was outside of that as often the tabletop politics was too dragged out and dull while any sort of romance in the anime felt out of place and awkward. Really if one was actually trapped in a game why would some of things their doing (advancing technology, trying to establish some political system, and a few more random things including experiencing depression from trying to win over another girl), be on the mind. One would be best trying to uncover the secret of the world, getting together with the mage historian and trying to reveal what happened in the outside world and working on a way to get out of Elder Tale.

Will stick around for more but I hope the following season can correct many faults and at least explore more of the brigade. Shiroe and other older characters are best left to the sides and off screen. 6/10.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Aldnoah Zero PV:

Never before have I been so conflicted watching a trailer.

Dynedom

After War Gundam X - 24

Speaking of coming a long way, I can't believe that
he actually fired the Sattelite Cannon at the island to scare off the troops. Old Garrod would have killed them all without so much as a second thought had it not been for Katoc, who died in the line of duty like a true soldier. Well...at least now he can be with his family and his death wasn't in vain.

Seeing where this show went, I can somewhat forgive it now for those first few episodes. It's gotten a lot better.

Glad someone else is enjoying Gundam X. I feel like I'm one of 3 people (outside GundamGAF of course) that have watched it.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Diamond no Ace Episode 24:

Hmmm, you don't see many Taiwanese people in anime, well, actually he is half-Taiwanese because we can't be too foreign now can we. Anyway, I rather liked this episode because in addition to the standard training stuff that is quite frankly more then a tad stale we are seeing the opponents planning against each other and incorporating that into the training.

Gbraga

Just now I decided to look up Sakura Trick's OP lyrics, and good lord. Just when I thought it couldn't get any more adorable.

Won't you kiss me?

It wouldn't really be a mid-season upgrade Gundam if it wasn't hilariously overpowered.

The Double X is another reason why I chose Gundam X as my first Gundam. I just liked the look of that thing in Gundam Musou 3, and the fact that it fires Kamehamehas from the moon.

Glad someone else is enjoying Gundam X. I feel like I'm one of 3 people (outside GundamGAF of course) that have watched it.

Gundam X is pretty good. It's been by no means amazing thus far, but I'm definetly enjoying what it's giving me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom