• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter-Spring 2014 Anime |OT3| People incapable of guilt usually do have a good time

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckroll

Noragami - Episode 12 (End)

NnXeDkc.jpg

Whoa. That was a fucking good finale. Action packed. Thrilling. Great animation. And yet it never forgets what the show has been about. In the end, while Rabo is nothing more than a distraction created to allow the anime to have a proper climatic end, he also represents the very things which Yato strives so hard not to be. It's really interesting how detestable a villain without much development can be for simply wanting to hurt Hiyori, because the show has done a great job of making the characters actually feel like people who I want to see protected and safe.

I'm really surprised at how good a series Noragami turned out to be, and I enjoyed it from beginning to end. Probably one of the most consistent and enjoyable shows BONES has produced in a while. It's going to be one to remember, that's for sure.

That's a good trailer! Anyone read the manga? What kind of story is it?

Dude becomes a ghoul, which are human-like creatures that can only survive by eating human meat. The guy is constantly wrestling with his own morals and ability to survive. It's a kind of vampireish story like Shiki with the whole "humans don't think about the lives of the meat they eat, so why should we" logic.

It's pretty good and has recently become even more actiony and battle seinenish.

cnet128

Banned
Mushishi 9

The weight of a human life.

The resolution to this one was remarkably satisfying.
The man who was willing to sacrifice his own life just to protect his village for another year was instead granted the miracle of immortality, and he used it to ensure that his village would never need to resort to such unnatural methods again, by travelling the world in search of natural ways of improving their livelihoods.

Link Man

Banned
Galaxy Express 999 ep.2

Another great episode, with a bit of existentialism thrown in. I continue to be impressed by how good this show is, especially compared to what I've seen of Captain Harlock (admittedly, only about 5 episodes of that).

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Galaxy Express 999 ep.2

Another great episode, with a bit of existentialism thrown in. I continue to be impressed by how good this show is, especially compared to what I've seen of Captain Harlock (admittedly, only about 5 episodes of that).
Ooh. You're watching this too. Been slowly watching it on and off so I'm only on episode 14.

Will try to get back into when I get back from my holiday.

Midonin

Wizard Barristers 11

Moyoyon's character design always did have a lot of blacks and reds on it. In retrospect, it seems obvious that she'd be
the devil taking on a human form.
I enjoy the giant magical robot fighting aspects, even if at times the lawyer thing feels more like a framework for the magical story that's clearly taking center stage. That's two shows by the same writer ending in a court trial. Hopefully this one goes a little smoother than Galilei Donna's did... and I liked Galilei Donna.

Andrew J.

Sawano doesn't even try anymore, he must've had a ghost producer partner from 09-11 because everything before and after that period has mostly sucked.

The music in that trailer was fine. Maybe a bit too Imperial March-y in the beginning, but otherwise perfectly adequate.

duckroll

Wizard Barristers - Episode 11 Avant Title

I watched 4 minutes of it, got to the OP, and turned it off. I'm not going to continue watching a show in this state and I think I'll just wait for the finished version to come out on blu-ray instead. This is unacceptable incomplete work. It's not even a case of anything looking bad or poorly drawn. It's simply unfinished stuff rushed to air. Within the first 4 minutes there are already countless scenes where it's clear they didn't manage to get the animation for whatever was supposed to be there done, so instead they put up a still background scene while you hear sound effects and characters doing stuff. Sometimes when characters are attacking and the animation isn't complete they loop a different effect scene which was completed instead, or cut away to someone's face, or prolong a scene of someone standing there. Simply unwatchable, and totally distracting.

Sekai Seifuku 11
So is Kate some sort of immortal being.
Yasu is a terrible person regardless of if he changes next episode. Jimon Atsuta's father is one of the worst fathers ever

Narag

Fuse: Memoirs of a Hunter Girl

This probably would have been on my AOTY list had I watched it in the right year. Beautiful visuals, great score, colorful cast, good story etc combined to make something really nice. Usually don't care for a lot of anime movies but I really liked this one. Also has the benefit of being bereft of the usual tropes or fanservice making it the easy sort of recommendation to the casual genre fan or general film watcher.

duckroll

Aren't they supposed to be like that, because of mirrors, or something?

Maybe I'm thinking of ambulances.

The logo is on the wrong side, they're all holding the guns with their left hands, the entire image looks like a derpy drawing which got mirrored for whatever reason. Compare it with this:

The POLICE logo is on the top left breast, and they're holding their rifles with their right hands.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
The logo is on the wrong side, they're all holding the guns with their left hands, the entire image looks like a derpy drawing which got mirrored for whatever reason. Compare it with this:

The POLICE logo is on the top left breast, and they're holding their rifles with their right hands.

What do you have against left-handed people you handist :(

Midonin

Saki The Nationals 11

Saki's power can crack Sae's monocle, make boobs shake and generally turn the tide of the everything. Of course the show gives us the backstories of all the players just in time for Saki to crush most of their dreams. It was a given Kiyosumi was going to ride the wave to victory - they are the main characters - but this fulfills the come back from behind underdog story that was needed.

duckroll

Looks more like an alternate take on Heaven's Feel, no reason to show Gil & Sakura if they were doing only Fate or UBW.

Don't you think it's likely to be a sort of combined narrative which takes the introduction parts of the story from Fate, the middle dramatic developments from UBW, and the climax of HF? I always thought that would probably be one of the better ways of doing it as a proper anime if there's only intended to be a singular continuity.

Wizard Barristers - Episode 11 Avant Title

I watched 4 minutes of it, got to the OP, and turned it off. I'm not going to continue watching a show in this state and I think I'll just wait for the finished version to come out on blu-ray instead. This is unacceptable incomplete work. It's not even a case of anything looking bad or poorly drawn. It's simply unfinished stuff rushed to air. Within the first 4 minutes there are already countless scenes where it's clear they didn't manage to get the animation for whatever was supposed to be there done, so instead they put up a still background scene while you hear sound effects and characters doing stuff. Sometimes when characters are attacking and the animation isn't complete they loop a different effect scene which was completed instead, or cut away to someone's face, or prolong a scene of someone standing there. Simply unwatchable, and totally distracting.

You got farther than I did. Saw that animation for Shimizu's wind magic get recycled for the third time and went "Fuck this."

The fuck, I got to the OP too and turned it off. Fucking disgusting.

WELP, looks like my contract has something in store for me.

cnet128

Banned
Mushishi 10

Life, darkness, sound, dreams, swamps, lifespan, rainbows, tides, seeds, clouds.

How many more natural phenomena can we find to base mushi on?

phaze

Hunter x Hunter 100-121

And caught up. I can only parrot the complaints about this arc's glacial pacing and the Captain Obvious narrator.

On the plus side Killua going ham in SSJ2 and the Dragon Dive were one of best moments of the show so far.

Yorknew city arc >> Greed Island >>Heavens tower>Chimera Ant>Hunter Exam

Fate\Zero 18-19

Damn he's cold.
Was convinced Natalia would make it as I didn't realise her previous appearance was flashback too. ;_;

Nisekoi 1-11

Up to this moment I've generally steered clear of the romcoms. But goddamn me if this isn't surprisingly entertaining and enjoyable. About the last place I expected to find Polish words too.

#TeamOnodera

Articalys

Noragami ep.12

Pretty good finale; nothing super extraordinary but it didn't really need to be.

One final question to everyone reading the manga that also watched this -- did anything they add for the anime contradict plot points in the manga or is that not a problem?
Fate\Zero 18-19

Damn he's cold.
Was convinced Natalia would make it as I didn't realise her previous appearance was flashback too. ;_;
Fun fact:
episode 19 aired on Mother's Day weekend.

Gazoinks

Kemonozume 10

So
Ooba is craaaazy. At least his son is a bro.

I feel bad for Kazuma. He thought he was being all cool and bringing the Kifuuken into the modern age, but he was a puppet and now he's been abandoned. And he's turning into a monster to boot!

This isn't going to end well for Rie either.

Noragami ep.12

Pretty good finale; nothing super extraordinary but it didn't really need to be.

One final question to everyone reading the manga that also watched this -- did anything they add for the anime contradict plot points in the manga or is that not a problem?

No, there is nothing contradictory. It was a really good filler arc.

Ep 12 was awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom