• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter-Spring 2014 Anime |OT3| People incapable of guilt usually do have a good time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gazoinks

Tonari no Seki-kun 12

Good move Yokoi, doing the driving test isn't worth it even for the most kawaii reward.

Is this the last episode, or is there one more?

Jarmel

Banned
Noragami 12-

Did Ando do the storyboarding for the fight sequence? It looks sorta looks like Sword of the Stranger a bit when Yato got serious and you could see the sword smears everywhere.

Noragami - Episode 12 (End)
I'm really surprised at how good a series Noragami turned out to be, and I enjoyed it from beginning to end. Probably one of the most consistent and enjoyable shows BONES has produced in a while. It's going to be one to remember, that's for sure.

Really can't emphasize the consistency of this show enough, especially coming from a studio like BONES which, in my experience at least, tends to always have issues with pacing for the majority of their shows. Noragami hit that sweet spot where it delivers on its premise and doesn't overstay its welcome, hopefully it'll act as a guideline for how they should handle their other adaptations in the future.

Definitely my pick for show of the season.

duckroll

Wizard Barristers - Episode 11

Welp. I finished the episode after all. Wish I didn't. This is probably the most incomplete episode of TV anime I've ever seen. There's probably a worse one out there, but I sure haven't seen it. Also this is extra tragic because it's an action packed episode with a great storyboarder, and amazing action animators on the episode... except almost none of their work managed to make it into this TV version. RIP. :(

---

Noragami 12-

Did Ando do the storyboarding for the fight sequence? It looks sorta looks like Sword of the Stranger a bit when Yato got serious and you could see the sword smears everywhere.

Nope. That was mostly all Masahiro Sato showing off his Yutapon Jr skills. Poor Ando was probably too busy watching his storyboard for Wizard Barristers 11 get completely wrecked by missing scenes all over the episode, replaced by looping placeholders and background stills to fill all the stuff which wasn't completed in time. Tragic.

Blusby

Don't you think it's likely to be a sort of combined narrative which takes the introduction parts of the story from Fate, the middle dramatic developments from UBW, and the climax of HF? I always thought that would probably be one of the better ways of doing it as a proper anime if there's only intended to be a singular continuity.

That could work, only thing to steer clear of so that it wouldn't be a thematic blunder and to follow up on Zero is cutting the romantic aspect of Heavens Feel. Then Shirou can fulfill his promise, also doing so would give the rest of the cast (namely the servants) more screentime to so that they can be explored. Saber, Archer, and Sakura's subplots will be clashing if they choose to meld the routes so I hope if Ufotable chooses to go down this road they won't be focusing on how to fit all of the route's themes into one package but instead build a single theme while implementing the individual route's ideas to enhance what they're trying to tell while not overpowering it.

Wizard Barristers - Episode 11 Avant Title

I watched 4 minutes of it, got to the OP, and turned it off. I'm not going to continue watching a show in this state and I think I'll just wait for the finished version to come out on blu-ray instead. This is unacceptable incomplete work. It's not even a case of anything looking bad or poorly drawn. It's simply unfinished stuff rushed to air. Within the first 4 minutes there are already countless scenes where it's clear they didn't manage to get the animation for whatever was supposed to be there done, so instead they put up a still background scene while you hear sound effects and characters doing stuff. Sometimes when characters are attacking and the animation isn't complete they loop a different effect scene which was completed instead, or cut away to someone's face, or prolong a scene of someone standing there. Simply unwatchable, and totally distracting.

You're missing out. It got so, so much worse. Total disaster. :lol

EDIT: Oh, you did see it! Hahaha.

Articalys

Oh right, here's the first PV for Fall anime Sora no Method:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tMLSCTWCfM

Looks like it might have some elements SDBurton could appreciate.
FCGgy00.jpg
Nice song from Larval Stage Planning as well.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Tonari no Seki-kun Episode 12:

Seki needs to learn the subtleties of quid pro quo and it is nice to see him defeated for once.

Hunter X Hunter, what's up with the hate over the Chimera arc, because to me this arc is better than Greed Island, Heavens Tower, and Hunter exam arc. The reason why is due to the fact it has splendid character development like Knuckles, Shoot, Octopus, and Melearon, even Gon's and Killua's friendship is heightened. It also provides morals, pride, and psychological issues within the characters if you look closely enough, I mean most of the best episodes are found in this arc which says a lot. This arc is also not cliched especially with the Gon and Neferopitou confrontation considering it could have went the easy route. Lastly this arc made me feel sad and shocked for good reasons, and it's not even done yet.

Articalys

By the way, can any of the anistaff folks help explain the connection between Shin Oonuma, Shaft, and Silver Link, or is it just as simple as "used to work mainly with the former, now works mainly with the latter and brought a lot of the same style with him".

firehawk12

Subete no aware
By the way, can any of the anistaff folks help explain the connection between Shin Oonuma, Shaft, and Silver Link, or is it just as simple as "used to work mainly with the former, now works mainly with the latter and brought a lot of the same style with him".
I'm going to assume there's a Shaft house-style that people who work there pick up, and that style just gets replicated everywhere else. The fact that Sakura Trick is like another season of Hidamari Sketch kind of makes it seem like the case anyway. I think what makes it easily recognizable is that, for better or for worse, Shaft is the only studio that seems to have a through line in terms of how it uses visual language in all its shows.

---

Saki 11
DfMhVBGl.jpg

The ending was hilarious because of how they animated it. If nothing else, I assume that the animators are having fun (perhaps a bit too much fun) drawing some of the absurdities of the show.

cajunator

Banned

DiGiKerot

Saki 11
DfMhVBGl.jpg

The ending was hilarious because of how they animated it. If nothing else, I assume that the animators are having fun (perhaps a bit too much fun) drawing some of the absurdities of the show.

The
bottom-up shot of the shrine maidens ludicrously large boobs flailing wildly as Saki reached "full power", as it were, had me creased over in fits of laughter even without Saki's MahJong power being potent enough to remotely crack a monocle!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The
bottom-up shot of the shrine maidens ludicrously large boobs flailing wildly as Saki reached "full power", as it were, had me creased over in fits of laughter even without Saki's MahJong power being potent enough to remotely crack a monocle!
Yup, I was laughing at that scene too. It was so stupidly gratuitous that I could only imagine the look on the animator's face when he was drawing it.
And add the fact of
pseudo-earthquake
and you have an amazing scene.

Are you going to fight this guy Branduil?

Is this your final dandy?

Saki 11
DfMhVBGl.jpg

That pressure. I was already expecting the Rinshan Kaihou, because I already don't remember mostly of this match, just the end really.

This season shouldn't be called The Nationals.

The

That was indeed hilarious.

cajunator

Banned

Kyuur

I don't normally comment on the weekly stuff I watch in here.

But Magi 23 was bad.

Really bad.

I guess the source material for this section was pretty shit as well, but I expected them to spice it up with some good animation.

Articalys

I'm going to assume there's a Shaft house-style that people who work there pick up, and that style just gets replicated everywhere else. The fact that Sakura Trick is like another season of Hidamari Sketch kind of makes it seem like the case anyway. I think what makes it easily recognizable is that, for better or for worse, Shaft is the only studio that seems to have a thorough line in terms of how it uses visual language in all its shows.
That sounds about right, thanks. And yeah, I remember noting the directorial connection between Hidamari and Sakura Trick as well.

What brought the question on, by the way, was when I looked up other songs Larval Stage Planning had done and found the BakaTest S2 OP, which I watched and thought was super Shafty in layout, color, and general style like you mentioned, and was also directed by Oonuma.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
That sounds about right, thanks. And yeah, I remember noting the directorial connection between Hidamari and Sakura Trick as well.

What brought the question on, by the way, was when I looked up other songs Larval Stage Planning had done and found the BakaTest S2 OP, which I watched and thought was super Shafty in layout, color, and general style like you mentioned, and was also directed by Oonuma.

Yeah, and that look is in Nou-rin as well. That said, he seems to have a "comedy" style and a "serious" style, or at least knows which Shaft components to use when, because while all his shows have similarities, No-rin is nothing like Dusk Maiden or WataMote.

Golden Time - 23

Well shit, that was a depressing ending. Imagine if the show just ended right after that lol

Looking forward to seeing how it all wraps up. These last few episodes have dragged a little, but I think that's more in part to me basically marathoning 1-17, then watching weekly when the drama got upped a ton.

pls let Linda win

Actually
even though I want Linda to win, i'm still hoping for an end where he retains both memories, or the more realistic "He builds his new friendships again thanks to his Mom and Linda supporting him."

I really like Linda as well. I doubt we're gonna get any serious closure with Ep 24. For that, we're gonna need to buy the Vita game.

Nobunagun 12
It doesn't start off very well with Hunter whining and Nobunagun in tentacles.
then things start to get better with Hunter finding how they identify each other and getting them to kill eacher. and Jack also has Nightingale. That's unique.

cnet128

Banned
Oh right, here's the first PV for Fall anime Sora no Method:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tMLSCTWCfM

Looks really pretty, and the character designs are so. cute.

Hunter X Hunter, what's up with the hate over the Chimera arc, because to me this arc is better than Greed Island, Heavens Tower, and Hunter exam arc.

Hate over the Chimera Ant arc? There may be a few people who have negative opinions about it, but those people are crazy. I'm pretty sure the prevailing opinion is that it's excellent. I certainly think it's the best arc of the series.

Tonari No Seki-kun 12

God damn Seki-kun your waifu turned tsundere.

Log Horizon 12

This show was my joy throughout the weeks. It was the biggest surprise of the fall 2013 season and the reason I was excited for saturday mornings. I haven't felt this for a show since I was a young teenager with Avatar: The Last Airbender.

It wasn't perfect. It wasn't very pretty. But god damn it was brilliant. Other shows may have been a beautiful bright light that attracted audiences to its warm glow. But when Log Horizon shined, and shine it did, it shined brighter than anything else in the season. Fuck. I'm going to miss waking up on Saturdays and watching this. It's going to be depressing for a bit. Until season 2 that is. When it was announced at the end of the episode I had the brightest fucking smile in my face. The anime industry may disappoint me many times. But times like these restores my faith in it. Thank you Log Horizon. Now I'm going to finish other shows to distract myself from these emotions. SO MANY.

Normally I'd say there's a point and it comes together, but this show probably isn't for you.

Well I have to watch it all the way through because of the Clannad Challenge I made with survivor. And I see where they're going with it. It's mildly entertaining but nothing more. This is a very different form of comedy that might resonate with others but not me so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom