• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter-Spring 2014 Anime |OT3| People incapable of guilt usually do have a good time

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckroll

http://www.project-magi.com/movie/index.html

There's a full trailer out for the Magi Sinbad OAD now. It honestly looks like it could be pretty good. They totally nailed the birth of Sinbad scene. It's a 2-part OAD which will be released with Vol3 and Vol4 of the Sinbad spin-off manga, and the first part is out in May. The OAD is not produced by the same staff as the Magi TV series, but by Lay-Duce, a new anime studio formed by the ex-producer who ran BONES' D Studio.

Krogan

Is it any good?

That's one major reason why I switched to Hummingbird. A great android app for it. Though for some reason I keep updating my MAL account anyway. I really shouldn't..well aside for the manga portion as Hummingbird has yet to support manga.

Its a pretty basic (scroll list) of your MAL with the Watching/Completed/On Hold/Dropped/Plan to Watch categories, I have only ever used MAL so I don't exactly know how it compares.

Crocodile

http://www.project-magi.com/movie/index.html

There's a full trailer out for the Magi Sinbad OAD now. It honestly looks like it could be pretty good. They totally nailed the birth of Sinbad scene. It's a 2-part OAD which will be released with Vol3 and Vol4 of the Sinbad spin-off manga, and the first part is out in May. The OAD is not produced by the same staff as the Magi TV series, but by Lay-Duce, a new anime studio formed by the ex-producer who ran BONES' D Studio.

As an aside, there seem to be a major proliferation of anime studios with new ones popping up all over the place in recent years. Normally, expansion means business is good - if animation were a struggling industry in Japan, studios would be shutting down not being created. Am I right to assume the recent surge of new studios means anime, at least from a business perspective, is in a good place?

Lurky

So after twelve episodes of d-frag, the only thing I can conclude about this show is that I really dislike Roka. =/

Lovely Complex 1-24 END

It was interesting but towards the end things were getting boring with the same jokes and stuff. The supporting characters in this show aren't that great so when they got a focus I really didn't care about them at all with the exception of the Otani's neighbor. I liked the Kansai dialect. Kimi ni Todeke is the better shoujo romance comedy with much more interesting characters. I feel like I don't have enough of an attachment to the show to read the remaining manga chapters either, unlike Kimi ni Todoke.

duckroll

As an aside, there seem to be a major proliferation of anime studios with new ones popping up all over the place in recent years. Normally, expansion means business is good - if animation were a struggling industry in Japan, studios would be shutting down not being created. Am I right to assume the recent surge of new studios means anime, at least from a business perspective, is in a good place?

I dunno if we can really assume that. A proliferation of new businesses in an industry doesn't can be a result of various factors. My personal take on it though is that it's an indication that there's still a lot of interest and passion from newer and younger individuals in the industry and they want more ownership of their work.

Many of the new studios we've seen pop up recently are not new studios formed by people investing into the industry, so it might not be a sign that the money is attractive, but rather since most of them are start ups by producers and directors who have left existing established studios, it seems like a sign to me that enough talent has been cultivated at those places such that some of the staff want to spread their own wings. That's certainly not a bad position for a creative industry to be.

There are lots of great ahoges, but he said hair antennae, which I take to mean literally antenna like hair composes of two or more ahoges. In which case KYH is definitely best!

If ahoges are out, then I change my vote to Renge:
zlNROQO.gif

Oh, and feel free to add me on MAL:
http://myanimelist.net/profile/MikeHattsu

Since people were talking about that.

cajunator

Banned
I dunno if we can really assume that. A proliferation of new businesses in an industry doesn't can be a result of various factors. My personal take on it though is that it's an indication that there's still a lot of interest and passion from newer and younger individuals in the industry and they want more ownership of their work.

Many of the new studios we've seen pop up recently are not new studios formed by people investing into the industry, so it might not be a sign that the money is attractive, but rather since most of them are start ups by producers and directors who have left existing established studios, it seems like a sign to me that enough talent has been cultivated at those places such that some of the staff want to spread their own wings. That's certainly not a bad position for a creative industry to be.

Kind of like the gaming industry really. not so much new talent as old talent creating its own new studios to work on new projects. Still indicates continued interest in the industry and thus health. Especially since startups are risky.

If ahoges are out, then I change my vote to Renge:
zlNROQO.gif

Oh, and feel free to add me on MAL:
http://myanimelist.net/profile/MikeHattsu

Since people were talking about that.

Added you. Planning to watch Haibane Renmei? good Mikey. Planning to watch Saikano? Better intersperse that with something happy.
Also, Renge is pretty amazing but I like her more cause shes a cutie and less cause of her antennae.

You know, those ads are incredibly annoying now.

What ads?

wonzo

Banned
Witch Craft Works 12 END

witchcraftw12.jpg

I'm honestly really disappointed Mizushima didn't go for an original end as anything would've been better and more conclusive than this terrible arc centering around the equally terrible character Weekend. At least the manga had the possibility of redeeming itself after that mess and did just that with Chapter 32:

Added you. Planning to watch Haibane Renmei? good Mikey. Planning to watch Saikano? Better intersperse that with something happy.

Also, Renge is pretty amazing but I like her more cause shes a cutie and less cause of her antennae.

Well... You guys keep bringing Haibane Renmei up when a certain other show is mentioned. :p

And I added Saikano to my backlog because of that saddest anime thread.

Hm... Not sure I've seen any characters I like yet just because they have antennae. Usually only take notice if somebody in the show points out a strange hairdo anyway or if their hair does something strange.

cajunator

Banned
Well... You guys keep bringing Haibane Renmei up when a certain other show is mentioned. :p

And I added Saikano to my backlog because of that saddest anime thread.

Hm... Not sure I've seen any characters I like yet just because they have antennae. Usually only take notice if somebody in the show points out a strange hairdo anyway or if their hair does something strange.

I just really love Kuroyukihime's because shes already an elegant beautiful butterfly girl and the antennae just makes her look adorable.

cnet128

Banned
Hey guys! Anybody remember Peaceiscloser? I got mail from him today! He's been out 4 months, says he's doing well, and he sent me a weird picture he found proving that Awesome Fan Art is a thing that real people live with:

Oh hey, I do remember that guy. It sucks that he won't be returning to us for more than a year and a half still =(

I genuinely wonder why I have a tendency to like Little Sister types.

Because they're amazing.

Older sisters > Younger sisters

Nope.

Only in hentai.

Still nope.

This is probably fairly accurate, though =p (Not that it stops me wishing I had a real one)

Wait a minute...theres a catgirl in hunter X Hunter?
Suddenly Im a bit interested.

Pitou is pretty androgynous, but I'm fairly sure he's male. At any rate he's about as far as you can get from a cute catgirl. He is one of the best damn characters in the show, though (and in Hunter x Hunter, that's saying a lot).

A better question is "when will Ayana Taketatsu stop getting typecast into imouto roles".

Well, this summer she's voicing a haniwa-shaped robot =p

Mushi-Shi 14

Oh hey, a happy ending! Nope, the kid and wife die! Nope, the white bamboo is back, and now the wife and kid are...being reborn, I guess?

What a weird-ass episode. It's like an emotional tilt-a-whirl.

Plants are weird. I think a weird-ass life is pretty par for the course when you
marry one
=p

Muromi-san OVA

In which:

- Mermaids and humans go to school together
- Muromi gets NTRed
- Muromi takes a needle full of drugs to the head
- Loli mermaids wear school swimsuits... somehow. cnet take notice.
- Muromi gets cheated and ripped off by Hans Christian Andersen
- Levia-san destroys all human civilization
- Takuro gets a tan
- Eating cucumbers does not actually involve eating them,
if ya know what I mean

Hmm. This does indeed sound relevant to my interests.

I'm so bad at actually getting around to watching OVA episodes, though, even for shows I really liked when they were airing. Case in point: I still haven't got around to watching the second Gargantia OVA even though "Suisei no Gargantia Specials" has been sitting in my watchlists on MAL and Hummingbird for ages, mocking me.

You should try the app iMAL.

An iOS app for MAL is certainly interesting to me, but it doesn't look like this one has a native iPad version, so I don't think it would be all that useful for my purposes =/

Right now my routine involves keeping my MAL and Hummingbird watchlists open in tabs on my iPad browser (alongside AnimeGAF, natch) and switching over and incrementing them both whenever I finish an episode. It's not perfect, and I'd probably switch over to using native apps for both of them if good ones existed, but an iPhone-optimised app doesn't really cut it and would probably just feel less efficient.

hummingbird is kinda silly at this point. Its a lot of work keeping up with anime watching >_

I do wish the page would load a little faster. It's a lot better than it used to be, though.

I actually find that MAL is more trouble these days, due to a few factors. The watchlist has been coming up with these weird pseudo-popup ads at the bottom of the screen lately that get in the way and seem to confuse the hell out of the iPad browser, the increment buttons are tiny targets so occasionally I hit the wrong one, and they don't seem very responsive either (sometimes I'm sure I hit the "+" button but it doesn't actually register, other times I hit it and the number updates like five or more seconds later...) Oh, and it really doesn't want to keep me logged in. It logs me out at least once a day even if I tell it not to. I still find it pretty functional despite all these annoyances though.

cajunator

Banned
Oh hey, I do remember that guy. It sucks that he won't be returning to us for more than a year and a half still =(

Because they're amazing.

Nope.

Still nope.

This is probably fairly accurate, though =p (Not that it stops me wishing I had a real one)

Pitou is pretty androgynous, but I'm fairly sure he's male. At any rate he's about as far as you can get from a cute catgirl. He is one of the best damn characters in the show, though (and in Hunter x Hunter, that's saying a lot).

Well, this summer she's voicing a haniwa-shaped robot =p

Plants are weird. I think a weird-ass life is pretty par for the course when you
marry one
=p

Hmm. This does indeed sound relevant to my interests.

I'm so bad at actually getting around to watching OVA episodes, though, even for shows I really liked when they were airing. Case in point: I still haven't got around to watching the second Gargantia OVA even though "Suisei no Gargantia Specials" has been sitting in my watchlists on MAL and Hummingbird for ages, mocking me.

An iOS app for MAL is certainly interesting to me, but it doesn't look like this one has a native iPad version, so I don't think it would be all that useful for my purposes =/

Right now my routine involves keeping my MAL and Hummingbird watchlists open in tabs on my iPad browser and switching over and incrementing them both whenever I finish an episode. It's not perfect, and I'd probably switch over to using native apps for both of them if good ones existed, but an iPhone-optimised app doesn't really cut it and would probably just feel less efficient.

I do wish the page would load a little faster. It's a lot better than it used to be, though.

I actually find that MAL is more trouble these days, due to a few factors (the watchlist has been coming up with these weird pseudo-popup ads at the bottom of the screen lately that get in the way and seem to confuse the hell out of the iPad browser, the increment buttons are tiny targets so occasionally I hit the wrong one, and they don't seem very responsive either (sometimes I'm sure I hit the "+" button but it doesn't actually register, other times I hit it and the number updates like five or more seconds later...) Oh, and it really doesn't want to keep me logged in. It logs me out at least once a day even if I tell it not to. I still find it pretty functional despite all these annoyances though.

I see a lot of conflicting information about Neferpitou and its gender. Also a lot of fanart of it as female. So I dunno. Whatever Neferpitou is, I like the character.

jgminto

Pitou doesn't really have a gender.

Theonik

So did HapCha deliver false promises or is it still good?
I havent kept up since episode 4.
It's still delivering.

This thread makes me happy
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=789881
Why isnt this movie on bluray yet?
It is.

there is a bluray for Japan but I want a dubbed english version. I really enjoyed the voice actors.
It does have the dub.

Wait so it has the english DUB too?
Are you certain?
Positive. All of them do in fact as a rule have JP, ENG, FR, GER dubs as a minimum on disk if they exist. Castle in the Sky is the odd one here because of the different OST where they implemented the dub differently.

That Idiot Cop Cousin Who Ruined the Computer Because He Thought a
Corpse
Needed Ice and Who Really Needed to Get Hit by a
Falling Satellite
To be fair, dead bodies decompose very quickly especially in the summer.

There is not a single character in Summer Wars that is even remotely memorable.
I still remember the "Kazuma is actually a guy" disappointment

cajunator

Banned
It's still delivering.

It is.

It does have the dub.

Positive. All of them do in fact as a rule have JP, ENG, FR, GER dubs as a minimum on disk if they exist. Castle in the Sky is the odd one here because of the different OST where they implemented the dub differently.

To be fair, dead bodies decompose very quickly especially in the summer.

I still remember the "Kazuma is actually a guy" disappointment

Thats good to know. So by this point I gather that Doki was coming off the rails?

Wait a minute...theres a catgirl in hunter X Hunter?
Suddenly Im a bit interested.
1392169443551.gif

There is a very "naughty" cat-like character in Hxh , but said character doesn't appear until quite a chunck of episodes

While the character is great i don't think it'll be cajun - approved

Happiness Charge Precure - 06

In a perfect world, this scene would've been extended showing Yuuko tilting Hime's head back so she could capture her lips with her own after a period of intense gazing into each other's eyes.
Too soon , we're still in the friendship phase !!!

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Doki made it clear what was going on from episode 1, like an airplane taking a nosedive. You wanted to think the show would pull up, but it never does and it's not fun to stick around and watch. :(

cajunator

Banned
1392169443551.gif

There is a very "naughty" cat-like character in Hxh , but said character doesn't appear until quite a chunck of episodes

While the character is great i don't think it'll be cajun - approved

Too soon , we're still in the friendship phase !!!

I like awesome characters of many kinds, not just cute

Witch Craft Works 12
Fairly fun finale. Still can't believe that he thought kissing on the lips was something for after marriage. I liked the rabbit and bear's friendship

Krogan

Maken-Ki! Two 1-10

Having never finished season 1 it was up to GAF's screenshots to pull me back into this series. The show works much better (imo) when its just one shot stories not bothering to attempt to be anything else but an ecch harem. The best girl remains Azuki with Kimi being a close second. The show is a lot of fun if ecchi is what you are looking for and oh is this show ecchi.

Angel Beats! 1

I should probably get back on the Air horse before I make my way towards the front of the KEY train, but oh well. Not sure what to make of it yet, to be honest. It already seems pretty disjointed in tone/presentation. I'm not jumping out of my seat with excitement, but I wasn't dissatisfied. We'll see.

lol, TK's mah bro.

I find a major flaw in Angel Beats! is also its greatest strength: its numerous cast of characters.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Angel Beats! 1

I should probably get back on the Air horse before I make my way towards the front of the KEY train, but oh well. Not sure what to make of it yet, to be honest. It already seems pretty disjointed in tone/presentation. I'm not jumping out of my seat with excitement, but I wasn't dissatisfied. We'll see.

lol, TK's mah bro.

Its pretty bad.

I say this as somebody who thinks Clannad (especially AS) is by far the best thing KyoAni has ever worked on and as somebody who loves Kanon (06), Angel Beats ain't worth watching. It doesn't have the KyoAni touch and the story is pretty lousy in general.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Stick with it man. Everyone here will tell you different, especially some of the regulars like Wonzo and Brandbuil but I thought the show was fantastic. It gets better and better as the show goes.

The first episode isn't very good to be honest and the show really gets a good tone and style going in episodes 2/3/4.

Watch it dubbed if you can. I think the dub is much better.

We'll see, like I said, nothing so far to make me give up on it.

I watched first episode subbed, but I'll check it out.

Its not as bad as people would like you to believe. thats not to say it was good either.

Yeah, I get ya. It is a KEY show after all.

I find a major flaw in Angel Beats! is also its greatest strength: its numerous cast of characters.

If TK gets more spotlight, that a-OK with me.

Its pretty bad.

I say this as somebody who thinks Clannad (especially AS) is by far the best thing KyoAni has ever worked on and as somebody who loves Kanon (06), Angel Beats ain't worth watching. It doesn't have the KyoAni touch and the story is pretty lousy in general.

Well, I guess we'll see. I've trudged through some garbage before, but haven't seen much yet to classify it one way or another. I think it has potential, but that really means nothing.

Angel Beats! 1

lol, TK's mah bro.

I would rather watch Air. But that's me though.

Hm... Have you watched Kanon 2006? Can't remember if you've said so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom