• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 06•02-04•17 - Amazon princess crowned box office Queen and saves DCEU

Chamber

love on your sleeve
well if any mcu movie is ever going to beat the Avengers 1 record it will have to be one of the Infinity War movies. I'm thinking both will come short though (but over a billion obviously)

No comic book movie on the horizon has a chance at topping Avengers at the box office. I think, in a perfect world, Justice League would have been the only one but we know what happened.

tumblr_inline_n8z0f2G7VV1qztn1k.gif

I remember when so many of us, myself included, were confident GOTG 2 would easily break a billion.

technically it could still get there. Technically. But what's curious about its boxofficemojo page is the division between domestic and foreign, at almost the same as Wonder Woman at 44-56, and almost to the decimal the same percentages as the first guardians.

This may be the maximum that this niche has to offer. TFA also had 45-55 division btw.

Cipherr

I remember when so many of us, myself included, were confident GOTG 2 would easily break a billion.

Really? I always considered GOTG2 getting within reasonable distance of BvS to be a big success considering how unknown they were to the masses to begin with. A billion seems like a big leap to expect for that sequel.

kswiston

Guardians run is winding down. I'm not sure it's gonna hit 850

It's still a huge success

It has a pretty good chance at $850M. This weekend was close to $10M domestic, so another $30M isn't really a stretch. Ultron made a further $21M off of a $6.3M fifth weekend. Civil War made another $11M off of a $4.3M weekend.

GOTG2's international run is pretty much done, but it can at least squeeze out another $5-10M overseas.

EDIT: Actually, I was looking at the wrong AoU weekend. The fifth weekend was $11.4M and AoU made another $31.5M.

btw, on Infinity War, I was thinking about how the Marvel movies can't do serious, as a result of our 'Black Widow could work' (it can't) discussion in the previous thread, and almost every time the MCU tries to do 'serious' its downright awkward to the point of being unintentionally hilarious. That relationship talk in Age of Ultron was 'wait are they doing this? oh god they're doing this' material. I believe similar complaints exist toward the Jessica Jones and other Marvel tv shows as well.

So I'm really starting to wonder if Infinity War, which is apparently this deep dark jump into the abyss as far as Marvel goes, won't basically be the best worst unintentional comedy of all time when it goes all 'and here's a joke' and then some character violently dies or whatever.
Considering how extremely poorly the previous movies have dealt with it, I don't think they're suddenly going to 'get it' with that one.

Ironically, what the MCU needs, is a healthy dose of Zack Snyder.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
btw, on Infinity War, I was thinking about how the Marvel movies can't do serious, as a result of our 'Black Widow could work' (it can't) discussion in the previous thread, and almost every time the MCU tries to do 'serious' its downright awkward to the point of being unintentionally hilarious. That relationship talk in Age of Ultron was 'wait are they doing this? oh god they're doing this' material. I believe similar complaints exist toward the Jessica Jones and other Marvel tv shows as well.

So I'm really starting to wonder if Infinity War, which is apparently this deep dark jump into the abyss as far as Marvel goes, won't basically be the best worst unintentional comedy of all time when it goes all 'and here's a joke' and then some character violently dies or whatever.
Considering how extremely poorly the previous movies have dealt with it, I don't think they're suddenly going to 'get it' with that one.

I thought there was an alright take on serious in both Civil War and (especially) The Winter Soldier, though, heh.

It has a pretty good chance at $850M. This weekend was close to $10M domestic, so another $30M isn't really a stretch. Ultron made a further $21M off of a $6.3M fifth weekend. Civil War made another $11M off of a $4.3M weekend. That would be $25-33M with GotG2's fifth weekend subbed in, and GotG2's been holding quite a bit better than both so far.

GOTG2's international run is pretty much done, but it can at least squeeze out another $5-10M overseas.

An yeah I just noticed it's international numbers have really dropped off so I wasn't sure if Domestic would still have the pull left to get it up to 850. Would be nice if it does get there though

kswiston

An yeah I just noticed it's international numbers have really dropped off so I wasn't sure if Domestic would still have the pull left to get it up to 850. Would be nice if it does get there though

I edited my post above, since I was looking at AoU's sixth weekend and not fifth. The rest still applies. With Ultron legs, GotG2 would make another $27M. Overseas would have to add in the missing $5.5M to hit $850M.

Civil War got closest, I felt. But you had moments like Peggy's funeral undercut with Falcon nudging Cap to forward that awkward relationship with her niece. Similarly with Winter Soldier, when they tried having a moment with Cap and Bucky, you had cutaways to Falcon jumping from an exploding building to a helicopter. Theme here is Russos get like 70% of the way there. So, I have some faith in Infinity War doing OK on that front.

But if we're broadly talking Marvel Studios movies, Ryan Coogler did an amazing job with Creed in balancing the fun and emotional beats. The cast is amazing. There's a solid writer on board. It'd be hard to mess that one up. I'm pulling for it to be as stand alone as Wonder Woman is.

kswiston

Will a non RDJ Marvel film hit a billion?

Probably eventually. I doubt Disney is going to stop making Marvel films, even if we get a bit of a hiatus at some point. Big Superhero films have been making big bucks for 40 years. A decade from now, $1B will basically be today's $750-800M.

That said, I don't see any of the non-RDJ films through Phase 3 getting there.

Bronx-Man

Banned

First off, no

Secondly, jesus christ no keep that hack that fuck away from this universe

Third, the Russo Bros already proved they can pull off dark + serious with Winter Soldier and Civil War

DC marks, man I swear.

The irony is that not even DC can do serious. Even Wonder Woman needed some levity to make it work.

Anth0ny

we still need to learn a lot more about infinity war

are we really going to follow the purple guy as he travels across the universe and takes all of those gems

we still need to learn a lot more about infinity war

are we really going to follow the purple guy as he travels across the universe and takes all of those gems

I know they've said Infinity War isn't a 2 part film anymore but I find it highly unlikely Thanos gets only 1 film. They've been building the MCU up for this dude for 10 years and you are going to try to squeeze everything out of him in like 2 hours? This isn't just another random bad guy but supposedly THE EVENT of the entire MCU.

I'm assuming whatever Avengers 4 is, it involves Thanos still as well. Otherwise this seems like a pretty big let down after all of this build up.

wachie

I don't think it'll happen. They're going to be huge, obviously, but as much as "the end" is a big deal, seeing everyone come together for the first time is a feeling that can't be replicated.
If either of the IW movies fail to outgross Avengers 1 then that's an underperformance.

If either of the IW movies fail to outgross Avengers 1 then that's an underperformance.

I think there's almost 0 chance either matches Avengers 1 BO.

Edit - though I mean Civil War / Age of Ultron didn't get really THAT far off. Maybe I'm underestimating things here. I forgot Ultron only missed it by a little over 100 million. It was much closer than I remember

kswiston

Edit - though I mean Civil War / Age of Ultron didn't get really THAT far off. Maybe I'm underestimating things here. I forgot Ultron only missed it by a little over 100 million. It was much closer than I remember

Age of Ultron's $100M shortfall worldwide was entirely due to weakening exchange rates. Both made pretty much the same amount worldwide with matched rates.

Ultron's big dip was domestically. But it's not all that uncommon to see a big domestic dip to the follow up of a record breaking event film. We'll see how the Jurassic World sequel does next year.

wachie

Edit - though I mean Civil War / Age of Ultron didn't get really THAT far off. Maybe I'm underestimating things here. I forgot Ultron only missed it by a little over 100 million
Yes, you are.

Ultron wasn't as well received (worn off novelty) plus by the numbers movie and it still got pretty close. CW was very well received and was basically mini-avengers movie in CA movie disguise and also grossed 400+ million. I think one of the IW movie will easily top 650+ domestic and 2B ww.

Age of Ultron's $100M shortfall worldwide was entirely due to weakening exchange rates. Both made pretty much the same amount with matched rates.

Ultron's big dip was domestically. But it's not all that uncommon to see a big domestic dip to the follow up of a record breaking event film. We'll see how the Jurassic World sequel does next year.

Yes, you are.

Ultron wasn't as well received (worn off novelty) plus by the numbers movie and it still got pretty close. CW was very well received and was basically mini-avengers movie in CA movie disguise and also grossed 400+ million. I think one of the IW movie will easily top 650+ domestic and 2B ww.

Yeah I for some reason entirely forgot how close Ultron ended up. For some reason in my mind I though it had missed by quite a bit, but considering that film seemed to have a somewhat mixed reception the fact it got so close speaks volumes.

Yeah, if Infinity War is good it has every shot of topping Avengers 1. And I'm sure Guardians meeting the Avengers for the first time will be a huge part of the marketing.

kswiston

Yes, you are.

I don't think we'll see either hit $600M, but it would sort of be weird to see the culmination of the entire MCU to date barely top Guardians of the Galaxy 2 domestically (as will be the case with Civil War).

Yes, you are.

That would be a massive achievement considering current exchange rates. An almost 600 million jump over ago of ultron is a big ask.

Age of Ultron's $100M shortfall worldwide was entirely due to weakening exchange rates. Both made pretty much the same amount worldwide with matched rates.

It's hard to see JW matching the performance of the first movie, that was an incredible run. I don't want to underestimate it because we saw what happened last time but I think we'll see a small drop both domestically and WW.

Boke1879

If IW doesn't do it then none will.

I mean you got Spider-Man back with Avengers, teaming up with the GotG for the first time. With a possible Captain Marvel tease? Also this is Thanos big reveal. If the stars don't align for this to outgross Avengers 1 then idk.

I think Infinity War will have a slight bump up from Ultron but nothing major

I think this is true, given some real quality. I think Age of Ultron was a bit of a stumble in the upward trend. I also think we're approaching a point where some of the mainstays are carrying a bit too much baggage for some audiences, so it's good that Infinity War marks the end of many of their contracts.

Mrbob

I didn't follow the comics but shouldn't Thanos been given a bigger build up? Seems like another monster of the week type enemy if we learn everything in Infinity War.

Doesnt he need a substantial presence in Thor 3.

I didn't follow the comics but shouldn't Thanos been given a bigger build up? Seems like another monster of the week type enemy if we learn everything in Infinity War.

Doesnt he need a substantial presence in Thor 3.

People are talking here like Thanos is introduced and defeated in Infinity War, then Avengers 4 is a whole new villain or something.

What Feige has said - and seems most likely - is Infinity War follows Thanos, setting up his charcater and motivation somewhat and showing him as a total force of nature against the Earth's Mightiest Heroes. Avengers 4 probably picks up with them at a low point, but eventually defeating him with some casualties along the way. Despite the "they're not 2 parts" Marvel's throwing around, I highly doubt the full story is wrapped up in one movie.

Obviously we'll know nothing until the movies are released, but I expect them to really push the "2 year event finale" message.

Anth0ny

I know they've said Infinity War isn't a 2 part film anymore but I find it highly unlikely Thanos gets only 1 film. They've been building the MCU up for this dude for 10 years and you are going to try to squeeze everything out of him in like 2 hours? This isn't just another random bad guy but supposedly THE EVENT of the entire MCU.

I'm assuming whatever Avengers 4 is, it involves Thanos still as well. Otherwise this seems like a pretty big let down after all of this build up.

Yeah I'm sure both 3 and 4 will have Thanos. If I had to guess, 3 will involve Thanos travelling around the universe and collecting the infinity gems, ending with him on earth and collecting them all.

Then 4 is the big fight.

And yes, Thanos should pretty much be the star of Avengers 3. After all this build up, he needs it. Also helps that he's kinda awesome.

Hard to be anything but wasted on screen when the film barely shows anything from your POV before killing you off at the end. That's probably why Stane/Loki rank so high, they get scenes that are more than mugging for the camera saying WAHEY I'M EVIL. Thanos feels like a fucking tourist in his own franchise. Maybe they'll fix that in time for Infinity War. I don't have my hopes up.

I feel like you have to go out of your way to make Thanos from Infinity Gauntlet uncool.

mahvel pls >_<
I could say the same about Ultron. (In before cowboy Ultron that Slayven will post)
At least Zemo was awesome. Sure, I didn't get my pimp purple hood, but he was still a cold, calculating bastard.

sleepykyo

Pretty sure we are. I think Avenger 4 is a reboot of the MCU. Same canon but I think we see the end of Thor, Cap, Hulk, Black Widow, Iron Man etc. as the main players.

Thor and Black Widow's actors are still relatively young. Has either expressed an interest in moving into directing/otherwise leaving the universe?

Anth0ny

there is no end to thor, cap or iron man's story lol

i'm sure they'll stick around as long as the money keeps rolling in

Thor and Black Widow's actors are still relatively young. Has either expressed an interest in moving into directing/otherwise leaving the universe?

there is no end to thor, cap or iron man's story lol

i'm sure they'll stick around as long as the money keeps rolling in

I think those characters will still exist in the canon and show up (well not Iron Man I think
Thanos kills him
)

But I think Avengers 4 is the passing of the torch. Won't be surprised if its "The New Avengers"

Top Bottom