• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 07•07-09•17 - Minions cede dominion over box office, Homecoming KING

BumRush

It looks to me like this movie is doing super bad and disappointing tbh

Why do you keep posting stuff like this? It's doing great. It has SIGNIFICANTLY worse overseas exchange rates vs the original trilogy (and ASMs) and is rebuilding the brand a bit after the last two - widely disliked - entries. It's doing fine.

AndersK

The Marvel stans have been bragging about Thor 3 hitting $1B ever since that trailer came out. I'm looking up crow recipes as we speak.

Yes, let's mock exited people about a great trailer for a movie by an outstanding director for a character that's had two middling movies.

I smell a Stan, all right.

Cheebo

Banned
Yes, let's mock exited people about a great trailer for a movie by an outstanding director for a character that's had two middling movies.

I smell a Stan, all right.
Being excited for a movie and making idiotic claims about it doing a billion are very different things.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Thor 1 didn't do it for me. I rewatched the full MCU film canon this past month and it landed at the very bottom.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Why do you keep posting stuff like this? It's doing great. It has SIGNIFICANTLY worse overseas exchange rates vs the original trilogy (and ASMs) and is rebuilding the brand a bit after the last two - widely disliked - entries. It's doing fine.
I am pessimist and I fear what Sony will do if this fails to reach 1bn $

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Anyway. Just walked into my screening. Nobody is here. Bomba!!!!

Its a afternoon screening midweek and the "event" screening will in four hours, so no wonder lol

BumRush

Haha don't worry. Spider-Man will be in Avengers 3/4 and it'll get a Homecoming 2 (or whatever) at a minimum. The critical reception (coupled with very good box office numbers) means Sony is probably ecstatic.

Edit: SM:H's first Tuesday was higher than GotG2, WW and SS. I think it'll be okay.

Chamber

love on your sleeve

Yeah, Sony has so many box office hits these days, I can't see them being happy with $800m+.
mjlol.png

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Wonder Woman update:

Wonder Woman earned $1.26 million yesterday, a drop of 39% from last Wednesday. So it's not going to drop below $1m per day until next Monday at the earliest, but that's a post for next week. The film has now earned $372.558m in 41 days, which is just $1.272m behind Spider-Man's respective (unadjusted) 41-day total.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottm...ero-films-into-an-original-stew/#93276a25a7a3

Another great day for WW, should be around $379-$380m after the weekend.

Would be awesome if WW was the highest grossing superhero movie of the year (domestic). Didn't like it as much as Logan. But I didn't expect to like it more than Spider-Man homecoming or particularly guardians 2 either.

That no man's land scene was fire. Not just the action but seeing the direct influence she has on the people around her

Penguin

Would be awesome if WW was the highest grossing superhero movie of the year (domestic). Didn't like it as much as Logan. But I didn't expect to like it more than Spider-Man homecoming or particularly guardians 2 either.

That no man's land scene was fire. Not just the action but seeing the direct influence she has on the people around her

I mean Justice League is always so tough to predict, but it has a high chance of doing so.

Sulik2

I think it also cost like 100 million dollars less to produce and the marketing push was was less then ASM2. Sony is going to be super happy with their books at 800 mil, especially with current exchange rates.

Is there talk of doing an actual Planet of the Apes for the fourth film? They did talk about the mars mission in the first film in the background, so you already have your off earth people to return for a Planet remake.

What is with the doom and gloom surrounding Spider-Man here? It seems to be doing fine?

I will wait for the domestic + international take from the second week before claiming it is doomed.

How can it be doomed? Even if the legs aren't great, it's a solid hit.

Or is this one of those "if it doesn't make 3x its production budget, it lost money" things?

$9.9m for Spidey, probably headed for a 55-60% drop this weekend.

Seems pretty typical of a blockbuster.

What is with the doom and gloom surrounding Spider-Man here? It seems to be doing fine?

I will wait for the domestic + international take from the second week before claiming it is doomed.
Nobody is claiming doom. Just it probably having normal, instead of spectacular legs for a superhero film.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
There's one guy who thinks less than $1B means it's doomed. I think Spidey is having the run most of us predicted, maybe slightly less so.

Top Bottom