• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 07•07-09•17 - Minions cede dominion over box office, Homecoming KING

I think Dark Tower will be fine. Nothing amazing but not a train wreck either. Around 60-70's RT

As much as I'm pulling for it as a fan of the source material (I know that should make me more down on it but whatever) I'm thinking Dark Tower is getting around 40% on RT, being optimistic.

Slayven

BoxOfficeMojo has the breakdowns for domestic in a link on the frontpage.

Disney at the top, Paramount at the bottom. Unless you count the fact that Sony/Columbia isn't that far ahead of Paramount, but has... four more movies for 2017 so far?

Damn for every hit Paramount had, they have 2 bombs to cancel it out. This is fascinating shit. Lion gate has Rock Dog AND La La Land on the books.

Beauty and the Beast came really close to topping Frozen to be Disney's biggest princess film worldwide. Frozen will stay ahead by a bit less than $15M.

Pretty impressive given the current exchange rates.

Baby Driver only loses 183 venues this weekend, keeping it over 3k for another week. Meanwhile, Transformers dropped another 918, giving it fewer venues in its fourth weekend than Wonder Woman has in its seventh.

The fact that Wonder Woman outdid a Bay film to that extent, Transformers no less, and is now on a mad tear to 390+ milly.... its just mind blowing.

To think some people were questioning if it'd turn a profit or flop.

I don't think anyone here questioned Wonder Woman doing well. I just think nobody saw it doing as well as it has. Especially domestically. The legs of doom.

At my most skeptical, back in Feb when WB seemed wobbly on their DCEU plans and were eyeballing options for moving forward, I thought even if it did well, it basically wouldn't matter to them, that Justice League was going to be the measuring stick, and Wonder Woman would be more or less a placeholder before the nitty gritty got down

I figured "Doing well" would mean largely B grades critically, and maybe nosing over 200mil domestic. Good, but not good enough to relieve any of that pressure.

And then Diana knees all expectations critically and financially out of of a fucking window while flying over a rooftop.

Figured Wonder Woman would get a decent pop from being the first major female led super hero film of the modern comic film age, but then it had to go and be really damn good and shame all the other DCEU stuff on top of that to grow those legs of doom and show almost everything up.
The foreign haul is good, but the domestic run has been absolutely nuts.

I don't think anyone here questioned Wonder Woman doing well. I just think nobody saw it doing as well as it has. Especially domestically. The legs of doom.

I did. If I had any source of doubt, it was in WB to actually make a good movie. But I knew if it was at least pretty enjoyable, it'd kill, and it has.

Seriously, I'm still disappointed so many people doubted how great Wonder Woman could perform at the box office. Regardless of what anybody has to say on the subject, she is an icon. One of the greatest in all of comics. I'm glad she's finally getting her turn. I'm glad women get this shining example of their spending power and box office draw.

I always thought WW would do well but for me that meant somewhere in the 450 to 600 million range. I expected a Batman Begins situation basically. A slow but encouraging start for the franchise in order to build some credibility (since the DCEU really didn't have any, unlike Marvel) and a bigger sequel if the original was well received. Glad I was wrong though.

But I've been saying for months that WB execs are bracing themselves for Justice League and that this is not where they're placing their bets. They want it to do great of course (and it very well might) but this is their third DCEU Snyder film, they know it'll be divisive no matter what. Justice League seems to be mostly irrelevant for the plans they have in place right now, between WW2, Batman, Sirens, Nightwing and co. The only thing Justice League will decide is wether or not we're getting a Cyborg movie.

Slayven

I always thought WW would do well but for me that meant somewhere in the 450 to 600 million range. I expected a Batman Begins situation basically. A slow but encouraging start for the franchise in order to build some credibility (since the DCEU really didn't have any, unlike Marvel) and a bigger sequel if the original was well received. Glad I was wrong though.

But I've been saying for months that WB execs are bracing themselves for Justice League and that this is not where they're placing their bets. They want it to do great of course (and it very well might) but this is their third DCEU Snyder film, they know it'll be divisive no matter what. Justice League seems to be mostly irrelevant for the plans they have in place right now, between WW2, Batman, Sirens, Nightwing and co. The only thing Justice League will decide is wether or not we're getting a Cyborg movie.

The Justice League takes will be hotter then Firestorm

I'm glad she's finally getting her turn. I'm glad women get this shining example of their spending power and box office draw.
Even if I am not as enamoured with the film as others on here, I absolutely love the success the film is getting for the reasons you listed.
I know we got an audience breakdown on opening weekend, but I am curious as to the breakdown for the subsequent weeks.

Nah, BvS decided whether or not we're getting a Cyborg movie (we're not).

I think that JL's reception will decide whether they try and stick with the DCEU as heavily continuity based like the MCU, or if each film will be more free to do its own thing with only the occasional nod or cameo.

Ross61

I don't know why people think we won't get a Cyborg film. His chances of getting a film are the same as any film that's not in production or named Aquaman.

I thought Wonder Woman would do well. I mean, Ant-Man made 500 Million Worldwide so no way Diana would do worse than that. But I never thought it would do the astronomical numbers that it ended up doing. Marvel Studios gotta be kicking themselves for waiting so long to do a Female led film. And they had time!

That said, I think this goes to show how much representation matters. Which is good news for Black Panther.

Not

Banned
I thought Wonder Woman would do well. I mean, Ant-Man made 500 Million Worldwide so no way Diana would do worse than that. But I never thought it would do the astronomical numbers that it ended up doing. Marvel Studios gotta be kicking themselves for waiting so long to do a Female led film. And they had time!

Perlmutter wouldn't let them

That said, I think this goes to show how much representation matters. Which is good news for Black Panther.

At the end of the day it's not a competition between Marvel Studios and WB's DC films (and Fox, Sony, etc), but like with Avengers team-up coming before Justice League, some of the novelty is lost by not being the pioneer. For most, Wonder Woman is the first superheroine movie (until a dork runs out to say "Well, actually, Supergirl came out in 1984.")

Still, Wonder Woman is a great movie that would've done well regardless. It's just getting a boost for releasing at the right time. Who can really say. It's all hypothetical. Or, alternatively, Wonder Woman is making it easier for other superheroine movies to succeed. Again, who can say. Depending on Silver & Black's date, there's no way to tell until 2019.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
At the end of the day it's not a competition between Marvel Studios and WB's DC films (and Fox, Sony, etc), but like with Avengers team-up coming before Justice League, some of the novelty is lost by not being the pioneer. For most, Wonder Woman is the first superheroine movie (until a dork runs out to say "Well, actually, Supergirl came out in 1984.")

Still, Wonder Woman is a great movie that would've done well regardless. It's just getting a boost for releasing at the right time. Who can really say. It's all hypothetical. Or, alternatively, Wonder Woman is making it easier for other superheroine movies to succeed. Again, who can say. Depending on Silver & Black's date, there's no way to tell until 2019.
I think WW greatest legacy will be movie female directors in action blockbusters. Woman led superhero movies have existed for a long time and have also notoriously been short. I think a not insignificant part of that is most weren't designed to be appealing to women in the first and if they were it was largely some condesending drivel from a male director. A primarily woman's creative guidance from a competant helped ensure this didn't fall into those pitfalls and was truly about empowering women much like most successful make superhero movies do for men.

Marvel already knew this but they were waaaaay to slow to capitalise on this and frankly they deserve it.

Why the fuck does black widow not have her own movie and yet even z list male heroes had there's.

Kolx

So does Sony actually make bank from this? Cost to make is 175$ million and the same to market it (I'd think more but let's leave it there). I remember reading somewhere that films gross is 60% in the US and 50% in ROTW. 55% gross in average since the movie is 50\50 right now and the movie will need to hit ~700 million to be in the black. 900 million WW would mean something like 100 million in profit which doesn't sound like that much. I feel there is something wrong because this seems like a bit too low?!

Busty

Banned
I don't know why people think we won't get a Cyborg film. His chances of getting a film are the same as any film that's not in production or named Aquaman.

I've said this time and again, there's no way that WB makes a solo film for every member of the Justice League except Cyborg, the African American one.

Worst case scenario they'll fold his film into The Flash's for a buddy movie or they'll just make his project The Titans film.

So does Sony actually make bank from this? Cost to make is 175$ million and the same to market it (I'd think more but let's leave it there). I remember reading somewhere that films gross is 60% in the US and 50% in ROTW. 55% gross in average since the movie is 50\50 right now and the movie will need to hit ~700 million to be in the black. 900 million WW would mean something like 100 million in profit which doesn't sound like that much. I feel there is something wrong because this seems like a bit too low?!

It's late, so I don't have time to look at the napkin math, but profits tend to be $100-200 million off the top of my head.

Deadline tend to break down the profit estimates and they covered a whole bunch of the biggest films of 2016.

All told, here are some of the profit numbers:

Moana - $121 million
Doctor Strange - $122 million
Suicide Squad - $158 million
Civil War - $193 million

Rogue One - $319 million
Deadpool - $322 million
Secret Life of Pets - $374 million

I'd personally expect Spider-Man Homecoming to hit in the Suicide Squad range. Similar budgets, though I'd expect Spider-Man to land slightly higher in the wash.

I've said this time and again, there's no way that WB makes a solo film for every member of the Justice League except Cyborg, the African American one.

Worst case scenario they'll fold his film into The Flash's for a buddy movie or they'll just make his project The Titans film.

Well remember, they have a minority Aquaman and Green Lanterns to cover them. I doubt they'll drop Cyborg completely, but I think they'll tweak the character a bit for a full feature.

I still think if they pick up a director like Raimi, Cyborg could be something.

Angel_DvA

I thought Apes was pretty good, but.. "War for the Planet of the Apes" was a terrible title for the film this ended up being.

You mean the movie doesn't have that much war scene ? The title for the second episode was also misleading and totally goes against my expectations who leads me to dislike the movie, is it the same here ?

I think WW greatest legacy will be movie female directors in action blockbusters. Woman led superhero movies have existed for a long time and have also notoriously been short. I think a not insignificant part of that is most weren't designed to be appealing to women in the first and if they were it was largely some condesending drivel from a male director. A primarily woman's creative guidance from a competant helped ensure this didn't fall into those pitfalls and was truly about empowering women much like most successful make superhero movies do for men.

Marvel already knew this but they were waaaaay to slow to capitalise on this and frankly they deserve it.

Why the fuck does black widow not have her own movie and yet even z list male heroes had there's.

It's already been said in this thread, but Perlmutter is probably the biggest reason there's no Black Widow movie. The same Perlmutter that once sent an e-mail to Sony about how unsuccessful female led superheroes have been over the past 20 years. The same Perlmutter that, more than likely, said Mya Hansen couldn't be the primary villain for Iron Man 3 because they needed to be able to sell toys to kids.

And as far as females directing action blockbusters, while Wonder Woman was an important step, we need to move beyond the idea that women directors being needed to tell women's stories, and realize that they can tell men's stories as well. We shouldn't be stuck in a place where the only time women get to direct action movies is when there's a female lead. My personal hot take on the issue is that if Jenkins had stayed on and done Thor 2, and it had been good, it would have been better for women directors than her being successful with Wonder Woman, because it would have shown that the story doesn't have to be focused on a woman for a woman to be able to tell the story (which should be obvious, but then again, this is Hollywood).

Edit: Also, even with the success of Wonder Woman, WB/DC has two other female led comic book movies in the works, and neither one is currently being helmed by a woman (Whedon and Batgirl, and I believe Ayer is still attached to Gotham City Sirens).

A few months back I heard Cyborg's movie would involve the Metal Men. Made sense to me. Like Suicide Squad and JLDark, Metal Men as a project has been kicking around WB for years.

It's already been said in this thread, but Perlmutter is probably the biggest reason there's no Black Widow movie. The same Perlmutter that once sent an e-mail to Sony about how unsuccessful female led superheroes have been over the past 20 years. The same Perlmutter that, more than likely, said Mya Hansen couldn't be the primary villain for Iron Man 3 because they needed to be able to sell toys to kids.

And as far as females directing action blockbusters, while Wonder Woman was an important step, we need to move beyond the idea that women directors being needed to tell women's stories, and realize that they can tell men's stories as well. We shouldn't be stuck in a place where the only time women get to direct action movies is when there's a female lead. My personal hot take on the issue is that if Jenkins had stayed on and done Thor 2, and it had been good, it would have been better for women directors than her being successful with Wonder Woman, because it would have shown that the story doesn't have to be focused on a woman for a woman to be able to tell the story (which should be obvious, but then again, this is Hollywood).

Edit: Also, even with the success of Wonder Woman, WB/DC has two other female led comic book movies in the works, and neither one is currently being helmed by a woman (Whedon and Batgirl, and I believe Ayer is still attached to Gotham City Sirens).

Most of Kathryn Bigelow's movies have had male protagonists, so that's something.

BumRush

Phonciple, from the other thread, my thoughts on Arrival (which I had already seen): I thought it was fantastic and one of the best sci-fi films in years. The pacing - which I'm sure many considered slow - was exactly what made the ending so impactful. There was an underlying tension that kept building throughout the film.

samar11

Marvel studios can make what ever the fuck they want and it will bring similar numbers to WW, they are not kicking themselves because of a female comic movie doing well.

samar11

They made bank in every spider-man movie they made. What are you talking about ? wtf lol

gamz

At my most skeptical, back in Feb when WB seemed wobbly on their DCEU plans and were eyeballing options for moving forward, I thought even if it did well, it basically wouldn't matter to them, that Justice League was going to be the measuring stick, and Wonder Woman would be more or less a placeholder before the nitty gritty got down

I figured "Doing well" would mean largely B grades critically, and maybe nosing over 200mil domestic. Good, but not good enough to relieve any of that pressure.

And then Diana knees all expectations critically and financially out of of a fucking window while flying over a rooftop.

I remember you starting a thread that the marketing was non existent 2-3 months before release and WB was trying to bury it and such.

Just like Goddess intended

Cheebo

Banned
You mean the movie doesn't have that much war scene ? The title for the second episode was also misleading and totally goes against my expectations who leads me to dislike the movie, is it the same here ?
Don't go in expecting action scenes. The movie is absolutely fantastic in every possible way though. Best Apes movie of the new series by far . It has very little action, but that is a good thing.

firelogic

I'm all for diversity and inclusion, but I don't understand the mindset of, "a female led movie must be directed by a female" or "a movie with a black protagonist must be helmed by a black director." It just seems weird. If it works out that they're the best candidate, fantastic, but forcing it doesn't make sense.

gamz

I'm all for diversity and inclusion, but I don't understand the mindset of, "a female led movie must be directed by a female" or "a movie with a black protagonist must be helmed by a black director." It just seems weird. If it works out that they're the best candidate, fantastic, but forcing it doesn't make sense.

Not sure it's ever forced? There's plenty of female and black directors who deserve a chance based on the subject matter. Who knows females or blacks more then actual females or Blacks. It's common sense really.

Even if I am not as enamoured with the film as others on here, I absolutely love the success the film is getting for the reasons you listed.
I know we got an audience breakdown on opening weekend, but I am curious as to the breakdown for the subsequent weeks.

You know what's funny? As much as I believed in the film, I'm not either lol. Thought it was just good. But good was enough for THE female superhero, especially coming after the two steaming piles of shit that are BvS and SS.

This is the opposite of fire logic. It's quite horrible, actually.

Top Bottom