• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 07•07-09•17 - Minions cede dominion over box office, Homecoming KING

Pf8ju5xbWNzccZfbUn6TR1CX-np9RgEl0S-zvs8ZmENWCsgAyoCDMBQIDlLplf0ro6UL=w300
People weren't really starving for a good Spider-Man movie like they did for Star Wars. Think about it, there's a huge gap between TFA and RotJ, unless you liked the prequels.

The conditions surrounding a new Star Wars movie and a new Spider-Man movie are incomparable.

But it is a good refutation of Bobby's statement lol.

Spider-Man is also not as big as Star Wars.

And TFA had every fan of the original trilogy *and* every fan of the prequels (there are some!) excited. Basically, everybody wanted this movie.

Not everyone wanted another Spider-Man reboot. If it weren't set in the MCU, even being good quality, it might have bombed.

Bronx-Man

Banned
oooOOOOOOH

(also, one of the major differences there is that it'd been 30 years since Return of the Jedi and 10 years since the last Star Wars movie)

(also ugh that poster)

People weren't really starving for a good Spider-Man movie like they did for Star Wars. Think about it, there's a huge gap between TFA and RotJ, unless you liked the prequels.
You're right, I'm just saying that delivering on the promise of "Hey guys, we learned how to make good movies with this again!" can be a pretty big hook for blockbusters. Now I wonder how big this would've been if the ASM movies never happened and there was just a 10-year gap between Spider-Man 3 and Homecoming.

The mainstream Spidey fan got their decent movies in the 2000s. I'll even throw in ASM which was 2012 and got ok reception. Nobody was thirsty like they were for Star Wars. That well was untouched for decades.

Slayven

At first I thought, 'It still has to be released in China', but that happened weeks ago. So if there are no more major territories for it to open in..., is it going to finish it's run with less than $600m worldwide?

I feel like there's something i'm missing here because if not..,

Yikes.

China don't care

I imagine we will start hearing rumors about a reboot soon

Bronx-Man

Banned
Man no it ain't. You just explained why.

(besides which I have a hard time believing the primary emotional response to that good Star Wars movie was "relief")
You weren't relieved that we got a SW movie without midichlorians or trade federations for the first time in 30 years?

And TFA had every fan of the original trilogy *and* every fan of the prequels (there are some!) excited. Basically, everybody wanted this movie.

Not everyone wanted another Spider-Man reboot. If it weren't set in the MCU, even being good quality, it might have bombed.

If it weren't in the MCU, I'm confident it would've come very close. I'm one of the biggest Spidey fans around and I would've skipped that.

Hell, there are hardcore MCU stans that are sour on Homecoming because they wanted Miles/because it pushed back Black Panther and Captain Marvel by just a few months/some other bullshit.

You weren't relieved that we got a SW movie without midichlorians or trade federations for the first time in 30 years?

Relief happened in the first 4 minutes with that whole "Who talks first, you talk first? I talk first?"

The rest of the movie provided enough interesting shit aside from "Oh good, they didn't fuck it up" to propel it forward, I think.

casiopao

You mean there's an alternate timeline where I didn't have to watch The Amazing Spider-Man 2? Where it doesn't exist?

Screen_Shot_2012-09-13_at_9.39.39_AM.png

At least AS2 give me moar of Emma Stone goodness.^^ For how bad the show is, the chemistry between Emma and Garfield is top notch.^^

kunonabi

As a huge of the original six movies i wasnt excited for it at all and only eventually went because my dad wanted to go. Its one of only two sw movies ive only seen once.

The other was rogue one.

kswiston

I'm not sure what has happened in here since I checked a few hours ago...

So Spider-Man Homecoming is probably looking at anything from $42M to $47M this weekend depending on increases today or tomorrow. It would beed an amazing Friday bump to go higher.

$45M would put it at just under where I thought it would be after Monday's number. Spider-Man 2 made just over $45M in its second weekend, after weekdays that were comparable to Homecoming's (minus the holiday Monday).

I'm not sure what has happened in here since I checked a few hours ago...

So Spider-Man Homecoming is probably looking at anything from $42M to $47M this weekend depending on increases today or tomorrow. It would beed an amazing Friday bump to go higher.

$45M would put it at just under where I thought it would be aftwr Monday's number. Spider-Man 2 made just over $45M in its second weekend, after weekdays thst were comparable to Homecoming's (minus the holiday Monday).
Why is it expected to drop so much? BOM had it at 55% with $57.3 for the weekend. You are telling me it is going to be more than 60% drop?

I think ASM2, like Transformers 3, should be mandatory viewing.

Just to get some perspective on how bad things can truly be.

In the interest of not requiring people to watch multiple horrible movies to get the point across, I'd merely make Suicide Squad mandatory viewing.

Cause, holy fucking shit.

kswiston

Why is it expected to drop so much? BOM had it at 55% with $57.3 for the weekend. You are telling me it is going to be more than 60% drop?

I don't know where they pulled that estimate from. They had a Wednesday number to work with.

I am assuming that they just looked at last weekend, and guessed a 55% drop without taking the weekdays into account. Because to get a $57M weekend from Wednesday's number, Spider-Man would have had to be nearly flat yesterday, increase close to 70% today, and increase another 40% tomorrow.

It's the middle of summer. Weekend increases are muted.

Top Bottom