• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 07•07-09•17 - Minions cede dominion over box office, Homecoming KING

J_Viper

I see you J.

you little fuckin whippersnapper you.

IMG_0880.jpg

ArmGunar

Deadline early Friday Numbers:

Apes - $18.5-20M
Spider-Man - $14M
Despicable Me 3 - $7.5M
The Big Sick - $3M
Wish Upon - $1.5M

They tentatively have Apes at $50-55M this weekend. Dawn made $27.6M on its first day. Rise made $19.5M

These numbers for Apes include THU previews ?

EDIT : it's included
EDIT 2 : thanks kswiston

Part of me wants to say that they let that review embargo drop too early. I get what they were trying to do, but it feels like the movie came out already. All the "Wow, look at how well Apes is doing" chatter died down.

Double Toasted actually decided to talk about the movie again this week because people forgot they had already reviewed it two weeks ago and were asking about it.
It does actually feel that way to me. I know it released this week but it feels like something that released a week ago with the GAF chatter and everything.

Weird I thought good previous word of mouth and reception would carry Apes to the biggest opening weekend of the franchise.
I've mentioned it before, but I don't think audiences liked Dawn nearly as much as people think; legs were merely decent and it's weekend drops never stabilized like films with good WOMs do.

Too bad for Apes but at least we got an entire trilogy that should stand the test of time. The movie will find its audience eventually even if it doesn't quite match Fox's expectations.

General audience is clearly saving money for Valerian next week.

=(

I'll be there for you Luc.
Well, provided the movie is actually screened in my city in VO so maybe not.

If Spider-Man drops that much, does that mean the WW will end up with a higher domestic total, in likelihood?

Even underselling Spidey at first I never thought WW could outpace it.

EDIT: I need to watch the Apes movies someday.

Yeah, the question is whether Spidey will get to within 75mil of Diana's total.

If it actually does finish somewhere around 290, Wonder Woman will have beaten it by around 100mil, domestically.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
If Spider-Man drops that much, does that mean the WW will end up with a higher domestic total, in likelihood?

Even underselling Spidey at first I never thought WW could outpace it.
That was an almost certainty the second $400 million was in sight for WW. It would have literally required Spider-Man 1 level legs to pass it.

World wide is the real question now. We is on track for 800 million and for a brand as popular world wide as Spider-Man 800 million + is alsk expected.

jett

D-Member
I hope Deadline are wrong for Apes

I am more worried about Valerian now

Luc Besson is going to wish he got Jupiter Ascending figures.

Part of me wants to say that they let that review embargo drop too early. I get what they were trying to do, but it feels like the movie came out already. All the "Wow, look at how well Apes is doing" chatter died down.

Double Toasted actually decided to talk about the movie again this week because people forgot they had already reviewed it two weeks ago and were asking about it.

You might be right. Fox maybe didn't pave the way right for the hype train.

I've mentioned it before, but I don't think audiences liked Dawn nearly as much as people think; legs were merely decent and it's weekend drops never stabilized like films with good WOMs do.
I guess. I always thought both movies had been well received.

kswiston

You dislike?

Also, missed that about Spider-Man. I don't follow numbers closely usually and didn't know what the expected multipliers would be.

As wrong as I (and many others) were about Wonder Woman's total after its opening weekend, you can typically take a comic film, multiply its OW by 2.25-3x and correctly predict the range of its domestic gross about 80% of the time.

Summer is probably closer to 2.5-3x, while spring (including May) is probably closer to 2.25-2.75x. Summer weekdays help.

Toa TAK

Banned
Show me a realistic scenario where Valerian opens to less than $100m. I'm waiting.
I dunno

Maybe the one where it ain't drawin' a lot of hype despite good reviews (like Apes) and it opens on the same day as another big blockbuster (Dunkirk)?

But hey--anything's possible. I don't get the money from them either way.

FTF

Weird I thought good previous word of mouth and reception would carry Apes to the biggest opening weekend of the franchise.

It was sent to die sort of speak sandwiched between Spidey and Dunkirk. And while Dunkirk isn't a huge draw ala WW or SM, all three share a big part of the same demographic. So peole are seeing spidey, want to see Dunkirk, and may be skipping on Apes atm.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
I dunno

Maybe the one where it ain't drawin' a lot of hype despite good reviews (like Apes) and it opens on the same day as another big blockbuster (Dunkirk)?

$150m OW

kswiston

I dunno

Does Valerian even count as having good reviews? 5.9 average on RT. 47 on metacritic. The tomatometer score is likely to drop with more reviews. Reviews arent terrible, but if Spider-man got those scores, people would be calling it a failure.

Does Valerian even count as having good reviews. 5.9 average on RT. 47 on metacritic. The tomatometer score is likely to drop with more reviews. Reviews arent terrible, but if Spider-man got those scores, people would be calling it a failure.

yeahhhhh you can usually predict the swings in % based on avg score. early 7s usually hold but stuff in the 5/6 range can drop fast

wouldn't be shocked if it ends up low 60s or 50s all said and done

Toa TAK

Banned
Maybe Valerian got "better than I thought" backhanded compliments that counted as positive reviews.

Andrew Garfield chose the correct path post-ASM2. DeHaan did not.

CORRECT. Dude was good before ASM, and I remember being pleased when he was taking over as Peter. Too bad the movies blew.

You mean there's an alternate timeline where I didn't have to watch The Amazing Spider-Man 2? Where it doesn't exist?

Screen_Shot_2012-09-13_at_9.39.39_AM.png

I've only watch Amazing 2 is bits and pieces on television. I've never seen Transformers 3 and 4.

You WANT to be there for the JL Review thread. Because no matter how it reviews you'll be entertained.

I want Justice League to do well, because I love those characters. But you're right.

If it's great and makes bank, DC fans will crow to high heaven about it. If it's bad, Marvel fans will drag it through the mud.

My hope is that it's good and makes as much as eh... Civil War. Marvel fans can't talk shit too much and DC fans are happy about being on top.

I just want all my favorite comic characters to be in good films.

kswiston

Transformers 5 still has Japan, Spain, and a few of the bigger Latin American markets left to open in.

Edit: those markets were worth $110M to Age of Extinction.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
I saw Apes, and it was good to okay. I'm kinda eh on it in general, but that's because even though the second one is the best, I still like the first one more. Valerian continues to look awful every time I see a trailer. They really should just make a Mass Effect movie and stop trying to copy it. Hell make a Mass Effect television series, it would be more original than the millionth Star Trek movie/series...
My fiancée and her father would so hate me for saying that.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
I saw Apes, and it was good to okay. I'm kinda eh on it in general, but that's because even though the second one is the best, I still like the first one more. Valerian continues to look awful every time I see a trailer. They really should just make a Mass Effect movie and stop trying to copy it. Hell make a Mass Effect television series, it would be more original than the millionth Star Trek movie/series...
It's in no way a copy of Mass Effect.

Sigourney Weaver:

”Having read all four of them, I think they're absolutely extraordinary and worth the wait."

I mean - she thought Blomkamp's Alien 5 was gonna be amazing too. So like...

I dunno. Weren't those movies supposed to basically be stand-alones or something (whenever it is they actually finally come out)? Is she going to be the link? I guess if she's in the tree that might make sense.

Schlorgan

I want Justin Lin to do Mass Effect with the special effects and make-up teams from Star Trek Beyond.

J_Viper

So you're sayin' Valerian is the real Mass Effect Andromeda

I want Justin Lin to do Mass Effect with the special effects and make-up teams from Star Trek Beyond.
I'm thinking about how perfect Paul Walker would have been as default male Shep and now I'm sad

overcast

Shit, that's bad for Apes. Gonna get its legs cut the hell off next week too. Why did nobody go for the August spot.

Anyway, how's Baby Driver projected to do this weekend?

Shit, that's bad for Apes. Gonna get its legs cut the hell off next week too. Why did nobody go for the August spot.

Anyway, how's Baby Driver projected to do this weekend?

Man, speaking of August - how much more money you think it woulda made in its original spot with that word of mouth helping it navigate the obstacle course of Summer?

Top Bottom