• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 07•07-09•17 - Minions cede dominion over box office, Homecoming KING

...Nah

I actually expect JL to do well, critically and commercially, but I still think that thread will be a shit show.

a1Xp6_s-200x150.gif

We should do a mock review thread first, like a week before the embargo lifts, just to get it out of our systems. I can provide fake blurbs if necessary.

Chris Stuckmann: "Surprisingly, I was a huge Justice League fan as a kid, so I was really anticipating this movie. Can you see the pile of comics in the background?"

Campea: "Despite the blight upon existence that is Gal Gadot, this movie is a masterpiece. 8.75/10"

Bronx-Man

Banned
You guys are really hyping up the JL thread when it's almost guaranteed to be nowhere near as iconic as Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice's* was. It's gonna be the Mayweather vs Pacquiao of GAF threads.

I still can't believe that's the actual title they went with, jesus christ.

We should do a mock review thread first, like a week before the embargo lifts, just to get it out of our systems. I can provide fake blurbs if necessary.

Chris Stuckmann: "Surprisingly, I was a huge Justice League fan as a kid, so I was really anticipating this movie. Can you see the pile of comics in the background?"

Campea: "Despite the blight upon existence that is Gal Gadot, this movie is a masterpiece. 8.75/10"
Stuckman is gonna have all the JL action figures and an unopened DVD copy of Justice League Season 1in the background.

IT should easily do $1 billion worldwide. It had the highest amount of trailer views among any movies, even Star Wars: The Force Awakens was no match against IT proving that scary clowns are a true global phenomenon.

After that, IT sequel will light the charts on fire by creating new box office record and making $2 billion worldwide.

Got some info from marketing guy on what they've gotten from overseas(AKA some of the things Disney sent over that they're going to reveal at D23):
Han Solo poster is just a big spaceship(not the Falcon, described as quite ugly) with the title just being Han Solo as far as he knows and the Ant-Man and Wasp poster that's just the two heroes in costume with the title in red and yellow. Also got a new TLJ poster. He has no part in the animated movies so nothing from them.

What does Campea have against Gal anyways?

Got some info from marketing guy on what they've gotten from overseas(AKA some of the things Disney sent over that they're going to reveal at D23):
Han Solo poster is just a big spaceship(not the Falcon, described as quite ugly) with the title just being Han Solo as far as he knows and the Ant-Man and Wasp poster that's just the two heroes in costume with the title in red and yellow. Also got a new TLJ poster. He has no part in the animated movies so nothing from them.

I mean, them just calling that thing
"Han Solo: A Star Wars Story"
wouldn't be unbelievable, considering that's practically what the general public is calling it already.

Also,
obtaining the Falcon
is most definitely a plot point if that poster focus is indeed correct.

Toa TAK

Banned
You guys are really hyping up the JL thread when it's almost guaranteed to be nowhere near as iconic as Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice's* was. It's gonna be the Mayweather vs Pacquiao of GAF threads.
Naw. The scramble between MCU and DCEU (?) buffs will be great.

It's gonna be great.

kswiston

Everyone will have to break out their White Stripes playlist for the Justice League thread. Nothing says Justice League like a bass drum.

What does Campea have against Gal anyways?

I think it's a weird story about how he ruined Sif's actress' chance to play WW because he's a loudmouth jackass. So instead of being self aware about it being his own fault, he's trying to get revenge on Gal, or something. Again, it's weird.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Yeah, I only get to posting in here once a day or so but I'm still contributing another 20 posts or so per thread, probably. I'm sure it adds up.

"What the hell, why do you guys like talking to each other so much. How can you enjoy your own insular devolution like this? Don't you know you're doing this all wrong? Liking things? Joking around? Having fun?

I don't get it."

jett

D-Member
These threads have always had a lot of chat. We just picked up more regulars in the last 18-24 months.

Just these past few weeks traffic up in these threads seems much higher than before. Just some short time ago I remember you complaining about these threads not breaking a couple of pages. :p

bolded for accuracy

Nah.

I've been part of Box office GAF longer than you.

Maybe you should go back to being twitter-exclusive.

kswiston

Deadline early Friday Numbers:

Apes - $18.5-20M
Spider-Man - $14M
Despicable Me 3 - $7.5M
The Big Sick - $3M
Wish Upon - $1.5M

They tentatively have Apes at $50-55M this weekend. Dawn made $27.6M on its first day. Rise made $19.5M

Toa TAK

Banned

Apes - $18.5-20M
Spider-Man - $14M
Despicable Me 3 - $7.5M
The Big Sick - $3M
Wish Upon - $1.5M

They tentatively have Apes at $50-55M this weekend. Dawn made $27.6M on its first day. Rise made $19.5M
That a bit of a bummer, considering Dawn. I'm guessing War won't do as well between Spider-Man and Dunkirk?

Apes - $18.5-20M
Spider-Man - $14M
Despicable Me 3 - $7.5M
The Big Sick - $3M
Wish Upon - $1.5M

14mil Friday certainly seems more in line with your earlier call than with whatever BOM was predicting, yeah?

That's gonna be a drop north of 60%, right?

Apes - $18.5-20M
Spider-Man - $14M
Despicable Me 3 - $7.5M
The Big Sick - $3M
Wish Upon - $1.5M

Sounds right. The hype never reached that next level like it did for Dawn. I hope the good word spreads though and it holds for awhile. If any movie besides WW deserves all the money this summer, it's this one...then Dunkirk.

jett

D-Member

Apes - $18.5-20M
Spider-Man - $14M
Despicable Me 3 - $7.5M
The Big Sick - $3M
Wish Upon - $1.5M

Weird I thought good previous word of mouth and reception would carry Apes to the biggest opening weekend of the franchise.

General audience is clearly saving money for Valerian next week.

I'm still kinda curious about it, but I don't think I'm catching that until it hits 2nd run.

I thought it's first trailer was pretty damned good though. Very good usage of the Beatles.

ALSO: Good seeing the Big Sick up there. I need to catch that soon.

kswiston

14mil Friday certainly seems more in line with your earlier call than with whatever BOM was predicting, yeah?

That's gonna be a drop north of 60%, right?

I thought that Spidey would be below 60% early in the week, but the weekdays have been pointing towards this being a likely result.

I think that the drop will end up being 60-62%. Standard increases would give SMH about $46M if that Friday is accurate. Adjust up or down depending on Deadline's margin of error. Just shy of a 60% drop could happen if Friday is $14.5M and the Saturday increase is good.

Weird I thought good previous word of mouth and reception would carry Apes to the biggest opening weekend of the franchise.

This has felt like the Summer's Star Trek Beyond for a few weeks, even if Apes had much stronger reviews. Legs could be decent if Dunkirk doesnt hit too hard. However, the first apes had great legs. Not being the lowest domestic film in the series is going to be tough on a $55M opening.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that

Part of me wants to say that they let that review embargo drop too early. I get what they were trying to do, but it feels like the movie came out already. All the "Wow, look at how well Apes is doing" chatter died down.

Double Toasted actually decided to talk about the movie again this week because people forgot they had already reviewed it two weeks ago and were asking about it.

Top Bottom