• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 07•07-09•17 - Minions cede dominion over box office, Homecoming KING

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.
Sigourney Weaver:

“Having read all four of them, I think they’re absolutely extraordinary and worth the wait.”

I mean - she thought Blomkamp's Alien 5 was gonna be amazing too. So like...

I dunno. Weren't those movies supposed to basically be stand-alones or something (whenever it is they actually finally come out)? Is she going to be the link? I guess if she's in the tree that might make sense.

I would love to get my hands on that script...

Prompto

Banned
Man, speaking of August - how much more money you think it woulda made in its original spot with that word of mouth helping it navigate the obstacle course of Summer?
I'm not sure. I'm honestly starting to think Sony made the right move and the reason Baby Driver is doing well is cause it's good counter programming to Spider-Man and Despicable Me.

Man, speaking of August - how much more money you think it woulda made in its original spot with that word of mouth helping it navigate the obstacle course of Summer?

I think it would depend on Dunkirk's WOM. If the twitter reactions are legit amazing June may have been genius on Sony's part.

Hell, a cursory glance says Inception's 5th+ weekend runs were all greater than Scott Pilgrim's 1st+.

War for Apes is really great but I wouldn't be surprised if it fell quite a bit short of Dawn's BO. It's an even slower and heavier movie than that was, with stronger competition.

overcast

I wanna say it would have been huge in mid August? Idk.

I also don't think Dunkirk eats it in early August even with great legs. That movie is gonna be fun to see BO wise.

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.
Speaking of August releases, my showing of Spidey had a trailer for the Ryan Reynolds/Sam Jackson comedy The Hitman's Bodyguard, which I hadn't even heard of before.

Reynolds sure is lucky he has Deadpool.

My campaign against Baby Driver would've succeeded in August

I would've told everyone to go see another movie for my birthday, and when they tried otherwise I'd just start crying in the street

kswiston

I am happy to confirm the reports that you are all old

Soon you too will be in 30+ GAF

EDIT: We are only a handful of years away from having a future batch of Toa Taks who were born after the first Spider-man came out. The superhero fad will be older than them.

Is there a 30+ GAF Community?

All-Of-This-Reaction-Gif-On-Once-Upon-A-Time.gif

Didn't realize y'all were so old. No wonder I can never figure out how to break into this particular GAF community. It's all my youthful zest being repelled away by all this curmudgeonliness.

It's funny that he's in his 20s, but is still the youngest actor by far to play high school Spider-man.

In fairness, Tom Holland is playing 15 y/o Peter as a sophomore (I think) where Tobey and Andrew Garfield were likely playing 18 y/o seniors. By the time Holland is playing Peter at that age, he too will be in his mid-to-late 20s as well. Still, he'll be younger than they were.

And Joe Manganiello looked to be in his 30s in Spider-Man 1, but he's younger than Tobey was.

Didn't realize y'all were so old. No wonder I can never figure out how to break into this particular GAF community. It's all my youthful zest being repelled away by all this curmudgeonliness.

The magic of this is you will eventually become us and not the other way around. We just have to wait.

kswiston

In fairness, Tom Holland is playing 15 y/o Peter as a sophomore (I think) where Tobey and Andrew Garfield were likely playing 18 y/o seniors. By the time Holland is playing Peter at that age, he too will be in his mid-to-late 20s as well. Still, he'll be younger than they were.

And Joe Manganiello looked to be in his 30s in Spider-Man 1, but he's younger than Tobey was.

Spider-man Homecoming sort of insinuated that the MCU timeline is moving ahead in real time. So, Homecoming 2 might already be senior year.

The magic of this is you will eventually become us and not the other way around. We just have to wait.

I STILL GOT TIME THO

I won't be part of 30s GAF for another...

Ya know what, math is bad.

Spider-man Homecoming sort of insinuated that the MCU timeline is moving ahead in real time. So, Homecoming 2 might already be senior year.

I think Homecoming insinuated the MCU timeline is somehow being pushed backward, lol.

Didn't they say 8 years? Iron man 1 was 9 years ago.

Unless it was supposed to count from The Avengers.

8 years from Avengers - it was counting from the cleanup after the Chitauri (how the hell is that in my browser's dictionary without me adding it?) invasion. Unless it's a really weird retcon, it reads more like a weird error though.

One day they wake up and a Friday night isn't spent partying but finishing up little projects around the house, Netflix, and a sensible takeout dinner

Joke's on you, that was always my Friday night.

Feige has some contradictory statements out there saying the sequel will be his junior year but that it'd take place shortly after Infinity War (or whatever the second part is called). If it were progressing in real time it'll be two years, so yeah, a senior. But who knows.

Timeline for these connected movies are all unclear. The Black Panther's synopsis reads like it takes place soon if not immediately after Civil War, not well over a year since those events.

speak for yourself NERD

I get Fridays off in the summer, and the only thing I did today was finish cleaning up the old apartment/move the rest of my stuff to the new one

Schlorgan

Garfield was actually older in ASM than Maguire was in the first Raimi movie, though he was playing a younger Peter (Maguire was 27 in 2002, Garfield was 29 in 2012).

kswiston

If you were already done high school when YouTube, Facebook, and the iPhone took off, you are disqualified from Youth-GAF membership.

Top Bottom