• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 07•07-09•17 - Minions cede dominion over box office, Homecoming KING

Most of the stuff I watched consisted of '90s reruns and VHS, which meant I was a little out of touch when it came to the popular cartoons of my time, with the exception of Kim Possible (that was dope). Batman TAS and Beyond, X-Men TAS and Evolution, Spidey TAS, Hulk TAS, F4 TAS, Hey Arnold, Recess... That's just a bunch of the stuff.

Then there were reruns of Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman on BBC 2 block that also had Fresh Prince reruns (watched that too).

I "blame" my older sister.

Slayven

Most of the stuff I watched consisted of '90s reruns and VHS, which meant I was a little out of touch when it came to the popular cartoons of my time, with the exception of Kim Possible (that was dope). Batman TAS and Beyond, X-Men TAS and Evolution, Spidey TAS, Hulk TAS, F4 TAS, Hey Arnold, Recess... That's just a bunch of the stuff.

Then there were reruns of Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman on BBC 2 block that also had Fresh Prince reruns (watched that too).

I "blame" my older sister.

That was a strong block

shintoki

sparkle this bitch

Making me feel old!

A lot of that came out right after I hit the curve with cartoons, last kid's show I recalled getting into was Rocket Power. So I recall Arnold, but never got into Recess. Then it basically just became Gundam and DBZ.

I recall Rugrats and Doug on Nick being the first two. Along side What a Cartoon, being used to try pilots.

That was a strong block
It was! Had The Simpsons and (oddly) Malcolm in the Middle, when it was still new.
Making me feel old!

A lot of that came out right after I hit the curve with cartoons, last kid's show I recalled getting into was Rocket Power. So I recall Arnold, but never got into Recess. Then it basically just became Gundam and DBZ.
I hit that curve pretty young with TV cartoons. I think I stopped watching when I was 9 because nothing interested me (all the kids channels we had didn't show the good stuff anymore... or cartoons were shit at that time, I dunno).

kswiston

I still mention UPN from time to time to age check people.

UPN50 in Detroit used to be Fox 50. Our rabbit ears TV got that, and WB 20, which I think turned into the CW. ABC would sometimes work. My dad hogged the cable for himself.

In more on-topic news, Rth bumped up Apes to $21M. He's also saying around $2.6M for Baby Driver and $2M for Wonder Woman. If that holds, both are down about 33% from last Friday.

The first movie i saw in theaters was a Bambi/Song of the South double feature.

And before you be assholes it was a rerelease

Whoa, I also think Song of the South was my first movie. May have been paired with Pinocchio.

And I'm old enough to theoretically have kids in 30+ GAF.

How is season 2 of Crazy Ex Girlfriend compared to the first? I still need to catch up. It just came and went.
Damn good. Not quite as strong with the songs as the first season, but the character work is stronger. And oh, I really want to see what dark territory they take season 3 into after that finale.
Join us in the Crazy Ex thread!

Prompto

Banned
Damn good. Not quite as strong with the songs as the first season, but the character work is stronger. And oh, I really want to see what dark territory they take season 3 into after that finale.
Join us in the Crazy Ex thread!
Sweet. I'll take stronger character work over better musical numbers. Noticed season 2 is already up on Netflix so I'll definitely be watching finally.

Some off the cuff thoughts on all the shit I watched today

The Big Sick: Really quite good, except for Ray Romano. Dude just keeps playing continually worse versions of his Everybody Loves Raymond character.

Castlevania: Basically a movie that was cut into four parts, it's a really gory and sometimes hilarious animated show. I sure hope the production values are upped for season 2, though.

Okja: Really wanted to like this one, and I did like a good amount, but the tonal shifts, half-baked corporate aspects, and Jake Gyllenhaal putting on a career worst performance really brought it down.

Next up... Colossal. :O

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
I've seen quite a few of this summers movies now (just saw Apes which was excellent) and what a treat. I understand why our BO threads have been so large with this quality.

Sweet. I'll take stronger character work over better musical numbers. Noticed season 2 is already up on Netflix so I'll definitely be watching finally.
Season 2 was up a week after it ended. Bless the CW/Netflix deal. There are some truly standout songs (It Was a Shitshow), but the character development was stronger this season, particularly with Paula. Donna Lynne Champlin fucking killed it this season. Not just in her singing, but the shit her character went through. Fucking shame she didn't get an Emmy nom.

Save your time and skip it.
Careful. You will make Bronson cry.

I'm salty over Crazy Ex-Girlfriend being snubbed, especially Donna Lynne not getting a supporting Emmy nomination. Sucks the majority of Emmy voters don't watch the CW.

Who would of thought Wonder Woman would end having one of the biggest domestic runs for a super hero movie origin ever and though optismitically. in contention for the top spot

I predicted it'd do a little better than Captain America TFA before reviews hit and it turned out to be far and away the best movie to come out of WB/DC in decades.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

George what kind of accent is Tom Holland's real one?

I was watching a rerun of hot in cleveland and dude pulled out a
tmobile-g1-00-600x600-hero.png

The boss at my first post high school job had one, i thought it was hot shit at the time

I'm old enough that that was my 4th or 5th cell phone. And old enough that my university was one of the first 10-20 non-Ivy league schools allowed on Facebook. My Facebook account is old enough to have a GAF account, and about a year away from being old enough to drive.

Ushay

Wow, Wonder Woman smashed it hard.

Justice League has a lot to live up to. I wonder what Joss has done to amend it and if it ends up being amazing as a result.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Deadline Friday estimates:

Apes: 21.1m
Spider-Man: 13.6m
Despicable Me 3: 6.1m
Baby Driver: 2.5m
The Big Sick: 2.5m
Wonder Woman: 2m

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.
For what it's worth (not much), my screening of Spidey was almost empty yesterday, so I'm not sure what its legs are going to be like. I bet the showing of Wonder Woman had more people in it.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
It seems Spider-Man may have been extremely frontloaded which is not entirely surprising. The series is on its 6th film, and it seems this one doesn't do anything new (besides more Highschool stuff). And I think this could be a problem going forward. Almost every other superhero film has a variety locations and detail that make each film feel different. Spider-Man is now at the point where it feels like it's "been there and done that."

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Here is the issue with Spidey

Opens up

"Spiderman is so great, best Spidey, OMG Awesome"

Week later

"Damn, WW kicked a lot of ass"

J_Viper

Enjoyed the hell out of Homecoming, but I wonder if the more grounded and less set-piece driven take is less exciting to the general audience.

FTF

Deadline Friday estimates:

Apes: 21.1m
Spider-Man: 13.6m
Despicable Me 3: 6.1m
Baby Driver: 2.5m
The Big Sick: 2.5m
Wonder Woman: 2m

Looks like some are bumping Apes to 22.1

And yeah that's not a good # for SMH...shame, I thought it was great and would have strong wom. But strong comp from Apes and Dunkirk next week too. All share a large part of the same demo.

And keep that drive to 400 going WW!

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Looks like some are bumping Apes to 22.1

And yeah that's not a good # for SMH...shame, I thought it was great and would have strong wom. But strong comp from Apes and Dunkirk next week too. All share a large part of the same demo.

And keep that drive to 400 going WW!
I feel like Spider-Man is too much a known quantity and the movie was advertised a so safe that wasn't really going have much of an effect regardless.

I mean Marvel films have an exceptional critical run which establishes a security in watching their movies th st they'll at least be ok-pretty good. But after how many movies I don't think that'a going to drive new people to your franchise's anymore, they have to stand completely on their appeal.

Combine that with the high school setting which is still amongst the most boring from a casual audience (I mean regards of what needs say about how he wasn't really in high school the last two movies this is the third movie he's been in high school to the mainstream audience).

Add to that the trailers that make you feel like you've seem the film even kf tgey're not representative of how good the film actually is and you have this.

Peru

Enjoyed the hell out of Homecoming, but I wonder if the more grounded and less set-piece driven take is less exciting to the general audience.

I kinda wish they took it further. Like.. just drop the standard villain fight. Keep it high school antics and street level stuff with a climax that's more emotional. There was nothing really to care about in the final fight, villain was a nobody, academic quiz show would, in a way, have been a better way to close it off. Improve the lovey dovey stuff a bit and you've got the first MCU high school rom com.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch

It's a solid flick in a year of remarkable effort. After Logan, GOTG2, and WW, they really needed to push for more than a course correction film.

While not perfect, I do feel like American audiences have actual matured more in their flick tastes. Spectacle isn't enough anymore and more having a quality film that people will talk about is more important.

Top Bottom