• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd Box Office 05•22-24•15 - Disney's house is clean, Tomorrow lands @ #1

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckroll

After John Carter and Tomorrowland, I think it will be at least another half decade before Disney is willing to even try making another live action scifi blockbuster that isn't Star Wars.

hamchan

Some bean counter at Disney took 10 seconds to look at Tommorowland's box office, saw Tron Legacy's budget and box office, saw the proposed budget for Tron 3, and sent Bog Iger a note with the numbers, said "Do the math".

Bi-annual Star Wars and Pirates movies incoming

Haha Star Wars is already yearly.

spwolf

After John Carter and Tomorrowland, I think it will be at least another half decade before Disney is willing to even try making another live action scifi blockbuster that isn't Star Wars.

yep... so sad for sci-fi fans... crap like Paul Blart makes the though, film industry's love/hate relation with Sandler continues.

That's Lucasfilm.

Disney can do a live action Lilo & Stitch if they want a sci-fi blockbuster

(I'm serious. They should do it)

Abounder

Banned

What's kind of crazy is that Disney plans to release both Guardians of the Galaxy 2 and Star Wars Ep 8 in the same month, seems like it'd make more sense to spread out the scifi action over the summer

What's kind of crazy is that Disney plans to release both Guardians of the Galaxy 2 and Star Wars Ep 8 in the same month, seems like it'd make more sense to spread out the scifi action over the summer

Guardians might get bumped. Honestly, they should make Guardians an August movie every time anyway. It's more or less Marvel's Star Wars already.

kswiston

If Episode 7 sees big enough money, I can see the rest of the trilogy moving to December. The Hobbit has wrapped up, and the Hunger Games franchise will be done after this year, so there aren't any large regular franchises in the Holiday months at the moment.

If Episode 7 sees big enough money, I can see the rest of the trilogy moving to December. The Hobbit has wrapped up, and the Hunger Games franchise will be done after this year, so there aren't any large regular franchises in the Holiday months at the moment.

avatar 2 tho. if it wasn't for that then star wars would have become the december movies.

The odd thing about Avatar is that despite having made the most money, it's basically lacking from impact in popular culture. No one really cares for it I've found besides Cameron.

Cheebo

Banned
I can't see them delaying Episode VIII 6 months. They already have a release date (same weekend as the original Star Wars) and made a big deal that the release date is the 40th anniversary in the announcement. They are going to use the big anniversary as a major marketing push.

Hell Rian Johnson has already moved to London to begin full on pre-production on the film!

kswiston

Friday Studio Estimates:

1) San Andreas - $18.2M
2) Pitch Perfect 2 - $4.6M - $137M total
3) Mad Max: Fury Road - $3.9M - $106M
4) Tomorrowland - $3.8M - $53M total
5) Aloha - $3.6M
6) Avengers: Age of Ultron - $2.9M - $419M total

kswiston

San Andreas beat tracking expectations. $18M on Friday should easily mean $45M+ for the weekend. Perhaps as high as $50M. The film's budget was $110M according to Variety.

Age of Ultron is starting to pull ahead of Iron Man 3 with regards to late legs. It should be safe for $450M now. Iron Man 3 made an additional $30M from this point forward, and AoU only needs $31M to hit the $450M mark.

Aloha might open to $10M or so now. With a price tag of $37M, and a likely limited international run, it needed a bigger debut than that.

Mad Max is tracking favourably against the Great Gatsby, so I think $150M could happen.

Pitch Perfect 2 should end up somewhere between $175M and $200M.

guek

Banned
That's Lucasfilm.

Disney can do a live action Lilo & Stitch if they want a sci-fi blockbuster

(I'm serious. They should do it)

You monster.

In all seriousness though, I don't think this would be the best of ideas. The original has so much charm, a lot of which comes from the animation and art. .

I remember there being this weird, out-of-tune criticism of the film that it celebrated broken families or something along those lines. It was so weird, and I think it kinda damaged the film's reception? I dont' remember Disney being especially happy with it.

I fucking love that movie.

kswiston

Being a numbers nerd, I mainly remember Lilo and Stitch for having that photo finish loss to Minority Report in its first weekend.

That was a pretty good week for movies. The Bourne Identity was also a week old at that point.

Ohana means family, Bronson. I'm not taking Hawaii away from you. I'm sharing it with everybody!

You can't use that word! Only us True Hawaiians* can use it! Get your own movie!

*lol

But yeah, I love Lilo and Stitch so much. The sequel series and anime really fucked with me, though. Screw those.

Maybe Fox will make a Generation X movie with Mondo in it, so you can be him

I know fuck all about Mondo, but if I can do this

2104899-mo1.jpg

Then I'm in!

You monster.

In all seriousness though, I don't think this would be the best of ideas. The original has so much charm, a lot of which comes from the animation and art. .
Tia Carrere to play Nani again. Ving Rhames for Bubbles again. Jason Momoa for David if Jason Scott Lee can't reprise.

mreddie

Tomorrowland: Let's make a better tomorrow and stop with the doom and gloom = No one cares.
Mad Max/ San Andreas = Kill and Destroy Everything! = Everyone cares.

I just find that amusing.

Ridley327

Tomorrowland: Let's make a better tomorrow and stop with the doom and gloom = No one cares.

As someone who did see Tomorrowland, the good message isn't worth the 2 hours of bullshit to get to it.

Toothless

As someone who did see Tomorrowland, the good message isn't worth the 2 hours of bullshit to get to it.

I fail to understand how a "Dystopian sci-fi is literally causing the apocalypse" message can ever be considered a good message in any artform. Alarmist, self-important bullshit that pretty much negates any positives Tomorrowland might have.

Toxi

Banned

Mad Max is an incredibly optimistic movie about building a better tomorrow.

The characters just had to work to get there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom