• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd Box Office 05•22-24•15 - Disney's house is clean, Tomorrow lands @ #1

Status
Not open for further replies.

dabig2

It's not a bad film in the same sense Ace Ventura is not a bad film, but its artistry and, dare to say it, neccessity of existance is completely lost on me.

I've seen a lot of pretentious statements on my time here, and this one surely stands out.

Abounder

Banned
Hopefully Mad Max does get sequels (I would love to see them flesh out a trilogy and film back to back). The numbers aren't bad especially without China, and it's a franchise that is begging to be licensed with all the good buzz

Saving for my Ant-Man crow eating thread.

What's your prediction for Ant-Man? Above Man of Steel /ASM2 ($670million+)? Those numbers would be fantastic but I don't know if there's any competition

Dalek

Hopefully Mad Max does get sequels (I would love to see them flesh out a trilogy and film back to back). The numbers aren't bad especially without China, and it's a franchise that is begging to be licensed with all the good buzz

What's your prediction for Ant-Man? Above Man of Steel /ASM2 ($670million+)? Those numbers would be fantastic but I don't know if there's any competition

I honestly have no idea. If it were up to me Mad Max would have made a trillion dollars so I can't accurately predict anything.

guek

Banned
I'm expecting a world wide gross of about 450-500 mil for Ant-Man but what the hell do I know. My guess is just a shot in the dark :p

TDK had a lead actor who died. I know people like to think these things are convenient excuses, but that kind of thing, especially when it is coupled with a posthumous award consideration, tends to add numbers. Morning TV shows and talkshow hosts and the general press will all talk about the lead actor's death, asking the same damn questions, leading to the general public having a certain awareness of the film.

Even if he didn't die it still would have been a big hit. Maybe not second highest grossing but it would have definitely made big money. There was a lot of hype surrounding it even before ledger died.

ninjabat

Been a while since a romcom came out. Wonder if San Andreas can beat Aloha. Think Aloha might sneak the win. But I hope that San Andreas can come first for Dwayne Johnson. He is a cool dude.

Been a while since a romcom came out. Wonder if San Andreas can beat Aloha. Think Aloha might sneak the win. But I hope that San Andreas can come first for Dwayne Johnson. He is a cool dude.

Aloha will be the better movie, but San Andreas is going to easily outgross it because it's going to draw in the 'I have nothing better to do with my life than watch this expensive piece of shit' crowd.

Aloha will be the better movie, but San Andreas is going to easily outgross it because it's going to draw in the 'I have nothing better to do with my life than watch this expensive piece of shit' crowd.

the Avatar crowd?

Watch out Furious 7, we got a new BO champ in the making

kmfdmpig

This might be the best quote to explain the Volcano, Day After Tomorrow, 2012, San Andreas genre's popularity.

Lima

Mad Max will be fine. I'm also fairly sure we will get a sequel. I mean WB gave the man all this money, they are making a video game. Warner Bros. seem to be invested in this IP.

Alrus

I don't think a Disaster movie has done decently at the box office since 2012, so I'm not sure why people expect San Andreas to do particularly well.

I kinda want to see Fantastic Four outgross Ant-Man just because the internet would lose its mind. But that's probably not happening, Fantastic Four just looks bad.

Lima

Frist time seeing the trailer for this San Andreas. Jesus. So bad.

Is this some 2012 or Earthquake remake?

Don't you know? This is a documentary where they show the consequences of the next "Big One" happening. Dwayne The Rock Johnson is both narrator and main hero of the story. Coolio.

Furious 7 should pass $1.5 billion today. For reference, that's more than what Fast Five and F&F6 made combined. It is about 7 Mad Max: Fury Roads.

inm8num2

Mad Max will be fine. I'm also fairly sure we will get a sequel. I mean WB gave the man all this money, they are making a video game. Warner Bros. seem to be invested in this IP.

Agreed. All things considered Mad Max is doing well. It's not blowing away box office expectations, but it's meeting them just about on the nose.

I don't think a Disaster movie has done decently at the box office since 2012, so I'm not sure why people expect San Andreas to do particularly well.

What about Man of Steel and the Transformer movies? Again, it has to be an expensive piece of shit. The ones that come out with TV-budget effects won't cut it.

Prompto

Banned
We predicting for Ant-Man?

$500m worldwide.

And Fantastic Four?

$400m.
That seems about right. Maybe more for Ant-Man if word of mouth is good. Even if Fantastic Four is great, I don't think it'll make a difference.

Furious 7 should pass $1.5 billion today. For reference, that's more than what Fast Five and F&F6 made combined. It is about 7 Mad Max: Fury Roads.
Wow. Is it expected it'll exceed the first Avengers or is there still a chance it won't?

kswiston

Wow. Is it expected it'll exceed the first Avengers or is there still a chance it won't?

It's looking pretty likely at this point, though you are going to have to wait 3+ weeks for it to happen. Latin American legs have been much better than expected.

Ahasverus

the Avatar crowd?

200_s.gif

duckroll

I see San Andreas really struggling. In the world of blockbusters these days, audiences seem to crave extreme spectacle and escapism. It's not just about having expensive effects or explosions, it's about being totally over the top and ridiculous. Superheroes, aliens, dinosaurs, robots, superhero robot dinosaur aliens, etc. This is a "classic" disaster movie being sold as a human drama story. It's relatively grounded, it doesn't seem like the quake is the result of a government conspiracy. There probably isn't an intense shoot out with rogue agents trying to silence The Rock after he discovers a cover up. There are no aliens rising from the cracks of the Earth after the quake. Just doesn't seem enough.

guek

Banned
I see San Andreas really struggling. In the world of blockbusters these days, audiences seem to crave extreme spectacle and escapism. It's not just about having expensive effects or explosions, it's about being totally over the top and ridiculous. Superheroes, aliens, dinosaurs, robots, superhero robot dinosaur aliens, etc. This is a "classic" disaster movie being sold as a human drama story. It's relatively grounded, it doesn't seem like the quake is the result of a government conspiracy. There probably isn't an intense shoot out with rogue agents trying to silence The Rock after he discovers a cover up. There are no aliens rising from the cracks of the Earth after the quake. Just doesn't seem enough.

Pretty much my thoughts exactly. Watching cities get destroyed is so played out by now, a straightforward disaster movie would have to be a legitimately great film to get people into the theater. Considering Brad Peyton's previous directorial efforts are these two movies

11165487_ori.jpg
11120621_ori.jpg

that seems very unlikely. How did this guy get put in charge of a $100mil project?

Ridley327

Pretty much my thoughts exactly. Watching cities get destroyed is so played out by now, a straightforward disaster movie would have to be a legitimately great film to get people into the theater. Considering Brad Peyton's previous directorial efforts are these two movies

11165487_ori.jpg
11120621_ori.jpg

that seems very unlikely. How did this guy get put in charge of a $100mil project?

That first movie you posted did quite well at the box office.

Abounder

Banned
San Andreas will make its money back. Like Hercules it only has a $100 million budget, and Dwayne Johnson led Hercules to $240 million worldwide in October (and it wasn't even the first Hercules movie of the year lol). With Fast and the Furious 7 and the summer he should have more momentum. But breaking even in the long run is about as good as I expect; it'd be awesome if Dwayne Johnson becomes a super franchise himself though.

This would be lovely

2012 subverts this by being a human drama that aimed to destroy everything.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
I might catch San Andreas, kind of jonesing for a decent disaster flick actually.

That's pretty nuts, didn't realize Fast Five "only" made about $626 million.

Toothless

The San Andreas trailer cracks me up.

Daughter: *almost about to drown* "I... I love you, Dad!"
The Rock: "DON'T YOU DARE GIVE UP ON ME, NOT NOW!!!"

:lolol:

The Rock saves his family and half the city from the mother of all quakes. Also Carla Gugino and Alexandra Daddario.

I see no reason to not wish this movie nothing but success. (I'm currently wrestling with this awful sentence to make sure it makes sense btw)

Full, in theater exclusive, Star Wars trailer and boom you have a good Ant - Man opening weekend.

There is no trailer, not even a Star Wars one, that's going to make any real difference.

Especially not since trailers debut online up to a week before they ever get attached to a film anymore.

kswiston

There is no trailer, not even a Star Wars one, that's going to make any real difference.

Especially not since trailers debut online up to a week before they ever get attached to a film anymore.

It didn't even matter all that much before the age of media streaming. The first teaser trailer for Episode 1 was attached to Meet Joe Black, while the first full trailer was attached to Wing Commander back in 1998/1999. Meet Joe Black opened to $15M on its way to $45M, while Wing Commander scored $5M on its way to $11M. Pitt's Seven Years in Tibet opened at $10M ($37M in total) a year before, so I guess if you want to be generous, you could argue that the Star Wars trailer boosted business by $5M.

Cheebo

Banned
Was there ANYONE who predicted Furious 7 would not only beat Age of Ultron but the first Avengers as well?

Crazy, it is about to become the third highest grossing movie of all time. Behind only Avatar & Titanic.

kswiston

Was there ANYONE who predicted Furious 7 would not only beat Age of Ultron but the first Avengers as well?

Crazy, it is about to become the third highest grossing movie of all time. Behind only Avatar & Titanic.

I think the high end predictions were for the film to break $1B.

I thought $1.25-1.35B after the second weekend or so (when we had an idea of how huge China was). Even that was a pretty big underestimate. The film refuses to die in some territories.

That said, as China continues to mature, $1.5B is going to become the new $1B. I wouldn't be too surprised to see Furious 7 out of the worldwide top 10 by 2020.

The Dark Knight was #4 of all time back in 2008 and now it's #21. A couple of those 21 films were 3D re-release cheats (Jurassic Park and Star Wars Ep 1), but that's till 15 films with higher grosses in just 7 years.

pestul

No.. no one did. I think Star Wars has to be really f'ing good to beat it too. It's pretty much up to how China perceives it. It feels so weird to say that, but China is really difficult to predict for BO.

kswiston

No.. no one did. I think Star Wars has to be really f'ing good to beat it too. It's pretty much up to how China perceives it. It feels so weird to say that, but China is really difficult to predict for BO.

Disney is showing the entire Star Wars series at the Shanghai International Film Festival this year. I think they are going to push the movie hard in China.

I don't think anyone could have predicted Furious 7 would be the top grossing non-James Cameron film of all time.

Actually, didn't Vin Diesel predict it was going to be the biggest film ever? :p

He was probably the closest.

Cheebo

Banned
Disney is showing the entire Star Wars series at the Shanghai International Film Festival this year. I think they are going to push the movie hard in China.

Disney got the Chinese state ran movie channel to run all 6 films in a row on the Chinese New Year as well this year too.

Not to mention the chinese version of the trailer had a introduction message from JJ Abrams speaking Chinese, they are going all out.

pestul

Actually, didn't Vin Diesel predict it was going to be the biggest film ever? :p

He was probably the closest.
Possibly, I know he said it would win the best picture of the year Oscar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom