• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd Box Office 05•22-24•15 - Disney's house is clean, Tomorrow lands @ #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
It didn't even matter all that much before the age of media streaming. The first teaser trailer for Episode 1 was attached to Meet Joe Black, while the first full trailer was attached to Wing Commander back in 1998/1999. Meet Joe Black opened to $15M on its way to $45M, while Wing Commander scored $5M on its way to $11M. Pitt's Seven Years in Tibet opened at $10M ($37M in total) a year before, so I guess if you want to be generous, you could argue that the Star Wars trailer boosted business by $5M.

Exactly, and I think even $5 mil would be really, really generous.

The number of people willing to pay money just to see a commercial is not a large number, and never has been.

Possibly, I know he said it would win the best picture of the year Oscar.
Of course, this means Furious 7 will win Best Picture, Best Director, Best Screenplay and Paul Walker will win Best Actor. And Fast & Furious 8 will win the Golden Lion at Cannes.

Ronda Rousey will win Best Supporting Actress.

inm8num2

Badass! Fury Road doing quite well for itself. It's the best option for action movies, and word of mouth can only be helping it.

kswiston

More like 13-15 million

Yeah, people are making the same mistake they did last week. Weekday numbers for adult skewing films are always relatively higher than those of films that have younger audiences.

Tuesday to Tuesday drop was 39%. If you deflate last Sunday to a normal, non-holiday drop, Mad Max would have earned ~$22M during the weekend. A 35% drop from that this weekend would give it $14.2M. A 40% drop would give it a $13.1M weekend.

$13-14M would be my guess. $15M if it has an amazing hold.

this_guy

Even though I didn't love Mad Max as much as GAF, I hope it does well. Always good to see R-rated action films do well and not have to hold back. (for that PG-13 rating)

inm8num2

Yikes. This one will probably bomb...not that it was expected to make much anyway.

E8TDs8Y.png

Lima

Been a while since a romcom came out. Wonder if San Andreas can beat Aloha. Think Aloha might sneak the win. But I hope that San Andreas can come first for Dwayne Johnson. He is a cool dude.

Aloha will be the better movie, but San Andreas is going to easily outgross it because it's going to draw in the 'I have nothing better to do with my life than watch this expensive piece of shit' crowd.

giphypnq3d.gif

San Andreas yo. Movie was legit in D-Box.

ShutterMunster

Legs seem to be pretty decent so far for Mad Max? Tomorrowland is dropping hard

Starting to worry about that one, I don't know if it has a ton of appeal overseas. I feel like Disney was hoping for it to blow here, but they didn't set it up to succeed.

How did Gaf feel about Tomorrowland?

Also: FUCK YES MAD MAX: FURY ROAD!

My interest in Aloha is BENEATH the ground and this is coming from someone who saw Almost Famous for the 1st time recently (and LOVED it)

Tommorowland overseas gross is trash, too, on top its sub-$100m domestic gross its gon end up with

John Carter making room in the land of Pixar-director helmed Disney flops

inm8num2

IMAX conquered Hollywood. China is next.

Richard Gelfond, the CEO of IMAX, said it has become increasingly clear that boosting its presence in China is key to its long-term growth -- and that it has to do so with partners in China.

"Over time, being a bigger Chinese player will benefit the company," he told CNNMoney. "We realized years ago that IMAX had to be more and more focused on China and less on North America."

IMAX sold a 20% stake in the China unit to two Chinese companies last year. IMAX currently operates 239 movie screens in China and has plans to install another 219 over the next few years.

kswiston

Really early Friday estimates from Variety and other sources.

San Andreas - $16M
Aloha - $4.5M

early numbers are also pointing to a >60% drop for Tomorrowland.

this is a damn shame. as much as i was disinterested in tomorrowland it would have been great to see it do well. fury road is the best blockbuster in at least 10 years for my money and that's just doing...decent.

good summer for original big budget films, bad for the business :(

cue stephen spielberg gif "blockbusters were a mistake, they're nothing but trash" :(

kswiston

This just in, Tron 3 cancelled

also in unrelated news, more live action adaptations of popular Disney animated classics announced!

Not sure how much of that was satire, but I wouldn't be surprised if Tomorrowland's failure played into that Tron 3 announcement.

Well, at least Tomorrowland is doing better than Jupiter Ascending right?!

Lol.

Actually, I don't think it is guaranteed to pass Jupiter Ascending. Domestic will be better, but the film is doing poorly in China, and most other overseas territories.

Not sure how much of that was satire, but I wouldn't be surprised if Tomorrowland's failure played into that Tron 3 announcement.

Some bean counter at Disney took 10 seconds to look at Tommorowland's box office, saw Tron Legacy's budget and box office, saw the proposed budget for Tron 3, and sent Bog Iger a note with the numbers, said "Do the math".

Bi-annual Star Wars and Pirates movies incoming

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom