• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd Box Office 05•22-24•15 - Disney's house is clean, Tomorrow lands @ #1

Status
Not open for further replies.

hamchan

Friday Studio Estimates:

1) San Andreas - $18.2M
2) Pitch Perfect 2 - $4.6M - $137M total
3) Mad Max: Fury Road - $3.9M - $106M
4) Tomorrowland - $3.8M - $53M total
5) Aloha - $3.6M
6) Avengers: Age of Ultron - $2.9M - $419M total

The Rock and his ability to draw crowds.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
Tomorrowland: Let's make a better tomorrow and stop with the doom and gloom = No one cares.
Mad Max/ San Andreas = Kill and Destroy Everything! = Everyone cares.

I just find that amusing.

You're right about San Andreas, but not Mad Max.
It breaks my heart to see Tomorrowland doing bad. The marketing for that film destroyed it. You can't get children in the seats with all that mystery Lindelof crap. Should have been promoting all sorts of devices, (jetpacks etc.) as toys for the film. I was surprised that they didn't show anything of the first 20 minutes of that movie, the stuff that is what children would love.

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
You're right about San Andreas, but not Mad Max.
It breaks my heart to see Tomorrowland doing bad. The marketing for that film destroyed it. You can't get children in the seats with all that mystery Lindelof crap. Should have been promoting all sorts of devices, (jetpacks etc.) as toys for the film. I was surprised that they didn't show anything of the first 20 minutes of that movie, the stuff that is what children would love.

So is Tomorrowland any good? I'm thinking about going today, but Lindelof being attached to project worries me.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
So is Tomorrowland any good? I'm thinking about going today, but Lindelof being attached to project worries me.

Tomorrowland definitely has its problems. But a lot of it is great fun to watch. It isn't bad movie. More like a great movie that turns mediocre during the last parts of the film.

For real though, the thing Tomorrowland was trying to do, Mad Max actually did

"Sure, there are jet packs and robots and rocket ships and rayguns and really cool swimming pools, but in order to experience any of that stuff, you have to be invited—and only the best and the brightest are invited. Those of us who aren't geniuses (or "dreamers," as the movie also refers to them, though that word is largely used as a synonym for geniuses) get left behind in crappy old regular reality. All of those advancements and super-cool, super useful technical gizmos in Tomorrowland? People like you and me can't use them. We aren't even supposed to know about them. They're for the better people. (You know that self-satisfied jackass at your bar who says the reason you don't like Ayn Rand is because you don't really understand her? That guy's going to love Tomorrowland.)"

As Tomorrowland's villain (Hugh Laurie) informs the audience, humans can't be bothered to fix things like overpopulation and war and environmental collapse because we're lazy, we fear change, and we like dystopias.

This is the best part of Tomorrowland, actually, when Laurie is ranting about how humans are so dull and passive that we somehow have simultaneous epidemics of obesity and starvation, and how we're more interested in playing apocalyptic video games (see above) than we are in changing our destructive behaviors. Here's the thing: He's saying smart stuff! These are good things to think about! But Tomorrowland doesn't actually address these issues—it just brings them up, and then two minutes later it "solves" them by basically saying, "Think positive! And hope that you're smart and cool and pretty enough to be invited to Tomorrowland, where everything is better."​

Yeah, I honestly didn't get why Hugh Laurie's character was made a villain. I still liked the movie, even if it was a bit of a mess.

btw another movie from this year that seems bleak and misanthropic but is actually quite humanistic is A Pigeon Sat On A Branch Reflecting On Existence. My favourite movie of 2015 so far.

kswiston

Early Saturday numbers are pointing to an increase for San Andreas over Friday. It should break $50M if that holds. Maybe $52-53M.

^
So unless The Last Witch Hunter does extremely well for Vin Diesel, Dwayne Johnson's going to be the highest grossing actor of the year again.

Actually, I forgot Samuel L. Jackson was in Kingsman and AoU and he's in Hateful 8 this year. San Andreas will have to do crazy numbers if The Rock wants that title.

Tomorrowland: Let's make a better tomorrow and stop with the doom and gloom = No one cares.
Mad Max/ San Andreas = Kill and Destroy Everything! = Everyone cares.

I just find that amusing.

Tommorowland was a really shitty movie as opposed to Mad Max, which actually as the same message.

kswiston

^
So unless The Last Witch Hunter does extremely well for Vin Diesel, Dwayne Johnson's going to be the highest grossing actor of the year again.

Actually, I forgot Samuel L. Jackson was in Kingsman and AoU and he's in Hateful 8 this year. San Andreas will have to do crazy numbers if The Rock wants that title.

If this year's Mission Impossible does as well as the previous one did, Jeremy Renner might actually be the top grossing actor of the year. Ghost Protocol made close to $700M.

Jackson's Age of Ultron role was too brief to really count.

berzeli

Banned
btw another movie from this year that seems bleak and misanthropic but is actually quite humanistic is A Pigeon Sat On A Branch Reflecting On Existence. My favourite movie of 2015 so far.

lol.

Actually it is probably Roy Andersson's most humanistic film since En Kärlekshistoria (A Swedish Love Story <- I do hate that title) but it still has a very bleak and cynical streak although some of the cynicism of the film targets Sweden and aspects of its culture/history more specifically so I'm not sure on how much of it translates to other countries. I should probably make another post going into more depth in the other film thread but that would have to wait until I rewatch it, might pick up the Roy Andersson blu-ray collection that Artificial Eye is putting out soon in the UK since it doesn't appear to be one for Sweden.

kswiston

San Andreas Stats

A- Cinemascore, 51% female, 70% over 25, 44% 3D share.

So is San Andreas likely to be a Top 10 hit this year?

Domestic? Not a chance. A $53M opening translates to $120M with shitty legs and $175M with good legs for an action film. There are already 6 films over $160M, and probably at least another 10 that will hit that mark (2 Pixar films, Jurassic World, Bond, Hunger Games, Star Wars, Minions, etc)

ogbg

MM not really getting superlative drops or legs. Oh well.

Its legs are pretty good. Both weekends have had 45% drop off so far but taking the whole week into account, 2nd week drop off was only 39%. If it keeps up that rate of drop off it stands to make $163M domestic after 15 weeks.

Slayven

San Andreas Stats

A- Cinemascore, 51% female, 70% over 25, 44% 3D share.

Domestic? Not a chance. A $53M opening translates to $120M with shitty legs and $175M with good legs for an action film. There are already 6 films over $160M, and probably at least another 10 that will hit that mark (2 Pixar films, Jurassic World, Bond, Hunger Games, Star Wars, Minions, etc)

Great for a Rock film

I think MM legs are doing just fine. Its gonna end on the high-end of that $120-150m range its $45 million opening set a course for.

duckroll

What do the domestic and worldwide races between Furious 7 and Avengers 2 look like at the moment? Avengers probably won't win right?

kswiston

What do the domestic and worldwide races between Furious 7 and Avengers 2 look like at the moment? Avengers probably won't win right?

Age of Ultron will probably end around $100M short of Furious 7. Japan has yet to launch, but a $950M overseas total is looking likely for AoU. European and Chinese legs were pretty bad.

kswiston

Weekend Studio Estimates:

1) San Andreas - $53.2M
2) Pitch Perfect 2 - $14.8M - $148M total
3) Tomorrowland - $13.8M - $63M total
4) Mad Max: Fury Road - $13.3M - $116M total
5) Avengers: Age of Ultron - $10.9M - $427M total (#10 of all time domestic now)
6) Aloha - $10.0M
7) Poltergeist - $7.8M - $38M total

Avengers Age of Ultron is now sitting at $1.321B worldwide. It will pass Deadly Hallows 2 next weekend for #5 of all time (worldwide). It will not catch Furious 7 (or Avengers if F7 beats that) for #4.

Tomorrowland is at $133M worldwide.

Weekend Studio Estimates:

1) San Andreas - $53.2M
2) Pitch Perfect 2 - $14.8M - $148M total
3) Tomorrowland - $13.8M - $63M total
4) Mad Max: Fury Road - $13.3M - $116M total
5) Avengers: Age of Ultron - $10.9M - $427M total (#10 of all time domestic now)
6) Aloha - $10.0M
7) Poltergeist - $7.8M - $38M total

Avengers Age of Ultron is now sitting at $1.321B worldwide. It will pass Deadly Hallows 2 next weekend for #5 of all time (worldwide). It will not catch Furious 7 (or Avengers if F7 beats that) for #4.

Tomorrowland is at $133M worldwide.
San Andreas Budget was $110, so it seems that is going to make some money back, wonder if some people get confused expecting a GTA movie adaptation.

I really enjoyed the hopeful sci-fi stuff (including the super technology) and the make-believe secret history with Tesla and others. But... it is a pretty empty story beyond that.

BigDug13

They must have had a lot of faith in the Mad Max brand to give $150 million budget to a rated R movie. Movie was brilliant and I hope it profits. Seems a shame that a 98% rottentomatoes action movie struggles to succeed. How many action movies score 98%?

pestul

Too bad MM:FR lost over 400 screens this weekend. With them, it would have made more than PP2 and Tomorrowland I believe.

They must have had a lot of faith in the Mad Max brand to give $150 million budget to a rated R movie. Movie was brilliant and I hope it profits. Seems a shame that a 98% rottentomatoes action movie struggles to succeed. How many action movies score 98%?

Believe that the budget got inflated due to production issues and delays

Believe that the budget got inflated due to production issues and delays

The film seemed to have been in some sort of production for 15 years with constant delays. I guess they bundled that amount into the final budget.

What ended up on screen wasn't a $150 million movie.

duckroll

I think the original budget for Fury Road was $100 million. That's probably a more accurate marker for the faith the studio had in the project. Still pretty high for a R-rated revival of an ancient franchise which is mostly a cult hit though.

I'd like to think Warner is smart enough to know that a Mad Max sequel would have a smaller budget and a higher ceiling due to Fury Road.

I also wonder if they should just go PG-13. Miller didn't need dat R

And finally, Slayven what the fuck :p

Abounder

Banned
I wonder if Fury Road would have made more or less money if Mel Gibson had signed on. Anyway the numbers are not great but not bad especially without China!

pestul

I'd like to think Warner is smart enough to know that a Mad Max sequel would have a smaller budget and a higher ceiling due to Fury Road.

I also wonder if they should just go PG-13. Miller didn't need dat R

And finally, Slayven what the fuck :p
Normally I'd argue against it, but for what was in FR, that movie could have easily been PG-13 with a few modifications.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom