• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd Box Office 05•29-31•15 - The fault (line) in our box office, adiós Aloha

Status
Not open for further replies.

ogbg

Right.

Man, I just want them to announce the sequel. Hope it makes enough.

I doubt they'll announce anything for a while. George Miller said he doesn't even want to think about doing another right now:

"Being asked that questions feels to me like being a woman who’s just given birth to a really big baby. And then someone asks you, ‘When are you having your next baby?’ We only finished 12 days ago. I’m just not recovered enough to get into it."

I was hoping Aloha would do even worse, having to suffer through that and the Entourage trailers multiple times in the last couple months really steamed my beans.

mreddie

I really want to see Aloha just to see how bad it is. But after seeing Mortdecai and Strange Magic in one week, fuck that shit.

Paul Blart Stays Winning

Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic: $67,682,000 67.2%
+ Foreign: $33,100,000 32.8%
= Worldwide: $100,782,000

berzeli

Banned
At least Aloha inspired someone to make a pretty good joke:
cza5yel.png

c-murph

Meh. Nothing exciting this week.

Although, I still got to go see Mad Max.

Also, is Furious 7 even that good or is it all just death-hype?! You know like that Bat-man movie.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
San Andreas did much more than I expected.

Tomorrowland continues to disappoint. We can thank that one for Tron's recent demise.

Disney is going to play it safe moving forward with their Disney Classics, Pixar, Marvel, Princess line, and Lucasfilm slate.

And the occasional high-risk property will be developed through their Touchstone banner (Dreamworks deal).

Nothing but AAA, good but predictable.

Edit: Also Pirates.

jmood88

why don't people want to see mad max :( ?
Because they don't think it looks interesting? The only reason I saw it was because it was something new and I had been bored all week and I didn't end up liking it all that much. The marketing didn't make me excited at all.

Well I can talk about how diffucult was for me to drag people to see MM:
Friend 1: "Oh, I'm tired of remakes, wish Hollywood could leave the classics alone" (explain him that was a sequel, still not interested enough)
Friend 2: "Oh no, that's look to violent" (explain her about the fun-over the top action scenes, not interested)
Mom: No, those actors look so ugly. (-_-)

farisr

Yeah it's a good hold. If its trajectory continues (-45% w/e to w/e, -39% week to week) it will make $163M domestic in 15 weeks.

Hope it does this or better. Making back more than production budget domestically, the foreign total should be more than enough to make up for the marketing budget even with the reduced cut and it should be considered a success enough to greenlight a sequel.

Word of mouth + home release/netflix viewing etc will result in sequel doing better at the box office.

Lothar

Banned
I'm surprised Aloha even made that much money. I was expecting Blackhat-level bomb.

I took my sister to see a movie on her birthday. She doesn't want an action movie. I don't want a singing movie. That basically leaves Aloha this week.

The good news is when I die and my memory cells stop existing, I will have forgotten seeing Aloha. So now I have something to look forward to.

Aloha is worse than you could have imagined. I thought at the very least you would see pretty Hawaii scenery but it all takes place indoors.

1) A glut of loud explosion-filled *bad* action movies has people wary when trailers seem to advertise loud, explosion-filled action.
2) It's a sequel to a 30 year old film series that previously starred a guy most people recognize as being a misogynist racist anti-semite who beat his wife.
3) It's aesthetics aren't universal. It's beautifully ugly, but some people are just going to see the ugly part.
4) It's Rated R, and it seems to be unapologetically violent.

So basically, there's going to be a lot of people who expect a crappy, wink-nod-nudge-nudge sequel to a movie they might never have watched, filled with a bunch of ugly nastiness that never stops being ugly and nasty.

Not that I agree with any of that, but I gotta imagine any combination of those four factors could have contributed to people wanting to stay away from the film, despite the almost unanimous word of mouth from people who actually did go see it.

Aloha is worse than you could have imagined. I thought at the very least you would see pretty Hawaii scenery but it all takes place indoors.

Cameron Crowe giving the people what they want!

RE: Mad Max, it had an uphill climb. The sequel won't.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
I really do wonder at what point marketing becomes responsible for a film's lack of success. Obviously the success of a film does not depend on its quality. One could argue that marketing has more of an effect on a film's success, especially given the fact that marketing plays a large part of a film's total final expenses.

I could definitely argue that John Carter had no reason to fail at the box office based on the merit of the film itself but rather that the marketing was so godawful, that it was largely responsible for the films final losses.

Raxus

What is up with the paid vacation movies like Aloha coming out once a year. You'd think somebody would sue for fraud.

G-Fex

1) A glut of loud explosion-filled *bad* action movies has people wary when trailers seem to advertise loud, explosion-filled action.
2) It's a sequel to a 30 year old film series that previously starred a guy most people recognize as being a misogynist racist anti-semite who beat his wife.
3) It's aesthetics aren't universal. It's beautifully ugly, but some people are just going to see the ugly part.
4) It's Rated R, and it seems to be unapologetically violent.

So basically, there's going to be a lot of people who expect a crappy, wink-nod-nudge-nudge sequel to a movie they might never have watched, filled with a bunch of ugly nastiness that never stops being ugly and nasty.

Not that I agree with any of that, but I gotta imagine any combination of those four factors could have contributed to people wanting to stay away from the film, despite the almost unanimous word of mouth from people who actually did go see it.

completely true I suppose.

Mad Max deserves way higher, why is it so low?

Hmmm? I say it's actually doing better than I thought it would. Big budget rated R action movie off a 30 year old franchise?

Kswiston would know better than I, but even without China, it looks like it's doing ok. Against all odds!

gosox333

Feels weird thinking that Furious 7 is legit one of the most profitable movies of all time and I haven't seen it yet. I've seen every other top 5 but that.

That kind of makes me want to see it.

I really do wonder at what point marketing becomes responsible for a film's lack of success. Obviously the success of a film does not depend on its quality. One could argue that marketing has more of an effect on a film's success, especially given the fact that marketing plays a large part of a film's total final expenses.

I could definitely argue that John Carter had no reason to fail at the box office based on the merit of the film itself but rather that the marketing was so godawful, that it was largely responsible for the films final losses.

Disney is basically setting itself up for failure by giving these high-risk films ridiculously high-budgets.

DieH@rd

Banned
I think MM would do better if it was released in less crowded time.

Still, I think it will manage to reach 400M, and will create environment in which sequel would make more [probably on same or lesser budget].

kswiston

San Andreas had a $113M weekend worldwide. It opened in the majority of international markets this weekend, but still has a few significant openings in the future including China and South Korea. $300M will be cleared with ease, so this is going to go down as another win for Dwayne Johnson.

pestul

Just repost this from last weeks box office thread.

Mad Max: Fury Road spoiler:

Other than
Immortan Joe losing his face and some distant vague nudity
what was there to keep this from being PG13? Even language wasn't always too severe, and I'm sure they're even allowed a few good ones. Maybe it's a rare case where the R-rating actually helps it with hype build up.

That Tomorrowland bomba ... woaaaah ...

Big budget movies starring Clooney always do very poorly. I wonder why they cast him. Makes no sense.

He's a big star but he doesn't have the kind of draw with the audiences that go see summer tent pole movies. He should doing movies that my mom wants to see. My mom doesn't want to go see Tomorrowland.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom