• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd Box Office 05•29-31•15 - The fault (line) in our box office, adiós Aloha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feels like there's too much buzz on this film to NOT give it a sequel, and it's not like it's a bomb either. It probably won't be out for like 4-5 years and with a tighter budget, but I think it's more likely we see Wasteland than not.

Miller is not particularly young though. I just hope it doesn't take too long.

HarryKS

Everyone in Tomorrowland looks grumpy. The little girl looks grumpy and annoying. Clooney is a strange looking dude. Who wants to see a movie where they make faces?

Happy to see Mad Max holding on at the box office. $280 million worldwide isn't bad, it is creeping up to $300million. I still wish it could do better, but at least it is far from being a Dredd level flop.

Feels like there's too much buzz on this film to NOT give it a sequel, and it's not like it's a bomb either. It probably won't be out for like 4-5 years and with a tighter budget, but I think it's more likely we see Wasteland than not.
It's possible unless we got another Tron:Legacy situation (thinking about it the budgets are quite similar and their final totals could be similar too)

farisr

I've got no interest in it. I wasn't interested in / never saw the older films, either. Just not my thing.

If you like action movies I would suggest to give it a watch (I never watched the old movies either). If not in theater, at the very least when it gets a home release.

I know the setting/character design etc can be off putting to some people, but you get used to it, movie should not be missed if you're an action fan.

Toothless

Tomorrowland's drop makes me so happy; worthy for such a shitty film.

June is going to be interesting, there's a 40M+ OW movie opening every weekend. It should be pretty exciting.

There is no way San Andreas does those numbers with the star being anyone but the Rock.

The People's Champion, indeed.

Now go make a Predator with Arnold returning as Dutch.

Sean

Banned
What is Entourage's tracking?

No idea why this movie was greenlit, almost everyone hated the last several seasons of Entourage and the show was an enormous flop in syndication. I remember Spike TV pulling it from their schedule citing that paid programming was more successful ratings-wise.

kswiston

Tomorrowland's drop makes me so happy; worthy for such a shitty film.

June is going to be interesting, there's a 40M+ OW movie opening every weekend. It should be pretty exciting.

We might get $40M+ openings every week until August. The weekend that Terminator Genisys opens is the most shaky of those.

berzeli

Banned
Hmm, the more I think about it (it being Mad Max since it is GAF's pet obsession du jour) the more I start wondering about the impact of streaming rights on the financial result of a film. Since I haven't a clue as to what Netflix et al. pays for a blockbuster, this is a bit of a mystery.

We all know that physical film sales are declining and I'm not sure how long it will be until streaming takes over as the main source of revenue (as it did recently with music). So is it more useful to pander to the algorithms of Netflix (since Netflix in particular is a very metrics driven company); e.g. watching films with Tom Hardy/Charlize Theron/George Miller/etc than it is buying a blu-ray copy? Maybe not right now, but it will be interesting to see how streaming impacts business of home video.

No idea why this movie was greenlit, almost everyone hated the last several seasons of Entourage and the show was an enormous flop in syndication. I remember Spike TV pulling it from their schedule citing that paid programming was more successful ratings-wise.

It's for the brahs, brah.

Brahs deserve some love after Mad Max shat all over multiplexes with its feministy feminism, brah.

Dabanton

Happy for the Rock. He was on about 50% of his personality in San Andreas but I hope he gets to front more big pictures from here.

Toothless

Mad Max is doing great and anyone who thinks otherwise clearly doesn't understand how box office works for R-rated action films in a crowded marketplace.

Furious 7 and AoU numbers. So much money. I wish Max was making a little bit more though. Does it still have some places to open in?

Toxi

Banned
Just repost this from last weeks box office thread.

Mad Max: Fury Road spoiler:

Other than
Immortan Joe losing his face and some distant vague nudity
what was there to keep this from being PG13? Even language wasn't always too severe, and I'm sure they're even allowed a few good ones. Maybe it's a rare case where the R-rating actually helps it with hype build up.
There's some very grotesque imagery, such as
the stillbirth and the women being milked like cattle.
Honestly, I'm not sure I want a Mad Max sequel all that quickly. Part of the reason this played as well as it did is because of how meticulous the pre-production was, given all that extra time they had. The circumstances behind getting all that time sucked of course, and could have been hugely detrimental, but I dont' think Fury Road ends up being the movie we got if it was made on a regular 1-2 year production schedule.
Agreed. Fury Road is such a fantastic movie and I feel like any sequel made in the near future won't capture that same awesomeness.

Having LTTP to the whole Firelfy thing, I'm surprised to learn that Serenity bombed hard seeing how the series gets alot of love online.

Universal, I believe, decided to roll with the idea that focusing a large part of the marketing on the fact there was a tiny rabid fan-base would get other people curious. What it ended up doing is making people think they had to watch an entire, already canceled TV-show first in order to understand anything going on. So you had this funky looking Space Western that was sold like a sequel to something nobody else had really seen before.

That and they preview screened the fuckin' thing for like 3 months straight. When I finally saw it opening night, there were people there who had seen it FOUR TIMES already.

DarkFlow

Banned
Hmm, the more I think about it (it being Mad Max since it is GAF's pet obsession du jour) the more I start wondering about the impact of streaming rights on the financial result of a film. Since I haven't a clue as to what Netflix et al. pays for a blockbuster, this is a bit of a mystery.

We all know that physical film sales are declining and I'm not sure how long it will be until streaming takes over as the main source of revenue (as it did recently with music). So is it more useful to pander to the algorithms of Netflix (since Netflix in particular is a very metrics driven company); e.g. watching films with Tom Hardy/Charlize Theron/George Miller/etc than it is buying a blu-ray copy? Maybe not right now, but it will be interesting to see how streaming impacts business of home video.

Normally they don't pay for films, they pay for studios. Meaning HBO gets all the movies WB releases first. So Mad Max will be on HBO before it ever sees Netflix. Netflix has a deal with Disney that kicks in next year that gives them first run rights, they took this from STARZ lol.

Considering how loved the Mad Max seems to be amongst the fans of the movie it really should have also pretty strong disc sales. 350 million gross (With US having rather big portion) with strong disc sales and I could definitely see them doing a sequel. Maybe with tad smaller budget.

berzeli

Banned
Normally they don't pay for films, they pay for studios. Meaning HBO gets all the movies WB releases first. So Mad Max will be on HBO before it ever sees Netflix. Netflix has a deal with Disney that kicks in next year that gives them first run rights, they took this from STARZ lol.

I didn't just mean first run rights or America, which admittedly probably wasn't very clear. It was more a reflection on what is to come and how streaming changing the "traditional" revenue streams and if it is possible for a fanbase to influence what streaming services are providing. I.e. what (critical reception, total box office, fan enthusiasm) influences how much Netflix and its ilk is willing to pay for films later in their life.

DarkFlow

Banned
I didn't just mean first run rights or America, which admittedly probably wasn't very clear. It was more a reflection on what is to come and how streaming changing the "traditional" revenue streams and if it is possible for a fanbase to influence what streaming services are providing. I.e. what (critical reception, total box office, fan enthusiasm) influences how much Netflix and its ilk is willing to pay for films later in their life.

After first run, the value of the film likely drops substantially. I also doubt they pay for films on a individual bases. So as long as HBO and other movie channels are around, I don't see Netflix changing much of that "traditional" revenue stream. They still have to do studio deals to get flims just like everyone else.

Ridley327

Closer to Serenity than Sex and the City.

The movie is a straight-up contractual obligation, isn't it? Like, the creator of the show had it written down that there would be a wrap-up film or something along those lines once the series ended.

I hope it was cheap for WB, at least!

kurahador

Universal, I believe, decided to roll with the idea that focusing a large part of the marketing on the fact there was a tiny rabid fan-base would get other people curious. What it ended up doing is making people think they had to watch an entire, already canceled TV-show first in order to understand anything going on. So you had this funky looking Space Western that was sold like a sequel to something nobody else had really seen before.

That and they preview screened the fuckin' thing for like 3 months straight. When I finally saw it opening night, there were people there who had seen it FOUR TIMES already.

Thanks for the insight.

Why is F7 so popular internationally?

News of Paul Walker tragic death made a big impact on social media everywhere.

Toothless

The movie is a straight-up contractual obligation, isn't it? Like, the creator of the show had it written down that there would be a wrap-up film or something along those lines once the series ended.

I hope it was cheap for WB, at least!

I read an article in Time Magazine where it said that the main reason it took so long was that the stars were all negotiating for a percentage of the profit that kept on preventing the movie from being made. All that trouble for a movie that's going to make no profit!

That's only slightly different than Scott Pilgrim and the comiccon stuff isn't it?

Ridley327

I read an article in Time Magazine where it said that the main reason it took so long was that the stars were all negotiating for a percentage of the profit that kept on preventing the movie from being made. All that trouble for a movie that's going to make no profit!

Who actually had a decent career before the show besides Jeremy Piven and Kevin Dillon? I mean, who was asking after the series ended for Adrian Grenier to be in something else?

berzeli

Banned
After first run, the value of the film likely drops substantially. I also doubt they pay for films on a individual bases. So as long as HBO and other movie channels are around, I don't see Netflix changing much of that "traditional" revenue stream. They still have to do studio deals to get flims just like everyone else.

I definitely know that Netflix are bundling films that aren't blockbusters, but I don't know how they treat "major" films.

Yeah I don't believe that there is any big upheaval coming soon, first window deals are probably going to be more important, things like Beasts of No Nation aren't becoming the norm yet. But it is going to be interesting to see what metrics will replace the raw numbers of VHS/Laserdiscs/DVDs/etc sold when it comes to the home video market (especially since Netflix is so secretive about their numbers). And if there is a way to influence those as with the 100% successful Dredd day thing or that social media campaign for Constantine which worked really well.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
zNtDG.gif

Shut down the IWC, it can't get any better than this.

The Crock needs to drop out of movies period
Why don't you take your opinions, shine them up real nice, take that sumbitch sideways, AND SHOVE IT UP YOUR CANDYASS JABRONI???????????

DarkFlow

Banned
It's not a reasonable budget for a new potential franchise, especially when you already screwed up with John Carter not of Mars.

That's chump change to disney. When you have Marvel, Star Wars and Frozen printing money, you can overspend on stupid shit like this. Yeah they lost money but in the grand scheme of things, this is little more than a blip on the financial report.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom