• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd Box Office 06•27-29•14 - Jurassic bots park at the top of the heap

Status
Not open for further replies.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
Transformers tanks the yard trash, and clears the way for GOTG to reign the rest of the summer.
GOTG is going to flop though...

On topic: not surprised, movie was much better than I expected and it' sad to see Godzilla be beaten by Maleificent or however you spell it.

aAS8X.gif
93% Snowpiercer

Man, standards are really high for a movie to be fresh now, huh.

Chinese estimate is inaccurate. Companies that actually track box office in China (ie Chinese organizations) are estimating $98M through Sunday. The American outlets are playing a game of telephone with a number predicted by one of the American sites after getting Friday numbers.

Edge of Tomorrow didn't drop too badly even with Transformers. Given the holiday next week (and light slate of openers), I am going to go ahead and say that $100M is happening.

How To Train Your Dragon is way under the first film's third weekend now, and is likely heading towards a Kung Fu Panda 2 gross range of $160-175M. Probably the biggest disappointment of the summer since everyone was calling for Edge of Tomorrow's weak performance months ahead of release.

Domestic Comparison:

Absolute Comparison:

HTTYD:

Opening Weekend: March 26th - March 28th - $43,732,319
Opening Week: March 26th - April 1st - $63,125,872
Gross-to-Date: $63,125,872

2nd Weekend: April 2nd - April 4th - $29,010,044
2nd Week: April 2nd - April 8th - $45,415,031
Gross-to-Date: $108,540,903

3rd Weekend: April 9th - April 11th - $24,863,535
Gross-to-Date: $133,404,438

HTTYD 2:

Opening Weekend: June 13th - June 15th - $49,451,322
Opening Week: June 13th - June 19th - $69,876,735
Gross-to-Date: $69,876,735

2nd Weekend: June 20th - June 22nd - $24,719,312
2nd Week: June 20th - June 26th - $38,837,797
Gross-to-Date: $108,714,532

3rd Weekend: June 27th - June 29th - $13,100,000 (studio estimate)
Gross-to-Date: $121,815,000 (studio estimate)

Relative Comparison:

HTTYD Weekend declines:
----1st Weekend -> 2nd Weekend: -33.7%
----2nd Weekend -> 3rd Weekend: -14.3%

HTTYD Weekly declines:
----1st Week -> 2nd Week: -28.1%

HTTYD 2 Weekend declines:
----1st Weekend -> 2nd Weekend: -50.0%
----2nd Weekend -> 3rd Weekend: -47.0% (studio estimate)

HTTYD 2 Weekly Declines:
----1st Week -> 2nd Week: -44.4%

kswiston

Transformers 3 vs Transformers 4 overseas opening comparison.

Note that this does not take into consideration number of days in release (some countries open films on Wed or Thurs) or changes in exchange rate.

Australia
TF3 - $13.4M
TF4 - $10M

China
TF3 - $56M
TF4 - $98M

Hong Kong
TF3 - $5.0M
TF4 - $4.8M

Indonesia
TF3 - $2.3M
TF4 - $5.7M

Malaysia
TF3 - $4.9M
TF4 - $6.4M

Philippians
TF3 - $4.9M
TF4 - $5.8M

Russia
TF3 - $16.9M
TF4 - $21.7M

Singapore
TF3 - $3.5M
TF4 - $4.1M

South Korea
TF3 - $21.8M
TF4 - $21.5M

Taiwan
TF3 - $4.5M
TF4 - $8.3M

TOTALS
TF3 - $128.3M
TF4 - $186.3M

JdFoX187

Banned
ROTF did the most numbers as it was coming off the the first which was a huge hit with audiences, so the hype was thru the roof.

That would explain the opening weekend, but not its full run. It had a pretty harsh drop in its second weekend, but nothing absolutely depressingly bad. And then it maintained steady drops from there on out. Age of Extinction will pass the original, and perhaps Dark of the Moon.

That would explain the opening weekend, but not its full run. It had a pretty harsh drop in its second weekend, but nothing absolutely depressingly bad. And then it maintained steady drops from there on out. Age of Extinction will pass the original, and perhaps Dark of the Moon.

Very little chance Age of Extinction touches 300 million at this point. Age of Extinction is more or less locked to be the lowest grossing of the franchise domestically

It's not going to have the legs of the original, and Dark of the Moon's first weekend nearly matched Age of Extinction's opening weekend despite opening on a Wednesday. A realistic best case scenario would be around 275 million

Very little chance Age of Extinction touches 300 million at this point. Age of Extinction is more or less locked to be the lowest grossing of the franchise domestically

It's not going to have the legs of the original, and Dark of the Moon's first weekend nearly matched Age of Extinction's opening weekend despite opening on a Wednesday. A realistic best case scenario would be around 275 million

You act as if that matters?

1 billion is pretty much on lockdown.

JdFoX187

Banned

Where is this coming from? Because of bad reviews and Internet hatred? It's coming up on the Independence Day weekend, which will give its legs a boost. There's nothing coming out that could affect it until Dawn of the Planet of the Apes. And then there's Hercules two weeks after that. It's not going to do Revenge of the Fallen numbers, but to say it's going to drop off a cliff from here on out is crazy.

EDIT: Ah, I forgot the last two opened on Wednesdays. So perhaps you're right. But I still don't think it'll fall short of the original's numbers.

Sanjuro

Domestically? Probably not.

Also, there is nothing coming out for the fourth of July weekend. It'll keep pace better than any other film this summer.

The good news about HTTYD 2 is that its domestic total has already outpaced Mr. Peabody & Sherman, which was considered a failure according to DWA.

Mr. Peabody & Sherman (Production Budget: $145 million)

Lifetime Domestic Gross: $110,937,560
Lifetime International Gross: $157,287,017
Lifetime Worldwide Gross: $268,224,577
---Only contributed $3 million to DWA's film revenues in the quarter
---Left DWA owing money to Fox (the distributor)
---DWA incurred $57 million impairment charge from its overstated value
---DWA suffered $42.2 million net loss for the quarter

HTTYD 2 (Production Budget: $145 million)

Domestic Gross-to-date: $121,815,000 (studio estimate)
International Gross-to-date: $106,100,000 (estimate)
Worldwide Gross-to-date: $227,915,000 (estimate)

Neoxon

GOTG is going to flop though...

On topic: not surprised, movie was much better than I expected and it' sad to see Godzilla be beaten by Maleificent or however you spell it.
You sure about that? There's quite a bit of hype surrounding the movie, & Marvel's marketing for the movie just hit overdrive.

I have a good feeling you're gonna get served grilled crow by the end of this.

Abounder

Banned
This probably won't be the first blockbuster to gross more in China than it does domestic, but that day is approaching soon.

Fun article:

A jilted Chinese man blew $40,000 on cinema tickets to prove to his long-gone ex-girlfriend how rich he'd become.

High-flyer Wang — dumped seven years ago because he couldn't afford to take his lover out — block-booked "Transformers: Age of Extinction" screenings at IMAX theaters across Beijing.

He then went online to give away all the tickets for free — sparking a frenzy for the expensive entrance stubs."I only want to say that you might have been wrong when you made that decision," he wrote on social media site Weibo, in a dig at his former partner, to further prove the point.

The South Ching Morning Post reports that Wang's ex moved from their home city of Nanjing to Beijing after the split.

Wang, meanwhile, worked hard building up his business in Shanghai for seven years — before going to the capital in the hope news of his bizarre stunt would reach the love-of-his-life.

As of Thursday, some 1,590 people have been handed tickets for re-blogging or posting news of the caper.

But the move has infuriated some movie fans, who say they're now unable to get tickets for the Mark Wahlberg film.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/wor...-extinction-film-prove-rich-article-1.1846326

Where is this coming from? Because of bad reviews and Internet hatred? It's coming up on the Independence Day weekend, which will give its legs a boost. There's nothing coming out that could affect it until Dawn of the Planet of the Apes. And then there's Hercules two weeks after that. It's not going to do Revenge of the Fallen numbers, but to say it's going to drop off a cliff from here on out is crazy.

No, nothing to do with reviews and internet hate at all. Just that it's already far behind the pace of the previous two films, and for it to get to say 317 million would require it to far out-perform the other films in the franchise to make it there. It's not like the other movies didn't have Independence Day on their second weekend.

The lack of competition certainly helps, and that's why I expect it'll have better legs than other films released this year, but for a sequel to do more than triple its opening weekend is a tough task for any movie at this day and age.

kswiston

Frozen was #1 in Japan for the 16th straight week, tying Spirited Away for that record.

That's the end of its domination though, as both Edge of Tomorrow and Maleficent will easily top it next weekend. USD total for Frozen is just shy of $240M in Japan.

Cumulatively, the film is at $1.264B worldwide. That puts it a full $200M over Toy Story 3 as the highest grossing animated film of all time.

Them dollar theaters. My buddy has 3 kids and only goes to the discount theaters. He just saw it last night and loved it. Funny how I'm always hearing him want to talk about movies I saw two months ago.

Damn, I miss the cheap theater. I had absolutely no problem waiting a month to see the movie, with popcorn and a drink for $10.

kswiston

If Transformers fails to hit $300M domestic, this will be the first summer without a $300M film since 2001.

I wonder if some studios (at least those not named Disney) are worried about their 2015 tentpoles.

If Transformers fails to hit $300M domestic, this will be the first summer without a $300M film since 2001.

I wonder if some studios (at least those not named Disney) are worried about their 2015 tentpoles.
Would the International markets pick up the difference?

duckroll

Doesn't Disney have Tomorrowland in 2015 as well? I'm sure Avengers will make bank, but there's a pretty big investment on that one too which seems a little risky.

Wait, TF4 China estimate is now been upped to $98 million? Whoa!

With actuals come Monday, China might best a domestic in the upper $90 million range...that's crazy. I can already hear all the other studios salivating all over themselves.

kswiston

Doesn't Disney have Tomorrowland in 2015 as well? I'm sure Avengers will make bank, but there's a pretty big investment on that one too which seems a little risky.

Disney likes pairing ultra successful films with bombs that eat up the profits of said films.

EDIT: Actually I thought that Tomorrowland was another July film. It could do OK in May... will depend on the trailers/marketing.

Would the International markets pick up the difference?

Depends on the movie. I would imagine things like Jurassic World are pretty safe, even if the US box office is <$200M. Others, not as much. Basically, if you have a franchise, you have a safety net in the international market.

Pacific Rim grossed more in China than in US.

Pacific Rim also barely made money. That's why you are waiting 4 years for a sequel instead of having one greenlit in the first weekend the film was out last summer. China saved the film, yes, but that wasn't not exactly a slam dunk money maker.

I keep forgetting about Tomorrowland, even though its by Brad Bird who's 4-for-4 on great movies from where I'm sitting.

Between that, Jurassic World, Jupiter Ascending, and Inside Out, Michael Giacchino is gonna have a big year in 2015.

duckroll

I keep forgetting about Tomorrowland, even though its by Brad Bird who's 4-for-4 on great movies from where I'm sitting.

Between that, Jurassic World, Jupiter Ascending, and Inside Out, Michael Giacchino is gonna have a big year in 2015.

Giacchino is doing Jurassic World? Damn he's really raising his profile these days.

Spinluck

God Maleficent sucked.

RIP Edge of Tomorrow, I enjoyed that film.

I'm so happy for X-Men, best comic book movie of the year for me.

Not seeing Transformers since there are better movies out now that I still want to see. Will probably catch it on home video or TV like the other ones.

My man.

Neoxon

God Maleficent sucked.

RIP Edge of Tomorrow, I enjoyed that film.

I'm so happy for X-Men, best comic book movie of the year for me.

Not seeing Transformers since there are better movies out now that I still want to see. Will probably catch it on home video or TV like the other ones.

My man.
Still thought Winter Soldier was better, but X-Men came very close.

Hopefully GotG can stand shoulder-to-shoulder with those two.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom