• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd Box Office 06•27-29•14 - Jurassic bots park at the top of the heap

Status
Not open for further replies.
You know that most of the Chinese who go to the theaters for movies like TF4 barely even understand English, and the haphazardly translated subtitles don't help much either.

None of those people show up for the story, or the characterization, or anything remotely thought provoking, because they wouldn't understand it anyway. And if there is something completely nonsensical in the plot they just write it off as something lost in the translation. They just show up for the fireworks and the spectacle, all they need to understand is the rudimentary good guy A fighting bad guy B.

With the success of movies like TF4 in China get ready for more brain dead entertainment from Hollywood.

With the success of movies like TF4 in China get ready for more brain dead entertainment from Hollywood.

More? There has been alot of brain dead entertainment long before TF4 and it is not because of China either.

To be fair though nobody should be going to see a movie such as TF for the story.

hirokazu

You know that most of the Chinese who go to the theaters for movies like TF4 barely even understand English, and the haphazardly translated subtitles don't help much either.

None of those people show up for the story, or the characterization, or anything remotely thought provoking, because they wouldn't understand it anyway. And if there is something completely nonsensical in the plot they just write it off as something lost in the translation. They just show up for the fireworks and the spectacle, all they need to understand is the rudimentary good guy A fighting bad guy B.

How about you blame everybody around the world who have the same tastes as China instead of singling China out for making crap films successful?

How about you blame everybody around the world who have the same tastes as China instead of singling China out for making crap films successful?

It's not about blame, it's about understanding what is going on and where the industry is headed. The problem is by no means isolated to China, but China is a good case study of this phenomenon.

As movies are being made more and more for the international market instead of the US market, as movies are increasingly deriving their revenue from markets that don't speak English, things that TF4 gets flack for (such lack of coherent plot, lack of layered characterization, lack of interesting dialogue, lack of thought provoking ideas) are becoming increasing irrelevant to the intended audience of these movies, and therefore the studios are investing less and less into those aspects of the movie in favor of more explosions and spectacles.

The recent rapid rise of China as a market has only accelerated this phenomenon and will likely continue to do so.

duckroll

Suggesting that English speaking audiences somehow care more about coherent plot, layered characterization, interesting dialogue, and thought provoking ideas is a pretty insulting and xenophobic viewpoint. It's an extreme knee-jerk reaction and one which makes no sense at all, especially when we're talking about a film series which exists in the first place because it made a ton of money domestically.

The most successful film in the series domestically is also the one which had the least logical script due to a writer's strike back in the US. A strike that didn't really faze the industry as much as it should have, allowing films to continue production and pre-production without writers for a period of time.

So no, let's not throw the "Chinese audiences who watch English movies don't understand what is going on and the subtitles are awful, so there will be even dumber movies from now on since movies are successful in China" angle. No matter how well reasoned you think it is, it's a stupid generalization and comes off as racist and xenophobic. It is also a poor representation of the truth.

Frozen has topped 200 million in Japan now. Japan is a smaller market than China. Japanese audiences are no better at English comprehension than Chinese. What does that mean? It means Frozen is popular in Japan, just like it is popular in the US. Transformers is popular in China just like it is in the US. That's all.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
All that aside, I find it hard to believe that Transformers, a film that has gone to great lengths to appeal to the Chinese market, would have 'haphazardly translated subtitles'.

kswiston

Transformers went up in China

Local currency weekend total was 616M yuan, which works out to $99.2M for the weekend.

If TF4 actuals drop here, China will beat the domestic opening.

duckroll

Local currency weekend total was 616M yuan, which works out to $99.2M for the weekend.

But it'll still be 4 days vs 3 days right? I think it opened on Thursday in China.

FTF

China is def beating dom ow then when actuals come out today.

numble

I don't think translations are that bad these days now that they are actual revenue streams for Hollywood, compared to fan translations of pirated goods in the past. I've watched shows like Breaking Bad, House of Cards, and The Americans with their official Chinese subtitles, and they seem pretty good--I actually use them to learn new Chinese vocabulary sometimes.

kswiston

But it'll still be 4 days vs 3 days right? I think it opened on Thursday in China.

No, it opened on a Friday. $99.2M is for the 3-day opening. It opened early in South Korea. Maybe you are thinking of that?

Midnight/preview showings are not as big in China. Domestic total is slightly ahead due to that $41M Friday/thurs previews.

duckroll

No, it opened on a Friday. $99.2M is for the 3-day opening. It opened early in South Korea. Maybe you are thinking of that?

Midnight/preview showings are not as big in China. Domestic total is slightly ahead due to that $41M Friday/thurs previews.

Hmmmm. Okay. I wasn't sure. Movies open on Thursday in a lot of Asian countries, including here. I guess China follows the US format.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE

Or maybe there are just a lot of people who like movies that you don't like.

You're going through a lot of mental gymnastics trying to call everybody who watches these movies stupid. Chinese audiences like the movie for the same reason American audiences do - they want to see things get blown the hell up.

Also "they wouldn't understand it anyway" is condescending as fuck.

kswiston

Hmmmm. Okay. I wasn't sure. Movies open on Thursday in a lot of Asian countries, including here. I guess China follows the US format.

China doesn't really have a logical system for movie openings. They have had movies open on every day, including Saturday and Sunday.

Road

^ The actual numbers from Rentrak will be up on BOM in a couple hours at worst.

Edit: Also, this year only, we already had Sony inflating 22JS to $60m and Disney, Maleficent to $70m. So that's at least 3 studios that use the same marketing tactic (odds are all do it).

Well, on a country by country basis, China is the winner, surely (unless Canadian box office is the thousands of dollars?)

Maybe we should compare China + Hong Kong to US + Canada? That's $104m vs. $100m. =P

duckroll

China doesn't really have a logical system for movie openings. They have had movies open on every day, including Saturday and Sunday.

Ah, I see. That's kinda weird, but I guess for a huge emerging market there might not be surprising. Especially considering the restrictions they have on foreign entertainment.

Abounder

Banned

I'm a fan of brain dead entertainment but I agree that worldwide audiences have been saving or cushioning would-be flops when it comes to action blockbusters like Battleship, White House Down, Pacific Rim, etc. However Transformers has worldwide appeal and it's a premier franchise. Plus I'd argue that the action genre, and the movie medium in general, is pretty thin when it comes to characterization for what it's worth.

Also I'd argue films are about the spectacle and always have been:

Le_Voyage_dans_la_lune.jpg

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
A bunch of studios inflate estimates to get better headlines. It's not new and it's not some immoral practice.
It's not like these numbers go onto their financial statements or anything. It's laughable that other execs call them out on the practice too

FTF

A bunch of studios inflate estimates to get better headlines. It's not new and it's not some immoral practice.
It's not like these numbers go onto their financial statements or anything. It's laughable that other execs call them out on the practice too

It's not an estimate anymore, it's an actual...and $100.038m, come on lol

Matt_

It's not an estimate anymore, it's an actual...and $100.038m, come on lol

oic
evidently I need to go back to school and learn to read
Most shady of Paramount then

kswiston

This has happened before with transformers. I believe it was the 5 day for Revenge of the Fallen that was bumped past 200m to tie The Dark Knights record. They might have even claimed a win over tdk in those 5 days. I am on my phone or I would check.

Edit. Before they magically got there, I believe estimates were pointing to $198m.

Tookay

Suggesting that English speaking audiences somehow care more about coherent plot, layered characterization, interesting dialogue, and thought provoking ideas is a pretty insulting and xenophobic viewpoint. It's an extreme knee-jerk reaction and one which makes no sense at all, especially when we're talking about a film series which exists in the first place because it made a ton of money domestically.

The most successful film in the series domestically is also the one which had the least logical script due to a writer's strike back in the US. A strike that didn't really faze the industry as much as it should have, allowing films to continue production and pre-production without writers for a period of time.

So no, let's not throw the "Chinese audiences who watch English movies don't understand what is going on and the subtitles are awful, so there will be even dumber movies from now on since movies are successful in China" angle. No matter how well reasoned you think it is, it's a stupid generalization and comes off as racist and xenophobic. It is also a poor representation of the truth.

Frozen has topped 200 million in Japan now. Japan is a smaller market than China. Japanese audiences are no better at English comprehension than Chinese. What does that mean? It means Frozen is popular in Japan, just like it is popular in the US. Transformers is popular in China just like it is in the US. That's all.

I think the second movie's success in spite of its illogical plot is more indicative of how American audiences had goodwill from the first movie; the fact that the series dropped off domestically with the third movie was a sign of the second movie's erosion of that goodwill.

Your point still stands though.

I still think GOTG is going to not be the success Marvel/Disney are hoping. The reaction to the trailer in the theaters I've been to over the spring and summer was bad. No reaction. Just indifference which wasn't the case in either direction for all other trailers. .

... The fuck do you people mean by this?

Wut places are you going to where people comment loudly about their feelings on every movie trailer? The most I would do is an audible "Meh" on a shit trailer to get a lil rise out of my friends. Never have I remembered a "reaction" to a movie trailer.

Most people have seen these trailers already I assume. Only time I remember hearing anyone say anything in the last movie I saw (Shitformers 4: Age of Shit) was them asking if this TMNshit trailer was the newest one.

I thought Rentrak did there own.

From what I understand, Rentrak provides the raw data from which the studios then use to report their actuals, but these numbers here on the Rentrak website align perfectly with the estimates released yesterday. Rentrak may have their own internal stuff, but they may not be allowed to actually release those figures to the public

kswiston

So the Monday estimate for Transformers in China was $17M, pushing the film past X-Men and Captain America to take the number one spot of the year for a Hollywood film in that territory. That number pretty much guarantees that China is ahead of the domestic box office after 4 days as well.

Seems likely that the film will be well over $200M in China by the end of next weekend. It is also starting to look more plausible that Transformers will make more in China than it will domestically.

jett

D-Member
So the Monday estimate for Transformers in China was $17M, pushing the film past X-Men and Captain America to take the number one spot of the year for a Hollywood film in that territory. That number pretty much guarantees that China is ahead of the domestic box office after 4 days as well.

Seems likely that the film will be well over $200M in China by the end of next weekend. It is also starting to look more plausible that Transformers will make more in China than it will domestically.

What strange times we live in. Pacific Rim 2 will take place in China confirmed.

kswiston

As of Wednesday's estimate (remember the timezone difference), Transformers 4 is past $150M in China. It should pass Dark of the Moon's total in that territory tomorrow or on Friday.

Domestic total as of Tuesday was ~$120M.

Domestic + China alone should be sitting at $300M+ before the weekend, and over $400M as of Sunday.

Total in those two territories should end up in the $550M range (given $275M finishes in both territories, it could be higher), so the rest of the world will have to make $350M going forward ($450M - the $100M last weekend from non-China sources) for the film to clear $1B.

Neoxon

GotG is such a wild card at this point. I could really see it swinging either way, but I'd be pretty shocked to see it bomb entirely. I think the biggest problem is that TMNT releases in its 2nd weekend.
Oddly enough, the TMNT fans are scared that GotG will overshadow it, & and a good number analysts are predicting that GotG will be the only movie in August that will break the Top 10 (some also say that both TMNT & GotG will get in the Top 10). If you ask me, to guarantee victory for GotG, the following must happen.

- GotG gets ridiculously good word-of-mouth
- TMNT ends up sucking big-time
- Pretty damn good box office returns on GotG's part

GotG already has the Marvel brand, the MCU connection, & marketing down.

The Chinese Box Office cometh

“Transformers: Age of Extinction” is a bigger hit in China than it is in the United States, according to numbers released Tuesday by China Movie Media Group, a partner in the production.

So far the film has made $134.5 million in the People’s Republic in its first five days of release compared with $121 million domestically after five days in theaters.
The film brought in $10.5 million Stateside on Monday and $10.4 million on Tuesday, so it’s doubtful it will match those figures after Wednesday’s grosses are tallied.

Moreover, the film has now shattered the record set by a China-Hong Kong production, “The Monkey King,” which grossed $133 million over 11 days, and it has done it in half the time.

China Movie Media Group said “Transformers: Age of Extinction” is on track to surpass “Avatar’s” record $217.7 million haul from the country.

I've been saying this for years, but just fucking wait to see how big Avatar 2 is gonna be in China. Shit is gonna be a monster there.

Dead

well not really...yet
Will Cameron pander to the Chinese audience? I think setting the second half of Transformers in China was a pretty deliberate move.

I think any blockbuster action movie that gets the chance will filming in China.
He doesn't need to pander specifically to them. He will certainly make sure the story he crafts for the sequels is as universally relateable as the first movie though.

I still remember the stories coming out when Avatar was released about how in some screenings in China audiences would come out of the movie crying due to how their homelands were being bulldozed down in proximity to them and the movie reminded them of that. Movie broke records there without having to pander to Chinese milk and hotels.

He doesn't need to pander specifically to them. He will certainly make sure the story he crafts for the sequels is as universally relateable as the first movie though.

I still remember the stories coming out when Avatar was released about how in some screenings in China audiences would come out of the movie crying due to how their homelands were being bulldozed down in proximity to them and the movie reminded them of that. Movie broke records there without having to pander to Chinese milk and hotels.

Though there was THIS from a while ago.

duckroll

I don't think audiences in general like being artificially pandered to. It comes off as patronizing, like we've seen with the China cut of Iron Man 3. I feel that it works in Transformers because it is a natural extension of how Bay makes films. TF4 isn't really any different from TF1-3 in terms of how it handles placement and locations. Bay always "panders" in the sense that whatever he shoots, he makes it look great, like a commercial. He also uses stupid placements all over his movies. In the end, what's important is that the movie is authentic. TF4 might have had a lot of China coproduction elements, but it's still 100% a Michael Bay movie.

What I think is more important to consider though, is that coproduction aspect. Having a Chinese partner in China makes it easier to get wide distribution and timely release for your film in what is essentially a semi-closed market. Getting Chinese companies as part of the production also allows a stronger push in the region in terms of marketing and awareness. These things are important to the success of a big film, regardless of actual content.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom