• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd Box Office 06•27-29•14 - Jurassic bots park at the top of the heap

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Glad both X-Men and Cap found success this summer. Hopefully Edge of Tomorrow holds somewhat.

As for Transformers... *vomits*

I wish.

Typical NYC movie theater IMAX prices:

ohdfCA5.png

Bring your date out to Transformers and boom, $41 spent before popcorn and taxes.

Regular, non IMAX prices aren't that cheap either:

eRinIV6.png

Transformers fans don't have dates.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
This is like the 3rd weekend in a row I've wanted to go see a movie and there has been absolutely nothing worth seeing.

Effect

You sure about that? There's quite a bit of hype surrounding the movie, & Marvel's marketing for the movie just hit overdrive.

I have a good feeling you're gonna get served grilled crow by the end of this.

I still think GOTG is going to not be the success Marvel/Disney are hoping. The reaction to the trailer in the theaters I've been to over the spring and summer was bad. No reaction. Just indifference which wasn't the case in either direction for all other trailers. The new trailer that played with Transformers was no exception. It's like the audience just didn't care. TMNT got some laughs and Hercules had some positive talk after it. There was dead silence for GOTG. Now the film could end up being good I don't think they're previewing it well and the humor they're using or is the film might not be working at all. Could even be working against it. This is just what I've experienced over the last several weeks.

Gartooth

GotG is such a wild card at this point. I could really see it swinging either way, but I'd be pretty shocked to see it bomb entirely. I think the biggest problem is that TMNT releases in its 2nd weekend.

kswiston

GotG is such a wild card at this point. I could really see it swinging either way, but I'd be pretty shocked to see it bomb entirely. I think the biggest problem is that TMNT releases in its 2nd weekend.

I seriously doubt GOTG will be an outright bomb with the marketing push it is getting, and the fact that it is part of the MCU. I could see a more disappointing $300-350M worldwide take (with maybe $140-150M domestic), but not a Transcendence level flop.

Neoxon

I still think GOTG is going to not be the success Marvel/Disney are hoping. The reaction to the trailer in the theaters I've been to over the spring and summer was bad. No reaction. Just indifference which wasn't the case in either direction for all other trailers. The new trailer that played with Transformers was no exception. It's like the audience just didn't care. TMNT got some laughs and Hercules had some positive talk after it. There was dead silence for GOTG. Now the film could end up being good I don't think they're previewing it well and the humor they're using or is the film might not be working at all. Could even be working against it. This is just what I've experienced over the last several weeks.
The theaters I went to had tons of laughs during the trailer, & there's still a ton of hype behind it.

Kusagari

I seriously doubt GOTG will be an outright bomb with the marketing push it is getting, and the fact that it is part of the MCU. I could see a more disappointing $300-350M worldwide take (with maybe $140-150M domestic), but not a Transcendence level flop.

That would be in line with Thor and Cap 1. I think it would be silly to call those numbers a disappointment for what is by far the biggest risk Marvel has taken yet.

I predicted like 95$ for Transformers, phooey that I was off though. No Gofobo tickets for me!

Also, reading this being said with absolute seriousness is HILARIOUS:

Backed by Paramount Pictures, the film cost $210 million after rebates, while trading in the troubled star of the original films Shia LaBeouf for the more press-friendly Mark Wahlberg, a move that seemed to extend the life of the $2.6 billion-grossing series.

ElRenoRaven

Interesting. Saw Transformers just now and I have to say I enjoyed it. A bit long and could have easily probably cut about an hour out but it was better then 2 and even 3 I thought. Interested to see where they go with 5. I did like Mark Wahlberg a shitload more then Shia. In fact I can't say I disliked any of the humans. They were certainly not as goofy as the first 3 movies humans.

kswiston

That would be in line with Thor and Cap 1. I think it would be silly to call those numbers a disappointment for what is by far the biggest risk Marvel has taken yet.

People don't make $150M movies to hit $300M worldwide.

Cap 1 earned $370M, Thor 1 earned $450M. Both were also basically commercials for the Avengers. Given how much the whole line has exploded since then, I think $300M would be viewed as disappointing.

Sanjuro

Interesting. Saw Transformers just now and I have to say I enjoyed it. A bit long and could have easily probably cut about an hour out but it was better then 2 and even 3 I thought. Interested to see where they go with 5. I did like Mark Wahlberg a shitload more then Shia. In fact I can't say I disliked any of the humans. They were certainly not as goofy as the first 3 movies humans.

The boyfriend was kind of awful.

The theaters I went to had tons of laughs during the trailer, & there's still a ton of hype behind it.

Same. I was shocked since most people have no clue what the fuck it is (myself included really). But, we had a preview with Godzilla I believe, and the audience was fucking loving it.

I don't know how well it'll wind up doing, but it's certainly not going to bomb.

I predicted like 95$ for Transformers, phooey that I was off though. No Gofobo tickets for me!

You might be really close once actual numbers come in. They are dying to say this is the first $100 million movie of the summer, we'll see if it really ends up that way tomorrow.

Ridley327

Also, reading this being said with absolute seriousness is HILARIOUS:

Regardless of how much of a shit he was in his youth (and he certainly was), his professional acting career has been relatively spotless in terms of controversy. It doesn't mean those earlier events should be wiped away, but he's definitely not going out of his way to be an asshat like LeBeouf is in the midst of being.

kswiston

Regardless of how much of a shit he was in his youth (and he certainly was), his professional acting career has been relatively spotless in terms of controversy. It doesn't mean those earlier events should be wiped away, but he's definitely not going out of his way to be an asshat like LeBeouf is in the midst of being.

He's also a successful producer, so he understands the business side of films/tv. Shia fancies himself an artist.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~

He did get rather drunk on the Graham Norton show a while back but thats hardly a controversy. Pretty funny actually

edit; certainly nothing like what shia has been spewing out recently

No surprise everyone shit on Transformer and yet everyone still went out to see dat shit.

Nothing but props for the movie. Its the perfect kind of popcorn movie.

You might be really close once actual numbers come in. They are dying to say this is the first $100 million movie of the summer, we'll see if it really ends up that way tomorrow.

Yeah, they're -really- harping on that. I could easily see it though. There's no damn competition.

Eh, Shia's stuff really only started happening -after- he was out of Transformers. The only thing I can think of was that getting drunk in a CVS or whatever. Wahlberg is spotless as hell, but I guess that's because he learned real early. All Shia did before his Hollywood career took off was dance around on a bed, dig up holes, play golf, and act retarded (not in that order)

NotLiquid

I somehow managed to completely avoid marketing for The Winter Soldier and that alone outgrossed The Amazing Spider-Man 2.

Comparatively, avoiding GoTG adverts and TV spots is really, really hard. I can't go to the theaters without a trailer being shown. And all of that is only going to ramp up.

It's not going to bomb, at least not in proportion to the modest budget/reasonable returns that is at this point Marvel's raison d'être.

In regards to GotG, my wife, who has zero interest in comic book movies, saw the trailer in theaters and turned to me and said she'd be interested in seeing it.

The movie could appeal to woman more than the average Comic book movie.

kswiston

Suck on it Captain Shitarica, No longer the top OW anymore and will also not be the #1 of this year.

0 people were expecting it to remain #1 in any of those things. Even if Transformers flopped, there is still a Hunger Games movie this year.

I wonder how Hunger Games will do. Catching Fire didn't have the Twilight's New Moon-like increase overseas that I was expecting. And also, "finale chapter part I" type of movies tend to underperform a little.

kswiston

I wonder how Hunger Games will do. Catching Fire didn't have the Twilight's New Moon-like increase overseas that I was expecting. And also, "finale chapter part I" type of movies tend to underperform a little.

Even if it drops slightly, the last one made $425M domestic and $856M worldwide, so it will have no problem passing Cap.

The fact that Captain America 2 will very likely be in the top 5 domestically this year is better than a lot of people were expecting. I suppose it has a shot at top 5 worldwide for the year, but Transformers, X-Men, Mockingjay, and The Hobbit being for sure >$715M doesn't give it much wiggle room if something breaks out.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Hazarding a super early guess at Mockingjay I'd say a small <20M decrease in domestic but overall an increase worldwide. Will still break 400M unless theres a marked drop in quality

Has there ever been a franchise where three consecutive (probably four including the last one) films have topped 400M? Or even 300

Hazarding a super early guess at Mockingjay I'd say a small <20M decrease in domestic but overall an increase worldwide. Will still break 400M unless theres a marked drop in quality

Has there ever been a franchise where three consecutive (probably four including the last one) films have topped 400M? Or even 300

300? Transformers.

400? Nope.

kswiston

300 yes:

- Transformers
- Lord of the Rings
- Star Wars Prequels
- Iron Man
- Raimi Spider-man
- Pirates 1-3

400 no

EDIT: The only one of those over $400M with ticket inflation are the Lord of the Rings movies. Those soundly beat the Hunger Games if we were going by ticket sales.

Suck on it Captain Shitarica, No longer the top OW anymore and will also not be the #1 of this year.
No one expected it to remain number one. Just like no one is expecting X-Men to stay at number one for long at all.

Cap had a good run and had a great increase over its first installment. And it out grossed Man of Steel anyways.

Even if it drops slightly, the last one made $425M domestic and $856M worldwide, so it will have no problem passing Cap.

The fact that Captain America 2 will very likely be in the top 5 domestically this year is better than a lot of people were expecting. I suppose it has a shot at top 5 worldwide for the year, but Transformers, X-Men, Mockingjay, and The Hobbit being for sure >$715M doesn't give it much wiggle room if something breaks out.
Exactly.

GoTG won't flop lol.

Like, what else comes out in August?
Cabin fever: Patient Zero (Is not going to do much, IMO)
Michael Bay Presents: TMNT (Sadly it looks like it'll make money)
Into the Storm (looks like a generic disaster movie, basically Twister 2)
The Expendables 3 (Sly and his friends are back)
SIn City a Dame to kill for (yup the poster)

jett

D-Member
That estimate is really suspect.

If Transformers fails to hit $300M domestic, this will be the first summer without a $300M film since 2001.

I wonder if some studios (at least those not named Disney) are worried about their 2015 tentpoles.

It's what Hollywood deserves.

Cipherr

Wut? No one expected this movie to even get near what it did. It had an amazing run for a Cap movie. It really shouldn't even be in the conversation with movies like X-Men and Spiderman.

jey_16

Banned
In regards to GotG, my wife, who has zero interest in comic book movies, saw the trailer in theaters and turned to me and said she'd be interested in seeing it.

The movie could appeal to woman more than the average Comic book movie.

Female reaction to the trailers hasn't been that positive from what I have seen, it just seems a bit too out there

Anyway, I don't see GotG bombing...it's got too much marketing behind it and there is basically no competition around that time?

artist

Banned
0 people were expecting it to remain #1 in any of those things. Even if Transformers flopped, there is still a Hunger Games movie this year.
Nothing about expectations.

I'd rather have a garbage film that knows it's garbage at the top of the box-office than a garbage film that doesnt know what it is.

y2dvd

I was part of the problem, giving my money to Michael Bay who didn't deserve it. What a shit movie. Never again, Bay. Never again!

I should've jist rewatched HTTY2 or watch Edge of Tomorrow.

fuzzyset

I saw Transformers in Hong Kong yesterday. Can those that saw it tell if this ridiculous scene of Chinese propaganda was in the US versions?

When they're in Hong Kong, and the Coast Guard people say "we need help, call the mainland!". Then someone in Beijing runs up to the Chinese defense minister, who then says "we will always protect Hong Kong at any cost!". Which is fine, but just hilarious as the Chinese military played no role in the resolution of the movie. The little cgi planes were F22s as well... I think every one in my theater rolled their eyes with me.

I saw Transformers in Hong Kong yesterday. Can those that saw it tell if this ridiculous scene of Chinese propaganda was in the US versions?

When they're in Hong Kong, and the Coast Guard people say "we need help, call the mainland!". Then someone in Beijing runs up to the Chinese defense minister, who then says "we will always protect Hong Kong at any cost!". Which is fine, but just hilarious as the Chinese military played no role in the resolution of the movie. The little cgi planes were F22s as well... I think every one in my theater rolled their eyes with me.

Yes, they were still there.

devilhawk

I don't remember that being in the version I watched. Then again I had zoned out by that time.

Edit: Well, I guess it was.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom