• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd Box Office 06•27-29•14 - Jurassic bots park at the top of the heap

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckroll

that is the entire purpose of the vast majority of Michael Bay's filmography, including the Transformers sequels

It's not artificial for Bay though, that's my point. It's a natural Bay experience, which isn't different because it's "in China" this time.

kswiston

Transformers passed the $400M mark Worldwide yesterday. Chinese gross is now at $166M, coming off a $14M Thursday. $300M is looking really likely over there, which means the domestic take may not catch up.

The UK is the only major market to open for Transformers this weekend, so it will have to wait until next week to take away X-Men's #1 of 2014 title. I expect the film to easily clear $600M by Sunday though. Maybe $650M.

Kart94

Banned
I just got back from Age of Extinction. Honestly, i thought it was far more entertaining than Godzilla, even if it was too long.

It is also the first Transformers film i enjoyed because it eliminated all the complaints that i had *Shia, humans almost being useless the military BS. plus i think the action is somewhat more clear and better than before. Guess, it does wonders when you put in a decent actor like Mark Wahlberg as your lead instead of a flash in the pan like Shia

I could pretty easily argue that Shia is a damn good actor and was a solid anchor for the first and third movies. Definitely more so than Mark in 4, though they basically throw every semblance of logic out the window with his character :p

But yeah, Greatest Game Ever Played and some of his other stuff shows me how ace Shia can be. Also holy shit that money

Scrooged

Totally wronger about Nintendo's business decisions.
I saw Transformers tonight because I'm a sucker for robots kicking ass. The previous movies were pretty damn awful in the script and dialog department. But...this was pretty good overall. 30 minutes too long, but I can say I had fun the entire time. I'm honestly surprised.

Not a high bar to top, but still.

Kart94

Banned
I could pretty easily argue that Shia is a damn good actor and was a solid anchor for the first and third movies. Definitely more so than Mark in 4, though they basically throw every semblance of logic out the window with his character :p

But yeah, Greatest Game Ever Played and some of his other stuff shows me how ace Shia can be. Also holy shit that money

Personally never seen the Greatest Game Ever Played. Anyway i don't know. I really never cared for Shia's character in the transformers movies. He was just an annoying protagonist. Mark Wahlbergs character though, i actually like, in fact i actually found myselfs caring somewhat about the humans in the story for once. It also helps that
The comic relief didn't overstay his welcome and dies nearly 1/3 of the movie.

Suggesting that English speaking audiences somehow care more about coherent plot, layered characterization, interesting dialogue, and thought provoking ideas is a pretty insulting and xenophobic viewpoint. It's an extreme knee-jerk reaction and one which makes no sense at all, especially when we're talking about a film series which exists in the first place because it made a ton of money domestically.

The most successful film in the series domestically is also the one which had the least logical script due to a writer's strike back in the US. A strike that didn't really faze the industry as much as it should have, allowing films to continue production and pre-production without writers for a period of time.

So no, let's not throw the "Chinese audiences who watch English movies don't understand what is going on and the subtitles are awful, so there will be even dumber movies from now on since movies are successful in China" angle. No matter how well reasoned you think it is, it's a stupid generalization and comes off as racist and xenophobic. It is also a poor representation of the truth.

Frozen has topped 200 million in Japan now. Japan is a smaller market than China. Japanese audiences are no better at English comprehension than Chinese. What does that mean? It means Frozen is popular in Japan, just like it is popular in the US. Transformers is popular in China just like it is in the US. That's all.

Very well said.

kswiston

Huge drop for Transformers this Friday, but I am not sure if the Fourth of July being on a Friday is a positive or negative thing for movie grosses. I think it is generally detrimental when on weekends, because people actually go visit family instead of heading to the movies.

Friday studio estimates:

1) Transformers Age of Extinction - $10.6M - $149M total
2) Tammy - $6.4M - $18M total
3) How to Train Your Dragon 2 - $2.8M - $134M total
4) Earth to Echo - $2.6M - $8M total
5) Deliver Us From Evil - $2.5M - $8M total
6) 22 Jump Street - $2.5M - $152M total

Transformers 4 was sitting at ~$180M in China as of Friday for comparison

Ridley327

Yeah, I don't think movies have ever done super great when the 4th is right on Friday. IIRC, Sony moved Spider-Man 2 up a week to avoid it opening on 4th directly.

I can't imagine it's good news for Earth to Echo that it's not even in the top 5.

Ridley327

Earth to Bomb?

Holy shit.

I think the film itself has a really small budget, but the marketing blitz could not have been cheap. In any case, Relativity found out the hard way that no one was interested in a found footage mash-up of Super 8 and *batteries not included.

kswiston

Earth to Echo didn't have an estimate at the time I posted that list, and I forgot about it. It actually placed 4th, but not too far ahead of #5 or 6. Updated my post.

Edge of Tomorrow passes Oblivion's final gross today. It's still looking like it has a decent shot at $100M, but it won't pass that mark by much.

X-Men DOFP crossed the $225M mark, but it doesn't seem like it will quite make it to $235M to become the #1 X-film domestically.

Maleficent is opening to strong numbers in Japan, likely the #1 opening of the year. If it can cross $50M there, it should be able to break $700M, and beat Amazing Spider-Man 2's WW total.

EDIT: Also, early Saturday estimates for Transformers in China suggest that the movie has crossed $200M there on Day 9.

Looks like Maleficent has now passed both Godzilla and Amazing Spiderman 2. I think I hear someone crying...

Tyjdad6.gif

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
Earth to Echo looked bad, not surprised, but yea the 4th is probably the biggest problem, we need to wait till next week for better results.

kswiston

Weekend studio estimates:

1) Transformers Age of Extinction - $36.4M - $175M total
2) Tammy - $21.2M - $33M total
3) How to Train Your Dragon 2 - $8.8M - $140M total
4) Earth to Echo - $8.2M - $14M total

Transformers 4's second weekend falls about $5M short of Cap's, but the summer dailies are more than making up the difference for the time being. Cap's going to come a lot closer to outgrossing every film this summer than most people were expecting though.

Neoxon

Weekend studio estimates:

1) Transformers Age of Extinction - $36.4M - $175M total
2) Tammy - $21.2M - $33M total
3) How to Train Your Dragon 2 - $8.8M - $140M total
4) Earth to Echo - $8.2M - $14M total

Transformers 4's second weekend falls about $5M short of Cap's, but the summer dailies are more than making up the difference for the time being. Cap's going to come a lot closer to outgrossing every film this summer than most people were expecting though.
So basically Transformers is still king, but saw a massive drop. Is this normal, or is bad word of mouth hurting it? I didn't expect another week of $97 million, but still.

Ridley327

So basically Transformers is still king, but saw a massive drop. Is this normal, or is bad word of mouth hurting it? I didn't expect another week of $97 million, but still.

The 4th is a big factor, no doubt. With it falling on a Friday this year, potential viewers were doing more with family activities this weekend than anything else.

We discuss both. Most people aren't really interested in individual foreign territories with the exception of some of the bigger Chinese runs, and maybe stuff like Frozen in Japan though.

Fair enough but I think that when we say box office now we need to think of worldwide box office by default.

kswiston

Fair enough but I think that when we say box office now we need to think of worldwide box office by default.

Ah. Ya, we talk about worldwide box office a lot. Xaosslug also posts the international chart in the OT when it comes out now.

I thought you were asking about something like the Top 10 films of the weekend for Germany. Interest in that would be very limited, partly because the numbers are never going to be that impressive next to US numbers.

Most people do, I think. There's the issue of numbers not really meaning the same thing across all territories though which still points to the importance of the domestic market as a kind of barometer.

kswiston

Most people do, I think. There's the issue of numbers not really meaning the same thing across all territories though which still points to the importance of the domestic market as a kind of barometer.

Foreign gross is still more important for most big movies, even with inequal gross sharing, since it can represent 70-80% of a movie's take these days. However, you are right that a film that does $50M domestic and $150M overseas is not going to be as prosperous as one that does $150M domestic and $50M overseas, everything else being equal.

EDIT:

Updated gross for Transformers is $578M. A lot lower than I expected given that the domestic gross + chinese gross = ~$390M. That means every other territory combined only added ~$90M over the past week.

Ridley327

Foreign gross is still more important for most big movies, even with inequal gross sharing, since it can represent 70-80% of a movie's take these days. However, you are right that a film that does $50M domestic and $150M overseas is not going to be as prosperous as one that does $150M domestic and $50M overseas, everything else being equal.

EDIT:

Updated gross for Transformers is $578M. A lot lower than I expected given that the domestic gross + chinese gross = ~$390M. That means every other territory combined only added ~$90M over the past week.

Interesting, especially since you can't blame the 4th in those territories. Perhaps WOM is more toxic than what's normally comfortable?

Neoxon

The 4th is a big factor, no doubt. With it falling on a Friday this year, potential viewers were doing more with family activities this weekend than anything else.
That makes sense. Granted, I didn't do much this 4th of July, but still.

Looks like Frozen finally dropped from 1st place in Japan this weekend. And it was Maleficent that knocked it out.
So basically Disney films reign in Japan.

How did Winter Soldier do over there, out of curiosity, and what are GotG's odds in Japan?

kswiston

How did Winter Soldier do over there, out of curiosity, and what are GotG's odds in Japan?

If it is a comic book film in Japan, the answer is not very well. They prefer their own manga shonen heroes.

ЯAW;119772197 said:
So, 16 week as nro one, not bad for Frozen. It will probably top Titanic but seems like it has not shot against Spirited Away.

It passed Titanic a long time ago. Total is over $240M.

kswiston

ЯAW;119772461 said:
Titanic stands at $258M in Japan.

Not unless whatever list you are looking at is using today's exchange rate for foreign grosses of 15 years ago. Studios got $201M out of Titanic in Japan.

Even if you are using local currency, Japan box office is peculiar in that it has gone through deflation in recent years due to the deflating economy. Average ticket prices were actually more in 1998.

ЯAW

Banned
Not unless whatever list you are looking at is using today's exchange rate for foreign grosses of 15 years ago. Studios got $201M out of Titanic in Japan.

Even if you are using local currency, Japan box office is peculiar in that it has gone through deflation in recent years due to the deflating economy. Average ticket prices were actually more in 1998.
Oh yeah, just found another source. Doesn't that mean it has made more then Spirited Away as well? Seems like Spirited brought in $230M.

duckroll

ЯAW;119773721 said:
Oh yeah, just found another source. Doesn't that mean it has made more then Spirited Away as well? Seems like Spirited brought in $230M.

Spirited Away is a domestic Japanese film, and hence earned everything in yen, unconverted. It made 30.4 billion yen at the boxoffice.

Maleficent also had one of the highest openings of the year. It is currently sitting at $630M worldwide, and could end up passing $700M.

So what's the appeal with Maleficent?

Same target audience as Frozen?

Are the studios just gonna assume it's because of the star lead and if it was a no-name actress it would've flopped hard. Jolie doesn't come across as a big-hitter with kids, more rom-com or middle-of-the-road audience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom