• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd Box Office Est. 05•11-13 •12 - Depp/Burton bask in shadow of Whedon's Avengers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vanish

No way it does more than $250 domestic! NO WAY MAN! Look at Avengers... oh wait

It's fucking Spider-Man, of course it will do crazy numbers.

Yeah I know that, it just seems to be neglected on NeoGaf since all everyone will talk about is Avengers and TDKR. I wouldnt be surprised if it beat out TDKR in the end, especially because of 3D.

gimmmick

103 was what I was expecting the avengers to open on it's release weekend... not on it's secound weekend lol.

Warner brothers exes must be under a lot of pressure to beat disney this summer.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
103 was what I was expecting the avengers to open on it's release weekend... not on it's secound weekend lol.

Warner brothers exes must be under a lot of pressure to beat disney this summer.

It's not a competition. They don't need to "beat" anything. They want to make a profit.

I'm amazed Chris Nolan could actually convince Warner Bros. not to make TDKR 3D.
It's clear that people fall for it, IMO unless it's Cameron 3D is a stupidity tax.

DMeisterJ

Banned
Wow at Avengers, and double wow at the 2000+posts box office thread.

You guys give Gaming side a run for their money with movie wars.

lol at people who think dark shadow is a bomb. and the budget is this high because they can get away with it.

also burton & depp only have one smash hit, alice.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Wow at Avengers, and double wow at the 2000+posts box office thread.

You guys give Gaming side a run for their money with movie wars.

If NPD gave out numbers the way the movie industry does, it'd be just as entertaining over there.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Blu Ray release. The thing to watch for will be if people can accept the various faults of the movie by then. It's crazy hard to talk about the flaws/problems the movie had without people getting really defensive.

What? There's a ton of people who have mentioned they see flaws in the film and accept that as they still enjoyed it.

Yeah I hope that will do a lot better than what most people are expecting. SM 3 did make $891 million and that was without the 3D tax. I know I will be there day 1.

Yep, as long as it is Spider man it will do a fuckton, It might even cross the billion dollar mark. Another movie that is being neglected here on gaf is MIB3, i am certain it will surprise us much like how Alice surprised everyone.

artist

Banned
  • Broke the 1B mark in 19 days, fastest film to do it if accounted for the staggered release.
  • Obliterated the 2nd weekend record by a whopping 36%. Previous record holder (Avatar) had owned that record by a puny 0.05% meaning topping Avenger's record now is a gargantuan feat.
  • Avengers has 25 all-time records in just over 2 weeks beating Avatar's 10.

2fhu7i.png

1kqu3v.png

ch7kh5vutw.gif

neytiri_cry_eytukanppkdg.jpg

Since it has topped SM3, I have already given Bob his new avatar. Official reveal will be soon. Thanks Sentry :)

3N16MA

Banned
TA 2nd weekend would rank as the 19th biggest OW of all time. It made more in it's 2nd weekend than Iron Man made during it's OW.

So if the estimate holds as the actual, Avengers will need 33% drop or better to get 3rd weekend record.

Probably won't happen but it is definitely possible.

AniHawk

god damn. avengers is gonna have 3-4 opening weekends in a row. then prometheus will be on top.

good fun movie too.

Looking at the list of top 2nd weekends, most of them end up around the 15% of total range, Avatar was only 10% and Alice in Wonderland and Harry Potter were 18%.

Avengers total domestic gross using 10%, 14% and 18%.

10%-1.03 Billion
14%-737 Million
18%-573 Million

Don't see anyway that it ends up being more than 18% looking at the list so that would give Avengers a minimum of $573 million. Also don't see it being any less than 14% so max would be 737.

573<Avengers<737

Edit-That range will change after next week and will get narrower, if Avengers does somehow end up getting the 3rd weekend record then its odds of beating the overall Avatar record jump up dramatically.

Edit2-Looked at the list again and decided to change 15% to 14% as there are 8 movies under 15% in the top 20.

What? There's a ton of people who have mentioned they see flaws in the film and accept that as they still enjoyed it.

Yup, but there are even more like Tabor and Artist who will sling shit at anyone who has a slightly negative opinion. People like them are very vocal and are fucking loons.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
I doubt Avengers will catch up. Oh and Cameron is not just the only director with more than one billion+ movie under his belt, he's also the only one that's done it with original IPs. JC ftw.

...dunno if Titanic is what id call original IP

there are other titanic films.

Solo

$103M?! Good lord. That's $26M more than the old second weekend record.

Nothing can stop The Avengers. The only question now is: how high can it go?

shira

• Broke the 1B mark in 19 days, fastest film to do it if accounted for the staggered release.
  • Obliterated the 2nd weekend record by a whopping 36%. Previous record holder (Avatar) had owned that record by a puny 0.05% meaning topping Avenger's record now is a gargantuan feat.
  • Avengers has 25 all-time records in just over 2 weeks beating Avatar's 10.

2fhu7i.png

1kqu3v.png

ch7kh5vutw.gif

neytiri_cry_eytukanppkdg.jpg

Since it has topped SM3, I have already given Bob his new avatar. Official reveal will be soon. Thanks Sentry :)
*snow storm of the century kinda limited avatars ow

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom