• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd Box Office Est. 05•11-13 •12 - Depp/Burton bask in shadow of Whedon's Avengers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ya know, Avatar is on FX right now, funny enough.

"The legendary floating mountains of Pandora, heard of them?"

This dialog is like a being smacked up the head with a brick.

Tell you what though, I love the way all the technology looks in Avatar. It's like a natural progression of Aliens, even butch Hispanic chick and Sigourney Weaver is there!

Dead

well not really...yet
There's no merit whatsoever to comparing the two, and you know it.

Avatar didn't open above 77 mil, so what exactly is the big deal about Avengers beating Avatars 2nd weekend?

If Avengers had dropped 1% on its 2nd weekend, then it would be worth comparing.

You seem to keep posting and emphasizing how small the difference was between Avatars 2nd weekend was compared to TDKs as well. Again, its the same issue. Two completely different types of box office performances.

Irfan, you so silly.

Avengers beating Avatar?

6PYgM.gif

3v6UD.gif

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Funniest thing is that by his username I gather he's a Star Wars fan.

You gather wrong. I like the character but I'm extremely critical of Bioware and Star Wars in general. I do enjoy the OT though, with some reservations.

Also I was never actually commenting on the technical aspects of Avatar, but I suppose beliefs like thinking Avatar had near unanimous praise around release you'd twist it into a slight against everything Avatar did rather than the script and acting.

artist

Banned
There's no merit whatsoever to comparing the two, and you know it.

Avatar didn't open above 77 mil, so what exactly is the big deal about Avengers beating Avatars 2nd weekend?

If Avengers had dropped 1% on its 2nd weekend, then it would be worth comparing.
Avatar also opened in a different release period, where even shitty films have legs (albeit not as much as Avatar) and small drops.

Record being broken is exactly that - the unfair, apple-to-oranges excuses can stop.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
I like how even though Avatar has so many tremendous records that Avengers wont touch, some people are being so defensive about a few that Avengers broke. Yes a 1% drop is incredible but so is a $100 million second week.

Gotta love some reaching for every record they can get except the one that matters.

These dumb bastards just ain't gettin' the message. Switch to incendiaries.
untitled-2zbkvz.gif

YrHZz.gif

The avengers was an average comedy, maybe a 65 out of 100 (which is pretty good considering how much shit is released) I am just shocked at how much money it is making. Then again I guess it appeals to a large demographic.

If its any good I hope just enough to guarantee a sequel. more aliens by people who know what they're doing.

This. I also hope it does well enough to convince FOX and other studios that an R rating isn't always a death sentence when it's in the interest of re-invigorating one of your properties.

JdFoX187

Banned
So, how much do you guys think Prometheus will make ww?

I'd like it to get to the 400-500Mil... any chance of that happening?

Probably not :(

This. I also hope it does well enough to convince FOX and other studios that an R rating isn't always a death sentence when it's in the interest of re-invigorating one of your properties.

Predators did respectable numbers for its series. Don't know why they're so resilient to R rated movies. Granted, that was a $40 million production budget as opposed to $150 million.

Dead

well not really...yet
So, how much do you guys think Prometheus will make ww?

I'd like it to get to the 400-500Mil... any chance of that happening?
400-500 is possible.

I think 150 mil is a likely domestic gross if successful, 200 mil if its super successful. As far as overseas, Resident Evil Afterlife, another R rated 3D movie grossed ~240 Mil, so 250-300 isnt out of reach realistically.

jett

D-Member
You gather wrong. I like the character but I'm extremely critical of Bioware and Star Wars in general. I do enjoy the OT though, with some reservations.

Also I was never actually commenting on the technical aspects of Avatar, but I suppose beliefs like thinking Avatar had near unanimous praise around release you'd twist it into a slight against everything Avatar did rather than the script and acting.

Just becuz I'm bored I went through a random page near Avatar's release date.

http://neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=18965330#post18965330

I've finally seen it and thought it was a really good film.

Saw it yesterday ant it is pure magic.

I wanted to go again yesterday, but the snow fucked me.

I'm really hoping I can see it again today :D .

movie was amazing

will watch again

/end

I really liked the film

A definite 10/10 from me.

Fucking mindblowing
EDIT: GF loved it too.

Mindblowing, even my GF liked it and she hates Sci-fi with passion.

I finally saw this today and I loved it more than I thought I would.

Then Amir0x shows up and starts a snowball of hate, of course. I'm not imagining shit, the vast majority of gaffers at the time liked it.

R-rated Die Hard?

Considering the shitty director, it's probably not gonna matter.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
400-500 is possible.

I think 150 mil is a likely domestic gross, 200 mil if its super successful. As far as overseas, Resident Evil Afterlife, another R rated 3D movie grossed ~240 Mil

Why are we comparing RE and Alien though?

artist

Banned
Gotta love some reaching for every record they can get except the one that matters.

These dumb bastards just ain't gettin' the message. Switch to incendiaries.
untitled-2zbkvz.gif

YrHZz.gif
Die bitch.

jeremy20renner20hawkem1jyn.jpg

2fhu7i.png

1kqu3v.png

This is the weekly BO, second weekend record downed. I can understand why the Avatar people are salty.

JdFoX187

Banned
Only meant to show the possibility of a 3D R rated genre films performance. Its the only precedent as far as I can think of.

Hell, Alien Resurrection ended up making $115 million internationally 15 years ago. There's no reason Prometheus couldn't handedly do more than that, especially if it's as good as we're hoping. Perhaps $4-500 million isn't out of the ballpark.

Cipherr

We'll know in 7 days if Avengers has a chance to beat Avatar's domestic take or not.

I don't get why it matters if it does. TA has already done much better than anyone really predicted. Avengers even being in the same conversation as the #3 all time, let alone #1 is more than good enough. Theres a big middle between best of all time and the top 10 of all time.

Tobor

Just becuz I'm bored I went through a random page near Avatar's release date

My review was a few pages later.

I have to eat crow. I've been poo-pooing 3D, I just never really thought it would make that much of a difference...

...then I saw the trailer for Piranha 3D!!!!!!!!!

Avatar was exactly what I thought it would be, unfortunately. 10/10 effects, 5/10 story and dialogue. It's just such a shame that all that money and time couldn't be used for a story worth giving a shit about.

Major issues: The Navi are boring, the humans are one dimensional, and the arc is so obvious it's like seeing into the future. The music is bland and unoriginal.

Nitpicks:(Off the top of my head)
Mechs with rifles and knives. Yeah, yeah, the human mechs versus the Navi mechs, I get it, it's stupid. Michelle Rodriquez painting her gunship and face. Cornball. Cockpit glass that can't block arrows. :lol

Anyway, the movie looked great, and I'm glad it's doing well so we can get more movies made with this tech.

Nobody can claim I've changed my tune.

Who quotes Avatar?

Ever?

GIVE ME H.E MISSILES AT THE BASE OF THE WEST COLUMN.

That line has no business being quotable. Yet it completely is in the hands of Stephen Lang.

Anyway, ducky is right. We shouldn't even be talking about Avatar yet.

The question is whether Avengers can sink Titanic. Until then..

2255087_o.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom