• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd Box Office Est. 05•11-13 •12 - Depp/Burton bask in shadow of Whedon's Avengers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Think Like A Man's budget versus the total gross is pretty impressive.

...dunno if Titanic is what id call original IP

there are other titanic films.

So Gangs of New York is not an original IP? There were other films set in New York...

I think it depends on what you mean by the term "intellectual property". Titanic is no doubt an original IP in the sense that it is not a film associated with an established franchise. But in the context of box office discussion, the reason we separate original IP films and established IP films is because of name recognition. With Titanic, you have an incredibly famous disaster. Everyone who went to see that movie knew it was about a large ship that sank. In fact, the popular refrain used to criticize the movie's runtime was "when is the damn ship going to sink?". I think an argument can be made that Titanic, while an original IP in legal terms, had the advantage of name recognition that many franchise films benefit from. Having said all that, Titanic's box office was driven much more by the tragic love story which drove repeat viewings, hence the incredible legs.

All hail Whedon.

:(

Great Avatar.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of Whedon. I've seen all his shows (even the clusterfuck that was Doll House), but I find his dialog terribly grating. When I heard he was signed to the Avengers, I thought it was inept stunt hiring to appeal to the fanboys and I honestly didn't think he was up to the job. But I gotta tip my hat to the man. He managed to pull it off with flying colors.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Yeah Cameron is so past giving a shit, thats why he takes 5 years to make a movie, and develops new technology solely for the purpose of realising a script that can't be made in any other fashion. Oh and also practically rebuilds the fucking Titanic just to film it.

lol.

The only movie on that top 10 list that can claim to be made with as much dedicated professionalism and vision as Camerons movies is LOTR

Avatar's script required 3D? I dont see how, unless the 3D was suppose to trick us into thinking the cardboard characters had a modicum of depth.

artist

Banned
Yup, but there are even more like Tabor and Artist who will sling shit at anyone who has a slightly negative opinion. People like them are very vocal and are fucking loons.
Hey, why don't you check out my review of Avengers before slandering me? And no I haven't attacked anyone with a negative review instead agreed with them if the complaints were the same as mine.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
GAF is full of those guys.

I await the 'LTTP: Avengers isn't that good, guys' threads in a year.

You already have those people. You had those people at Avatar's release too. Stop whining about people not liking a popular movie. Your hipster argument is retarded. They must be pretentious assholes. I couldnt possibly be that they genuinely dislike such and such movie.

jett

D-Member
Avatar's script required 3D? I dont see how, unless the 3D was suppose to trick us into thinking the cardboard characters had a modicum of depth.

you're hilarious, and original.

I'd tell you of the new tech developed for Avatar that has nothing to do with 3D and how not a single movie before it was filmed in the same manner, but what would be the point? Trolls gonna troll.

Lebron

Remember when it was hard for a movie to reach 1 billion?

Cameron gave us the secret only because he unlocked the 2 billion secret.

maZyY.jpg

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
So Gangs of New York is not an original IP? There were other films set in New York...

...its based on a book "Gangs of New York" which is non fiction. So while the movie may differ from whats in the book (and according to some there isnt much difference) "Gangs of New York" Isnt even an original title , let alone an original premise, or original characters. Just like Titanic isnt some original IP its a re telling of something that happened, how is that original? I could understand if it were BASED on something that didnt happen then maybe ok its inspiration, its a movie BASED on a real event with a love story added to it. Thats not original if everything outside the characters used to portray the rigidity of class status in 1912 is ..well what happened. Maybe if the ship from the abyss came from underneath the Titanic ans saved everybody at the end.

Tobor

Yup, but there are even more like Tabor and Artist who will sling shit at anyone who has a slightly negative opinion. People like them are very vocal and are fucking loons.

I do not sling shit, good shir, nor am I a loon. You on the other hand, seem to have a severe case of "takes things too seriously"-itis. Might want to get that looked that.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
you're hilarious, and original.

I'd tell you of the new tech developed for Avatar that has nothing to do with 3D and how not a single movie before it was filmed in the same manner, but what would be the point? Trolls gonna troll.

wow i never thought anyone would come at the technical aspects of avatar...give it time and all will be trolled i guess.

The posts in this thread aren't going batshit crazy? And what exactly would I be in denial for?

Time to give up the troll act. You're not good at it.

artist

Banned
Whedonmania. His popularity on GAF is reaching new levels.

Nice stealth edit broheim..save your troll card for yourself.

Timbuktu

I'm amazed Chris Nolan could actually convince Warner Bros. not to make TDKR 3D.
It's clear that people fall for it, IMO unless it's Cameron 3D is a stupidity tax.

Maybe they can will the surcharge even if it's 2D. Call it 'big movie tax' or something, because if 3D ever goes away, i'm sure all the other movies will move to the higher rate and people might have gotten used to the blockbusters costing that much and go see it anyway.

When booking for Prometheus though, it was weird for me to noticing how IMAX doesn't cost much more than normal cineplex 3D stuff nowadays.

The posts in this thread aren't going batshit crazy? And what exactly would I be in denial for?

Time to give up the troll act. You're not good at it.

The funny thing is that you and I were going on about how Hobbit would be the WW champ this year over Dark Knight Rises. Never did I consider Avengers as a possible victor in the WW race. Should be interesting.

artist

Banned
I doubt anyone here is a Dollhouse fan, the crow serving is because people never expected Whedon to deliver and when he did, discredit him.

That and it breaking a few Avatar records with a sprinkle of Cameron comparisons are just making a few twist their panties in a rage. :D

The funny thing is that you and I were going on about how Hobbit would be the WW champ this year over Dark Knight Rises. Never did I consider Avengers as a possible victor in the WW race. Should be interesting.

Very true. The Avengers has emerged as a big contender in this fight. I still put my faith in The Hobbit.

jett

D-Member
Maybe they can will the surcharge even if it's 2D. Call it 'big movie tax' or something, because if 3D ever goes away, i'm sure all the other movies will move to the higher rate and people might have gotten used to the blockbusters costing that much and go see it anyway.

When booking for Prometheus though, it was weird for me to noticing how IMAX doesn't cost much more than normal cineplex 3D stuff nowadays.

Movie theaters are slowly but surely increasing prices for regular shows. Since 3D was introduced here 5 years ago the ticket price has not been raised by even a cent. But regular tickets? The different is almost negligible today. :p

Very true. The Avengers has emerged as a big contender in this fight. I still put my faith in The Hobbit.

So if Avengers winds up beating them both, do we both have to make new avatars? I know you and I both were calling Hobbit as the #1 WW. I guess as long as it beats TDKR we win.

So if Avengers winds up beating them both, do we both have to make new avatars? I know you and I both were calling Hobbit as the #1 WW. I guess as long as it beats TDKR we win.

The only avatar bet I have is with Kusuragi concerning whether The Hobbit beats out The Hunger Game's domestic take.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Calling it. Battleship will be lucky to open at $50 million. Hopefully it's a big enough bomb to derail Rihanna's acting career.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom