• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd Box Office Est. 05•11-13 •12 - Depp/Burton bask in shadow of Whedon's Avengers

Status
Not open for further replies.
The second weekend record was absolutely decimated. I think this will probably stand for a long time.

I think TDKR could beat Avengers in the long run, but I think it's a long shot. It has going for it, a lack of much competition, but it lacks the extra draw TDK had due to the tragic and public death of a popular young actor, and billed up his "fantastic final performance".

Can't see TDKR rises beating any of these weekend records though, no 3D alone will stop it, it's only chance is the long game.

I think it has a decent shot at the opening weekend. The Dark Knight is still a hugely popular film, and Nolan's stock has only gone up since. I wouldn't be shocked if it fell short, but I could certainly see it opening slightly larger.

artist

Banned
Maybe they can will the surcharge even if it's 2D. Call it 'big movie tax' or something, because if 3D ever goes away, i'm sure all the other movies will move to the higher rate and people might have gotten used to the blockbusters costing that much and go see it anyway.

When booking for Prometheus though, it was weird for me to noticing how IMAX doesn't cost much more than normal cineplex 3D stuff nowadays.
This is prevalent in Asia, it would get a very negative reaction here, won't happen.

The only avatar bet I have is with Kusuragi concerning whether The Hobbit beats out The Hunger Game's domestic take.

5606876_std.jpg

artist

Banned
Some one did a comparison that even if adjusted for inflation and normalized 3D boost, Avengers still beat out Avatar by 28M or so while Avatar beat out TDK by .5M and with less amount of admissions .. this stat is for you Speedy.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Did someone already post in the last one that Avengers sold 3million more tickets than Dark Knight? I don't even see how you can argue it anymore. It made more money, more people saw it, etc.

What was wrong with Kong again?

The length. Kong is one of the more divisive movies I have seen on here in a while. For me, the first two hours fly by, and the hour on Skull Island is just fucking awesome stuff. It just slows to a crawl once they hit NYC. I still love the film and think it gets a lot of undue hate.

Besides being self-indulgent with an excessively, needlessly long running time? Well there's the terrible CG(outside of Kong), really poor pacing and mostly completely forgettable characters.

Ok, the bolded I will agree with.

Besides being self-indulgent with an excessively, needlessly long running time? Well there's the terrible CG(outside of Kong), really poor pacing and mostly completely forgettable characters.

I'll give you Kong, but I still have a soft spot for The Lovely Bones, despite its flaws.

jett

D-Member
Did someone already post in the last one that Avengers sold 3million more tickets than Dark Knight? I don't even see how you can argue it anymore. It made more money, more people saw it, etc.

Those were opening weekend numbers. Unless Avengers goes far beyond TDK's 530m figure TDK will still come out on top in attendance, domestically of course.

jett

D-Member
I'll give you Kong, but I still have a soft spot for The Lovely Bones, despite its flaws.

Oh well. Personally I haven't enjoyed the last four movies Jackson has made, and it's worrying that he has split in two movies a book that is smaller than any of the LOTR books. I wonder if he has learned anything in the last 7 years.

Oh well. Personally I haven't enjoyed the last four movies Jackson has made, and it's worrying that he has split in two movies a book that is smaller than any of the LOTR books. I wonder if he has learned anything in the last 7 years.

I don't know. I don't understand how you couldn't enjoy RotK. Not enjoy it as much as Fellowship? Sure. I can understand that. It has its flaws too. But on the whole, RotK is still a great movie with some of the trilogy's best scenes.

What I do know is that as soon as Jackson became the director of The Hobbit and stepped back into Middle Earth, he turned into fat Jackson again. The good Jackson.

Dany

Banned
How could anyone even remotely enjoy Lovely Bones? It's a sprawling turd of a film.

That movie sucks terrible ass. The way it handles its 'message' is distasteful to say the least.

"If you're a 14-year-old girl who has been brutally raped and murdered by a serial killer, you have a lot to look forward to"

jett

D-Member
I don't know. I don't understand how you couldn't enjoy RotK. Not enjoy it as much as Fellowship? Sure. I can understand that. It has its flaws too. But on the whole, RotK is still a great movie with some of the trilogy's best scenes.

What I do know is that as soon as Jackson became the director of The Hobbit and stepped back into Middle Earth, he turned into fat Jackson again. The good Jackson.

When it comes to ROTK I feel simply indifferent to everything that transpires. TTT made me lose all interest, it was that disappointing to me. Probably my all-time most disappointing movie ever. Gollum is the only thing worthwhile about it. On the flipside FotR is a masterpiece and one of the best adventure movies ever made. The power of editing.

When it comes to ROTK I feel simply indifferent to everything that transpires. TTT made me lose all interest, it was that disappointing to me. Probably my all-time most disappointing movie ever. Gollum is the only thing worthwhile about it. On the flipside FotR is a masterpiece and one of the best adventure movies ever made. The power of editing.

Fellowship in the last few years has become my personal favourite movie of all time.

JdFoX187

Banned

No way those are domestic numbers and no way are those WW numbers either. Men in Black may be forgotten franchise, but there's still hope for it. Look at Ghost Protocol. Everyone called Tom Cruise and the Mission: Impossible franchise dead and buried. It just takes the right movie.

JdFoX187

Banned
That's way too high, 400-500m tops.

All depends on the quality of the film and whether people respond to Will Smith. He pushed a fairly medicoer, although extremely promising, Hancock to $625 million. He could push a tired Men in Black past $500 million, especially with 3D. And it's not like there will be much competition since Avengers will be winding down and I don't see Snow White and the Huntsman doing much.

All depends on the quality of the film and whether people respond to Will Smith. He pushed a fairly medicoer, although extremely promising, Hancock to $625 million. He could push a tired Men in Black past $500 million, especially with 3D. And it's not like there will be much competition since Avengers will be winding down and I don't see Snow White and the Huntsman doing much.

That could be a mistake.

JdFoX187

Banned
That could be a mistake.

I want it to do well, I just have a bad feeling about it. Mirror, Mirror didn't set the world on fire and it just seems stuck in between Men in Black 3 and the extremely-hyped Prometheus. I'm sure marketing will target Thor and Twilight lovers, but I haven't seen much build for it yet.

Dead

well not really...yet
Avatars 2nd weekend is still more impressive.

1% drop > 50% drop

dat nonsensical irfan post

artist

Banned
Avatars 2nd weekend is still more impressive.

1% drop > 50% drop

dat nonsensical irfan post
Right. Why dont you bring up inflation also and say how a second weekend 100M+ isnt impressive enough.
This is some insane trolling.
Chris Nolan slept with Dead's mom. A few examples;
That's a lot of words to describe how Chris Nolan does action. Garbage film-making would have sufficed.
I can't think of anything that is better. Everything else is either limp dick action with poor directing (anything Nolan), shaky cam hell (bourne), CG vomit AND shaky cam (Bay), overuse of slow-mo (Snyder), anti-climactic and poorly choreographed and shot (almost anything marvel)
Christopher Nolan is to film as Tool is to music.

Self explanatory.
King Kong is better than Nolan's last two movies
Chris Nolan should get his convict brother to write his next movie
Yes, you make more sense than me. ;)
Avengers beating Avatar?
Second weekend record, motha fucking glorious 3D tech YES!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom