• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd Box Office Est. 05•11-13 •12 - Depp/Burton bask in shadow of Whedon's Avengers

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I don't see why you guys are comparing a fun action flick, and one of the greatest psychological thrillers of all time....

I'm really happy for the Think like A Man movie, it's still up there!
3AQmK.gif

I don't get why it matters if it does. TA has already done much better than anyone really predicted. Avengers even being in the same conversation as the #3 all time, let alone #1 is more than good enough. Theres a big middle between best of all time and the top 10 of all time.

I don't think it matters at all but it's clear that there is a good chunk of people in these threads who seem to really care about it, so the entertainment factor of Avengers attempting to overtake it will be high.

artist

Banned
Who quotes Avatar?

Ever?
People who like ultra cheese topped with some more cheese.

We can talk how x movie opening weekend record broken in first week but it breaks the second weekend record of y, then it is out of bounds? :lol The salt is in abundance here.

JdFoX187

Banned
None of his movies make any money. Crank, Mechanic, Crank 2, Transporter trilogy, now Safe. As long as Statham can stay being Statham, he'll be fine.

They make money because they're extremely low budget and don't require big box office returns. He's probably more profitable than many actors in Hollywood.

Tron 2.0

Prometheus is a complete question mark on how it's going to perform. Anything above 400m would be a success.
I'm hopeful, but I'm really wondering what word of mouth is going to be like. It's more than what's being sold and I'm not sure how people are going to react to it.

gdt

I'm super stoked about this movie doing well, it was amazing.

But a 50% drop isn't a 1% drop. That should tell you what you need to know. It'll certainly be #3 though.

jakncoke

Banned
I'm super stoked about this movie doing well, it was amazing.

But a 50% drop isn't a 1% drop. That should tell you what you need to know. It'll certainly be #3 though.

Easier to do a 1% when your OW is in the 70's vs 200. Not discounting Avatar number because its incredible. But there is never going to be a time where a movie does 200 OW and only drops 1% 2nd. It's never ever going to happen.

G-Fex

Who quotes Avatar?

Sculli acts like people everywhere were like all in love with Avatar like they were with Titanic that it was pasted on every damn channel.

I don't recall it doing that.

artist

Banned
Easier to do a 1% when your OW is in the 70's vs 200. Not discounting Avatar number because its incredible. But there is never going to be a time where a movie does 200 OW and only drops 1% 2nd. It's never ever going to happen.
You also need to account the release period of Avatar - where even shitty movies show legs.

Besides, the % is only brought up by the salty people claim a hollow victory, when no one here is even discussing legs. We're talk records being shattered and shattered by a margin of 36 home trees.

gdt

Yes....? A 1% doesn't happen period, ever. The OW weekend doesn't matter. Avatar's 3rd weekend was 9.4%. 4th 26.6.

Avengers has already had a bigger drop. We're talking purely percentages here.

Somnia

Die bitch.

jeremy20renner20hawkem1jyn.jpg

2fhu7i.png

1kqu3v.png

This is the weekly BO, second weekend record downed. I can understand why the Avatar people are salty.

You should take note also that the Avengers is in almost 1000 more theaters, but look how close the per average is. Not gonna get into this whole thing of avengers vs. avatar, but just thought I'd point that out.

gdt

You also need to account the release period of Avatar - where even shitty movies show legs.

Besides, the % is only brought up by the salty people claim a hollow victory, when no one here is even discussing legs. We're talk records being shattered and shattered by a margin of 36 home trees.

Well yeah, its impressive. But its not the big record.

In terms of numbers people talk about, theres the OW and the overall. No one is geeking out over the week 6 record. Its a little odd that now the 2nd weekend record is some huuuuge thing to crow about. The OW is already enough to shout about!

Kusagari

You should take note also that the Avengers is in almost 1000 more theaters, but look how close the per average is. Not gonna get into this whole thing of avengers vs. avatar, but just thought I'd point that out.

Avatar was also being seen almost exclusively in 3D or Imax.

artist

Banned
Well yeah, its impressive. But its not the big record.

In terms of numbers people talk about, theres the OW and the overall. No one is geeking out over the week 6 record. Its a little odd that now the 2nd weekend record is some huuuuge thing to crow about. The OW is already enough to shout about!
You were not here during Avatar's run? smh

Moving goalposts, funny.

Avatar was also being seen almost exclusively in 3D or Imax.
Yes, thats why I posted a stat earlier (for Speedy who likes his numbers without 3D and inflation). In terms of admissions for second weekend Avengers > TDK > Avatar.

avatar 2 will make 3 billion anyway

I'm not entirely sure.

Avatar was notable as a visual spectacle that HAD to be seen, but the actual plot and dialogue are widely considered to be lackluster. With 3D rapidly being more and more passe, what's going to put butts in seats?

It made a ton, but I don't think I've ever run into anyone foaming at the mouth for a sequel the way people were for TDKR, or the later Harry Potter Films.

It was a series of unique circumstances that led to that 1% drop in Avatar numbers. Of course it is unheard of, but there were several things that contributed to it, i.e.: freak snowstorm, not much competition, etc. Anyway you slice it though, that is an impressive transition from Week 1 to Week 2.

Glad to see Avengers doing so well. It was a fun movie for sure and I'm likely to see it again down the line, which wasn't the case for Avatar. That was one-and-done for me.

Also, there are far too many people in this thread who are invested in how well one movie does over another. Don't quite understand that mentality.

Lebron

I'm hopeful, but I'm really wondering what word of mouth is going to be like. It's more than what's being sold and I'm not sure how people are going to react to it.

Big things have small beginnings

Prometheus will do fine, especially since the 3D is THEE sex.

gdt

It was a series of unique circumstances that led to that 1% drop in Avatar numbers. Of course it is unheard of, but there were several things that contributed to it, i.e.: freak snowstorm, not much competition, etc. Anyway you slice it though, that is an impressive transition from Week 1 to Week 2.

Glad to see Avengers doing so well. It was a fun movie for sure and I'm likely to see it again down the line, which wasn't the case for Avatar. That was one-and-done for me.

Also, there are far too many people in this thread who are invested in how well one movie does over another. Don't quite understand that mentality.

Yeah, it was a freak drop. But Avengers has a freaky OW. Take it where you can get it and all.

I don't think anyone is all that invested...this is the box office thread. There's nothing else to talk about besides this stuff.

artist

Banned
Oh I was here. By that time we were waiting for the WW record.

Edit: Or did it have the record already...? Can't recall.
From the second week onwards, people were happy it was doing so well, serving up crow and what not. The same people are not happy now.
Salt

FWIW, I was actually cheering Avatar's BO run at the time.

Big things have small beginnings

Prometheus will do fine, especially since the 3D is THEE sex.

It'll do OK, but I'd be shocked if it breaks 200 million domestic. Whoever was saying "400 million" is crazy, high, or both. (edit, just scrolled up and saw 400 million as the WW...eh...still unlikely for the same reasons)

the reasoning?

-Prometheus is rated R. There are exactly 10 R rated films that grossed over 200 million domestic, and only 1 of those grossed over 300. (The passion of the christ)

-Prometheus is not only hard science fiction (I'd consider "avengers" or "star wars" to be soft science fiction, or science fantasy) but it's being marketed as a horror film. This makes it a VERY hard sell.

-Finally- Prometheus is a prequel to a long running line of films, but there really hasn't been a GOOD alien film since Aliens in 1986. Alien 3, Resurrection, and the two Aliens vs Predator films have arguably damaged the brand.

it'll be a good movie, but it has cult/sleeper hit written all over it.

Snaku

Banned

Yeah, a quarter of the country was buried in a blizzard opening weekend. I remember driving home from opening night and cars were spinning off the road left and right. Scarey shit.

Kusagari

I'm not Avatar's biggest fan, but it was still cool to see a run like that actually happen.

I imagine most of us were too young to appreciate Titanic's.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
I didn't realize just how popular Avengers was until I found out my parents went to go see it. They are a 50 year old chinese couple that almost exclusively watches chinese television beamed by satellite from China and they they went to see Avengers due to people talking about how good it was. The last time this happened was with Avatar. Amazing.

JdFoX187

Banned
It'll do OK, but I'd be shocked if it breaks 200 million domestic. Whoever was saying "400 million" is crazy, high, or both. (edit, just scrolled up and saw 400 million as the WW...eh...still unlikely for the same reasons)

the reasoning?

-Prometheus is rated R. There are exactly 10 R rated films that grossed over 200 million domestic, and only 1 of those grossed over 300. (The passion of the christ)

-Prometheus is not only hard science fiction (I'd consider "avengers" or "star wars" to be soft science fiction, or science fantasy) but it's being marketed as a horror film. This makes it a VERY hard sell.

-Finally- Prometheus is a prequel to a long running line of films, but there really hasn't been a GOOD alien film since Aliens in 1986. Alien 3, Resurrection, and the two Aliens vs Predator films have arguably damaged the brand.

Resurrection did respectable numbers overseas 15 years ago when the international market wasn't that big. Combine that with good word of mouth, 3D tax and not much competition aside from Madagascar and eventually Brave, and Prometheus could do well.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Not that it matters here, and not that anyone will believe me; but I actually won three or four cheap "$10 bets" with AVATAR. I called a $1B WW box office the day before it released. And of course, everyone laughed at me and told me I'd be chalking up soon after that first weekend. But I stuck to my guns. At the time, I seriously felt like the only person that believed it would be a success.... and a huge one at that. Now, I'd have never guessed it's actual final tally; but for the most part, no one would dare expect half of what I was.

*shrug*

/brag

johnsmith

remember me
I didn't realize just how popular Avengers was until I found out my parents went to go see it. They are a 50 year old chinese couple that almost exclusively watches chinese television beamed by satellite from China and they they went to see Avengers due to people talking about how good it was. The last time this happened was with Avatar. Amazing.

And what did they think of it?

artist

Banned

the reasoning?

I have a lot of confidence in Prometheus doing really well, hopefully it pays off. My reasoning why it will do well;
- Rated R has an impact only in domestic, its not as strict an enforcement WW. So while the rating my impact the domestic numbers, overall I dont think it will significantly dent the total.
- Matrix Reloaded was also not a soft sci-fi film albeit it was coming off a very original IP. Audiences can "get" mind bending movies provided the structuring is good. No one expected a mind heist like Inception to gross 800M based on that aspect. :p
- I'm betting huge on Ridley fanboys to flock to the theatres, Ridley going back to sci-fi after decades is an event and there will be people who loved Alien, wanting to see the masters take on it rather than shitty sequels/crossovers.
- 3D. Even though we've got no feelers yet, it will be great. And it will be the 3D event movie of the summer i.e I expect the 3D split to be higher than other summer blockbusters.

Taking all that into consideration, I wouldnt be surprised if it posted similar numbers to Ryan, even though I think that is too optimistic, I really really hope it does well.

kswiston

Not downplaying the fact that Avatar had an unworldly run, but people here are forgetting the fact that both its second and third weekends were holiday weekends. Not only that, but two of the best holiday weekends of the year for box office takes. The only other weekends that compare are memorial day and the fourth of July. The original Alvin and the Chipmunks opened on at the same time of the year as Avatar, and had a 36% drop in its second weekend and a 3% increase in its third weekend. Granted none of them opened to the numbers that Avatar did (and none of them continued to have great holds throughout Jan/Feb), but there are several instances of movies dropping <20% or even increasing on the last two weekends in December.

Avengers had an amazing second weekend. Yes it's hold was nothing close to Avatar's second weekend hold, but it opened over 2.5x higher and didn't have a holiday boost.

This has been a great year at the box office so far. The Hunger Games comes out of nowhere with hype a month or two before release to land the (at the time) third best opening weekend ever. It then defies it demographic and manages to have pretty good legs. Now the Avengers is shattering records, and we still have several potential blockbusters to go.

artist

Banned
Yup swiston, I twice said that Avatar's release period had shitty films performing with legs but it was conveniently ignored. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom