• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd Box Office Est. 05•11-13 •12 - Depp/Burton bask in shadow of Whedon's Avengers

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not Avatar's biggest fan, but it was still cool to see a run like that actually happen.

I imagine most of us were too young to appreciate Titanic's.

I was 18 at the time, but working at a movie theatre.

Shit was hell. When that movie hit, every single showing was sold out a solid week in advance, and we had it in as many theatres as we possibly could.

shit was unheard of.

kswiston

Yup swiston, I twice said that Avatar's release period had shitty films performing with legs but it was conveniently ignored. ;)

Not to mention that percentage drops are hardly recognized outside a select few movies like Avatar. My Big Fat Greek Wedding had much better holds than Avatar, but people barely remember it because it operated on a different scale, and at the end of the day $240M is not outrageously huge (unless you consider the $5M budget).

Iron Man had better weekend holds than the Dark Knight for the first several weeks. The first time TDK had a better weekend drop was week 6 by which time both movies had made over 90% of their totals. However, no one cared about that when TDK outgrossed Iron Man by over $200M.

Also, with the way that the studio:theatre split works, Disney would rather have the Avengers perform the way it is performing than the way Avatar performed. They get a very high percentage take on the first two weekends (over 90% of the total for something like the Avengers), and a gradually smaller take each passing week. By the later weeks in a movie's run, theatres are taking closer to 70% of the proceedings and studios 30%.

Novid

Banned
Well, The Wheldon revenge tour continues.

I already reviewed Dark Shadows on its thread, the trailers wernt the film (as it were) but Burton/Depp/Elfman need to go there seprate ways for a good while. Elfman (i didnt mention this in the review) Score was ok in some parts but he really tried too hard to prove he was better than Gucchiano in the Trek Reboot and it fell flat. Warners need more time and plenty of rewrites - it would have made much bank in October but they felt they needed a one two punch of Burton/Depp - Nolan/Bale to prove that Wheldon is a Fox TV hack and Scott got deballed by CBS's Good Wife work...boy they thought wrongly.

I'm not Avatar's biggest fan, but it was still cool to see a run like that actually happen.

I imagine most of us were too young to appreciate Titanic's.
Nope I was 17, saw it in the theater once in LA on opening weekend and it was insane over there, and also up in Canada about a month later and it was still selling out like crazy

I think Avenger's legs will keep it going for quite a bit.

Also, I'm surprised it took this long for a photoshop from the first page.

SYKtN.gif

Well, The Wheldon revenge tour continues.

I already reviewed Dark Shadows on its thread, the trailers wernt the film (as it were) but Burton/Depp/Elfman need to go there seprate ways for a good while. Elfman (i didnt mention this in the review) Score was ok in some parts but he really tried too hard to prove he was better than Gucchiano in the Trek Reboot and it fell flat. Warners need more time and plenty of rewrites - it would have made much bank in October but they felt they needed a one two punch of Burton/Depp - Nolan/Bale to prove that Wheldon is a Fox TV hack and Scott got deballed by CBS's Good Wife work...boy they thought wrongly.

I've seen Wheddon, Wedon, but never Wheldon.

kswiston

Titanic came out in Grade 10 for me, so I was 15 or so. I remember my friends and I trying to find some girls to go with us, since we wanted to see the movie, but thought it would be a mark against our manhood to go single.

I was a nerd though and had been more excited for the Lost World earlier that year. Waited 4 hours in line for the premiere.

kswiston

So the Avengers should be able to reach or get close to 1.2B by Sunday. That means that Deathly Hallows 2 will fall on Memorial day at the latest. The Dark Knight should fall shortly after that.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
I do all the time, "Have you ever heard the wolf cry to the blue corn moon?" So memorable.

I just want you to know that I saw this post, and I appreciate what you did there.

Avatar was alright, I guess, but that's about it. Nice to look at, but otherwise not super memorable. I don't mind watching it if there's not much else on, but I'd never actively think, "man, I need to see Avatar again, that was awesome!"

kswiston

WW, Dark Knight already fell. Domestic is just a matter of time.

Ya, I meant domestic for TDK

I think the Avengers will be at $450-460 after next weekend. It might get close to $533 by the end of the Memorial Day long weekend. If not, it will pass TDK domestically the week after.

How do you generate the 1.21 gigawatts necessary to power the flux capacitor? Since you've traveled to the future, you must have found a way.

"going" would be a prediction, Tobor. And, since it's written/directed by Shane Black, not an altogether crazy one.

kswiston

I hope Iron Man 3 is great. Iron Man 2 was probably my biggest movie letdown of 2010. It was definitely my least favourite MCU cinema experience, having seen all 6 Marvel films in theatre so far. In fact, I had a worse time in Iron Man 2 than I did in Spider-Man 3. At least it was hilarious to see everyone's WTF reactions to Spider-Man 3 during the multiple song and dance numbers.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
I just want you to know that I saw this post, and I appreciate what you did there.

Avatar was alright, I guess, but that's about it. Nice to look at, but otherwise not super memorable. I don't mind watching it if there's not much else on, but I'd never actively think, "man, I need to see Avatar again, that was awesome!"

What did he...oh. OH.

OOOOH =)

I hope Iron Man 3 is great. Iron Man 2 was probably my biggest movie letdown of 2010. It was definitely my least favourite MCU cinema experience, having seen all 6 Marvel films in theatre so far. In fact, I had a worse time in Iron Man 2 than I did in Spider-Man 3. At least it was hilarious to see everyone's WTF reactions to Spider-Man 3 during the multiple song and dance numbers.

Ya know, when I went to see Spider-Man 3, the LAST thing I thought I was gonna complain about was "too much singing and dancing", but holy SHIT that movie had way too much singing and dancing!

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Ya know, when I went to see Spider-Man 3, the LAST thing I thought I was gonna complain about was "too much singing and dancing", but holy SHIT that movie had way too much singing and dancing!

I hope Deadpool has a movie that is only singing and dancing.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
I dont know .. there wasnt an outcry from Bat-GAF when DH2 broke TDK's records, was there? And here merely the mention of the second weekend record gets some going nuts.

Its comic book movie vs comic book movie and DH2 didnt launch in the same year.

I dont know .. there wasnt an outcry from Bat-GAF when DH2 broke TDK's records, was there? And here merely the mention of the second weekend record gets some going nuts.

But people expected Deathly Hallows 2 to do gangbusters. But to have a non Nolan comic book movie (and from that hack Whedon, of all people) that a lot of people shat on in here before its release to come around and not just beat the record but destroy it? That is what makes it sting.

And Cameron fans know that Avatar is extremely safe at the top of the heap. Of course, we didn't think Titanic would fall either.

The question now is can it hit TDK's domestic.

MIB and BATTLESHIT in the next 2 weeks should erode some of the business.

It's likely #3 All Time next week which is bonkers and #2 All Time by the end of it's WW run.

Records are made to be broken!

kswiston

But people expected Deathly Hallows 2 to do gangbusters. But to have a non Nolan comic book movie (and from that hack Whedon, of all people) that a lot of people shat on in here before its release to come around and not just beat the record but destroy it? That is what makes it sting.

And Cameron fans know that Avatar is extremely safe at the top of the heap. Of course, we didn't think Titanic would fall either.

While I don't see it falling this year or the next, I would say that Avatar's domestic record is less safe than its worldwide record in the near future. We haven't even had a film break 1.5B yet other than Titanic and Avatar, so I don't see anything breaking $2.8B in the next several years. If the Hobbit (Part 1 or Part 2) doesn't make an insane amount overseas, it will be years before anything even breaks Titanic's $1.8B mark from 1997.

The question now is can it hit TDK's domestic.

MIB and BATTLESHIT in the next 2 weeks should erode some of the business.

It's likely #3 All Time next week which is bonkers and #2 All Time by the end of it's WW run.

Records are made to be broken!

That would be an impressive feat. #3 is a lock at this point. But to overtake Titanic would be nuts. Avatar is so far above everything else it isn't even funny.

But as you said, records are made to be broken.

kswiston

That would be an impressive feat. #3 is a lock at this point. But to overtake Titanic would be nuts. Avatar is so far above everything else it isn't even funny.

But as you said, records are made to be broken.

Titanic is at close to 2.2B now after the re-release. Avengers has 0 chance at beating it worldwide.

Avengers has a decent chance at beating its original domestic run, and a small chance at beating its domestic total though. It will largely depend on next week's holds.

Big-E

I dont think it came out at the right time of year to realistically challenge.

Ya, the summer just started though does this mean that Spiderman is fucked? Are people going to be going in droves to see another super hero movie like Spiderman?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom