• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wolfenstein: The Old Blood |OT| Out With The New Order, In With The Old Blood

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
so i wasn't as enamored by TNO as a lot of the rest of you. is this better or worse? or just more of the same?

More of the same for sure. The new weapons are kind of nice, new enemies have a few different strategies to deal with than before, and the setting is pretty neat running around castles and catacombs(at least in the first half). Otherwise it is more TNO, which you may or may not want.

camaropilot

Played a few hours on Uber yesterday and I don't understand the complaints (other than the sound). The game is awesome and more of TNO which is exactly what I wanted. I just got to chapter 4 and I can't stop thinking about the game while at work. Hoping I can play some tonight.

Sal Ami

Banned
The biggest problem with the old silver is you still have to click to pick up the items in the wolf 3d dreams. So I forgot to pick up the silver for a bit. By the second dream I was just bored of it. I haven't touched any of the beds since. It's fine in in the game, but the dream stuff you should be auto vacuuming it up.

So I got to actually play this on my sound system last night (had only played with headphones on launch day) and can confirm that the audio mix IS in fact better than TNO's.

I mean, you still have to turn the volume up way more than usual but weapons have oomph and such now as well as dialog being more discernible ;)

dock

The idea of this game being shorter is actually very appealing to me.
I skipped Infamous Second Son to play First Light, and really appreciated the length of the game. I'm not normally one for these violent first person shooters, but maybe this one?

Sooooo who the fuck on the dev team thought this awful stealth sequence at the beginning was a good idea? lol
edit: oh no, this sounds awful. I hate this type of thing, such as the trashy introduction to Wind Waker. I thought we were past this garbage.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Wow, can't believe people are having issues with this

you don't even need to stealth really once you take down the first ubersoldat.
The lack of health, armor, and mobility still makes it overly reliant on trial and error. You need to time everything well and know the layout so you don't get trashed instantly. It's kind of the antithesis of the design of both of these games and their high amounts of improvisation.

balohna

Very early still. Is this "stealth sequence" the part where you get to the radio at the start? Because I just killed the dudes and then had a fun firefight when reinforcements came.

The lack of health, armor, and mobility still makes it overly reliant on trial and error. You need to time everything well and know the layout so you don't get trashed instantly. It's kind of the antithesis of the design of both of these games and their high amounts of improvisation.

I played it on Bring 'em on (Normal) and had no issues tho :/

Fisty

Nightmare levels scale with your selected difficulty correct? Ive been skipping them on my Uber run, was hoping theyd be a lot easier on my mop-up playthrough

Why are people complaining about the first level? Kill the first dude, take his machine gun, wipe out the others until you get to the elctified door and drop the gun, then rinse and repeat. There's hardly any stealth in the first part at all. I loved going in guns blazing.

Edit: shooting the ubersoldiers just above their head kills them almost instantly too.

Well, I just wanted to buy this game on Steam but it seems Bethesda doesn't want my money. No uncut version for us Austrians? Why do we always have to endure censorship because of the Germans?

Yes, I'm MAD!

Anung

Un Rama
This game is starting to really amp up in act 2 and I love it. Recording footage and taking notes for my review but unless the game takes a major quality nose dive its the best shooter I've played this year. Can an expansion DLC be GOTY 2015? >_>

Fordy

Finally Sony have sorted my preorder and can download - although at a crawl
72 hours remaining on a 100Mbps line.
I'm guessing cause of new PS Plus games. TNO was my GTOY so cannot wait :)

Nick_C

No one has figured out what it does yet, have they?

To follow up on what I posted earlier, I can confirm that silver unlocks a characters in the collection. Just find all of them for whatever nightmare you're in and you should unlock one upon completing the level.

AkuMifune

Banned
Into Chapter 3 and really loving it now. I'm sorry, but the first Chapter does suck. Maybe not in retrospect, but when you're excited to shoot some nazi's again. see what this is, and what they have done new, forced stealth is the worst blueballs. I also think I'm going to miss the strong narrative of TNO, I think even more surprising than stealth in Wolfenstein is the fact they made it a love story, and then it worked really well. I cared about all the NPC's by the end and I miss them here.

In the Nightmare levels (which I adore) is there any reason to pick up the Old Silver?

EDIT: Duh ongoing conversation. Find them all to unlock a collectible. Thanks guys.

I played through the first two chapters last night and have loved every second of it. There's more depth to these spaces - more overlapping walkways and verticality. And I love watching the walls for shadows of the guards on patrol and planning my takedowns, usually before all hell breaks loose and it becomes run and gun heaven.

And I'll say this about the challenge rooms - they're no firefight or horde, but they do fit the bill for me as they're purely about the combat. What little I played seemed exactly like Call of Duty 4's solo scoring missions - combat arenas you've already played through in the campaign, but with bonus points and leaderboards. I asked for this ;p

BNGames

PC Quicklook, I had to turn down Anti Aliasing to 16x instead of 32x because it was killing my framerate to 20fps, otherwise everything else is maxed. It also appears to be locked at 60fps

https://youtu.be/P5P5GOORh_U

PC Specs:
COOLER MASTER HAF X Blue Edition
COOLER MASTER Silent Pro Gold Series RS800-80GAD3-US 800W
COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO
Intel Core i7-3770 Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.9GHz Turbo) - Overclocked to 4.3Ghz
(SLI) EVGA 04G-2983-KR GeForce GTX 980 Superclocked 4GB 256-Bit GDDR5 ACX 2.0 PCI Express 3.0
ASRock Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155 Intel Z77
G.SKILL Sniper Gaming Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900)
Western Digital WD Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" ASUS Black Blu-ray Drive SATA Model BC-12B1ST/BLK/B/AS
(Shadowplay Dump Drive) SAMSUNG 840 EVO MZ-7TE120BW 2.5" 120GB SATA III TLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
(OS Drive) SAMSUNG 850 Pro Series MZ-7KE512BW 2.5" 512GB SATA III 3-D Vertical Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

RedAssedApe

Banned
More of the same for sure. The new weapons are kind of nice, new enemies have a few different strategies to deal with than before, and the setting is pretty neat running around castles and catacombs(at least in the first half). Otherwise it is more TNO, which you may or may not want.

Pretty much more of the same.

Definitely more of the same. Different in some thematic ways and with the addition of a few gameplay elements, but still got the same feel as TNO.

thanks. think i'll wait since i have other things to play. ps+ salesss

Moff

this has probably been discussed before, but they dropped the mechanic to stealh kill comanders for intel, right? and replaced it with the perk that gets you permanent all intel locations?

Very early still. Is this "stealth sequence" the part where you get to the radio at the start? Because I just killed the dudes and then had a fun firefight when reinforcements came.

I don't think so. Warning, read at your own peril, spoilers:
I think that the "stealth sequence" people are talking about is the one with the Super Soldaten

AkuMifune

Banned
this has probably been discussed before, but they dropped the mechanic to stealh kill comanders for intel, right? and replaced it with the perk that gets you permanent all intel locations?

After 20 Stealth Commander kills it says something like it lets "you see all collectible locations", but I'm not sure if that means onscreen or only on the map.

If it's just on the map it'll be useless to me, I aint got time to check a map when nazi's need killin'.

Moff

After 20 Stealth Commander kills it says something like it lets "you see all collectible locations", but I'm not sure if that means onscreen or only on the map.

If it's just on the map it'll be useless to me, I aint got time to check a map when nazi's need killin'.

well it would probably be the same as in the main game, you got the collectible locations on the map after stealth killing a commander in that level.
now you get that ability permanently after getting the perk for stealth killing 20 commanders. it's just a different approach. at least that's what I'm guessing. not sure which I like better, though.

Jb

Man I forgot how satisfying the throwing knives were in this game. Chapter 2 really picks up the pace after a fairly dull 1st chapter; I hope the level design remains interesting throughout.
The
grammar
nazi joke was pretty well done :)

Maybesew

Is anyone playing on uber and stuck early on? I didn't play TNO on uber, so this is kind of new to me, but I must have tried the first mission with the commanders in the prison 25 times last night, and couldn't get past it.

Moff

Is anyone playing on uber and stuck early on? I didn't play TNO on uber, so this is kind of new to me, but I must have tried the first mission with the commanders in the prison 25 times last night, and couldn't get past it.

I just reached chapter 3 on uber and I think it's very easy, with a mouse at least. the headshots come so fast with the silenced pistol in the stealth passages, and in the shootouts it's usually no problem to find a good corner for hiding and sniping enemies.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Holy hell, has anybody beaten the "boss" at the end of Chapter 4 on the highest difficulty? That
thing is tearing me apart with two hits. I have no idea what to do.
Until now the game was relatively easy but I'm completely stuck now.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Holy hell, has anybody beaten the "boss" at the end of Chapter 4 on the highest difficulty? That
Protip: Shoot it until it dies

Dual machine guns and Shockhammers are your friends in that fight.

tesqui

Just beat it, and it was just as great as New Order (Maybe better tbh). Kind of wish
zombies
weren't spoiled by trailers.. That would have been a real cool surprise.

Brandon F

Just rubbed up against this POS bossfight myself
robot dog right?
. Not just a terrible boss fight, but one of the worst in ALL of gaming, at least on Uber diff.

Pure attrition duel, except you are not on equal footing. Nowhere to really hide, hit detection is fucked and it tears you down just being in its radius. I figured out a real dumb cheese tactic after dozens of 'real attempts' where I died faster than each reload. Left me close to wanting to just delete the game and never return to it after completing it though, so unsatisfying and a perfect example how NOT to design a boss. Just fucking ugh.

Even so, my opinion has kind of plummeted overall on the game around Chapter 4. Levels are much more rigid and condensed than TNO, meaning progressing through them is just one long shooting gallery where occasionally the corridor has minor splits. TNO felt like it had big labyrinthian arenas allowing you to pick your fights, but only Ch. 2 really has something close to resembling it. Ch. 3 and 4 is just clown-car monster closet corridor hell(again with terrible bosses). This isn't 90's old school, this is last-gen old school.

Maybe its just an Uber thing...but this game kind of sucks. Maybe the
zombie
half will improve.

AkuMifune

Banned
Maybe its just an Uber thing...but this game kind of sucks. Maybe the
zombie
half will improve.

It's on me for not avoiding this thread while hypocritically trying to stay spoiler free...but I hate you right now.

Last post I was going to read before leaving for the day to go play too.

Brandon F

It's on me for not avoiding this thread while hypocritically trying to stay spoiler free...but I hate you right now.

Last post I was going to read before leaving for the day to go play too.

Sorry. I tagged that part, though you do learn about it kind of early in the game and this thread has been rife with discussing it before me, that I didn't think it was a big deal.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Brandon, I think Uber may be killing your fun somewhat. It's a lot harder than TNO. Chapter 4 was actually one of my favorites and the point where combat really clicked. You may want to drop it down a bit.

I'm playing on Bring 'Em On and it feels harder than TNO's Death Incarnate.

Spoo

Finished just now. Really enjoyed everything it had to offer sans the first chapter, which was beyond terrible.

The second half of the game really amps up the intensity, and it kind of makes me feel like the main game could have been a bit better by adding some of that 'stuff' in.

Overall, absolutely worth the 15 bucks I paid. Made me want to go back and finish the main game again, but I think I'll refrain for a little while until after Witcher 3.

Polygon review is up for the interested.

The Old Blood doesn't quite capture what made The New Order great

Instead, we are left with a totally competent expansion that keeps enough of what worked about the previous game to make for a pleasant if forgettable seven hours. The Old Blood mostly nailed the components that made New Order good, but it doesn't quite manage to capture what made it great.

In terms of story and character The Old Blood has felt very different from TNO because of how much it does even its cinematic stuff in first person. I've seen very little of BJ or his reactions in my time so far so that character has less presence overall.

I'm still in the early going, but that difference already stands out.

Top Bottom