• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wolfenstein: The Old Blood |OT| Out With The New Order, In With The Old Blood

dedhead54

I am up to chapter 4 and I am loving it so far. I had no beef with the first chapter like some had. I love the bolt action rifle, especially after unlocking the scope for it. Shit is boss.

I have had a couple of sections give me trouble, including the boat section (because I kept detaching the turret like someone mentioned a few posts back; bad idea), and I am playing on normal. Can't imagine playing on the hardest difficulty.

Stormus

I really don't get the complaints about the first chapter.

Yes, you have to stealth a little, but it is absolutely not mandatory (for the most part). You simply take down the first patrolling big, grab his machine gun and pillar hug and take out everyone else. I don't know if this strategy is ideal for UBER, but I hardly took damage on BRING'EM ON.

Edit: Oh, and by the way I'm having a blast. About halfway through Chapter 3. Will be playing through again on UBER.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Pick up the massive machine gun and shoot it, it dies in seconds.

Did none of you try fighting it?

If this is part of the prison level .....I just ran. I got hit a few times, parts of the rail, walkway got chomped off but I still ran. I know I left some stuff but ...whatever...

I was coming here to post about this very section. Not sure if you were unmounting the gun or not, but if you were, DO NOT. I kept unmounting it, but if you just mount it in place, meaning leave it as a turret, you have infinite bullets. It is 1000 times easier once you do this. Once I figured that out, did it in the first go.

I guess I just naturally hold down square too long.

So I am up to slightly past that part, just started Chapter 2, and not sure what the beef with the first Chapter 1 was at all. I love the game so far, but I loved The New Order as well.

Yea I figured this out last night. I was trying to use it to hit ppl I missed as I went by, died a few times when I got out in the open....saw the unlimited ammo my next play and said HEYY!! I just let it rip. Shot all over the damn place.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I have had a couple of sections give me trouble, including the boat section (because I kept detaching the turret like someone mentioned a few posts back; bad idea), and I am playing on normal. Can't imagine playing on the hardest difficulty.

Uber hasn't been so bad so far really. Much like the first game you just need to play it like a cover shooter since you are so squishy and full HP/armor doesn't mean much. Crouching and using your lean from corners is a constant. I had way more fun last year doing a second run on normal for trophy cleanup being able to just circle strafe waves of foes with dual weapons. It was easy, but thrilling. One of the few games I prefer on a lower setting. But really, its not that difficult on Uber, just tedious.

Amazing piece of content. The first two chapters are bad but once chapter three starts wow you are in for a great ride. Developers need to take note instead of giving us a season pass just bring back expansion packs like this.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
RE: First chapter. My issue was I was playing on I AM DEATH INCARNATE and found fighting the super soldiers head on too difficult and dull as the play space is small, minimal cover, and lugging around the chain gun isn't very fun. The rest of the chapter is too minimalist in encounters. I don't mind New Order stealth at all, but I felt it did a better job of keeping stealth stretches short and very simple, quite often with more open opportunity to run-and-gun if you really want to go down that path. Chapter 1 of Old Blood, for me, was just too dragged out as a build up to where the New Order/Old Blood formula really shines: open encounters that can be played partially or all stealth, and an arsenal of weapons for when you need them.

It wasn't like New Order where it was a nice change of pace from the norm. I found myself mentally rushing it so I could get to the meat.

Thankfully everything that follows is great.

EDIT: I'll also add that I thought the first couple of chapters looked pretty average too, something was offer, but the presentation and visual identity too picks up and later chapters are gorgeous. Location diversity is really strong actually, just like New Order. Despite being eight chapters and stand alone DLC. you go a lot of places and fight in a lot of different rooms that have strong, diverse visual identity, even within single chapters. Machine Games is very good at doing this.

KingKong

Amazing piece of content. The first two chapters are bad but once chapter three starts wow you are in for a great ride. Developers need to take note instead of giving us a season pass just bring back expansion packs like this.

Sadly these things take 10x as much work and dont sell as well as crappy season passes. Bethesda is commited to this model though, which is great, the Fallout and Dishonored and Rage expansions were great

Sadly these things take 10x as much work and dont sell as well as crappy season passes. Bethesda is commited to this model though, which is great, the Fallout and Dishonored and Rage expansions were great
Yup developers and publishers would rather make money on the dlc 2-4 months after the game has released, then take the time to fund or develop something of quality.

CHC

I wonder how the sales figures are? Surprisingly there is very little discussion / buzz. Hopefully it picks up when reviews hit, I guess many people weren't really looking out for / counting the days to release (aside from us).

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Making boss fights in hitscan weapon games must be a nightmare. They're always pretty shitty, New Order was no different. Either too easy to cheese and thus anticlimactic, or too hard and tedious.

Oneself

As with The New Order, I'm having a blast with The Old Blood (PS4). Also, I like the intro & 1st chapter, I actually think it's much better than TNO's plane part and first level.
Visual design is great as well, too bad it still suffers from bad aliasing and shit textures up close... At least it's a rock solid 60fps like TNO (so far).

EatChildren

Sometimes I think I'm the only fan of the post-plane intro level in New Order. I fucking loved assaulting the castle.

MattyG

Banned
I still think TNO is far and away the better game, but The Old Blood is a great companion to it. After the initial couple chapters and technical difficulties, I really enjoyed it.

Sometimes I think I'm the only fan of the post-plane intro level in New Order. I fucking loved assaulting the castle.
I don't understand why people generally don't seem to like it. I really enjoyed fighting through the trenches and then infiltrating the castle.

Chapter 3 was killer, BJ's voice actor crushes it here as well

Killed your fucking dog, Rudy

I am doing absolutely terrible with these larger encounters though lol. Out of practice with FPS I suppose

I'm a fan of that too. As soon as the turret section is over, Wolfenstein The New Order starts proper and doesn't slump until the overabundance of armored enemies at the end.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Finished part one. Chapter four was great. Overall this game is more of what I loved about TNO but the encounter design isn't as strong. Still a great value for $20 and a great game in it's own right.

I loved it. Great intro.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Wooo, I was gonna get this with a PS4 in June, but fuck it, I'll get something else to play on that on the same day.

KlDYBYf.jpg

I still think TNO is far and away the better game, but The Old Blood is a great companion to it. After the initial couple chapters and technical difficulties, I really enjoyed it.

I don't understand why people generally don't seem to like it. I really enjoyed fighting through the trenches and then infiltrating the castle.

I think it's because it's probably the most underwhelming trigger pull I've ever experienced in my many years of playing FPS. Sure, that particular assault rifle isn't representative of the entire arsenal, but it's an abomination of a weapon in terms of satisfying utility.

Coupled with the very mediocre sound design and visuals, it makes for a really rough first impression.

Then again, I think TNO's gunplay is touted way too much on Gaf. It's very "pea-shooter" at times, especially the shotguns. Satisfying gunplay doesn't live or die on gibs and accurate hit markers alone.

I didn't mind it so much (only had to restart twice), but I will agree that throwing the "3 generators / 4 tank enemies section" right at the beginning wasn't exactly the best idea. Might lead to people, that preferred playing TNO guns-blazing, to quit for good. (Maybe if they made it more clear that those guys weren't invincible. I unloaded a magazine on one later on, and he didn't go down. Was even aiming towards the connection.)

I was more annoyed with the 2nd commander section. It seemed like there was no way to stealth it, and the game was forcing you to see what "alerting the commander" was like, after the easy first one.

You definitely can stealth the 2nd commander section, when you go down the stairs there are two crates blocking a window, to its left is a tunnel that leads to the other side of the room, the commander is up the stairs when you are out of the tunnel.

Machine Games desperately needs to step up their intros. I even like the super solder mechanic in Old Blood, but it went on...and on...and on...

...and on some more...

End of chapter 1 was that classic TNO action. Good stuff; hope the game keeps it up.

aro52

You definitely can stealth the 2nd commander section, when you go down the stairs there are two crates blocking a window, to its left is a tunnel that leads to the other side of the room, the commander is up the stairs when you are out of the tunnel.

Damn! I wasn't as thorough as I thought! Merely peeking out the door sets it off otherwise.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
I think it's because it's probably the most underwhelming trigger pull I've ever experienced in my many years of playing FPS. Sure, that particular assault rifle isn't representative of the entire arsenal, but it's an abomination of a weapon in terms of satisfying utility.

Coupled with the very mediocre sound design and visuals, it makes for a really rough first impression.

Then again, I think TNO's gunplay is touted way too much on Gaf. It's very "pea-shooter" at times, especially the shotguns. Satisfying gunplay doesn't live or die on gibs and accurate hit markers alone.

I honestly didn't think there was anything wrong with the first assault rifle in TNO in terms of look or design, it's very much the sound design that hurts the games more than anything. I was more upset with the double barrel shotgun in TNO and using it again in The Old Blood reminded me of how shit it was.

Even more surprising when the audio design in Syndicate was utterly sublime. I'm going to assume the sound lead for that is still at Starbreeze.

Is anyone else having trouble with the download on PS4? I downloaded the 6.4GB fine, played the prologue, but now it's telling me that the download is going to take ~60 hours to complete. :/

I've tried deleting it and re-downloading but the same thing happened. I even left it downloading on standby over night and it hardly budged.

my only problem is that they should allow us to run with the gatling gun in the Nightmare levels! :D it's a NIGHTMARE to walk down those endless halls looking for keys sooooo sloooooowly.

I did it GAF.
I remember reading a post that said TNO was on clearance at target.
Went today,found it.
Paid 13$ for it.
Its outstanding. I immediately imported a physical copy of old blood.

DocSeuss

Supernatural Nazis > Tech Nazis.

I too wish to know what the purpose of the old silver is. I see lots of it, but it doesn't seem to do anything.

Anyone else find the secret room in the chapter 1 dream world?

Other than the slightly-long swimming sequence, I liked it too. Don't understand people who say they thought it was just another Call of Duty. I remember a LOT of similar comments around the time of its release. They played one level, got mad... like, wtf guys, even this early you can tell it's gonna be something special.

Chapter 6

MachineGames pls (; _ ;)

This expansion re-confirms that BJ Blazkowicz is my favorite character in gaming right now. So many great lines. Funny, heartfelt, badass.

Just beat Old Blood. Overall a great experience and worth the $20. I want more so hopefully this sells well, I need a New Order sequel in my life.

EatChildren

Chapter 6

MachineGames pls (; _ ;)

This expansion re-confirms that BJ Blazkowicz is my favorite character in gaming right now. So many great lines. Funny, heartfelt, badass.

a true man's man ;_;

roytheone

Judging from the trailers, this game seems to have a lot more paranormal stuff in it. Very happy with that, I always liked the paranormal stuff in return to castle Wolfenstein, and I was disappointed that that aspect was almost completely ignored in The new order.

Top Bottom