• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft: Cataclysm |OT| of Who the hell is Deathwing, anyway?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Twig

Banned
Effect said:
Questing is a lot more straight forward and you are pointed to everything it seems so far. Up to level 14 on my Gnome Mage (highest I've gone with the class). However it makes the delivery of the story that much better I think. While many MMOs act like their story is important Blizzard with WoW really does put a significant focus on it. Or has as the years have passed. One of the things that set their RTS apart from other RTS I think as well.

Usually no one talking in general chat in some areas bothered me but I've been so focused on the storyline so far I haven't paid much attention to it. Though I did take some satisfaction from seeing some gnome warrior not being able to complete a quest due to needing help killing an enemy. I would have helped but earlier on he screwed me over when it came to the dueling achievement. We dueled and he won. I asked could we do it again so I could get the achievement as well. Being a bit higher in level then me he naturally won. He'd waited twice until I needed one or two more hits before he started attacking me and in the end winning. He wanted to do it a third time but couldn't be bothered. I ended up killing the enemy he had trouble with in front him as he tried to invite me to a group. :lol Advice to any new players watch how you act towards others. It will be remembered. I usually have no problem adding people to my ignore list as well. When I find out I can't hear someone I check and there is usually a reason why they are their and I rarely remove someone beyond doing so to let them know they are on my ignore before putting them back on.
so you're pissed because a dude didn't want to help you farm meaningless* cheesemints? i'm confused

*EDITED FOR ACCURACY

Effect said:
Questing is a lot more straight forward and you are pointed to everything it seems so far. Up to level 14 on my Gnome Mage (highest I've gone with the class). However it makes the delivery of the story that much better I think. While many MMOs act like their story is important Blizzard with WoW really does put a significant focus on it. Or has as the years have passed. One of the things that set their RTS apart from other RTS I think as well.

Usually no one talking in general chat in some areas bothered me but I've been so focused on the storyline so far I haven't paid much attention to it. Though I did take some satisfaction from seeing some gnome warrior not being able to complete a quest due to needing help killing an enemy. I would have helped but earlier on he screwed me over when it came to the dueling achievement. We dueled and he won. I asked could we do it again so I could get the achievement as well. Being a bit higher in level then me he naturally won. He'd waited twice until I needed one or two more hits before he started attacking me and in the end winning. He wanted to do it a third time but couldn't be bothered. I ended up killing the enemy he had trouble with in front him as he tried to invite me to a group. :lol Advice to any new players watch how you act towards others. It will be remembered. I usually have no problem adding people to my ignore list as well. When I find out I can't hear someone I check and there is usually a reason why they are their and I rarely remove someone beyond doing so to let them know they are on my ignore before putting them back on.

you sound like the dick in this situation.

Effect

Twig said:
so you're pissed because a dude didn't want to help you farm meaningless* cheesemints? i'm confused

*EDITED FOR ACCURACY

No I was annoyed because he was being an ass. After I was nice enough to do him a favor first.

1. He wants to duel to get the achievement. He's a few levels higher then me. I'm a mage he's a warrior.
2. I say okay.
3. I want to do it again so I could get it. Seems fair as you only get it if you win. He says okay.
4. He proceeds to kill me not once but twice while laughing. I don't get what I want even after being nice to help him out first.
5. He needs help later. I could have been nice but recall he was an ass earlier.
6. I don't help him when he needs it.

Don't see where I'm in the wrong there. Sounds like karma hitting him to me.

Proc

decisions, decisions...

decision 1: collectors or standard?...this is the first year I can actually afford the big box.

decision 2: which 80 to get to 85 first...druid, rogue, or dk. I've been tanking and loving it on my DK lately. However, if I level my druid, I'll have a tanker and healer to mess around with at 85.

I absolutely love the rogue changes they've made.

Tuesday shall be a fun night gentlemen. Cannot wait.

Proc said:
decisions, decisions...

decision 1: collectors or standard?...this is the first year I can actually afford the big box.

decision 2: which 80 to get to 85 first...druid, rogue, or dk. I've been tanking and loving it on my DK lately. However, if I level my druid, I'll have a tanker and healer to mess around with at 85.

I absolutely love the rogue changes they've made.

Tuesday shall be a fun night gentlemen. Cannot wait.

if you like stupid worthless shit get the collectors. If not, go regular.

Twig

Banned
funkmastergeneral said:
you sound like the dick in this situation.
Glad I'm not the only one.

EDIT: Though I freely admit that I am an incredibly gratuitous dickbird when I play WoW
/post on GAF

If I could attack fellow Horde members, I would, without hesitation. :3

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
funkmastergeneral said:
if you like stupid worthless shit get the collectors. If not, go regular.

Yeah, i bought the CE of Starcraft 2 because of all the goodies. But the only thing i ever use these days is the extra WOW pet that came with it. Haven't even touched Starcraft Anthology(after Starcraft 2, it feels kind of really outdated) or the developper CD and while the artbook is pretty cool, i dont look at it more than once.

Cataclysm CE seems to have less interesting stuff and the WOW pet is just another whelp.

Effect said:
No I was annoyed because he was being an ass. After I was nice enough to do him a favor first.

1. He wants to duel to get the achievement. He's a few levels higher then me. I'm a mage he's a warrior.
2. I say okay.
3. I want to do it again so I could get it. Seems fair as you only get it if you win. He says okay.
4. He proceeds to kill me not once but twice while laughing. I don't get what I want even after being nice to help him out first.
5. He needs help later. I could have been nice but recall he was an ass earlier.

I would never lose a duel on purpose. It's called having pride, man.

Hero

Jazzy Network said:
Just called Amazon and they said they can't give me release date delivery for my CE cause there's no option for it :(

That's bullshit, I have release date delivery for me CE from Amazon.

epmode said:
Internet fantasy game = serious business

It's real to me dammit!

Its-Still-Real-to-Me-Dammit.jpg

If I used the SET ACCOUNT "CT" flag in the two WTF files, do I have all of the preload Cataclysm files? If I do, would I just need to upgrade my account with the registration key and I will be good to go?

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Twig said:

*EDITED FOR ACCURACY
He should have been a man and earned the achievement naturally.

DeathNote said:
As far as applying non critical updates goes.. in the past few nights I've seen it pop up and I've had everything installed for long time.

You sound like you're in the yellow stage.

"AVAILABLE (YELLOW): Base game, or 70% of content, is not completely applied. You can play, but your game experience will not be ideal. You should ideally have 1 MB/sec or better when choosing to play."

It's green stage. It's also at the end of the bar. I opened a ticket about it. GDJustin I didn't see your post before I replied.

16bev78.jpg

2 Days plus going. LAWL.

Yes, exactly right.

This expansion is gonna get me back into WOW. Gonna start a new guild with some buddies of mine. I have 5 scrolls resurrection if anyone needs one.

Sai-kun

Banned
Effect said:

2. I say okay.

You sound like a total asshole dude. :lol I'm sorry, but you really do.

DUFFMCWALIN said:
This expansion is gonna get me back into WOW. Gonna start a new guild with some buddies of mine. I have 5 scrolls resurrection if anyone needs one.
Same... I decided to come back in September after being unsubbed for a year and a half.

iammeiam

I just reactivated my account that has gone untouched since Vanilla WoW--according to my billing history the last time I played was October of 2006. Something about the promise of a giant frigging dragon randomly toasting the landscape convinced me to reactivate now; I had a sealed copy of the The Burning Crusade hanging around, so I finally activated that and will play around while deciding if I want to spring for WotLK and Cataclysm.

Every single thing my poor old character is probably beyond obsolete now.

Twig

Banned
Effect said:

2. I say okay.

Because you're crying about meaningless things. Pretty sure that gnome didn't go home and ask his mammy to kiss his boo-boo. He probably laughed. "Oh, you card. You got me back!"

I would laugh, anyway. :3

Ferrio

Banned
Oh god I'm downloading the client..... I haven't resubscribed but this isn't good.

I'm so torn on whether or not to play...

PROS:
-It's winter in alaska, not going outside isn't happening until may
-No good games coming out soon
-Cata looks awesome

CONS:
-My last attempt in the game ended bad when I got upset with my guild. It's sad cause my friend is in that guild... doubt I'd be welcomed back in (though I didn't leave like an asshat, I just up and quit). I really don't wanna have to find another damn guild and go through all that again... This probably my biggest con by far.
-I know how this game loves to suck hours and hours of my life... and for what?
-I'm going to have to get my ui set back up, figure out the new mechanics and everything and it's so much damn work.

iammeiam said:
I just reactivated my account that has gone untouched since Vanilla WoW--according to my billing history the last time I played was October of 2006. Something about the promise of a giant frigging dragon randomly toasting the landscape convinced me to reactivate now; I had a sealed copy of the The Burning Crusade hanging around, so I finally activated that and will play around while deciding if I want to spring for WotLK and Cataclysm.

Every single thing my poor old character is probably beyond obsolete now.

4 years or 4 months, you're all in the same boat now! :lol

vehn

Just resubbed! This game will never let me quit. I used to triple box back in BC but quit that because you couldn't raid with them, then I sold one of my guys and played wrath for a bit with the main guy. Then today I digitially bought 3 copies of cataclysm, 2 of wotlk (one for new account and other for the 70 that I didn't sell), and one copy of both BC and classic. That right there set me back about $210.

Then since I started a new account with RAF, I had to buy 3 months of time to get the mount (which still hasn't shown up yet, hope it does soon), and another month for one of the accounts, so that's $56. And then once tues hits I'll have to race change my 2 guys to goblin while I level up my new guy, so that's $50.

Yeesh, around $315. Wish I woulda made up my mind when they had the sale going a few weeks ago. At least I sold my G27 for $330 after paying $240 a few months ago, so I can at least tell myself some of the cost had been defrayed. Oh and I also bought 10k gold for $25 :/

Twig

Banned
vehn said:
Just resubbed! This game will never let me quit. I used to triple box back in BC but quit that because you couldn't raid with them, then I sold one of my guys and played wrath for a bit with the main guy. Then today I digitially bought 3 copies of cataclysm, 2 of wotlk (one for new account and other for the 70 that I didn't sell), and one copy of both BC and classic. That right there set me back about $210.

Then since I started a new account with RAF, I had to buy 3 months of time to get the mount (which still hasn't shown up yet, hope it does soon), and another month for one of the accounts, so that's $56. And then once tues hits I'll have to race change my 2 guys to goblin while I level up my new guy, so that's $50.

Yeesh, around $315. Wish I woulda made up my mind when they had the sale going a few weeks ago. At least I sold my G27 for $330 after paying $240 a few months ago, so I can at least tell myself some of the cost had been defrayed. Oh and I also bought 10k gold for $25 :/
uh huh

Ugh, I wish I could get back in. I just don't have the time for WoW anymore. Everytime one these expansions come out I almost get suckered back in. Have fun guys!!!

Sai-kun said:
You sound like a total asshole dude. :lol I'm sorry, but you really do.

No he doesn't. The dude screwed him over with the achievement so he screwed him back. I would have done the same. Unless I'm misunderstanding what happened.

Either way, I was really hoping to get the CE but I have spent WAY too much on gifts for people this year so I think I'll just get the regular edition.

Can't wait for Tuesday!

Sykotik

vehn said:
Just resubbed! This game will never let me quit. I used to triple box back in BC

Ha, that is nothing! Me and a friend RAF'd ourselves, and I used one of his multiple accounts (he has around 7 or 8 on his bnet right now) to run our 4 accounts through instances at the same time. I am a quint-boxing grandmaster.

psy18

Sykotik said:
Ha, that is nothing! Me and a friend RAF'd ourselves, and I used one of his multiple accounts (he has around 7 or 8 on his bnet right now) to run our 4 accounts through instances at the same time. I am a quint-boxing grandmaster.
:lol is that possible?
Any guides on multiboxing a dungeon?

Twig

Banned
kai3345 said:
Still got 5 Scrolls here

PM to get one
Do the other people even get anything out of scrolls?

I mean, I have scrolls too. Feel free to PM if you want a scroll!

Dresden

So, uh, I rolled on a RP server.

:lol

This is all refreshingly new. Always went Horde-PvP and it's quite a change. I think I'll roll a Worgen-whatever and become a furry or something.

notworksafe

Ferrio said:
CONS:
-My last attempt in the game ended bad when I got upset with my guild. It's sad cause my friend is in that guild... doubt I'd be welcomed back in (though I didn't leave like an asshat, I just up and quit). I really don't wanna have to find another damn guild and go through all that again... This probably my biggest con by far.
Come join up with the GAF peeps on Area 52 horde! We're pretty laid back and keep it shockingly drama free. :D

notworksafe

Don't want to change servers but don't want to find a guild on your own server? No wonder you aren't sure about playing. Just going solo would suck.

Alex

Non-critical updates just mean it's moving files around for the best performance it can give. It's not missing anything.

Area 52 is such an anomaly, it's like the only super high pop Horde PvE server. I'd try it myself if it wasn't EST and thus 150 latency for me instead of 30-40.

Every other US PVE server that showed good Horde pop though polled like the EXACT same population for me when I checked some Census stuff before picking a server for my Goblin. Hyjal, Proudmoore and Kilrogg seemed to have the most stable setups for PST PVE Horde (no more acronyms, argh)

Weenerz

Banned
vehn said:

If you paid for the RAF time with a credit card/debit card, it takes until the payment goes through to get the mount (2 months). But if you use a timecard, you get the reward instantly.

hamchan

So what are these new ways of turning in quests where you don't have to return to the quest giver? Someone told me about it but I haven't encountered one yet, doing Northrend quests currently.

notworksafe

hamchan said:
So what are these new ways of turning in quests where you don't have to return to the quest giver? Someone told me about it but I haven't encountered one yet, doing Northrend quests currently.
They are only in the new Azeroth at the moment. It's not every quest, just some of them. When you finish certain quests a button will pop up that prompts you to complete the quest and start the next in the chain.

It usually fits in lore-wise. Like a Goblin will be talking to you through a speaker, or a ghost will be speaking in your mind.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
hamchan said:
It only exists in a limited number of newer quests where it makes sense, so you won't see it in Northrend or Outlands.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
hamchan said:

It's cool actually. When you finish one stage of a multi-stage quest line, your on-screen quest log flashes a "complete quest" button. Click it, you instantly get the turn-in dialog box to claim your reward, and are offered a dialog box for the next quest in the chain.

In other words, remember those dumb quests where say, a guy wants you to run back up the mountain to get each part of a golem he's building individually? For quests that use the new system, it's not stupid anymore!

Pride

I've decided to jump back into WOW after Catalysm launches as to date its own of the best MMO's I ever played (right behind Asheron's Call). Anyway I have played a Paladin to level 60, then after burning crusade played a night elf rogue to 70, then after Lich King I played an undead rogue to 80. I know I want to play as a Worgen but I'm trying to decide what class to play. A bit about my playstyle:

- Because my family and job come first I only play when I can squeeze in time so I play almost entirely solo (unless I have to group for a quest)
- Once I hit 85 I will probably PvP a little but do little raiding
- I will be playing on a PvP server (I really wish WOW had Chaos servers)

I was going to play as a Rogue because I know what I'd be in for and they are a lot of fun to play but was wondering if anyone had any other recommendations?

Here are the classes Worgen's can play:

•Death Knight
•Druid
•Hunter
•Mage
•Priest
•Rogue
•Warlock
•Warrior

Evlar

Banned
hamchan said:
Did you ever do the Stranglethorn hunting quests? You have to hunt three different types of creatures: raptors, tigers, and panthers. The quests were constructed so that you had to kill, say, 10 Young Tigers. After killing them you ran back to the quest giver, he said 'Good work!' and gave you XP, then sent you off on a new quest to kill the next-strongest variety. After three repetitions of this you were given a quest to kill the biggest, baddest tiger in the jungle- a named rare- and then received lewtz to go with your XP.

Well, those quests still exist, with this difference: You do NOT have to run back to the quest giver after completing each type of tiger. Instead, you get a pop-up that lets you turn in the previous quest (for XP, just as before) and then grants you the new quest. This means less running back and forth to the quest giver. It's very nice on these long-chain questlines.

It's also used in places where returning to a questgiver is impractical, particularly in the revamped dungeons. Deadmines, for instance, has a questgiver at the beginning of the instance. As you kill each boss you will complete a quest then be given the next in the chain remotely.

Haeleos

I'm really finding it hard to get over the armor and character's appearance in this game. As much I appreciate the work they've done on the environments, the characters look so out of date now... especially with no costume mode or dyes to avoid the mismatched clown clothing issue this game has always had.

It would require quite a bit of work, but I think the playable races and the gear are all badly in need of a visual refresh for the next expansion. A big part of my enjoyment of these games and a lot of my friends is the look of our characters...

Lord of the Rings Online has amazing options for setting the appearance of your armor and it's colors... more MMOs need to copy a system like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom